The Clubs of Your Youth

Салатные палочки

Салатные палочки

Had a discussion with the girlfriend today about a club that may or may not have existed at some point years ago in Irvine. This led to a discussion of where we used to go when we were young. 

Now, the thought of a nightclub these days gives me the fear and the last time I was in one I walked out after half an hour as I felt really old. But it was a staple part of the weekend from about 17/18 until I was say, 30. 

Fury Murrys (Paisley) - used to be hard to get in to years ago. Last time I went they were practically begging us to go in. 

IKON (Paisley) - Rough as arseholes but you could relax unless you were from two particular schemes in Paisley (Seedhill or Shotroods). 

Libertys (Paisley) - strange place with strange clientele. I mostly remember cheap vodka, a rodeo bull in the corner and my mate getting chucked out for trying to pass off fake £20 notes at the bar. 

Institute (Paisley) - The place you went to if you couldn't get in anywhere else. Had games like drink a pint of beans or swap clothes with a girl and win free drinks. They had really thick carpets in certain bits that tripped you up, an excuse for the bouncers to chuck you out for being too drunk. 

Bonkers (Glasgow) - enough said. 

Privilege (Glasgow) - one of my favourites. Trevor Reilly played good music and there was rarely any trouble. They also did Shag Tag on a Thursday and filmed it once for a programme on Bravo, which a few people told me I was on, although I never seen it. 

Archaos (Glasgow) - a bit like Bonkers 

The Tunnel (Glasgow) - music used to be good then it changed to RnB and became full of W's. 

The Garage (Glasgow) - 50p a vodka on a Thursday night. Full of students. 

The Arches (Glasgow) - could count on one hand the amount of times I went but never had a bad night, mostly due to the help of a little something that was in abundance in there. 

The Moon (Glasgow) - the ultimate rough nightclub but seriously can't remember a bad night it was that much of a laugh. Music would go from Public Domain to Abba in the scratch of a needle, it smelled funny, your shoes literally stuck to the carpet, you could get a ride in the toilets if you wanted to. We ended up at some scary after-parties after there, one up in those high rise flats in Parkhead where the girl who's house it was locked us in and refused to let us leave. She only relented when my mate threatened to throw her cat out the window. 

I'm sure there was more but given I had to ask my mate to remind me of the name of a couple of these ones, I doubt I can remember. 

So, over to you lot. Where was your regular haunts? 

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• luckyBatistuta

• Governor Tarkin

• Marvin

• Салатные палочки

davemclaren

Was never much of a club goer but the occasional visit to the West End Club, royal mile club, Valentino's and one in Rose Street that I can’t remember the name of. 

Fxxx the SPFL
18 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Was never much of a club goer but the occasional visit to the West End Club, royal mile club, Valentino's and one in Rose Street that I can’t remember the name of. 

yep West End Club, Valentino's aka Muscular Arms, Clouds, Americana (Fat Sam's possibly) BMC (local nickname broken marriages club) on a friday night for discos. Over forty years since i frequented any of them giving my age away now lol.

davemclaren
6 minutes ago, **** the SPFL said:

yep West End Club, Valentino's aka Muscular Arms, Clouds, Americana (Fat Sam's possibly) BMC (local nickname broken marriages club) on a friday night for discos. Over forty years since i frequented any of them giving my age away now lol.

Same here. 

Governor Tarkin

Friday nights at the Paradox Club at the Calton Studios. Saturday night at Club Solution at the Calton Studios. Occasionally Pure at the Venue, and then Cubik at the 9c Victoria St (the Liquid Rooms) once all of the other good clubs had either been busted or got too full of wannabe Hibs casuals.

The odd we trip to the Metro in Saltcoats, Moist in Rosyth (scene of my first ever DJ set), another place in Fife that escapes me, and laterly the Bunker at Camps.

Many years later on I got right into Split on a Tuesday night and We are Electric on a Wednesday night at Cab Vol.

An honourable mention to Taste and Luvely at various times and venues over the years.

That's a lot of Gary Abletts and Heath Ledgers. Nae wonder I post pish.

