Eamonn Bannon Testimonial match vs Man Utd 1989 - Any photos?

queensferryjambo

Guest ToqueJambo
5 minutes ago, luckydug said:

I know he didn't go straight to Hibs after the testimonial. 

However I don't believe he deserved a testimonial and the low crowd in attendance considering the opposition 

Indicates many others had that view. 

At that time testimonials were offered as sweeteners in contract negotiations. 

In other words the fans were expected to foot the bill for already wealthy players. 

Having had a payday from the Hearts fans it was disrespectful signing for Hibs. 

He played the best years of his career away from Hearts if any team was giving him a testimonial it should have been Dundee Utd. 

I think the point about testimonials in those days is footballers didn't make nearly as much as they do now. A testimonial was a chance to reward and say goodbye to a good servant, which Bannon certainly was.

You're probably right that it might have been part of his contract. If so, worth it as we signed one of the best players in the league from a very, very good D Utd team even if they were starting to decline when we signed him. Even in his second spell we had a typical up and down league position but got a 3rd and 2nd and he was a big part of an amazing European run.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• queensferryjambo

• martoon

• LondonHearts

• The White Cockade

Silvery_Moon
36 minutes ago, luckydug said:

However I don't believe he deserved a testimonial and the low crowd in attendance considering the opposition 

In other words the fans were expected to foot the bill for already wealthy players. 

He played the best years of his career away from Hearts if any team was giving him a testimonial it should have been Dundee Utd. 

Yeah I think that's a fair point to be honest. At  the time I remember my dad being disappointed Bannon had gone to Hibs. My memory was it was just as a coach but hadn't realised it was as a player too. 

queensferryjambo
11 minutes ago, luckydug said:

Testimonials were definitely offered as sweeteners back then. 

Bannon was a great player for Hearts both spells at Hearts IMO but I honestly don't think he played in the era where players got rich from football. 

On a side note a visit from Man Utd was hardly a big deal in 1989. They had been in the doldrums for decades and been in the shadow of Liverpool, Arsenal, Everton, Forest & Villa. They hadn't won the league and had won a total of 3 FA Cups since the 60s. Hard to believe considering the incredible explosion of success they would have a few years later. Man Utd won the FA Cup that season which saved Fergie his job which on reflection is mad they were even contemplating getting rid of him. 

I would also say it was hardly disrespectful to Hearts signing for Hibs. He never signed as a player he signed as a coach once his playing career was over. He only played for Hibs once because they were stuck for players due to injuries and suspensions.

He played his testimonial in 1989 and his last competitive game for Hearts was May 1993. His last game for Hearts was December 1994.  He hardly took the money then legged it.

10 minutes ago, queensferryjambo said:

Testimonials were definitely offered as sweeteners back then. 

Bannon was a great player for Hearts both spells at Hearts IMO but I honestly don't think he played in the era where players got rich from football. 

On a side note a visit from Man Utd was hardly a big deal in 1989. They had been in the doldrums for decades and been in the shadow of Liverpool, Arsenal, Everton, Forest & Villa. They hadn't won the league and had won a total of 3 FA Cups since the 60s. Hard to believe considering the incredible explosion of success they would have a few years later. Man Utd won the FA Cup that season which saved Fergie his job which on reflection is mad they were even contemplating getting rid of him. 

I would also say it was hardly disrespectful to Hearts signing for Hibs. He never signed as a player he signed as a coach once his playing career was over. He only played for Hibs once because they were stuck for players due to injuries and suspensions.

He played his testimonial in 1989 and his last competitive game for Hearts was May 1993. His last game for Hearts was December 1994.  He hardly took the money then legged it.

I agree.

We did go through a period when a large number of players got testimonials. Hard to imagine now. Bannon’s wasn’t real earned for me in the way that the others were. Still went though. 

On 04/08/2020 at 07:33, i8hibsh said:

I was at this game but seemed to recall the score being 2-3 Man Utd.

I was there and I thought it was 2-2! Think I still have the programme somewhere.

LondonHearts
5 hours ago, Mr Benn said:

We did go through a period when a large number of players got testimonials. Hard to imagine now. Bannon’s wasn’t real earned for me in the way that the others were. Still went though. 

