The Clubs of Your Youth

Салатные палочки

What was the club in Edinburgh with about 3 levels.

Think it was near Shakespeare's.

Fell out of there a few times when I was younger.

Vividly remember talking pish to Steven Pressley.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• luckyBatistuta

• Governor Tarkin

• Marvin

• Салатные палочки

Салатные палочки

I only ever went to one club in Edinburgh and it was when I was at a Unison Young Members weekend. I think it was the Liquid Rooms but I might be wrong, it looked like an old church. Was a really good night but that might have been helped by the pink champagne we were taking before it. 

One of the guys that was with us was from Lerwick. He had never been off the islands before. He was in heaven that night :laugh:. Actually, his head nearly exploded when he seen the size of the 24hour Asda. 

4 hours ago, yvonnejambo said:

I used to love Buster Browns and Wilkie House. Amphitheatre was the first one I ever went to and remember being very impressed with the light show 😂

I got kicked out of there for dancing on the tables, pissed of course (even though it was an under 18's night) :laugh:

4 hours ago, the general said:

Joy !

Joy was something else if it was a good night. And happily no threat of potential violence from bams. 

Another one people might remember (though I’d understand if your memory is damaged) was Sativa. Utter carnage in there on occasion, for punters who found Pure a bit mainstream. 

Governor Tarkin
1 hour ago, Vlad Magic said:

Colours at Mercado.

Many a swedger dealt with at that night!!

Ooft, another good shout. Nae wonder my brain is like a jar of picklet ingins.

9 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Joy was something else if it was a good night. And happily no threat of potential violence from bams. 

But the occasional threat of some bare-chested bloke in chaps and devil horns prodding you with a trident as you were trying to get a drink.

1 minute ago, Governor Tarkin said:

But the occasional threat of some bare-chested bloke in chaps and devil horns prodding you with a trident as you were trying to get a drink.

Well  there was always that I suppose. On the flip side gay men always seem to have a lot of hot straight female friends. 

Governor Tarkin
3 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Well  there was always that I suppose. On the flip side gay men always seem to have a lot of hot straight female friends. 

😁

I quite enjoyed the whole thing tbh.

5 hours ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Crikey, now you're asking!

Must've been very early nineties, probably 92, and a can't mind what name I went by. Either lost boy or my own.

I was introduced to one of the lassies that ran the club by the resident at Cubik Andy Stentiford who went by the name of the Mariner and used to occasionally guest at moist. Her name escapes me now but she was a tall skinny blonde lassie.

My opening track was a techno number called the lords prayer. My hands were shaking so much I could hardly get the record on the deck. I was 17 or 18 at the time.

Found the link to the tune but dunno how to embed it.

https://youtu.be/wx0c13WFjgI

That will be Alana by the sounds of it. Yeah remember when he used to play. Some cracking memories made (lost) there hahaha :)

2 hours ago, Tazio said:

Another one people might remember (though I’d understand if your memory is damaged) was Sativa. Utter carnage in there on occasion, for punters who found Pure a bit mainstream. 

Yep, mentioned it further up. Great clubs, always good quality "refreshments" on offer there too! Was never sure about the drummers though, to be honest. 

J.T.F.Robertson

Gonna go back, waaay back. :(

Walker's, Romano's, The Place, Gamp, Top Storey, The Attic. (my first)

yvonnejambo
4 hours ago, Marvin said:

I got kicked out of there for dancing on the tables, pissed of course (even though it was an under 18's night) :laugh:

Did you sneak drink in?  My main memory of there was guys coming up to me when my friend went to the toilet to ask whether my mate was single, it was hard going out with a stunningly beautiful friend 😫

Psychedelicropcircle

In my younger days busters / PJ Clarke’s, then paradox club at CS, pure / tribal at the venue, various nights in the vault then honeycomb random visits to Wilkie house la bell angel & another place along the west end that had a bed in it ferk knows wot that was called? 

these days I occasionally go to MFSB a day time club 😂 getting auld ken

queensferryjambo

UFO first then Pure on a Friday at the Venue. Wave, Disco Inferno, Tribal Function on a Saturday at the Venue. Still got my membership cards for some of those clubs. Worked at Pure for a bit as well. 

Most of the other clubs listed by other people I would have been to in the late 80s early nineties era as well. First club I got into underage was Cinderellas. 

redtipsjambo
12 hours ago, **** the SPFL said:

Jackie O's in Kirkcaldy forgot about that one and there was also one in Dunfermline the name escapes me i'm sure our friend CL and an ex pars player had some involvement and the Chase in Bonnyrigg we were told that burds outnumbered the guys by six to one eh not true other way round lol.

Lorenzo marques in Dunfermilne was where I used to see CL

was it not John Watson and Norrie McAthie that had a club, might have been called Cagney's

3 hours ago, jonnothejambo said:

Clouds, Valentino's and Buster Browns were the Jonno's places of worship. 

