Phone stuff for Luddite JKBer

I P Knightley

I P Knightley

Right, people. I need to have advice in words not "symbian", "S60 format", "widget sidebar" jibber-jabber. So please type slowly.

I'm ditching my Orange contract. I've got my PAC in the post. I'm transferring my number over to a work contract so no more bills for me.

The phone I get from work is more basic than I thought was possible in these hi-tech days and I'm used to one with a camera and the ability to load my choice of tunes to use as ring tones.

It probably does a lot more, like picture messages and stuff, but that's not necessary.

So - I want to buy myself a handset into which I'll slip my work SIM and carry on my life. I reckon I could get something pretty nifty for ?100 to ?150. Am I in the right ball park & if so, what phone?

You're making your number a work one?

What happens if in 6 months you leave your job.. your number that you love will be on their website or business cards and you'll have people calling you looking for stuff when you don't work there anymore!

Why?

Should just get a pay as you go and keep your number.. You might pay a ?5 a month... to keep it .. but.... Long run if you want to keep the number.

Also - One company I worked for asked that I leave my work phone with them when I took a holiday as I was in a sales role. In case an important customer called.

Good luck

You could get some pretty decent phones for ?150.

Not exactly top of the range, but they should do the job. Decent camera, video and sound recording, MP3 player, Bluetooth, etc.

Have a peek on the Carphone Warehouse website.

I P Knightley
You're making your number a work one?

What happens if in 6 months you leave your job.. your number that you love will be on their website or business cards and you'll have people calling you looking for stuff when you don't work there anymore!

Why?

Should just get a pay as you go and keep your number.. You might pay a ?5 a month... to keep it .. but.... Long run if you want to keep the number.

Also - One company I worked for asked that I leave my work phone with them when I took a holiday as I was in a sales role. In case an important customer called.

Good luck

Right now I've got 3 handset thingies: Work Blackberry, Work phone & personal phone. When I travel, at least two come with me and if someone calls on my moby, I take it and the cost of receiving calls!

I could make the effort to learn the numbers of the other two machines but then would have to carry them all with me.

Will end up with the Blackberry (if I can find it) and the moby.

The moby number doesn't appear on cards or email signatures or the website and I've only given the number to one work contact so I keep that pretty separate.

Re leaving, I tend to stick in jobs for a long time so won't plan around this.

What's this?? An interrogation??

I'd already made my mind up and now you're making me think of other stuff!!! I hate phones :(

Carl Spackler

Ivanawfyticklikov I did exactly what you are doing a few months back, dumped my Orange contract phone and went onto a works number.

I just kept my Nokia N80 handset (which is the predecessor to the N95). It does all the MP3 and photo jazz and has an FM radio but the internet and email went out the window because my work doesn't pay for data in their contract. It's superb at synchronising to Outlook via either cable or a decent USB dongle (ebay about ?10)

I'm sure you could pick one up on ebay for cheap. Just stick a decent sized MicroSD card in it (also off ebay).

It does for me. I'm sure there's better now. The downside to the phone is you need to charge it quite often and it very occasionally crashes. Signal strength is fine.

The thing about phones these days is it depends what you want it for (obviously over and above it's primary use).

If you want it to play music, get the newest Sony Ericsson.

If you want something a little cooler then there are nice new LG and Samsung handsets.

If you are a girl get a Nokia.

And strangely, if you want a phone that does lots of computery stuff, I gather the Nokia 95 is quite good.

As for cost, I have no idea.

I P Knightley
The thing about phones these days is it depends what you want it for (obviously over and above it's primary use).

If you want it to play musicI go virtually nowhere without the iPod so not necesary, get the newest Sony Ericsson.

If you want something a little cooler what makes you think that I worry 'bout that....mind you, do they get you chicks?then there are nice new LG and Samsung handsets.

If you are a girl get a Nokia. Hell, yeah!

And strangely, if you want a phone that does lots of computery stuff, I gather the Nokia 95 is quite good.I have a computer, I want a phone ;)

As for cost, I have no idea.

I've got about 6 songs on my current phone. Only used for ring tones and alarm calls.

Thanks for the guidance so far.

I guess it's a reliable phone with a half-decent camera that I'm after. Sensible battery life would be good - I'm sometimes away for a couple of nights and if something could last that long, it would mean one less thing to (forget to) pack.

I'll keep my dongle in my shorts!

Guest S.U.S.S.
Right now I've got 3 handset thingies: Work Blackberry, Work phone & personal phone. When I travel, at least two come with me and if someone calls on my moby, I take it and the cost of receiving calls!

I could make the effort to learn the numbers of the other two machines but then would have to carry them all with me.

