Stop Offs on the A/M1

Uberjambo

Anyone know some decent places to stop off whilst driving South. Heading to London tomorrow and have not really driven the A1/M1 for a long time. Will have the full family with me so need to stop regular. Any advise would be appreciated.

What are you talking about? Service stations or detours to tourist attractions?

Used to travel that way quite a lot. My first stop was normally Stannington Services, a couple of miles south of Morpeth. There is a garage and a cafe/restaurant there.

Oh and if I were going to London, I would take the M74, M6, M1. It is much faster.

What are you talking about? Service stations or detours to tourist attractions?

Services.

Oh and if I were going to London, I would take the M74, M6, M1. It is much faster.

On a busy Friday? Haven't driven to London in a very long time. Genuinely don't know. I suppose the toll section will make a difference?

On a busy Friday? Haven't driven to London in a very long time. Genuinely don't know. I suppose the toll section will make a difference?

All roads will be heaving on a friday, so you take your chance with accidents etc.

But honestly take my word I used to travel from London to Edinburgh frequently and the M6/M74 is quicker. The toll road takes a big chunk off your time as well as long as you dont mind the ?3 or ?4 whatever it is now.

You could also consider taking the M40 to avoid the road works on the M1 at Luton. That will take you into West London.

No idea about services, but I agree with Deek re the route.

I'm actually driving to Hull tomorrow lunch time as I'm going to Beverley races on Saturday. That's a definite A1 job, but if I was going daan saaaf I'd defo choose the M74/M6 combo.

jambopompey

same here, when i used to drive down south, m74 then m6, there is plenty of service stations on the way, i usually stop off around tenby for a coffee, i would recommend the toll road as it cuts a good hour or so of your journey

Thanks guys. I am heading for Essex. West London no good. Is there roadworks on the M1? Damn.

How long do you think the journey will take? Leaving Whitburn around 9.30.

A74 and M6 are without doubt the best routes. I would strongly advise taking the M6 toll as well. Excellent road and you save the Toll Charge in fuel. The route from there really depends on where your going. If you're going to South, West or Central London I would recommend you take the M42 then M40. Definately the best route if your heading Twickenham way.

The M1 is murder at the moment, there are road works between J10 and 6 which will hold you up and J 15a is a nightmare this weekend as Silverstone is on. Took me 20 minutes to get past it tonight.

Traffic will be busy but most of it will be heading north and away from London so once your past Birmingham you shoud be OK. Traffic from Manchester to south of Birmingham will be busy from early afternoon onwards so you best trying to get an early start.

Should take you about 6.5 hours driving to get to the M25 from Edinburgh.

A74 and M6 are without doubt the best routes. I would strongly advise taking the M6 toll as well. Excellent road and you save the Toll Charge in fuel. The route from there really depends on where your going. If you're going to South, West or Central London I would recommend you take the M42 then M40. Definately the best route if your heading Twickenham way.

The M1 is murder at the moment, there are road works between J10 and 6 which will hold you up and J 15a is a nightmare this weekend as Silverstone is on. Took me 20 minutes to get past it tonight.

Traffic will be busy but most of it will be heading north and away from London so once your past Birmingham you shoud be OK. Traffic from Manchester to south of Birmingham will be busy from early afternoon onwards so you best trying to get an early start.

Should take you about 6.5 hours driving to get to the M25 from Edinburgh.

Thanks Bud. Staying with a mate in Brentwood for the weekend. Will worry about the journey to Twickenham when I sober up on Saturday.

Thanks guys. I am heading for Essex. West London no good. Is there roadworks on the M1? Damn.

How long do you think the journey will take? Leaving Whitburn around 9.30.

Ignore all my other advice then. If your heading to Essex, I'd still come A74, M6. You could either then take the A14 from M1/M6 to Cambridge then M11, or use the M1 south.

The junction for the A14 can get sticky but once your past it the road to Huntingdon is good. It can also be slow between Huntingdon and Cambridge but its slow south in the morning and north in the evening so you should be fine. This route would miss out the M1 problems and also reduce your time on the M25 which on a Friday would be sensible.

Jumping in a bit here - I'm heading to Nottingham area - best sticking to A1 route or using M74/M6 and cutting over?

Jumping in a bit here - I'm heading to Nottingham area - best sticking to A1 route or using M74/M6 and cutting over?

That was my original idea hence the op. Prefer motorway mind you. Will see if I can set off a bit earlier.:)

If going the M6 route, a bus driver we had on a school trip taking us from Hull to Aberdeen (guess he just didn't fancy the A1) took us via Southwaite Services.

Seemed decent enough - we've used it on family trips subsequently without any horror stories.

I'd go M74,M6,M61,M62,M1 although depending on where in Nottinghamshire your going the A1 (rather than the M1) for the last stretch could be better. For anywhere other than the North East of England I'd always recommend the west coast route.

Used to travel from Scotland to Nottingham regularly and thats the quickest route. Try to avoid M62,M1 in the rush hour

Archived