Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

11 hours ago, Victorian said:

The coffin counter brigade of space cadets will go to literally any lengths to justify the utter shite they speak in order to remain in the comfortable land of denial.

Lockdown measures are a dynamic reaction to rising rates of INFECTION.   Not a reaction to rising numbers of deaths.   Why?   Because deaths occur a number of weeks after infections.   Because waiting to tally up the coffins is too late to achieve the purpose of the measures.

It's no wonder it's so difficult to convince the public of things.   A worrying number of people only believe the things they want to be the case.   

Bookmark until 2 months time and come back with the coffin count.

Not really.  Folks were in ITU pretty sharpish, then brown bread shortly after. Yet even with rising DETECTION ( not necessarily infection rates- we are now testing folk with zero symptoms) this is not happening.

Nucky Thompson

The US had their lowest weekday figures for months.

25,325 positive cases and 286 new deaths

Hopefully that's them over the worst of it

10 hours ago, jonesy said:

I guess we'll never really know people's reason(s) for 'non-compliance'.

I find masks to be extremely uncomfortable; to the point where I have had to put down my shopping and leave to get fresh air. After that, I gave up wearing one. If that makes me, in another poster's words, scum or self-entitled and arrogant in some folks' eyes, then so be it. I hope everyone does what's best for them in the circumstances.

Ill fitting mask or abnormal shaped heid?

Francis Albert
4 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Bollox. No it isn't. And I'm starting to hope for bad things to happen to some. 

Given some of the things you have posted it is alarming that you are just getting going.,

9 hours ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Selfish? Ask any elderly person you know whether they prefer to get out and live, get access to GP appts and hospital treatment, or have a state imposed safety blanket wrapped round them by politicians who are full of their own self importance and totally out of touch with real life. We have heard this drivel for weeks now about what may hapoen next week, or the week after. The evidence, a novelty nowadays I admit, is pointing to the virus being weaker than it was earlier in the year. The ignorant obsession with Covid is now causing far more health and economic damage than the virus will ever be capable of.

I have an elderly mother who gets out for exercise, has visited her GP for a couple of minor things, but she was quoted two months for a minor hospital treatment.

Perhaps your elderly relatives are different from mine, but she doesn't go out to any illegal raves and ignore social distancing like younger people seem to be.

Your idea of throwing the elderly under a bus to get everything back to normal is selfish and ignorant.  The governments already did that with those in care homes.

Francis Albert
8 hours ago, graygo said:

Let's not pretend that Sweden have carried on with their normal daily routines, they just don't seem to need to be told what to do.

Having said that, I wish we could have done the same.

I am not sure anyone has suggested Sweden has carried on as normal. It may be Swedes are in general more prone to do what they are told (though this is certainly not true in some areas of some cities)  but on the other hand what they have been told to do has been much less restrictive than elsewhere ... schools, bars, restaurants, cinemas, shops, offices, transport have remained open, less severe restrictions on gatherings,  and  the economy as   a result relatively unscathed and damage to it mainly caused by restrictions and economic downturn elsewhere.  Infections (positive tests) have recently been rising quicker in Norway and Denmark. 

Far too early for a final judgment but a useful "control" which has so far not been the disaster some predicted and even at times seemed to hope for.

jack D and coke
13 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

I am not sure anyone has suggested Sweden has carried on as normal. It may be Swedes are in general more prone to do what they are told (though this is certainly not true in some areas of some cities)  but on the other hand what they have been told to do has been much less restrictive than elsewhere ... schools, bars, restaurants, cinemas, shops, offices, transport have remained open, less severe restrictions on gatherings,  and  the economy as   a result relatively unscathed and damage to it mainly caused by restrictions and economic downturn elsewhere.  Infections (positive tests) have recently been rising quicker in Norway and Denmark. 

Far too early for a final judgment but a useful "control" which has so far not been the disaster some predicted and even at times seemed to hope for.