From

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Testimonial_match

The practice started at a time when player compensation, even those at top professional clubs, was at a level that made it difficult to maintain it as a primary form of employment therefore retirement savings might not exist. These matches are generally well-attended (not always the case with Hearts) and the gesture by the club can give the honoree income that enables a retirement income base or enable the honoree an opportunity to establish themselves in other employment when they finished playing. This is still the main objective of testimonials in Australia, Ireland and some other countries.

Clubs typically grant testimonials to players upon reaching ten years of service with a club, although in recent years they have been given to players for particular circumstances such as approaching retirement.

1897-05-12 Wed Hearts 0-0 Rest of Edinburgh 19:00 (George Scott Benefit. Game advertised in EEN. Team selected in minute books. And amount raised £47-1-0 is mentioned in minute book. No result found.)

1901-08-20 Tue Hearts 3-3 Celtic 19:00 6000 (Davie Baird benefit.)
1903-03-24 Tue Hearts 0-0 St Cuthberts Co-Operative 15:30 (Alex Wilson ex Hearts Testimonial)
1903-08-17 Mon Hearts 2-4 Rangers 18:45 5000 (George Hogg Testimonial)
1905-08-21 Mon Hearts 3-2 Rangers 18:40 5000 (Charlie Thomson Testimonial)

1910-08-22 Mon Hearts 0-2 Hibernian 1500 (Tom Collins Testimonial)

1913-09-03 Wed Hearts 2-2 Falkirk 1000 (Peter Nellies Benefit)
1914-04-27 Mon Hearts 4-2 Everton 18:30 6000 (George Sinclair Testimonial)
1919-08-27 Wed Hearts 2-3 Glasgow XI 13000 (Bob Mercer Testimonial)

1920-04-14 Wed Hearts 1-1 West of Scotland 18:45 10000 (George Sinclair Testimonial)
1920-08-18 Wed Hearts 1-3 Scottish Select 10000 (Paddy Crossan testimonial)
1921-01-04 Tue Hearts 2-0 Edinburgh XI 5000 (Willie Wilson Testimonial)
1921-04-25 Mon Hearts 0-1 Bradford City 14000 (Peter Nellies Testimonial)
1921-09-26 Mon Hearts 0-1 Leeds United 8500 (Bob Preston Testimonial)
1922-04-03 Mon Hearts 1-0 Cardiff City 12000 (Jock Wilson Testimonial)
1924-04-14 Mon Hearts 0-3 Manchester United 19:00 11000 (Paddy Crossan 2nd testimonial)
1924-09-24 Wed Hearts 1-0 Preston North End 2000 (Jock Ramage Testimonial)
1925-04-28 Tue Hearts 3-0 Bury 4000 (John Murphy Testimonial)
1925-09-09 Wed Hearts 4-1 Airdrieonians Abandoned 100 (Jock Gilfillan. Supposed to be against Celtic but they pull out because of Glasgow Cup tie. Match abandoned shortly after half time)
1928-04-30 Mon Hearts 1-2 Leeds United 7000 (Willie White Testimonial)
1929-04-09 Tue Hearts 3-3 Newcastle United 6000 (John Johnston Testimonial)

1931-04-27 Mon Hearts 1-5 Middlesbrough 3000 (Willie Murray Testimonial)
1931-04-29 Wed Hearts 1-1 Sunderland 3000 (Lachlan Macmillan Testimonial)
1931-09-28 Mon Hearts 1-2 Newcastle United 1998 (Bob King testimonial)
1934-08-15 Wed Hearts 5-1 Sportklub Rapid Wien 22621 (Andy Anderson Testimonial.)
1934-09-24 Mon Hearts 3-0 Huddersfield Town 6500 (Jack Harkness Testimonial)
1935-11-06 Wed Hearts 4-2 Beogradski SK 14:45 12610 (Alex Massie benefit)
1936-09-23 Wed Hearts 1-1 Chelsea 8578 (Willie Reid & Sandy Herd benefit)
1938-04-11 Mon Hearts 2-1 Derby County 22000 (Tommy Walker benefit)

1940s None

1950s None

1960-10-31 Mon Hearts 2-2 Raith Rovers 6600 (George Dobbie Testimonial - last appearance together of the 'Terrible Trio')
1962-11-05 Mon Hearts 2-2 Sheffield United 19:30 15000 (Willie Bauld Testimonial)

