Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
queensferryjambo

Eamonn Bannon Testimonial match vs Man Utd 1989 - Any photos?

Recommended Posts

queensferryjambo

I was looking for any photos from Eamonn Bannon's Testimonial match if everyone has any. I was at the game and remember it as being entertaining enough as far as non competitive games go. 

 

I know it is a tall order finding any but if there is anywhere that has been a fantastic resource in the past it has been here :)

 

I can only find 2 from the game but if anyone has any more I would love to see them please.

 

 

Hearts v Manchester United, 1989.jpg

bannon testimonial.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Auld Reekin'

Jim Leighton in a familiar pose there.   :greggy:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
queensferryjambo
Just now, Auld Reekin' said:

Jim Leighton in a familiar pose there.   :greggy:

 

He does look incredibly pissed off.

 

Not sure why as I am sure it was a penalty during a testimonial. Bannon obviously took it - can't remember if it went through bandy's legs ;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Auld Reekin'
1 minute ago, queensferryjambo said:

 

He does look incredibly pissed off.

 

Not sure why as I am sure it was a penalty during a testimonial. Bannon obviously took it - can't remember if it went through bandy's legs ;) 

 

Fair chance of that!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Riccarton3

What sort of gate did he get?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
leipzig76
2 hours ago, Riccarton3 said:

What sort of gate did he get?

Think it was about 18,000

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jamboman9
2 hours ago, Riccarton3 said:

What sort of gate did he get?

Was just short of 10k.

Was floating about in a relatively quiet Gorgie end that night.

He made 40k from it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
pablo

Was Bannon a Hearts fan? He's friends with a work colleague's Dad who I think have been friends since p.e. teacher training at Jordanhill together in the 70s?  He always seemed most passionate when talking about the end of his career for Spartans! Although I'm sure he'll surely rank being at the World Cup higher than that. Middle class footballers always stuck out a bit from the rest back in the day.

 

Cracking player.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
millerjames398

Loved this testimonial, and always remember mark Hughes being asked to be subbed before he was sent off👍🏼🇱🇻

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
millerjames398
16 hours ago, queensferryjambo said:

 

He does look incredibly pissed off.

 

Not sure why as I am sure it was a penalty during a testimonial. Bannon obviously took it - can't remember if it went through bandy's legs ;) 

😆 my old man always used to joke that he'd have been the greatest keeper in the world,, if his legs were straight, as he'd have been 7ft tall😆🇱🇻

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Australis

Eamonn owns a guest house on the way into Newington. See him so many mornings. He was a cracking player for us.  Group of us used to play football with him after school sometimes in a field at Ravenswood Avenue in the Inch.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The White Cockade

In his first spell as a youngster he was brilliant for us

Remember him scoring a hat trick as a midfielder  at Tynie against Killie I think

He could really hammer the ball

Transferred to Chelsea against his will by another one if our useless Boards of the 50’s 60’s and 70’s
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
millerjames398
6 minutes ago, The White Cockade said:

In his first spell as a youngster he was brilliant for us

Remember him scoring a hat trick as a midfielder  at Tynie against Killie I think

He could really hammer the ball

Transferred to Chelsea against his will by another one if our useless Boards of the 50’s 60’s and 70’s
 

Eamonn Bannon shoots like a cannon na na na na na👍🏼🇱🇻🇱🇻🇱🇻

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
joondalupjambo

Was Joe Jordan the manager at the time?  I have a photo of him playing in full Hearts strip contesting a header as you would expect given the man.   I wonder if it was during this testimonial match.  It is a professionally taken photo, Evening news photographer I believe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jamboman9
14 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

Was Joe Jordan the manager at the time?  I have a photo of him playing in full Hearts strip contesting a header as you would expect given the man.   I wonder if it was during this testimonial match.  It is a professionally taken photo, Evening news photographer I believe.

1990 Jordan joined us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
queensferryjambo
12 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

Was Joe Jordan the manager at the time?  I have a photo of him playing in full Hearts strip contesting a header as you would expect given the man.   I wonder if it was during this testimonial match.  It is a professionally taken photo, Evening news photographer I believe.