I’ve met quite a few swedes on holidays etc and they’re the wildest lads I’ve ever met. I’m not sure they’re somehow more obedient than us to be honest. 

7 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

At least we've got an easy out of blaming young people if it all goes tits up. 

Aussieh can wish death on them so all good👍🏼

29 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

So you agree that we shouldn't pretend that they have carried on as normal then, good.

Montgomery Brewster
1 hour ago, Brian Dundas said:

No deaths is great news and hopefully it continues and we can move out of this thing, however I am concerned that we have no idea what was happening pre March 2020 in that graph as there was virtually zero testing. We can't be certain this is any safer now than it was earlier in the year, but every day with out deaths and hospital admissions going up is a step closer..........

Currently the uk is getting 3000 cases a day approx. 

at the start of the pandemic the scientific advisers to the government estimated a top line figure of 100,000 cases a day. However as there were little of very poor number of tests nobody knows. If this is even remotely correct ie 30 times the figure now - it explains why there are a lot less hospital admissions. 

I doubt it will ever get back to those levels due to social distancing but even if it hit 10k a day - there could easily be a trebling of the figure in hospital. However given that it’s much younger folk being infected now it may well be less.

Francis Albert
8 minutes ago, graygo said:

So you agree that we shouldn't pretend that they have carried on as normal then, good.

And as I said I don't think anyone has.

Francis Albert
26 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

I’ve met quite a few swedes on holidays etc and they’re the wildest lads I’ve ever met. I’m not sure they’re somehow more obedient than us to be honest. 

The ferries from Sweden across the Baltic are notorious for making our "raves" look tame.

I'm on holiday just now and there are some restrictions here and masks in shops but it's generally much more relaxed and things like wellness sauna's and pools are open pretty much as normal and people seem pretty chilled out about it all.

It's great, I'm really disappointed to be going home in a few days. We're here with a group from Scotland who were very on edge to begin with and even they've chilled out after a few days. Quite sad the impact that the media and government have had on people.

jack D and coke
3 minutes ago, Back to 2005 said:

Good to see the French Open is to allow 11500 spectators per day at Rollan Garros. 

I dunno I think we should all be wishing bad things on ANYONE who goes to any event that involves them leaving their house. 

jack D and coke
18 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

The ferries from Sweden across the Baltic are notorious for making our "raves" look tame.

I’m not surprised. They’re absolutely nuts man :lol: 

jack D and coke
1 minute ago, Taffin said:

I'm on holiday just now and there are some restrictions here and masks in shops but it's generally much more relaxed and things like wellness sauna's and pools are open pretty much as normal and people seem pretty chilled out about it all.

It's great, I'm really disappointed to be going home in a few days. We're here with a group from Scotland who were very on edge to begin with and even they've chilled out after a few days. Quite sad the impact that the media and government have had on people.

It’s tragic mate. It’ll take years to roll it back. If ever. 

4 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Where are you? Off to Turkey on Saturday.

Brighton Jambo

A lot of media saying people are becoming relaxed or complacent and that is leading to the rise in cases.  That may be true but I think there is also a lot of fatigue involved.  People have simply had enough, I know I have.

I think this fatigue is exacerbated by the doom mongers (including those on here) who point out this isn’t going way anytime soon, winter will be worse, this could last well into next year etc.  People hear that and think well what’s the point then, might as well just enjoy myself as it’s not going away and they don’t want to live this way indefinitely.  

Edited by Brighton Jambo

The Old Tolbooth

This is a truly depressing thread, first time I've had as peek at it for over a month I think, and it's still as depressing as ever. 

Brighton Jambo
6 minutes ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

This is a truly depressing thread, first time I've had as peek at it for over a month I think, and it's still as depressing as ever. 

Well said, I go on another football forum as frequently as here and they have a ‘Coronavirus Good News’ thread.  It really uplifting and in complete contrast to here.  

Montgomery Brewster
12 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

Well said, I go on another football forum as frequently as here and they have a ‘Coronavirus Good News’ thread.  It really uplifting and in complete contrast to here.  