1970s None

1984-05-15 Tue Hearts 2-3 Rangers 17853 (Alex MacDonald Testimonial)
1987-10-18 Sun Hearts 1-1 Everton 8171 (Walter Kidd Testimonial)
1989-09-26 Tue Hearts 2-4 Manchester United 19:30 9001 (Eammon Bannon Testimonial)

1991-05-13 Mon Hearts 2-0 Everton 19:30 5575 (Gary Mackay Testimonial)
1992-07-27 Mon Hearts 1-0 Newcastle United 19:30 11105 (John Robertson Testimonial)
1993-08-02 Mon Hearts 0-2 Everton 19:30 9213 (Henry Smith Testimonial)
1995-10-08 Sun Hearts 1-5 Coventry City 15:00 2711 (Craig Levein Testimonial)
1996-03-18 Mon Hearts 1-3 Olympique Lyonnais 19:30 6221 (Neil Berry Testimonial)
1997-07-26 Sat Hearts 3-2 Rangers 15:00 7892 (Dave McPherson Testimonial)
1997-10-12 Sun Hearts 0-1 Hibernian 14:00 8057 (Craig Levein Second Testimonial)

2008-05-11 Sun Hearts 4-3 Heart of Midlothian Select 7000 (Robbie Neilson Testimonial)

2019-07-08 Mon Hearts 1-1 Inverness Caledonian Thistle 19:30 1846 (Angus Beith benefit)

queensferryjambo
21 minutes ago, LondonHearts said:

From

The practice started at a time when player compensation, even those at top professional clubs, was at a level that made it difficult to maintain it as a primary form of employment therefore retirement savings might not exist. These matches are generally well-attended (not always the case with Hearts) and the gesture by the club can give the honoree income that enables a retirement income base or enable the honoree an opportunity to establish themselves in other employment when they finished playing. This is still the main objective of testimonials in Australia, Ireland and some other countries.

1992-07-27 Mon Hearts 1-0 Newcastle United 19:30 11105 (John Robertson Testimonial)

1997-10-12 Sun Hearts 0-1 Hibernian 14:00 8057 (Craig Levein Second Testimonial)

A few points here.

1. Some wikipedia pages anyone can go in and change the part with Hearts was clearly written in by a Hibs fan. It is one of the only things Hibs fans can genuinely mock Hearts for. They aren't wrong but the fact one of their obsessed zoomers took the time to write this on a wikipedia page speaks volumes for their support. 

2. IMO Hearts done John Robertson a terrible injustice playing his Testimonial on a Monday night. We played Tottenham on the Saturday just 2 days earlier. The Saturday game should have been his testimonial match.

3. Being pedantic here but Levein's 1997 match wasn't a testimonial it was a benefit match as he had to retire early due to injury. SKY TV were very happy to screen this match during the international break weekend.

Would love to see a video of this game again but it never seems to show up anywhere which is odd as I would have thought Hibs fans would have stuck it all over youtube as it was a win at Tynecastle. 

1997101201%20Hibernian%200-1%20Tynecastl

43270220_10217521458055397_6753885220270

LondonHearts
2 hours ago, queensferryjambo said:

A few points here.

1. Some wikipedia pages anyone can go in and change the part with Hearts was clearly written in by a Hibs fan. It is one of the only things Hibs fans can genuinely mock Hearts for. They aren't wrong but the fact one of their obsessed zoomers took the time to write this on a wikipedia page speaks volumes for their support. 

2. IMO Hearts done John Robertson a terrible injustice playing his Testimonial on a Monday night. We played Tottenham on the Saturday just 2 days earlier. The Saturday game should have been his testimonial match.

3. Being pedantic here but Levein's 1997 match wasn't a testimonial it was a benefit match as he had to retire early due to injury. SKY TV were very happy to screen this match during the international break weekend.

Would love to see a video of this game again but it never seems to show up anywhere which is odd as I would have thought Hibs fans would have stuck it all over youtube as it was a win at Tynecastle. 

The bit in bold was my addition it is not on the Wiki page! I should have made it clearer.

I've updated the 2nd CL game notes.

LondonHearts

3 other Edinburgh / East of Scotland games

1920-04-14 East of Scotland 1-1 West of Scotland Tynecastle Park 10000 (George Sinclair Testimonial)

1925-12-02 Edinburgh 3-2 Glasgow Tynecastle Park 1500 (Jock Gilfillan Benefit)

1930-04-30 East of Scotland 3-2 West of Scotland Tynecastle Park 6000 (John McCartney testimonial)

queensferryjambo
3 hours ago, LondonHearts said:

The bit in bold was my addition it is not on the Wiki page! I should have made it clearer.