The moby number doesn't appear on cards or email signatures or the website and I've only given the number to one work contact so I keep that pretty separate.

I'd already made my mind up and now you're making me think of other stuff!!! I hate phones :(

Speak to someone at the carphone warehouse, im sure some phones/sims are capable of having two numbers.

I may have just dreamt this tho.:)

Craig Gordons Gloves
Speak to someone at the carphone warehouse, im sure some phones/sims are capable of having two numbers.

I may have just dreamt this tho.:)

speaking professionally - that would be my advice as well....;)

http://shop.carphonewarehouse.com/search?item_type=handset+only&NODE_ID=11746

the 6300 is reasonable with everything you need but not all the bells and whistles of the N95 etc, if you want to splash out a bit the K850i is a good phone.

The Old Tolbooth
Right, people. I need to have advice in words not "symbian", "S60 format", "widget sidebar" jibber-jabber. So please type slowly.

I'm ditching my Orange contract. I've got my PAC in the post. I'm transferring my number over to a work contract so no more bills for me.

The phone I get from work is more basic than I thought was possible in these hi-tech days and I'm used to one with a camera and the ability to load my choice of tunes to use as ring tones.

It probably does a lot more, like picture messages and stuff, but that's not necessary.

So - I want to buy myself a handset into which I'll slip my work SIM and carry on my life. I reckon I could get something pretty nifty for ?100 to ?150. Am I in the right ball park & if so, what phone?

If you can wait 6 weeks until I can get myself another phone when I'm able to renew my contract you can have a brand new Sony Ericsson W880i for ?75.

The reason it will be brand new is because I'm having problems with my current one and the software is apparently corrupt, and I'm sick of it switching itself off, meaning I may lose business because of it.

I told Vodafone that I'm fed up of sending the phone back to them and hate using their pish replacement handset, and I would rather buy myself out of my contract so I can just move a bit quicker, however they offered me a brand new phone until I can change in 6 weeks time, and it's mine to keep!

I'm not sure how much I should advertise it for but I thought around about the ?100 mark would be close(ish).

Guest S.U.S.S.
If you can wait 6 weeks until I can get myself another phone when I'm able to renew my contract you can have a brand new Sony Ericsson W880i for ?75.

The reason it will be brand new is because I'm having problems with my current one and the software is apparently corrupt, and I'm sick of it switching itself off, meaning I may lose business because of it.

I told Vodafone that I'm fed up of sending the phone back to them and hate using their pish replacement handset, and I would rather buy myself out of my contract so I can just move a bit quicker, however they offered me a brand new phone until I can change in 6 weeks time, and it's mine to keep!

I'm not sure how much I should advertise it for but I thought around about the ?100 mark would be close(ish).

If he doesnt take it, please pm me.

I like the look of that phone.

cheers :)

The Old Tolbooth
If he doesnt take it, please pm me.

I like the look of that phone.

cheers :)

I will do mate, not a problem :)

PsychocAndy

Ive got a Nokia e65 it has all the things you ask for with wifi too but my favourite bit of the phone is that it will read your messages to you in a Steven Hawkings voice.

If you are a girl get a Nokia.

Hey, shut yer mooth ;)

I have a Nokia N95 and it's class, and manly, grrrrrrr!!

marshallschunkychicken

Can you not get your blackberry altered so that it picks up your calls as well as emails, hence dispensing with the work phone?

Guest S.U.S.S.
I will do mate, not a problem :)

Good man John,

Thats a beer i owe you (and potentially ?75);)

I P Knightley
Can you not get your blackberry altered so that it picks up your calls as well as emails, hence dispensing with the work phone?

I thought about that but don't want to be tempted into picking up work emails at the weekends and on days off. I've been there with the round-the-clock working but I made a move away from it and have to stick to my guns or go mad.

Kind offer, John. I'd consider it but you have an eager buyer in SUSS so I'll pass while I carry on planning.

Cheers

The Old Tolbooth
Good man John,

Thats a beer i owe you (and potentially ?75);)

I'll hold you to that beer mate ;)

Looks like it's yours as Mr Tickly Cough kindly refused the first offer to let you have it.

Guest S.U.S.S.
I'll hold you to that beer mate ;)

Looks like it's yours as Mr Tickly Cough kindly refused the first offer to let you have it.

Cool, regardless of that ill buy the beer for considering me!;)

I P Knightley
Cool, regardless of that ill buy the beer for considering me!;)

Is there any beer for the man who generously stepped aside?

I'm gasping!

Guest S.U.S.S.
Is there any beer for the man who generously stepped aside?

I'm gasping!

How could i refuse a jambo in need.:)

Archived