 

Alex MacDonald was the manager I believe in 1989/90 season.

 

It was Gary Mackay's testimonial Joe Jordan played and scored twice as well. 

 

Would love to see the photo anyway

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
joondalupjambo
1 minute ago, queensferryjambo said:

 

Alex MacDonald was the manager I believe in 1989/90 season.

 

It was Gary Mackay's testimonial Joe Jordan played and scored twice as well. 

 

Would love to see the photo anyway

Thanks for the two confirmation replies confirming manager.  I was a bit lazy and should have Googled myself😃

I will dig out the photo, it is an A4 size so pretty good.  Will see what I can do with it scan, photo etc. and PM you later in week.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
queensferryjambo
1 minute ago, joondalupjambo said:

Thanks for the two confirmation replies confirming manager.  I was a bit lazy and should have Googled myself😃

I will dig out the photo, it is an A4 size so pretty good.  Will see what I can do with it scan, photo etc. and PM you later in week.

 

 

 

Thanks that would be brilliant.

 

I was at Mackay's testimonial match but don't remember much apart from the goals.

 

I have also seen 2 versions of a testimonial shirt from Mackay's match but not sure what was actually worn.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1971fozzy
Posted (edited)

I mind there was a smoker for E Bannon somewhere  In fife. Federation gig I’m sure ? You bought the ticket and it was a free bar. If memory serves me right they had to tell folk to calm down because there was no way he was going to make money from it.  The nick of everyone and I’d doubt he did. Cracking night though. 

Edited by 1971fozzy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Macros

I think Eamonn was transferred to Chelsea under instruction from the bank as otherwise we were closing the doors.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
japanjambo

I remember the game after the board sold him to Chelsea. A cup tie at Raith Rovers on a frozen pitch. The board got pelters. We won 2-0. Wee Malky Robertson got both, if my memory serves me right. Bannon was a super player back then. Remember being in the school end when he balooned a penalty into Tynecastle school against Rangers!. Gutted, as he was normally pretty reliable from the spot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ToqueJambo

Bannon was such a class act. Seemed to glide past players.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GavK1012

Love these type of threads...

 

Keep em coming 😊😍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Chuck Berry

Didn't it pish down all/most of the game?  or am I mixing it up with another midweek game?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Morgan

I think Bannon was about the classiest midfielder I’ve ever seen at Hearts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
martoon

I was there, sober, but recall nothing other than Gary Pallister(sp) being the latest big name signing for them, a sub 10k att and a 2-4 defeat. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dagger Is Back
7 hours ago, The White Cockade said:

In his first spell as a youngster he was brilliant for us

Remember him scoring a hat trick as a midfielder  at Tynie against Killie I think

He could really hammer the ball

Transferred to Chelsea against his will by another one if our useless Boards of the 50’s 60’s and 70’s
 

Oh no Parker sent me

i don’t want to go to Chelsea

 

i think that was the song 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dagger Is Back
1 hour ago, japanjambo said:

I remember the game after the board sold him to Chelsea. A cup tie at Raith Rovers on a frozen pitch. The board got pelters. We won 2-0. Wee Malky Robertson got both, if my memory serves me right. Bannon was a super player back then. Remember being in the school end when he balooned a penalty into Tynecastle school against Rangers!. Gutted, as he was normally pretty reliable from the spot.


Damned fine memory JJ. That was my recollection too

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
LondonHearts

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
LondonHearts

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
LondonHearts

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
LondonHearts

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
LondonHearts

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
i8hibsh

I was at this game but seemed to recall the score being 2-3 Man Utd.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Montgomery Brewster

Drinks in Leslie’s boozer down Ratcliffe terrace 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ford donald
9 hours ago, Macros said:

I think Eamonn was transferred to Chelsea under instruction from the bank as otherwise we were closing the doors.

 

The board were desperate for cash,thats why he was sold to Chelsea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jimbojambo

The best two footed player I saw who was great in the air too. I thought he would make a great manager but just coached for a short period and gave up the game. As I recall he had a guest house in Joppa? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Gilamas
1 hour ago, jimbojambo said:

The best two footed player I saw who was great in the air too. I thought he would make a great manager but just coached for a short period and gave up the game. As I recall he had a guest house in Joppa? 