I've updated the 2nd CL game notes.

Ha ha brilliant.

There was me fizzing about some Hibs fan as well :) 

Always felt sorry for Walter Kidd. Played the reigning English champions Everton but on the day after we had lost to Hibs at Easter Road, thereby ending our 17 game unbeaten run.  Pretty sure he would have got a bigger crowd if we had won. 

Edited by Mr Benn

Could you clarify a question about Eamonn Bannon, I think he was mainly a central midfielder, a playmaker, but there are those who mention him as a left winger, in Dundee Utd there are people who remember him that way.

On 06/08/2020 at 01:37, Mr Benn said:

Always felt sorry for Walter Kidd. Played the reigning English champions Everton but on the day after we had lost to Hibs at Easter Road, thereby ending our 17 game unbeaten run.  Pretty sure he would have got a bigger crowd if we had won. 

Definitely right.  I thought that at the time.

On 04/08/2020 at 21:45, queensferryjambo said:

Oh and surely that picture is Dave McCreery not Scott Crabbe. 

Defo McCreery.

I'm pretty sure I didn't go to the EB testimonial as I'd just moved South but I do remember watching us play Man United in another testimonial or a pre-season in the 80s.

Actually, just checked London Hearts and it was the 1986 2-2 friendly draw.

On 13/08/2020 at 13:38, BarneyBattles said:

His first spell was before my time but he definitely played on the left wing during his second spell. He had a great understanding with Tosh McKinley at left back.

Thanks for the clarification, so it's correct that played on the left, I had my information wrong.

Holyrood_Hearts
On 04/08/2020 at 10:07, Weakened Offender said:

I'm firmly in this camp too. Too young to really remember him first time around and second time round, he stuck the knife in to Doddie and then slithered down the road to that mob. Rat. 

Behave 

Holyrood_Hearts

This was my first ever Hearts game. 

I don’t mind much of Bannon as a Hearts player but his wife was a teacher at my primary school.  

• 1 year later...

hope ok to ask as can't find any info online.... Looking to see names of Eamon Bannon's parents, I am researching my family history and mam is a Bannon. Heard a story of a Bannon who left ireland for Scotland and was a footballer..... Thanks

On 04/08/2020 at 17:54, Weakened Offender said:

One game too many for some. And he wasn't brilliant for us at all. 

Don't talk shite. Eammon Bannon to this day is still the most skilful outfield player I have witnessed wearing a Hearts Jersey. 

Fond yet distant memories of playing on the hallowed turf that night. Well beaten by a Hearts u12s side in a prelude to the actual match!  I obviously didn't do much in the game as there was no approach afterwards either from my boyhood heroes or from sir alex!

Neverforgetfiveone
On 03/08/2020 at 22:35, martoon said:

I was there, sober, but recall nothing other than Gary Pallister(sp) being the latest big name signing for them, a sub 10k att and a 2-4 defeat. 

I remember being at a Hearts v Man Utd game. 2-2 draw and Frank Stapleton scored both their goals… Take it that it wasn’t this game? I was very young lol.

Bannon was a brilliant player for us and I distinctly remember a lot of hype around him leaving for bigger things before he went to Chelsea, despite him being a grumpy bassa when I spoke to him when working in The Rutland one night (me not him 😉). Can't believe a lot of the comments about him going to Hibs, these guys have a living to make, they are not fans, they have mouths to feed and it's a job to them.

Kalamazoo Jambo
1 hour ago, CK Tennant said:

hope ok to ask as can't find any info online.... Looking to see names of Eamon Bannon's parents, I am researching my family history and mam is a Bannon. Heard a story of a Bannon who left ireland for Scotland and was a footballer..... Thanks

Hi - welcome to Kickback. Eamonn Bannon is Edinburgh born and bred but I don’t know his parents’ names. Hopefully someone else on here can help out with that. Best of luck.

On 05/08/2020 at 12:38, LondonHearts said:

From

Clubs typically grant testimonials to players upon reaching ten years of service with a club, although in recent years they have been given to players for particular circumstances such as approaching retirement.

1897-05-12 Wed Hearts 0-0 Rest of Edinburgh 19:00 (George Scott Benefit. Game advertised in EEN. Team selected in minute books. And amount raised £47-1-0 is mentioned in minute book. No result found.)