I have some tales to tell about the goings on in these places, but those with a delicate constitution would not be able to cope.

That’s My era as well, although I can’t remember much about it.

4 hours ago, jonnothejambo said:

I have some tales to tell about the goings on in these places, but those with a delicate constitution would not be able to cope.

Clouds!

Jurassic Park or Alton Towers, more like.  

Fiver to get in,  full of dinosaurs and all the rides were free.

14 hours ago, yvonnejambo said:

Did you sneak drink in?  My main memory of there was guys coming up to me when my friend went to the toilet to ask whether my mate was single, it was hard going out with a stunningly beautiful friend 😫

Know what you mean 😭 I never stood a chance with the girls when I went with my pal's. Because one of us looked older, getting a carry out was never a problem and he always got a snog (occasionally more) wherever we went. Good looking barsteward that he was. 

doctor jambo
On 25/07/2020 at 11:25, Salad Fingers said:

Ruby Tuesdays was the one on the right hand side of the shopping centre if your coming from the town end. The entrance to Amanda's is still there in the shopping centre, I think they did food on the first floor and the club/bar was downstairs. I might try and get pics when I'm down later. 

I'm not from here originally but according to the GF there was loads of clubs now there's only really one actual club, Pitchers, which by all accounts is rough. 

The Ship Inn is closed now. Not sure how long for though. Pubs open and close all the time down here. 

Ship inn is closed for good, one of the brothers killed himself

Салатные палочки
1 hour ago, doctor jambo said:

I had heard that someone involved had died but didn't know it was suicide. Tragic. 

On 25/07/2020 at 17:30, jonnothejambo said:

'Valentino's  definitely  the place to be Jonno. Clouds was only a desperate back up :whistling:

Also used to frequent a small club in Grindlay Street but can't for the life of me remember the name.

Slightly later in life an evening in the Dreadnought in Bathgate was something to behold.

Harry Potter

Corstorphine disco was good on a saturday night, at 18 i helped at the door, wee trip to

the corrie inn, good nights.

Liked oscars up town, west end club once, buster browns, pubs in rose street , olivers good for talent.

1 minute ago, jonnothejambo said:

Any port in a storm  mm :wink:

Yeh probably ended up in Clouds more times than  i used to admit to 😂 

Century 2000, The Biz(now Club Tropicana), The Red Hot, Walkers, not very imaginative😁.     Had many good nights though, alot with the football guys I played with back in the early 90s at the time.

I also remember a wee club down Queensferry Street Lane I went to around 96 as a teammate knew the guy that owned it. Can’t remember it’s name though? Music was cracking. Mainly house music. 

Out of them, I preferred The Biz or The Red Hot.  The Biz in particular. It was just off the back of the rave scene and the place was heaving as more and more people had to head for the clubs.  The music was varied but decent, keeping away from cheese.  

The Red Hot was handy for an end of night kebab from Topkapi before the long walk home to the Calders. Taxis just kept blanking you because they wanted back into the town centre for a bigger fare😁

Edited by Debut 4

11 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

If I close my eyes I can still smell the place.....

I know exactly what you mean.

There was also the certain girls who wore a particularly obnoxious perfume, you could smell them before you could see them (if you know what I mean!!)

Rupert Pupkin
On 24/07/2020 at 21:11, Governor Tarkin said:

Friday nights at the Paradox Club at the Calton Studios. Saturday night at Club Solution at the Calton Studios. Occasionally Pure at the Venue, and then Cubik at the 9c Victoria St (the Liquid Rooms) once all of the other good clubs had either been busted or got too full of wannabe Hibs casuals.

The odd we trip to the Metro in Saltcoats, Moist in Rosyth (scene of my first ever DJ set), another place in Fife that escapes me, and laterly the Bunker at Camps.

Many years later on I got right into Split on a Tuesday night and We are Electric on a Wednesday night at Cab Vol.

An honourable mention to Taste and Luvely at various times and venues over the years.

That's a lot of Gary Abletts and Heath Ledgers. Nae wonder I post pish.

The Kronk.?

45 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

Corstorphine disco was good on a saturday night, at 18 i helped at the door, wee trip to

the corrie inn, good nights.

Liked oscars up town, west end club once, buster browns, pubs in rose street , olivers good for talent.

West End Club on a Sunday night was good, Harold.  It became Fire Island, I think?

Olivers (managed by Dave Clunie) was a good boozer in it's day. 

33 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

If I close my eyes I can still smell the place.....

:greggy:  A warm, moist smell aye?

Harry Potter
1 minute ago, Morgan said:

West End Club on a Sunday night was good, Harold.  It became Fire Island, I think?

Olivers (managed by Dave Clunie) was a good boozer in it's day. 

👍

I must have been a bit of a party animal in olden times.

Jackie O and Bentley's in Kirkcaldy was a bus full of us.

Buster Browns.

Flanagan's/Bobby McGees.

The Pub (Rose Street)

Annabelle's.

Cinderellas.

