Old Hearts Books

Sharpie

Just raking around and found two old Hearts books. The Story ofTHE HEARTS 1874-1924 by W Reid, and the otherThe Hearts by Albert Mackie are they rareat all, not in perfect condition but one is older than me and I am not in very good condition so its doing no bad.

been here before

That Albert Mackie book goes for about 30 quid.

I keep hoping I find it for a coule of quid somewhere  😁

14 minutes ago, been here before said:

Indeed.

If you’re lucky enough to have a copy with it's dust cover still on (unfortunately mine doesn’t), I think it’s worth quite a wee bit more.

18 minutes ago, been here before said:

20200606_194528.jpg.9b4ddcce8cbebccf39f7fc6baa3aa814.jpg

20200606_194501.jpg.0df06e872d1d4e49b1fb6abaf370e600.jpg

20200606_194437.jpg.fa0a0d16c65472526cf13581a158c120.jpg

You’ve got a few there that I’ve never seen before. :thumbsup:

I’ve got maybe six or seven more, but they are too tall for our wee bookcase.

The Pictorial History book is the one where I store old match tickets and wee souvenirs in.

52 minutes ago, redjambo said:

What's that green doing in there?! ;)

It is a strange choice of colour for a Hearts book, isn’t it? 🤷🏿‍♂️

27 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Probably their imprint or the logo for that series or something. You would have thought that they would have made an exception given the topic of that particular book, but there you go.

It's quite nice though, a small area of green in a surrounding sea of maroon. Indeed, your bookshelf is an apt metaphor for our continuing and overwhelming dominance over the green side of Edinburgh. :)

Ricardo Shillyshally

I'm sure my Dad has two versions of the Albert Mackie book. One with a black cover and another with a maroon one.

Ricardo Shillyshally

I remember queuing up at John menzies in Princes Street to have my pictorial history booked signed. 4 players I think. One was Neil Berry

51 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Seem to recall there was grumbling about it at the time. Stand to be corrected but I have a vague memory of the green being removed in later editions?

A little of topic but I browsed through a copy of "Hibs Greats" in a library a few years back. The foreword by Bernard Gallacher is a wee bit suspect. He reckons his first ever game was the New Year's day derby of 1960 at ER. 0-6 Hearts, according to his recollections. 

Not true, of course. It was 1-5 Hearts. You'd think that Stewart Brown, the author, or the publisher would have noticed the error. 

Dozy feckers. 

Edited by martoon

33 minutes ago, martoon said:

A little of topic but I browsed through a copy of "Hibs Greats" in a library a few years back. The foreword by Bernard Gallacher is a wee bit suspect. He reckons his first ever game was the New Year's day derby of 1960 at ER. 0-6 Hearts, according to his recollections. 

Not true, of course. It was 1-5 Hearts. You'd think that Stewart Brown, the author, or the publisher would have noticed the error. 

Dozy feckers. 

I met Stewart Brown in Munich, Mart.

Anyway, that John Gibson (Gibby the Hibby) was the most green-biased writer the Evening News ever had.

Don't really know why I told you all that, but there you go.  It’s a Saturday night, I suppose. 🤷🏿‍♂️

David Black

I have The Hearts by Albert Mackie and it is autographed by all the players, management and even groundsman at that time. My mothers friends husband worked on the sports desk of the Evening News and he took it along to Tynecastle to have it autographed. I was 11 at the time. The book is still in perfect nick. 

Edited by David Black

Midloth_Iain

2 hours ago, been here before said:

1 hour ago, Morgan said:

Indeed.

If you’re lucky enough to have a copy with it's dust cover still on (unfortunately mine doesn’t), I think it’s worth quite a wee bit more.

I have 2 x copies, both with dust covers, although the covers are not the best condition. One of the books has a Willie Bauld signature which may or may not be genuine ?

Happy to sell the (non signed) copy, proceeds to FoH .....

20200606_215422.jpg

1 minute ago, Ruud Krol said:

I have 2 x copies, both with dust covers, although the covers are not the best condition. One of the books has a Willie Bauld signature which may or may not be genuine ?

20200606_215422.jpg

What price are you looking for, Ruud?

Midloth_Iain
Just now, Morgan said:

Open to offers Morgan, not sure what its worth 😉

4 minutes ago, Ruud Krol said:

I’ll answer fully tomorrow, Ruud.

I just don’t want you to think me rude this evening by ignoring your post, hence my short answer just now..

Midloth_Iain
Just now, Morgan said:

I’ll answer fully tomorrow, Ruud.

I just don’t want you to think me rude this evening by ignoring your post, hence my short answer just now..

👍🙂

35 minutes ago, Morgan said:

I met Stewart Brown in Munich, Mart.

Anyway, that John Gibson (Gibby the Hibby) was the most green-biased writer the Evening News ever had.

Don't really know why I told you all that, but there you go.  It’s a Saturday night, I suppose. 🤷🏿‍♂️

I didn't really mind, SB. He was Hibs but always fair to Hearts. I still have his EEN report of the home leg v. Bayern and he's wholesome in his praise. He also called Colquhoun, Crabbe and Robbo the "New Terrible Trio". For an all too brief moment in time they were. All 3 were superb in 1989/90.