Салатные палочки
26 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Friday nights at the Paradox Club at the Calton Studios. Saturday night at Club Solution at the Calton Studios. Occasionally Pure at the Venue, and then Cubik at the 9c Victoria St (the Liquid Rooms) once all of the other good clubs had either been busted or got too full of wannabe Hibs casuals.

The odd we trip to the Metro in Saltcoats, Moist in Rosyth (scene of my first ever DJ set), another place in Fife that escapes me, and laterly the Bunker at Camps.

Many years later on I got right into Split on a Tuesday night and We are Electric on a Wednesday night at Cab Vol.

An honourable mention to Taste and Luvely at various times and venues over the years.

Wish I could have experienced the Metro, Hanger 13, the Rez etc. I'm not even a big dance fan but everything just looked so enjoyable back then. No posers, just people having a great time. My sister got to experience it and I was always jealous when her and her mates headed out for the bus to wherever they were going that weekend. 

The Kitchen down the Cowgate was always our end destination.

As time went on, it was the Liquid Rooms (we had been in there a few times when it was Music Box).

The Mission, when it moved to Studio24 (Calton Studios as was). Superb.

Liquid Rooms indie nights were also great.

Legends/The Attic on the Cowgate, which then merged to form Opium. Still going strong with a club night every day of the week.

The piv in Ayr was my local ( Hanger 13 to the youngsters), The Arches in Glasgow and Room at the top on colours nights were brilliant.

Governor Tarkin
2 hours ago, Cade said:

The Mission, when it moved to Studio24 (Calton Studios as was). Superb.

Liquid Rooms indie nights were also great.

Was the Mission not on Victoria St originally too? If so I agree on both counts.

52 minutes ago, Marvin said:

The Bunker in East Calder was my old regular haunt. 

We've probably gurned at each other in real life, Marv.

DJ'd at the bunker a couple of times too. The place had horrible accoustics but that didn't really seem to matter at the time.

luckyBatistuta

First was Cinderella’s

Outer Limits/Bermuda Triangle

Buster Browns
Amphitheater

Dillingers (met the wife there)

Century 2000

Venue (Guy called Gerald was superb there)

Some cracking Saturday night trips away

Quite a few Saturdays through in Glasgow. Fury Murray’s was good during the Acid scene. One night we just couldn’t get in anywhere, then we found this club where the doorman were super friendly and we thought this will do. We were back out again two minutes later when we saw all these guys sucking the face off each other on the dance floor (Tin Pan Alley)

Quite a lot of trips to Fife too

And Elgin 🤷‍♂️🤯. Can’t remember why, I’m thinking it might have been to do with The Hitman and Her...ended up in a police station at the end of the night though😞

Oh, you kids!

Sneaky Pete’s then La Sorbonne, next door.

Honourable mention for Jackie O’s (Kirkcaldy) and Oil Can Harry’s (Falkirk) and, of course, McTavish’s (Fort William)

luckyBatistuta
5 minutes ago, FWJ said:

Oh, you kids!

Sneaky Pete’s then La Sorbonne, next door.

Honourable mention for Jackie O’s (Kirkcaldy) and Oil Can Harry’s (Falkirk) and, of course, McTavish’s (Fort William)

Went to Jackie O’s loads of times. The Hitman and Her were defo there

6 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Went to Jackie O’s loads of times. The Hitman and Her were defo there

That mirrored entrance was always a recipe for disaster after a few pints....

Pure at the Venue is rightly regarded as one of the best house/techno clubs ever in the UK. Glad I was there for the majority of it. 

luckyBatistuta
23 minutes ago, FWJ said:

That mirrored entrance was always a recipe for disaster after a few pints....

:lol:  Always a few tidy bits up giving it big licks  on those wee podiums

Rosies (closed down now) falkirk on a Thursday night was always good when I was young.

Ballroom dunfermline was the go to one.

Nothing special about it.

Had a close call with one of the bouncers wee Hibs casual whoe had a book written later in life.

Room at the top in Bathgate was quality in its day not sure if it's still around.