Why not start a good news thread then and leave all the rest to fester in their own juices ?

jack D and coke
19 minutes ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

There’s some right doom merchants on here. It’s all across the terrace too with negativity ingrained into them. 
I mean look at aussieh he’s actually wishing bad things on people now ffs. He doesn’t care about anyone’s businesses going down the swanny or **** all. 
Absolutely frightening what this has done to people’s heads. 

22 minutes ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

Avoid it like i avoid the  news now, doom and gloom.

11 hours ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Spain and France both hitting 10k cases a day. 

I'm surprised schools are opening at all

How did the UK do yesterday ? 

Can you see the UK hitting those infection rates soon.And sorry I was snappy to you in a reply the other day 

31 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

I'm in Slovakia, having come via Poland. Both were much the same in approach to it all.

Enjoy your time in Turkey 👍

9 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

There’s some right doom merchants on here. It’s all across the terrace too with negativity ingrained into them. 
I mean look at aussieh he’s actually wishing bad things on people now ffs. He doesn’t care about anyone’s businesses going down the swanny or **** all. 

Everything is connected with this it's brutal what is happening to people's businesses or workers losing jobs.It was coming everybody must have known it but it still hard as **** when it hits at the door.I have always tried to look at it from both sides but it must be getting worse for honest workers in vulnerable industries.So although it seems like bravado on here sometimes it's probably genuine concern for livelihoods

Edited by vegas-voss

5 minutes ago, Taffin said:

I'm in Slovakia, having come via Poland. Both were much the same in approach to it all.

Enjoy your time in Turkey 👍

Wives uncle just got back from Krakow.He hated it - lovely place , lovely people , beautiful pubs but he felt you couldn't do anything as it was far stricter than here and pubs were very quiet.That was about 3 weeks ago so maybe less strict now

7 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

That narrative is certainly been created.

Hancocks ‘kill your granny’ a couple of days ago, were the govt feeding it.

'get back to school and the office you lazy *******s, and while you're at it here's 50% off all restaurants so get eating and spending, and shop as much as you can because economy, oh and btw it's your fault if folk start dying again ok lol' 

Hancock is the worst of the worst. Not convinced he's actually human. 

1 minute ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

'get back to school and the office you lazy *******s, and while you're at it here's 50% off all restaurants so get eating and spending, and shop as much as you can because economy, oh and btw it's your fault if folk start dying again ok lol' 

Hancock is the worst of the worst. Not convinced he's actually human. 

They don't know what to do it seems it just goes from one panic moment to the next 

1 minute ago, Lord BJ said:

Couldn’t agree more. I can’t figure out the rationale of blame the youngsters. 

Maybe a divide and conquer strategy, 🤷🏻‍♂️

Exactly it's like they have been used as collateral for any event 

Just been on the morning works call and one of the guys who's a youth football coach has stated further restrictions are going to be forced onto teams. I think one of them is that all training sessions must not have any form of spectators other than registered coaches.

So for example I cannot sit in a completely  empty stand and stadium at Ferguson Park (Whitehill Welfare) and watch my son train yet I can go in a pub.

I'll await confirmation but if that's true then we are being taken for fools. There is no logic to that whatsoever. I really hope he's picked it up wrong.

It seems that the 20-40 age bracket is being demonised for wanting to go about their life.  At least that was the impression from various people on TV this morning 

jack D and coke
16 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

Everything is connected with this it's brutal what is happening to people's businesses or workers losing jobs.It was coming everybody must have known it but it still hard as **** when it hits at the door.I have always tried to look at it from both sides but it must be getting worse for honest workers in vulnerable industries.So although it seems like bravado on here sometimes it's probably genuine concern for livelihoods

I’m as concerned as anyone for everyone and their businesses or jobs mate but, this isn’t going away. When are people going to get that into their heads? We can hide away for months but the minute we come out again it’ll start to rise. Some people will have the place in utter ruins if they get their way there will be far bigger problems coming down the tracks. We must get on with it now. 

