*** Other Scottish football match thread, for anyone who gives a ****

tartofmidlothian

Fitzroy Pointon

Do they not have a similar play-off to the Premiership; second bottom plays play-off winner? 

• Replies 63.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hearts007

• neilnunb

• Mikey1874

• Bazzas right boot

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

heartsfc_fan
1 minute ago, Salad Fingers said:

Do they not have a similar play-off to the Premiership; second bottom plays play-off winner? 

Only the Premiership does that for some reason. Lower leagues don't.

Fitzroy Pointon
Just now, heartsfc_fan said:

Only the Premiership does that for some reason. Lower leagues don't.

Doesn't seem very fair on the second bottom team. But that's Scottish football for ye. Nothing makes sense. 

1 minute ago, Salad Fingers said:

Doesn't seem very fair on the second bottom team. But that's Scottish football for ye. Nothing makes sense. 

Id say it is very fair , what isnt is the premiership second bottom team getting a distinct advantage by only having to negotiate one tie and the team they play two or three

7 minutes ago, Kalamazoo Jambo said:

Queen’s Park could yet denied promotion due to failing minimum shirt quality standards.

Do they even have a stadium? At the semi final lesser Hampden looked nowhere near complete 

Hackney Hearts
19 minutes ago, Salad Fingers said:

Queens Park have already beaten 2nd bottom of the Championship (Dunfermline) in the semi-final, have they not?

It's done in a different order to the Premiership for some reason.

2 minutes ago, Newton51 said:

Do they even have a stadium? At the semi final lesser Hampden looked nowhere near complete 

They're looking at Firhill I think. 

John Findlay

Queens Park played the home leg of the play off against Airdrie at Firhill.

Kalamazoo Jambo
4 minutes ago, Newton51 said:

1 minute ago, Hmfc1965 said:

They're looking at Firhill I think. 

Apparently Partick aren’t willing to groundshare any longer…

https://www.pitchcare.com/news-media/partick-thistle-fc-reveal-ground-share-with-queen-s-park-will-not-continue-next-season.html

Not clear where they’ll play next season as far as I can tell.

1 minute ago, Kalamazoo Jambo said:

https://www.pitchcare.com/news-media/partick-thistle-fc-reveal-ground-share-with-queen-s-park-will-not-continue-next-season.html

Hopefully they'll find somewhere  

They've made a real mess of redeveloping Lesser Hampden. 

29 minutes ago, Salad Fingers said:

the premiership playoff is deliberately weighted in favour of the premiership side while the other playoffs are more fair with ties and schedule

Fitzroy Pointon
36 minutes ago, sadj said:

Id say it is very fair , what isnt is the premiership second bottom team getting a distinct advantage by only having to negotiate one tie and the team they play two or three

Aye what I mean is it should be uniform across all leagues. 

2 hours ago, sadj said:

Walking? 🤔 Things that didnt happen type post imo

Is it more believable if I told you I was walking from KFC where I ate my weight in chicken, to Sainsburys where I wanted to buy fags? :lol: 

10 minutes ago, Locky said:

Is it more believable if I told you I was walking from KFC where I ate my weight in chicken, to Sainsburys where I wanted to buy fags? :lol: 

Still dubious but yes that does add some sense of possibility to the tale 🤣

By ate your weight in protein do you mean replenishing your protein stocks after emptying them yesterday wi yer cheesy sausage “supper” 

14 minutes ago, Locky said:

KFC had that much stock in?

12 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻🤣 well played

1 hour ago, Kalamazoo Jambo said:

Broadwood stadium will be looking for someone to use their stadium now Clyde play in Hamilton. Start of last season I’m sure QP were playing in Falkirk.

44 minutes ago, sadj said:

Still dubious but yes that does add some sense of possibility to the tale 🤣

By ate your weight in protein do you mean replenishing your protein stocks after emptying them yesterday wi yer cheesy sausage “supper” 

You know it. Least one Hun got pumped yesterday. And this morning. :jjyay: 

42 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

I've just lost a lot of weight lately. :ninja: 

6 minutes ago, Locky said:

You know it. Least one Hun got pumped yesterday. And this morning. :jjyay: 

I've just lost a lot of weight lately. :ninja: 

By pumped you mean lay still underneath ya and pretended to enjoy it so she didn’t make you feel bad after you took her to man milk central

RustyRightPeg

Don’t blame Partick for abandoning the pitch share. Their surface was an utter disgrace as a result of it having double the use. 

2 hours ago, sadj said:

By pumped you mean lay still underneath ya and pretended to enjoy it so she didn’t make you feel bad after you took her to man milk central

oWArFHP2HN7W.gif

Fxxx the SPFL

Hobbits wheel out the Dnipro kids before today’s game good on them for what they have done but getting a bit desperate to try and boost the attendance 

DesertDawg

You'd think so but another factor is that money seems very tight due to sponsor cancellations and dropping crowds after the Goodwillie fiasco in which McGlynn was apparently involved, or he'd probably still be there.

Watt-Zeefuik

Outstanding for Queen's Park. Honestly would love to see them and all their history break through to the top tier.

And since I'm behind on this thread, I keep thinking of how some Highland clubs have said they would decline promotion to the SPFL because it wouldn't improve their revenues and would just add a lot of travel expenses for them and their fans. Says it all about how badly the lower end of the SPFL needs to be regionalized, or simply merged down into the already regionalized lower pyramid.

Two 16 team leagues with better revenue sharing and revive the city cups over Christmas and Hogmany. Sorted.

6 hours ago, sadj said:

Spot on, only in Scotland would we have a different play-off system for the top league than the others.  Everything is geared towards the team that finishes second bottom.