1901-08-20 Tue Hearts 3-3 Celtic 19:00 6000 (Davie Baird benefit.)
1903-03-24 Tue Hearts 0-0 St Cuthberts Co-Operative 15:30 (Alex Wilson ex Hearts Testimonial)
1903-08-17 Mon Hearts 2-4 Rangers 18:45 5000 (George Hogg Testimonial)
1905-08-21 Mon Hearts 3-2 Rangers 18:40 5000 (Charlie Thomson Testimonial)

1910-08-22 Mon Hearts 0-2 Hibernian 1500 (Tom Collins Testimonial)

1913-09-03 Wed Hearts 2-2 Falkirk 1000 (Peter Nellies Benefit)
1914-04-27 Mon Hearts 4-2 Everton 18:30 6000 (George Sinclair Testimonial)
1919-08-27 Wed Hearts 2-3 Glasgow XI 13000 (Bob Mercer Testimonial)

1920-04-14 Wed Hearts 1-1 West of Scotland 18:45 10000 (George Sinclair Testimonial)
1920-08-18 Wed Hearts 1-3 Scottish Select 10000 (Paddy Crossan testimonial)
1921-01-04 Tue Hearts 2-0 Edinburgh XI 5000 (Willie Wilson Testimonial)
1921-04-25 Mon Hearts 0-1 Bradford City 14000 (Peter Nellies Testimonial)
1921-09-26 Mon Hearts 0-1 Leeds United 8500 (Bob Preston Testimonial)
1922-04-03 Mon Hearts 1-0 Cardiff City 12000 (Jock Wilson Testimonial)
1924-04-14 Mon Hearts 0-3 Manchester United 19:00 11000 (Paddy Crossan 2nd testimonial)
1924-09-24 Wed Hearts 1-0 Preston North End 2000 (Jock Ramage Testimonial)
1925-04-28 Tue Hearts 3-0 Bury 4000 (John Murphy Testimonial)
1925-09-09 Wed Hearts 4-1 Airdrieonians Abandoned 100 (Jock Gilfillan. Supposed to be against Celtic but they pull out because of Glasgow Cup tie. Match abandoned shortly after half time)
1928-04-30 Mon Hearts 1-2 Leeds United 7000 (Willie White Testimonial)
1929-04-09 Tue Hearts 3-3 Newcastle United 6000 (John Johnston Testimonial)

1931-04-27 Mon Hearts 1-5 Middlesbrough 3000 (Willie Murray Testimonial)
1931-04-29 Wed Hearts 1-1 Sunderland 3000 (Lachlan Macmillan Testimonial)
1931-09-28 Mon Hearts 1-2 Newcastle United 1998 (Bob King testimonial)
1934-08-15 Wed Hearts 5-1 Sportklub Rapid Wien 22621 (Andy Anderson Testimonial.)
1934-09-24 Mon Hearts 3-0 Huddersfield Town 6500 (Jack Harkness Testimonial)
1935-11-06 Wed Hearts 4-2 Beogradski SK 14:45 12610 (Alex Massie benefit)
1936-09-23 Wed Hearts 1-1 Chelsea 8578 (Willie Reid & Sandy Herd benefit)
1938-04-11 Mon Hearts 2-1 Derby County 22000 (Tommy Walker benefit)

1940s None

1950s None

1960-10-31 Mon Hearts 2-2 Raith Rovers 6600 (George Dobbie Testimonial - last appearance together of the 'Terrible Trio')
1962-11-05 Mon Hearts 2-2 Sheffield United 19:30 15000 (Willie Bauld Testimonial)

1970s None

1984-05-15 Tue Hearts 2-3 Rangers 17853 (Alex MacDonald Testimonial)
1987-10-18 Sun Hearts 1-1 Everton 8171 (Walter Kidd Testimonial)
1989-09-26 Tue Hearts 2-4 Manchester United 19:30 9001 (Eammon Bannon Testimonial)

1991-05-13 Mon Hearts 2-0 Everton 19:30 5575 (Gary Mackay Testimonial)
1993-08-02 Mon Hearts 0-2 Everton 19:30 9213 (Henry Smith Testimonial)
1995-10-08 Sun Hearts 1-5 Coventry City 15:00 2711 (Craig Levein Testimonial)
1996-03-18 Mon Hearts 1-3 Olympique Lyonnais 19:30 6221 (Neil Berry Testimonial)
1997-07-26 Sat Hearts 3-2 Rangers 15:00 7892 (Dave McPherson Testimonial)

2008-05-11 Sun Hearts 4-3 Heart of Midlothian Select 7000 (Robbie Neilson Testimonial)

2019-07-08 Mon Hearts 1-1 Inverness Caledonian Thistle 19:30 1846 (Angus Beith benefit)

Levein hasn't half done well out of Hearts.

Samuel Camazzola
On 04/08/2020 at 00:04, LondonHearts said:

1989-09-26_HEA_2_MNU_4_F-002

Is this Mike Phelan with Hughes in the background? 

On 04/08/2020 at 00:04, LondonHearts said:

1989-09-26_HEA_2_MNU_4_F-004

The caption says Crabbe but looks more like McCreery. 

3 hours ago, Neverforgetfiveone said:

I remember being at a Hearts v Man Utd game. 2-2 draw and Frank Stapleton scored both their goals… Take it that it wasn’t this game? I was very young lol.

I think the game you were at (2-2) was a friendly in 1985 or maybe 86.

Bannon's testimonial (2-4) was sometime in 1989.

5 hours ago, CK Tennant said:

He has brothers and one of them is named Paddy (presumably Patrick).

Probably not much help but it's all I have.

In response to earlier posts Eamonn was naturally right footed but, feeling that being one sided was a flaw, worked hard to remedy it.

Great dedication which served him very well. 

I forget which UEFA Cup tie it was, maybe Velez Mostar, but Bannon had the opposition right back all over the shop. The guy started by covering him as if he was a one sided lefty only for EB to effortlessly cut inside and onto his natural right.

Next attack Eamonn did the opposite and ran the poor bugger ragged all evening.

Practicing with your weaker foot, too, should be drummed into young, aspiring footballers.

17 minutes ago, martoon said:

In response to earlier posts Eamonn was naturally right footed but, feeling that being one sided was a flaw, worked hard to remedy it.

Great dedication which served him very well. 

I forget which UEFA Cup tie it was, maybe Velez Mostar, but Bannon had the opposition right back all over the shop. The guy started by covering him as if he was a one sided lefty only for EB to effortlessly cut inside and onto his natural right.

Next attack Eamonn did the opposite and ran the poor bugger ragged all evening.

Practicing with your weaker foot, too, should be drummed into young, aspiring footballers.

One of they first things my dad told me when I was a nipper was to learn to play with both feet. So I did. Unfortunately they were both left ones😂

J.T.F.Robertson
17 minutes ago, Canscot said:

One of they first things my dad told me when I was a nipper was to learn to play with both feet. So I did. Unfortunately they were both left ones😂

I did the same only of my own volition, still didn't manage to "scale the heights".

Eamonn was a pal of our next door neighbour's grandson in the Pleasance, I vaguely remember bumping into them in some club or other back in Pre-Cambrian times, cannie remember if it had been pre-arranged or if I was stalking him.

Edited by J.T.F.Robertson

I went to a Eamonn Bannon testimonial event where i won first prize in the raffle. A signed strip that he apparently wore in the match. I still have it somewher😃

LarrysRightFoot
On 03/08/2020 at 18:16, joondalupjambo said:

Was Joe Jordan the manager at the time?  I have a photo of him playing in full Hearts strip contesting a header as you would expect given the man.   I wonder if it was during this testimonial match.  It is a professionally taken photo, Evening news photographer I believe.

That was against Everton - maybe Gary MacKays testimonial? Think Jordan got both our goals in a 2-0 win. 

One of my first games, if not the first.

50 minutes ago, LarrysRightFoot said:

That was against Everton - maybe Gary MacKays testimonial? Think Jordan got both our goals in a 2-0 win. 

One of my first games, if not the first.

Gary missed a penalty, iirc. Well, Southall saved it.

Pitiful turnout.

I remember getting home and a Hibs neighbour asking me about the game. Refused to believe that Jordan came of the bench and scored twice.

8 hours ago, Canscot said:

Almost certain my dad said the same. I was very left footed.

12 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Looked at it a few times now and I still can't tell who it is.

I'm certain it's not Scott, though.

Maybe Eamonn himself? Looks a bit too hirsute on first look but the camera angle, the floodlights...?