Brighton Jambo
14 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Couldn’t agree more. I can’t figure out the rationale of blame the youngsters. 

Maybe a divide and conquer strategy, 🤷🏻‍♂️

Normally agree with most of what you post but not here.  Clearly the behaviour of young people, as has been a big factor in the increase in cases.  That’s what they are also saying in France, Spain etc.  It not a case of blame but a factual statement based on data.  

I agree his language was a bit crass but if that what it takes to get through then so be it.  I can only talk about where I live but undoubtedly it is the young people who have been most obvious in ignoring the rules since the start.  Big groups of them just wandering around with zero social distancing.  From what I can tell it’s young people in pubs that are most likely to break the rules too.  

If it takes a shocking statement to make them wake up then I have no problem with that.  

The Old Tolbooth
37 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Seriously, I only read 2 pages of this pish and I was almost on the phone to my quack asking for anti depressants! Some peoples views are staggering to say the least, I'll refrain from naming names although being banned from this thread might be a good thing :lol: 

1 hour ago, hughesie27 said:

I'm living in Marmaris at the moment. Law is you have to wear a mask everywhere apart from in restaurants/bars and when sunbathing. Loads ignoring it though

1 minute ago, XB52 said:

I'm living in Marmaris at the moment. Law is you have to wear a mask everywhere apart from in restaurants/bars and when sunbathing. Loads ignoring it though

Thats where I plan on spending the majority of my time so look forward to it.

Heading to Gumbet. Should get there fine but hopefully cases stay low so quarantine measures aren't introduced whilst over there.

19 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

So I want be able to watch my boy play?

It doesn’t sound sensible  in the slightest, so could well happen.

I understand professional football having restrictions on spectating but kids and youth/amateur teams where the players probably outnumber the spectators and they are all in open fields or grounds with huge open standing areas seems incredible given what other things we can do such as visit pubs, restaurants or even travel on public transport.

It just has now reached a point where all reason is gone and we just follow blindly.

I'd happily wear a mask if that was required to do so.

Edited by Ron Burgundy

Selkirk_Jambo
1 hour ago, vegas-voss said:

Wives uncle just got back from Krakow.He hated it - lovely place , lovely people , beautiful pubs but he felt you couldn't do anything as it was far stricter than here and pubs were very quiet.That was about 3 weeks ago so maybe less strict now

Having been in Poland and Scotland in the past month, I found Scotland in general to be a bit stricter. Poland was fairly relaxed. Still observed face masks and social distancing but everything was open and no reservations or track and trace required. 

Still, it was still very easy to have fun in both countries. I really can't understand how putting on your face mask here and there and registering your presence can ruin a holiday but each to their own. 

Brighton Jambo
14 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

The way I see it........

The biggest factor in the increase is releasing lockdown. We locked down and when you unlock infections were always going to increase.  Its not surprising the 20-29 group would face the biggest increase. They are  generation who has been encouraged to get the economy running from returning to work/education to Socialising with government incentives. Whilst they are the generation of low paid job which brings its own issues.

They are even perhaps more likely to break the rules because they are so low risk. However, adherence to  rules is a individual choice in reality not defined by age. 

I’m not dismissing your personal experience but I can’t say i have seen groups of twenty somethings breaking the rules. My experience is twenty somethings are grown ass adults and adhere to the rules its more the kids/teenagers I see hanging about in groups or whatever. Whilst any Resteraunt/pubs I have been in have adhered to the rule impeccably. I have to be honest I find the rule remarkably well adhered to, all things considered. Though that is just my experience.

The language that is being used is incredibly ill judged and does nothing to address the issue. It tries to apportion blame for any future spread to the ‘young generation’ . By all means have targeted campaigns or whatever to change behaviour but the narrative of blame the young is nonsense.

However, the spread is not so much because a few bad twenty somethings not following the rules its cause we’re opening back up and living life outside our own four walls. A huge issue was lockdown is we went in with no exit strategy and we now face the consequences of unwinding.