The only season, incidentally, that I attended every game Hearts played. Always seemed to miss the odd game in other seasons back then. One of the most enjoyable non trophy winning seasons we had, imo. 

I'm rambling, Morg, but as you said, it's Saturday. 😉👍

1 minute ago, martoon said:

I didn't really mind, SB. He was Hibs but always fair to Hearts. I still have his EEN report of the home leg v. Bayern and he's wholesome in his praise. He also called Colquhoun, Crabbe and Robbo the "New Terrible Trio". For an all too brief moment in time they were. All 3 were superb in 1989/90.

The only season, incidentally, that I attended every game Hearts played. Always seemed to miss the odd game in other seasons back then. One of the most enjoyable non trophy winning seasons we had, imo. 

I'm rambling, Morg, but as you said, it's Saturday. 😉👍

It’s what Saturday nights are for, my friend.

Take care. 👍

Just now, Morgan said:

It’s what Saturday nights are for, my friend.

Take care. 👍

You too, bud. 

32 minutes ago, Morgan said:

I think the Airdrie goalie in that picture was David Walker who was another one in my  class at Boroughmuir, I think he later played for St Mirren. Not bad for a class team Willie Duff and Davie Walker two that became 1st Division goalies. And then me who was a first class goalie for two years at Preston Street School.

scott herbertson

Re the Op £100 for the Reid book would be about average IMO (I'm a bookseller online) . I sold mine for around that ages ago with funds going to Save Our Hearts in the first stage of the desperate days

Much depends on condition and happy to assess if you pm me or use the contact details at my prototype website  https://www.hadwebutknown.com/contact/

12 hours ago, Ricardo Shillyshally said:

I remember queuing up at John menzies in Princes Street to have my pictorial history booked signed. 4 players I think. One was Neil Berry

John Robertson,, Walter Kidd & Gary Mackay were other signatures on mine. 

Andrew Gilbert Wauchope
16 hours ago, been here before said:

I got mine in the 1980s, in a Carlisle bookshop, for £2.75.  🙂

Slightly off topic but I have been having a lockdown clear out and have come across a handful (18 I think) of old Hearts programmes from the 1970s and the 86 cup final. If there are any collectors out there I am happy to pass them on free of charge. Just drop me a PM and I can sort it out. 

48 minutes ago, FORTHCLYDE said:

The Albert Mackie book with dustcover is on Amazon at £34.75.  

Thanks, that’s good to know.  :thumbsup: 

Edited by Morgan

Niemi’s gloves

Of all these books, my two favourites are “Gritty , Gallant and Glorious” for its useful season-by-season listing of games, team lines etc from 1946 to 1996; and “Hearts in Art” for its wee line drawings and descriptions of every player that played for Hearts over roughly the same period. (OK I’m a bit nerdy).

I have often thought that an update of “Hearts in Art” for the last 24 years or so would be really useful, although the number of players that have passed through Tynecastle has been so great that it might be necessary to set a minimum of five or ten games played to qualify. 

19 hours ago, Ruud Krol said:

Evening,

since another poster has said that the book, including dust cover, is available on Amazon for just over £30, I have decided to do it this way rather than purchase from yourself and get involved in postage etc.

Thanks anyway, Ruud.  :thumbsup:

Midloth_Iain
6 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Evening,

since another poster has said that the book, including dust cover, is available on Amazon for just over £30, I have decided to do it this way rather than purchase from yourself and get involved in postage etc.

Thanks anyway, Ruud.  :thumbsup:

no worries, I wasnt sure what the postage cost to the Cote d'Azur would have been anyway ! 😆

pettigrewsstylist
23 hours ago, Morgan said:

Indeed.

pleasing

1 minute ago, pettigrewsstylist said:

pleasing

Pleasing that you have it?

Or, pleasing that I don’t?

:lol: 

been here before
21 hours ago, Ruud Krol said:

20200606_215422.jpg

It certainly looks genuine.

Independence
5 hours ago, FORTHCLYDE said:

The Albert Mackie book with dustcover is on Amazon at £34.75.  

Now £73.67 on Amazon with one left!!

Midloth_Iain
51 minutes ago, Independence said:

Now £73.67 on Amazon with one left!!

I am happy to sell my spare copy for £30 & postage (proceeds to FoH) if anyone interested - including dust cover.

pettigrewsstylist
6 hours ago, Morgan said:

Pleasing that you have it?

Or, pleasing that I don’t?

:lol: 

😂😂 i have cover

wentworth jambo

Used to have both the Boys in Maroon and Glorious Hearts books (the "86" books)  - have no idea whatever happened to them. Took me a while to actually read them after that season and was probably a year or so afterwards realised I was in one of the pictures from Dens that day....

joondalupjambo
On 06/06/2020 at 22:21, Ruud Krol said:

20200606_215422.jpg

My copy is also signed by Willie Bauld and Johnny Hamilton.  Just compared the two and the name and Hearts FC look more or less identical to me.  Apparently there was a book signing in a shop in George Street and my old Aunt just happened to be up on a trip from the Borders that day and so she got my copy for her husband.  It ended up getting past onto me.