The 1989/90 team was a good one. Lead the table in the early months and stayed in touch with Rangers until about the March, iirc. In the end only 7 points shy of the title.

Genuinely believed we'd win the Cup after the 4-0 mauling of Motherwell in the rain and with Rangers already out. A great performance that day and there was a few others that season.

Remember it fondly.

13 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Is this Mike Phelan with Hughes in the background? 

Some things never change the EEN got it wrong even back then. Lazy journalisn.

The White Cockade
On 04/08/2020 at 17:54, Weakened Offender said:

One game too many for some. And he wasn't brilliant for us at all. 

You obviously didn’t watch him mate Great player and imo if he hadn’t been forced down to Chelsea would have been one of our all time greats Was absolutely superb when he broke in to the team as a teenager 

1 minute ago, The White Cockade said:

You obviously didn’t watch him mate Great player and imo if he hadn’t been forced down to Chelsea would have been one of our all time greats Was absolutely superb when he broke in to the team as a teenager 

I was gutted when he went down South and then quite shortly after came back up to star for Dundee United.  Terrible times to be a Hearts supporter. 

The White Cockade
Just now, davemclaren said:

I was gutted when he went down South and then quite shortly after came back up to star for Dundee United.  Terrible times to be a Hearts supporter. 

Aye I don’t know how some of the Robbie haters would have coped in the 70’s! 😂

Perth to Paisley
On 03/08/2020 at 15:23, pablo said:

Was Bannon a Hearts fan? He's friends with a work colleague's Dad who I think have been friends since p.e. teacher training at Jordanhill together in the 70s?  He always seemed most passionate when talking about the end of his career for Spartans! Although I'm sure he'll surely rank being at the World Cup higher than that. Middle class footballers always stuck out a bit from the rest back in the day.

Cracking player.

Wasn't a Hearts fan at school (Celtic if anybody. Was far from bring middle class!

On 03/08/2020 at 22:12, japanjambo said:

I remember the game after the board sold him to Chelsea. A cup tie at Raith Rovers on a frozen pitch. The board got pelters. We won 2-0. Wee Malky Robertson got both, if my memory serves me right. Bannon was a super player back then. Remember being in the school end when he balooned a penalty into Tynecastle school against Rangers!. Gutted, as he was normally pretty reliable from the spot.

Penalty wasn't ballooned - hit it with such power and it just cleared the bar. 3 inches lower and it was in, it wasn't and ended up in fhe school playground.

On 12/08/2020 at 11:53, JmSG said:

Could you clarify a question about Eamonn Bannon, I think he was mainly a central midfielder, a playmaker, but there are those who mention him as a left winger, in Dundee Utd there are people who remember him that way.

Had two good feet. Jim McLean played him mostly down the left

On 28/09/2021 at 21:22, Kalamazoo Jambo said:

Hi - welcome to Kickback. Eamonn Bannon is Edinburgh born and bred but I don’t know his parents’ names. Hopefully someone else on here can help out with that. Best of luck.

Mr snd Mrs 🙂

queensferryjambo
On 28/09/2021 at 19:32, CK Tennant said:

Why not contact Eammon Bannon direct? He runs a guest house, here is a link to the contact details - http://www.strathallanguesthouse.com/

Eamonn was my kind of lesser hero. Hot on the heels of the days of Robbo, JC etc....it was hard for other players to become the favourite of the fans.  

I thought he was a class player, almost unassuming for a footballer. Can never recall any fans who didn’t rate him or didn’t like him.  

There was a period when he was at United that I thought he was the the best midfielder in Scotland.

Favour player by miles pre robbo.  Still is out with Robbo.   

Gutted as a younger when he left and hated Chelsea because of it.

Couldn't do it as I'd feel like a weirdo, but I'd live to spend a night at his guest house just to even get a coffee made by him.

Hard to forgive that one hibs appearance against Dundee.

Without looking it up...

Who was his first cap against?   

I remember being really upset when he was sold to Chelsea. He was sold a couple of years after we had sold on Ralph Callaghan I think to Newcastle United. We were a club in steep decline at the time unable to hold onto any talent. It was incredibly demoralising for us young ones who had been brought up on tales of Conn, Bauld and Wardaugh and the great team of the 50s.

I think Bannon was part of the Dundee United team that won the league in 1983 and reached the semi final of the European Cup the year after. 

Edited by Libertarian