If Hancock and the govt believe coming out with the  ‘don’t kill your granny’  narrative will have a constructive impact on the behaviour they are ‘supposedly’ trying to address they are even more incompetent than I believed.

As I have alluded I think its a political strategy of pass the buck.

Let’s agree to disagree.

Across other European countries they are saying the same thing based on the data.  I don’t believe they are all passing the buck.  

9 minutes ago, Selkirk_Jambo said:

Having been in Poland and Scotland in the past month, I found Scotland in general to be a bit stricter. Poland was fairly relaxed. Still observed face masks and social distancing but everything was open and no reservations or track and trace required. 

Still, it was still very easy to have fun in both countries. I really can't understand how putting on your face mask here and there and registering your presence can ruin a holiday but each to their own. 

I was in Poland last month and I think I only had a face mask on twice, checking in to the apartment and on a boat trip where it was mandatory.

jack D and coke
54 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

The way I see it........

The biggest factor in the increase is releasing lockdown. We locked down and when you unlock infections were always going to increase.  Its not surprising the 20-29 group would face the biggest increase. They are  generation who has been encouraged to get the economy running from returning to work/education to Socialising with government incentives. Whilst they are the generation of low paid job which brings its own issues.

They are even perhaps more likely to break the rules because they are so low risk. However, adherence to  rules is a individual choice in reality not defined by age. 

I’m not dismissing your personal experience but I can’t say i have seen groups of twenty somethings breaking the rules. My experience is twenty somethings are grown ass adults and adhere to the rules its more the kids/teenagers I see hanging about in groups or whatever. Whilst any Resteraunt/pubs I have been in have adhered to the rule impeccably. I have to be honest I find the rule remarkably well adhered to, all things considered. Though that is just my experience.

The language that is being used is incredibly ill judged and does nothing to address the issue. It tries to apportion blame for any future spread to the ‘young generation’ . By all means have targeted campaigns or whatever to change behaviour but the narrative of blame the young is nonsense.

However, the spread is not so much because a few bad twenty somethings not following the rules its cause we’re opening back up and living life outside our own four walls. A huge issue was lockdown is we went in with no exit strategy and we now face the consequences of unwinding.

If Hancock and the govt believe coming out with the  ‘don’t kill your granny’  narrative will have a constructive impact on the behaviour they are ‘supposedly’ trying to address they are even more incompetent than I believed.

As I have alluded I think its a political strategy of pass the buck.

We have (they have I should say) absolutely no idea how to get out of this mess. 
Matt Hancock is yet another poisonous little welt of a Tory and brings a seethe about me when he talks. 
On a par with Gove now I’m how much i despise the little twat. 

Edited by jack D and coke

Selkirk_Jambo
22 minutes ago, graygo said:

I was in Poland last month and I think I only had a face mask on twice, checking in to the apartment and on a boat trip where it was mandatory.

Yep. For me, only in the supermarkets, on a train and at the entrance to one bar. 5 or 6 times, max. 

2 hours ago, Brighton Jambo said:

A lot of media saying people are becoming relaxed or complacent and that is leading to the rise in cases.  That may be true but I think there is also a lot of fatigue involved.  People have simply had enough, I know I have.

I think this fatigue is exacerbated by the doom mongers (including those on here) who point out this isn’t going way anytime soon, winter will be worse, this could last well into next year etc.  People hear that and think well what’s the point then, might as well just enjoy myself as it’s not going away and they don’t want to live this way indefinitely.  

Very true . The impact on the quality of life for people has been horrendous compared to what we are trying to achieve . Vulnerable / older make their own risk if they want to go out let them ! If not stay at home. What’s the big issue with that ? Others can get on with their lives , keep the economy going , increase people’s mental well being etc . In effect living with the virus not in fear of it . Sure as hell in the winter the anxiety levels of the doom merchants will hit their peak ! You ain’t seen nothing yet 

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic