Salary Cap in Scottish Leagues

Pans Jambo

stuckinsunderland
17 hours ago, Allowayjambo1874 said:

A salary cap has been introduced in England’s lower divisions because the clubs are technically trading whilst insolvent due to wages to turnover ratio being over 100%. 

For all the ills of our game pretty much all clubs wages to turnover % is 60-70%. We collectively got our financial shit together over the last ten years. So from a financial perspective Scotland’s clubs do not need to impose a restriction. It definitely would help close the gap between everyone and Celtic if there was a cap but the argument (particularly from a weegie centric media) would be that the leagues standard would lowered.

Anyway Dungcaster would never get permission from Lawell so non-starter.

interestingly, as you say Scottish clubs have been forced into a better position over the last few years. This development may mean that non OF clubs are more attractive to that level of player and they also don’t lose players because they can’t compete with league 2 clubs in England. Perhaps

David McCaig
50 minutes ago, sassenach said:

Sorry to quote myself, can't edit.

I've just realised that the caps are in total, not per player. In that case I can see a situation where young players are blocked from coming through because clubs want to hold on to higher earning star players.

Its actually the opposite U21s are disregarded from the Salary Cap, so good youngsters are like gold dust.