Piper's.

Cardinal Follies (Glasgow)

Misty's.

Manhattan.

Bubbles.

Cat's Pyjamas.

Sinatra's.

Telecom's Club.

Hi-Spots (Dalkeith)

Plenty others but that'll do for now.

Always loved my harder stuff:

Oxygen and Pillbox at Calton Studios. 

Absolute at the Venue

NuklearPuppy at Ego

For a bit of a change in speed, Luvely, DiscoKitten and Mercado. 

Not to mention numerous trips to Code/Air in Birmingham for Godskitchen, Sanctuary in Leeds for Sundissential and once or twice Republic in Sheffield for Gatecrasher. 

How I survived that lot I will never know :rofl:

Edited by trotter

yvonnejambo
14 hours ago, doctor jambo said:

That’s very sad to hear 

Governor Tarkin
5 hours ago, trotter said:

Always loved my harder stuff:

Oxygen and Pillbox at Calton Studios. 

Absolute at the Venue

NuklearPuppy at Ego

For a bit of a change in speed, Luvely, DiscoKitten and Mercado. 

Not to mention numerous trips to Code/Air in Birmingham for Godskitchen, Sanctuary in Leeds for Sundissential and once or twice Republic in Sheffield for Gatecrasher. 

How I survived that lot I will never know :rofl:

Mrs Tarkin was a regular chin-swinger at NuklearPuppy. 

Carl Weathers
On 25/07/2020 at 20:20, Psychedelicropcircle said:

In my younger days busters / PJ Clarke’s, then paradox club at CS, pure / tribal at the venue, various nights in the vault then honeycomb random visits to Wilkie house la bell angel & another place along the west end that had a bed in it ferk knows wot that was called? 

these days I occasionally go to MFSB a day time club 😂 getting auld ken

What's this day time club? Sounds interesting!

15 hours ago, Debut 4 said:

Century 2000, The Biz(now Club Tropicana), The Red Hot, Walkers, not very imaginative😁.     Had many good nights though, alot with the football guys I played with back in the early 90s at the time.

I also remember a wee club down Queensferry Street Lane I went to around 96 as a teammate knew the guy that owned it. Can’t remember it’s name though? Music was cracking. Mainly house music. 

Out of them, I preferred The Biz or The Red Hot.  The Biz in particular. It was just off the back of the rave scene and the place was heaving as more and more people had to head for the clubs.  The music was varied but decent, keeping away from cheese.  

The Red Hot was handy for an end of night kebab from Topkapi before the long walk home to the Calders. Taxis just kept blanking you because they wanted back into the town centre for a bigger fare😁

I went to Banana Jax below for a year or so. The closest I got to pulling in there was a girl who just got engaged and was on a night out with her bridesmaids to be. :(

Edited by Marvin

Psychedelicropcircle
54 minutes ago, Carl Weathers said:

What's this day time club? Sounds interesting!

MFSB at the street every 1st & 3rd Saturday of the month. 2-8 

3 hours ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Mrs Tarkin was a regular chin-swinger at NuklearPuppy. 

It was never that big a venue, so there's a reasonably good chance I've bumped into her (both metaphorically and literally) at some point!

Edited by trotter

Tribal Function and Pure at The Venue. Regularly knocked back from the likes of wilkie house after drinking all day then popping pills.

Was at the bunker in Livingston a couple of times, great atmosphere. 

Carl Weathers
20 minutes ago, Psychedelicropcircle said:

MFSB at the street every 1st & 3rd Saturday of the month. 2-8 

Cheers. 

Samuel Camazzola
16 hours ago, Debut 4 said:

In early 2000s, it was Berlin Bierhaus. Decent wee place. 

7 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

In early 2000s, it was Berlin Bierhaus. Decent wee place. 

👍🏻Think it’s always had a good rep.  Just can’t remember what it was called circa 96?

Psychedelicropcircle
41 minutes ago, Carl Weathers said:

Cheers. 

To point out the obvious it’s not a happening thing atm👍

millerjames398
On 25/07/2020 at 00:37, luckyBatistuta said:

First was Cinderella’s

Outer Limits/Bermuda Triangle

Buster Browns
Amphitheater

Dillingers (met the wife there)

Century 2000

Venue (Guy called Gerald was superb there)

Some cracking Saturday night trips away

Quite a few Saturdays through in Glasgow. Fury Murray’s was good during the Acid scene. One night we just couldn’t get in anywhere, then we found this club where the doorman were super friendly and we thought this will do. We were back out again two minutes later when we saw all these guys sucking the face off each other on the dance floor (Tin Pan Alley)

Quite a lot of trips to Fife too

And Elgin 🤷‍♂️🤯. Can’t remember why, I’m thinking it might have been to do with The Hitman and Her...ended up in a police station at the end of the night though😞

Im sure i saw an episode of hitman and her, at flicks nite spot in brechin?..brechin city still had an advert for it on their advert boards..in 1994😂😂😂