• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sooperstar

• Ray Gin

• kila

• been here before

It's quiet here tonight, but last night was unbelievable, it absolutely hammered it down, thunder and lightning started at about 11 and finally finshed about a quarter to seven, the boffins estimated at over 50,000 lightning strikes and every one seemed to be around out house which is about 1000 ft above sea level, hellish.

John Findlay

Dont know if this will work but video looking through the roof of Waverley station at work tonight. Wouldnt load the videos. But, they are on my FB page.

Jambof3tornado
27 minutes ago, Locky said:

If anyone is on that lightning map website, look at the Stoke on Trent region. You think we had it bad?

Fookin nora!!!

1 hour ago, AlimOzturk said:

My ceiling is leaking and big huge wet patch has formed. **** sake

Mine as well. Both bedrooms upstairs have water coming through the light fittings. It's also coming down the walls as damp patches are forming.

**** sake.

Trying to get out of oakley and it’s impossible.tried going towards bald ridge burn in Dunfermline but was stopped by a guy who said don’t bother. Was going down to Torryburn to see my boy off on bus to first day at high school. Gutted tbh😪

safety first I suppose

9 minutes ago, Muppetboy said:

Trying to get out of oakley and it’s impossible.tried going towards bald ridge burn in Dunfermline but was stopped by a guy who said don’t bother. Was going down to Torryburn to see my boy off on bus to first day at high school. Gutted tbh😪

safety first I suppose

As you say safety first I’m sure your boy will understand ,hope he enjoys high school.

Not the worst I've seen can remember 2 different storms in New South Wales that were a lot worse for rain and nearby strikes. The lightening last night mostly stayed in the clouds so was just a big electrical storm. Not sure what stops it from coming down. Was still hearing thunder rumble at 5 this morning. Nothing like a thunderstorm to clear the air.

7 hours ago, Locky said:

Complete tangent but what happens in the situation that your flight lands at another airport? Assume they have to put on a bus service to get you to your initial airport?

Yeah,my pal got called in today to pick people up in Glasgow. 

24 minutes ago, Crete said:

As you say safety first I’m sure your boy will understand ,hope he enjoys high school.

Thank you mate, hoping to get back to see him returning though it may still be impassable 

Harry Potter
9 hours ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Very, very frightening me

Must admit i bottled it, the lightning never halted and just wee bits of thunder, weird.

Was amazing but missed the best of it in Livingston, Mrs Jamtartan woke me up about 5:10 this morning to have a look outside and it was monsoon levels of rain with lightning strikes all over the place and crashing loud thunder, had a look, went for a pish then got back into bed, kind of wish I stayed awake to watch it now. Never seen anything like it before and probably never will again 🤷🏻‍♂️   

I remember a T&L storm in Edinburgh in the late 80’s during the day - it was just before lunchtime.  It got so dark the streetlights came on.

I was working in Chambers Street at the time and it was the only time I’ve ever been a bit windy about lightning - it was directly overhead so it wasn’t really thunder it was like explosions at the same time as the lightning.  One was so loud we thought the building had been hit.  Only lasted about half an hour though.

Just now, Tazio said:

Meanwhile the forecast is for a lovely day today with bright sunshine and about 22c this afternoon. 

Met office amber alert still in place all day. I’m golfing today 😬

Shanks said no
11 hours ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

At least I am sober tonight if I get called out.

And I was called out and driving from Corstorphine to city centre at 2330 was a scary experience. As I went under the bridge at Roseburn a manhole in front of me on Wester Coates rose up with the pressure. Pure luck that I missed it. 

What I’m paid to attend wasn’t worth it last night. 

The Old Tolbooth

Was genuinely the best and most exciting storm I've ever seen in my life, I live in Rosyth and looking over the Forth towards Edinburgh and East towards Kirkcaldy, was just spectacular! You normally get flashes and then rolls of thunder, but the flashes were almost constant in the height of it, and the thunder was just one big continuous roar, there was actually no breaks in it at all, I've genuinely never hard that before! 