Fubar in Stirling was in it 2 years ago for team night out. Don't remember it being as loud in early 2000's

Too old for that game 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

9 hours ago, Salad Fingers said:

Had a discussion with the girlfriend today about a club that may or may not have existed at some point years ago in Irvine. This led to a discussion of where we used to go when we were young. 

Now, the thought of a nightclub these days gives me the fear and the last time I was in one I walked out after half an hour as I felt really old. But it was a staple part of the weekend from about 17/18 until I was say, 30. 

Fury Murrys (Paisley) - used to be hard to get in to years ago. Last time I went they were practically begging us to go in. 

IKON (Paisley) - Rough as arseholes but you could relax unless you were from two particular schemes in Paisley (Seedhill or Shotroods). 

Libertys (Paisley) - strange place with strange clientele. I mostly remember cheap vodka, a rodeo bull in the corner and my mate getting chucked out for trying to pass off fake £20 notes at the bar. 

Institute (Paisley) - The place you went to if you couldn't get in anywhere else. Had games like drink a pint of beans or swap clothes with a girl and win free drinks. They had really thick carpets in certain bits that tripped you up, an excuse for the bouncers to chuck you out for being too drunk. 

Bonkers (Glasgow) - enough said. 

Privilege (Glasgow) - one of my favourites. Trevor Reilly played good music and there was rarely any trouble. They also did Shag Tag on a Thursday and filmed it once for a programme on Bravo, which a few people told me I was on, although I never seen it. 

Archaos (Glasgow) - a bit like Bonkers 

The Tunnel (Glasgow) - music used to be good then it changed to RnB and became full of W's. 

The Garage (Glasgow) - 50p a vodka on a Thursday night. Full of students. 

The Arches (Glasgow) - could count on one hand the amount of times I went but never had a bad night, mostly due to the help of a little something that was in abundance in there. 

The Moon (Glasgow) - the ultimate rough nightclub but seriously can't remember a bad night it was that much of a laugh. Music would go from Public Domain to Abba in the scratch of a needle, it smelled funny, your shoes literally stuck to the carpet, you could get a ride in the toilets if you wanted to. We ended up at some scary after-parties after there, one up in those high rise flats in Parkhead where the girl who's house it was locked us in and refused to let us leave. She only relented when my mate threatened to throw her cat out the window. 

I'm sure there was more but given I had to ask my mate to remind me of the name of a couple of these ones, I doubt I can remember. 

So, over to you lot. Where was your regular haunts? 

Cotton Club, Toledo, Mannequins(Sticky, Trippy Carpet) and Carnegie's. All shite holes with Certain Bouncers with  Kickboxing skills. Didn't really go to the dancin' that much, preferred the pubs. 

Edited by ri Alban

Салатные палочки
2 hours ago, Madjambo21 said:

Rosies (closed down now) falkirk on a Thursday night was always good when I was young.

Ballroom dunfermline was the go to one.

Nothing special about it.

Had a close call with one of the bouncers wee Hibs casual whoe had a book written later in life.

Room at the top in Bathgate was quality in its day not sure if it's still around.

Fubar in Stirling was in it 2 years ago for team night out. Don't remember it being as loud in early 2000's

Too old for that game 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Destiny used to have a live link up with Room at the Top on Saturday nights. It was like the bingo national :laugh:

7 hours ago, Zico said:

Pure at the Venue is rightly regarded as one of the best house/techno clubs ever in the UK. Glad I was there for the majority of it. 

Yep, went there many times. And Tribal on a Saturday. And Taste on the Sunday too. Spent far too much of my youth in sweaty little rooms deep on the old town. Wilkie House, the Honeycomb (and whatever it was called before that, can't honestly remember), used to be some good nights at Moray House, anywhere Sativa was on.

Latterly remember some place you could get into via the Outhouse beer garden (might've been called Eden?) and the Bongo in New Street, practically lived in that place in the early 2000s!

Fxxx the SPFL
11 hours ago, **** the SPFL said:

Jackie O's in Kirkcaldy forgot about that one and there was also one in Dunfermline the name escapes me i'm sure our friend CL and an ex pars player had some involvement and the Chase in Bonnyrigg we were told that burds outnumbered the guys by six to one eh not true other way round lol.