If you look at the other leagues, Dunfermline and Dumbarton, who finished second bottom in the Championship and League 1 respectively, were both relegated in the play-off semis by the teams who finished 4th in the league below, who both then went on to win their play-off final.  For 4th place in the Championship to get promoted they'd have to beat 3rd place, then 2nd place then 2nd bottom of the Premiership who automatically make the play-off final.

25 minutes ago, Led Tasso said:

Outstanding for Queen's Park. Honestly would love to see them and all their history break through to the top tier.

And since I'm behind on this thread, I keep thinking of how some Highland clubs have said they would decline promotion to the SPFL because it wouldn't improve their revenues and would just add a lot of travel expenses for them and their fans. Says it all about how badly the lower end of the SPFL needs to be regionalized, or simply merged down into the already regionalized lower pyramid.

Two 16 team leagues with better revenue sharing and revive the city cups over Christmas and Hogmany. Sorted.

That was a couple of years ago some in Highland League were saying that. It might influence how much they invest but I don't think anyone will turn it down. 

If anything the success of Cove Rangers should be encouraging them now. 

Watt-Zeefuik
1 minute ago, Mikey1874 said:

That was a couple of years ago some in Highland League were saying that. It might influence how much they invest but I don't think anyone will turn it down. 

If anything the success of Cove Rangers should be encouraging them now. 

Cove are a bit of a special case, though, eh? Being in the Aberdeen conurbanization means their fans have access to better transit links, plus the distant chance of establishing a true Aberdeen derby.

Their growth potential is really another level compared to, say, Wick Academy.

6 minutes ago, Led Tasso said:

Cove are a bit of a special case, though, eh? Being in the Aberdeen conurbanization means their fans have access to better transit links, plus the distant chance of establishing a true Aberdeen derby.

Their growth potential is really another level compared to, say, Wick Academy.

Or Bonnyrigg and Kelty Hearts

DesertDawg
30 minutes ago, RobNox said:

Spot on, only in Scotland would we have a different play-off system for the top league than the others.  Everything is geared towards the team that finishes second bottom.

If you look at the other leagues, Dunfermline and Dumbarton, who finished second bottom in the Championship and League 1 respectively, were both relegated in the play-off semis by the teams who finished 4th in the league below, who both then went on to win their play-off final.  For 4th place in the Championship to get promoted they'd have to beat 3rd place, then 2nd place then 2nd bottom of the Premiership who automatically make the play-off final.

Has it been done?  I don't recall.  😗

42 minutes ago, DesertDawg said:

Has it been done?  I don't recall.  😗

3rd or 4th in Championship have never been promoted. 

Just Hamilton and Dundee who finished 2nd.

2 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Livi as well (but they also finished 2nd).

Saint Jambo
1 hour ago, RobNox said:

When I've talked to fans of lower league clubs in England, most of them hate the play-offs because they feel it is unfair that you can finish third, massively outperforming a team in 6th over the league season, but then get the team in 6th going up on the back of a couple of games.

In Scotland, making it an extra step harder for the team that finishes 3rd or 4th to get up than the team that finishes 2nd makes a lot of sense. It rewards the better performance in the league. Whether the team in 11th should be included is a different question.

Edited by Saint Jambo

DesertDawg
16 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Got it!  Tks Mikey.  👍

DesertDawg
16 minutes ago, DC_92 said:

Livi as well (but they also finished 2nd).

Got that too.  Tks.😁

jamboinglasgow
1 hour ago, Led Tasso said:

Queens Park are certainly determined to get back to where they were early in their history. Will be fascinating to see how they get on in the Championship.

I think promotion and relegation has made the leagues quite interesting for next season in the lower leagues. League Two could see Bonnyrigg do what Kelty did this season. League One is getting tougher and tougher. You have the upstart climbers in Kelty and Edinburgh City, the close rans in Airdrie and Montrose. Alloa can be a surprise, and of course the fallen giants (relative to the third tier) of Falkirk and Dunfermline. The Championship will be as tough as ever, you have a lot of similar size clubs in Partick, Hamilton, Dundee, then the ones who could push in Raith, will Arbroath be able to do the same as this season? St Johnstone or Inverness as well. Then you have the joker of Cove Rangers, are they still going to have an upward trajectory. It could make things very interesting.

Inverness have players missing tonight.    Looks like they are going to struggle to get a draw.   St Johnstone full bench and four strikers to pick from.   They should be winning tonight.    First leg, no pressure except not to lose. 

I've went for a score draw but feel St Johnstone should win easy. 

Tasavallan

My thoughts are that St Johnstone will play it cagey and go for a 0-0 to take back to Perth.

jamboinglasgow
35 minutes ago, HMFC01 said:

Inverness have players missing tonight.    Looks like they are going to struggle to get a draw.   St Johnstone full bench and four strikers to pick from.   They should be winning tonight.    First leg, no pressure except not to lose. 

I've went for a score draw but feel St Johnstone should win easy. 

Its a tough game for Inverness, but St Johnstone are in this for play-off for a reason. Inverness has shown in the play-offs that they can scrape out a result in these play-offs.

Malinga the Swinga

St Johnstone on top but they struggle to score goals. If Inverness could scrape a win, St Johnstone will be up against it.

Shit crowd tonight and the second leg won't be any better.

Malinga the Swinga
Just now, Malinga the Swinga said:

St Johnstone on top but they struggle to score goals. If Inverness could scrape a win, St Johnstone will be up against it.

Shit crowd tonight and the second leg won't be any better.

Then again, what do I know. 1-0 Saints.