He was manager of Falkirk and there was some error - playing a player who was suspended or not registered or something. Falkirk took the opportunity to dismiss him and that was that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
luckydug

Went to Hibs after his testimonial iirc. 

In the same camp as Michael Stewart. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Weakened Offender
3 minutes ago, luckydug said:

Went to Hibs after his testimonial iirc. 

In the same camp as Michael Stewart. 

 

I'm firmly in this camp too. Too young to really remember him first time around and second time round, he stuck the knife in to Doddie and then slithered down the road to that mob. Rat. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JmSG

Bannon was primarily a central midfielder, playmaker, right? does anyone remember if he sometimes played as right / left midfielder?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Silvery_Moon
50 minutes ago, luckydug said:

Went to Hibs after his testimonial iirc. 

In the same camp as Michael Stewart. 

 

45 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

 

I'm firmly in this camp too. Too young to really remember him first time around and second time round, he stuck the knife in to Doddie and then slithered down the road to that mob. Rat. 

The Testimonial was in 1989 and he didn't go to Hibs as a coach until 1993 I am sure. 

 

He then came back to us a year later under Tommy McLean but as we know that also only lasted for a year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Weakened Offender
2 minutes ago, Silvery_Moon said:

 

The Testimonial was in 1989 and he didn't go to Hibs as a coach until 1993 I am sure. 

 

He then came back to us a year later under Tommy McLean but as we know that also only lasted for a year. 

 

He still signed and played for Hibs after leaving Hearts, who gave him a testimonial. 

 

He also made public comments that supported Mercer's sacking of Alex MacDonald. And he was involved in thd Tommy McLean debacle. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Silvery_Moon
8 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

 

He still signed and played for Hibs after leaving Hearts, who gave him a testimonial. 

 

He also made public comments that supported Mercer's sacking of Alex MacDonald. And he was involved in thd Tommy McLean debacle. 

Fair enough. I thought you meant he had left us to go to Hibs under Alex Mcdonald. 

 

I was unaware of the public comments supporting the sacking. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
queensferryjambo

Thanks for the pictures @LondonHearts 

 

Brilliant :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ToqueJambo
6 hours ago, Weakened Offender said:

 

I'm firmly in this camp too. Too young to really remember him first time around and second time round, he stuck the knife in to Doddie and then slithered down the road to that mob. Rat. 

 

He played one game for them aged 37 🤣 Went to them primarily to start coaching. He was a brilliant player for us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
amadjambo
18 hours ago, Morgan said:

I think Bannon was about the classiest midfielder I’ve ever seen at Hearts.

He’s certainly up there. Jim Bett just oozed class too. Imagine if we could have signed him 10 years earlier.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Weakened Offender
1 hour ago, ToqueJambo said:

 

He played one game for them aged 37 🤣 Went to them primarily to start coaching. He was a brilliant player for us.

 

One game too many for some. And he wasn't brilliant for us at all. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jimbojambo
46 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

 

One game too many for some. And he wasn't brilliant for us at all. 

First time round he was a one man team, taking all the set plays etc and we got relegated the year he was sold as I recall. Second time around he didn't have the same energy but I remember great goals against Hibs and Dundee United so he did OK. Always seemed an intelligent, pleasant guy so I have good memories of him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
luckydug
7 hours ago, Silvery_Moon said:

 

The Testimonial was in 1989 and he didn't go to Hibs as a coach until 1993 I am sure. 

 

He then came back to us a year later under Tommy McLean but as we know that also only lasted for a year. 

I know he didn't go straight to Hibs after the testimonial. 

However I don't believe he deserved a testimonial and the low crowd in attendance considering the opposition 

Indicates many others had that view. 

At that time testimonials were offered as sweeteners in contract negotiations. 

In other words the fans were expected to foot the bill for already wealthy players. 

Having had a payday from the Hearts fans it was disrespectful signing for Hibs. 

He played the best years of his career away from Hearts if any team was giving him a testimonial it should have been Dundee Utd. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  



×
×
  • Create New...