Fxxx the SPFL
4 minutes ago, Craig_ said:

Yep, went there many times. And Tribal on a Saturday. And Taste on the Sunday too. Spent far too much of my youth in sweaty little rooms deep on the old town. Wilkie House, the Honeycomb (and whatever it was called before that, can't honestly remember), used to be some good nights at Moray House, anywhere Sativa was on.

Latterly remember some place you could get into via the Outhouse beer garden (might've been called Eden?) and the Bongo in New Street, practically lived in that place in the early 2000s!

i'd hung up my dancing shoes by the late seventies lol

the general
2 minutes ago, **** the SPFL said:

Jackie O's in Kirkcaldy forgot about that one and there was also one in Dunfermline the name escapes me i'm sure our friend CL and an ex pars player had some involvement and the Chase in Bonnyrigg we were told that burds outnumbered the guys by six to one eh not true other way round lol.

Lorenzos?

Fxxx the SPFL
Just now, the general said:

Lorenzos?

well done Kenny you were probably there when i was although you are a wee bit younger lol. was Levein involved with it.

8 hours ago, Governor Tarkin said:

We've probably gurned at each other in real life, Marv.

DJ'd at the bunker a couple of times too. The place had horrible accoustics but that didn't really seem to matter at the time.

:laugh: Yeah probably. Used to wear my blue coloured Daniel Poole top or My wee black waist coat with multiple hidden pockets on top of my white Daniel Poole top. I thought the place was alright but if I'm being honest, I preferred the Fubar in Stirling :th_cool:

Edited by Marvin

Салатные палочки
35 minutes ago, Marvin said:

:laugh: Yeah probably. Used to wear my blue coloured Daniel Poole top or My wee black waist coat with multiple hidden pockets on top of my white Daniel Poole top. I thought the place was alright but if I'm being honest, I preferred the Fubar in Stirling :th_cool:

Daniel Poole :laugh:

I remember stealing my sisters DP long sleeve t-shirt for a dress as you please day in first year. Felt the dugs baws in it. 

12 hours ago, Governor Tarkin said:

When did you play MOIST and what name did you go by. I loved that place, and the Acid Boogaloo

yvonnejambo

I used to love Buster Browns and Wilkie House. Amphitheatre was the first one I ever went to and remember being very impressed with the light show 😂

the general
1 hour ago, **** the SPFL said:

well done Kenny you were probably there when i was although you are a wee bit younger lol. was Levein involved with it.

Not sure .. we used to nip over after Luckies shut on a Sunday for a late peev in different surroundings. Us city slickers were quite a catch over there  :)

never heard that CL was involved

yvonnejambo
14 hours ago, Salad Fingers said:

Was it Ruby Tuesday the night club in the shopping centre in Irvine? I was in there a few times when younger.

Салатные палочки
5 minutes ago, yvonnejambo said:

Was it Ruby Tuesday the night club in the shopping centre in Irvine? I was in there a few times when younger.

Ruby Tuesday's is still there, albeit boarded up. I had a wee peak in once and the bar, chairs and tables are still there. Theres another one downstairs boarded up, Lyrics I think it was called. 

This one she was talking about was down the beach park. Called the Aquarium or something. I suggested it might have been in the same building as the Magnum but apparently it stood alone. Can't find any reference to it online. 

1st place I got in was the jaffa cake, still seems like yesterday :scenes:

Once I was old enough spent a couple of years floating around Wilkie House, La Belle and the liquid room - like literally floating 

For some reason id never been in the venue in that time but went just before it closed 

In between had sporadic trips to Room at the top in Bathgate, the arches and the sub club in Glasgow

Governor Tarkin
19 minutes ago, Kenbo said:

When did you play MOIST and what name did you go by. I loved that place, and the Acid Boogaloo

Crikey, now you're asking!

Must've been very early nineties, probably 92, and a can't mind what name I went by. Either lost boy or my own.