I notice that a train has derailed in Stonehaven this morning as they're not getting today what we had last night, I'm actually a bit jealous, but it's a shame for people who have suffered material losses through this storm, we were very lucky in Rosyth and not hit too badly with flooding, but only 5 miles East was completely submerged. 

fabienleclerq

Trains in Fife all cancelled due to flooding and landslides and one near Stonehaven has derailed with one fatality reported. 

I’d imagine the derailment was caused by the apocalypse last night. You would think they would check the tracks before running trains on them again. 

fabienleclerq
7 minutes ago, Boy Daniel said:

I’d imagine the derailment was caused by the apocalypse last night. You would think they would check the tracks before running trains on them again. 

Not sure it's possible to check them all, sounds like it was rerouted to pass a landslide. 

Almost all trains heading west out of Edinburgh are all cancelled. Storm has left railway in a mess 

Thsts not including the derailment which doesn’t look good 

Massive operation in Stonehaven it seems. Photo on the BBC website shows loads of Paramedics in attendance and plenty smoke billowing from the train too. No injuries reported as yet that I've seen. Hope nothing too serious.

fabienleclerq
1 hour ago, Locky said:

Massive operation in Stonehaven it seems. Photo on the BBC website shows loads of Paramedics in attendance and plenty smoke billowing from the train too. No injuries reported as yet that I've seen. Hope nothing too serious.

Reported driver is a fatality. 

IMG-20200812-WA0008.jpg

Jambo 4 Ever
3 hours ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

And I was called out and driving from Corstorphine to city centre at 2330 was a scary experience. As I went under the bridge at Roseburn a manhole in front of me on Wester Coates rose up with the pressure. Pure luck that I missed it. 

What I’m paid to attend wasn’t worth it last night. 

What do you do?

48 minutes ago, Natural Orders said:

What do you do?

He runs a business called "The Frenchman Returns". See all the packages you get delivered that you need to send back, but it's a pain the arse to do yourself? He'll do it for you. He turns up in a stripey jumper and beret, hits you with some French patter and then heads off to the post office for you for a small fee.

Shanks said no
2 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

He runs a business called "The Frenchman Returns". See all the packages you get delivered that you need to send back, but it's a pain the arse to do yourself? He'll do it for you. He turns up in a stripey jumper and beret, hits you with some French patter and then heads off to the post office for you for a small fee.

if only that were true, I would be sending @Natural Orders on a one way, 5 year ticket to Aubagne, suburb of Marseille, so that we could all get some peace. 

Edit - just noticed the post above and realised now isn’t a time for joking. Thoughts go out to all involved. 

Edited by The Frenchman Returns

Салатные палочки
2 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

:laugh: 

SwindonJambo

We've just had an apocalyptically wild bout of weather here. Whirlwinds, torrential rain and thunder and lightning. My neighbour's lost loads of tiles. Lasted about half an hour. Like a Florida Hurricane. This after 4 or 5 days of 30-34C blazing sunshine, lasting up to 430pm today.

23 hours ago, martoon said:

Don't recall ever seeing lightning like that. Constant flashes.

Quite enjoy a bit of extreme weather as long as it's the moderate Scottish variety. 

In light of the derailment a stupid post. 

Sorry. 

7 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

Hey!

Berets are cool when worn with stripey jumpers.  :smuggy:

The Real Maroonblood
2 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Hey!

Berets are cool when worn with stripey jumpers.  :smuggy:

Don’t forget the onions.

2 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Don’t forget the onions.

Nope, never forget the onions.

Or, the Pernod.  :boak:

The Real Maroonblood
14 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Nope, never forget the onions.

Or, the Pernod.  :boak:

It just reminds me that back in the day I remember Onion Johnnies in Edinburgh.😃

Edited by The Real Maroonblood