I was introduced to one of the lassies that ran the club by the resident at Cubik Andy Stentiford who went by the name of the Mariner and used to occasionally guest at moist. Her name escapes me now but she was a tall skinny blonde lassie.

My opening track was a techno number called the lords prayer. My hands were shaking so much I could hardly get the record on the deck. I was 17 or 18 at the time.

Found the link to the tune but dunno how to embed it.

https://youtu.be/wx0c13WFjgI

16 minutes ago, JimKongUno said:

1st place I got in was the jaffa cake, still seems like yesterday :scenes:

Once I was old enough spent a couple of years floating around Wilkie House, La Belle and the liquid room - like literally floating 

For some reason id never been in the venue in that time but went just before it closed 

In between had sporadic trips to Room at the top in Bathgate, the arches and the sub club in Glasgow

The Jaffa Cake. Now there's a blast from the past :lol:

A few nights ended in there.

Attic as it was the first club that accepted me and my mates fake ID. 

Then the Mission. 3 different dance floors if I recall depending on drunkenness. (Was the club called Catch?)

Evol at the Music Box was our long running Friday Night out. Loved it. Great Indie place so I didnt look a pr1ck in my long sleeved Adidas top and curtain haircut. Went there so often with my mates bouncers would let us skip the queue on occasion. I remember getting off with a lassie there and chummed her back to hers where she gave me her number......on the back of a page out her maths jotter....

:facepalm:

Music Box was a sweaty dive of a place that was great. Then became the Liquid Rooms and wasn't as appealing. Started playing too much mainstream and attracted a lot of tossers. Often we'd hit the happy hour at Teviot House to warm up on cheap pints of 70/- to keep the cost of a night out down.

With Liquid Rooms being pish gravitated to Citrus. Only downside was the dash across town to get the last Penicuik night bus.

Was in Big at the Jaffa Cake when it got raided for drugs. Had paid to get in only 10mins before. Raging. 

yvonnejambo
53 minutes ago, Salad Fingers said:

Ruby Tuesday's is still there, albeit boarded up. I had a wee peak in once and the bar, chairs and tables are still there. Theres another one downstairs boarded up, Lyrics I think it was called. 

This one she was talking about was down the beach park. Called the Aquarium or something. I suggested it might have been in the same building as the Magnum but apparently it stood alone. Can't find any reference to it online. 

I can’t think of anything down there but I will ask my mate who still lives in Irvine. Is Ruby Tuesdays the pub next to the shopping centre or the club inside that you go downstairs to get in? I’m thinking Amanda’s but can’t really remember. 
My other favourite in Irvine was the Ship Inn for good food 

Салатные палочки
8 minutes ago, yvonnejambo said:

I can’t think of anything down there but I will ask my mate who still lives in Irvine. Is Ruby Tuesdays the pub next to the shopping centre or the club inside that you go downstairs to get in? I’m thinking Amanda’s but can’t really remember. 
My other favourite in Irvine was the Ship Inn for good food 

Ruby Tuesdays was the one on the right hand side of the shopping centre if your coming from the town end. The entrance to Amanda's is still there in the shopping centre, I think they did food on the first floor and the club/bar was downstairs. I might try and get pics when I'm down later. 

I'm not from here originally but according to the GF there was loads of clubs now there's only really one actual club, Pitchers, which by all accounts is rough. 

The Ship Inn is closed now. Not sure how long for though. Pubs open and close all the time down here. 

Toxteth O'Grady

Pipers in Lothian Road

Bobby McGhees - Rose Street

students unions in Grindlay Street and Chambers Street. 

yvonnejambo

I just spoke to my mate and she said there was definitely a club down near the beach but she can’t remember what it was called and said she never went cause she was to old 😆

Yes Amanda’s was where they had a female DJ who was very tall with short blonde hair, she looked quite scary but she was a great DJ. Shame about the ship it was really good. 

the general
3 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Good shout. 

And bizarrely Misery :)

was never a big clubber only really after gigs . Hoochie Coochie was another I suppose

davemclaren
3 hours ago, **** the SPFL said:

The Chase? A club??  😳