22 years ago - For some the best Cup Final of all - Hearts 2 Rangers 1

London_Hearts

London_Hearts

I flew up from Gatwick to Glasgow on the Friday night. Rather than staying in Edinburgh I was staying on the Friday night with friends in Bridge of Weir.

The Friday night was spent in a couple of pubs in Bridge of Weir which were populated by lots of Rangers fans wishing me luck but not that much luck.

Saturday got the train from Johnstone to Glasgow Central. Jam packed with Rangers fans. I was the only one with a Hearts scarf on.

Then off to the Horseshoe to meet fellow London Hearts fans.

image04.jpg

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Worthing Jambo

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

• London_Hearts

• iantjambo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

22 years, man.

Time is zipping past and I don't like it. 

😭😊

Actually watched the whole game again last weekend, fecking last ten minutes still had me on the edge of my seat ! Also forgot just how many chances we had in the second half, a couple of very close calls .

God bless Jim Jeffries - a true Hearts Legend! ❤️

Honest truth.  I watched it on video at least 6 weeks after the game was played.  I'd previously seen the goals but that's all.

The last 10 minutes took about 3 hours.  I almost couldn't bear to watch.

Fully agree with Fila.  With a morsel of luck, we would have nabbed another couple after going 2-0 up.  It should have been 10!  No  sorry.  That was a different final.

2 hours ago, Kiwidoug said:

Honest truth.  I watched it on video at least 6 weeks after the game was played.  I'd previously seen the goals but that's all.

The last 10 minutes took about 3 hours.  I almost couldn't bear to watch.

Fully agree with Fila.  With a morsel of luck, we would have nabbed another couple after going 2-0 up.  It should have been 10!  No  sorry.  That was a different final.

Was so incredible yet psychological torture. I was so confident we’d win yet when Mickey scored the pen I kept saying we’ve scored too early. I just remember the Adam goal and being in complete disbelief. Even to this day I can’t watch the last ten minutes. Standing watching at Celtic park was bad enough especially when Ally went down on the edge of the box. 

The full time whistle and the celebrations after are wonderful memories. 

London_Hearts

The two unsung heroes of the game are Bonkle and the far side linesman.

Bonkle for ruling that Albertz’s red card the previous week was for violent conduct. 

the linesman for pointing out that THAT  free kick was outside the box.

I still remember when the final whistle went, for a good few seconds, everyone around where I was at park head were like "what do we do now, have we really won?" And then the party started. I cried like a baby then.

The 2012 final was special, but nothing will ever beat this day in 1998.

Although 2012 was special, the 1998 final was the first win in a major competition for most of us and therefore the most emotional. What a day. As most have said the last 8 minutes seemed like hours. When McCoist went down, I thought 'penalty', that's it then. Typical, get so close, always the same old story with us. Like others, I have watched the game again and watching Davie Weir's face when the final whistle goes, he seems unsure of what has happened for a few seconds.

The scenes in Gorgie that night were something else. No idea how I got home but vaguely remember being in Stratties walking on broken glass. Happy days

Celebrating with a can of skol on the bench near the gorgie farm. What a day. My favourite cup final, we had waited so long and had so many disappointments. 

624BEC1C-3CB0-4038-954F-FE799B264710.jpeg

Seaside jambo

First final I saw hearts win , was great to be there with my son and friends with there sons , was in a trance  on the bus on the way back to Porty just couldn’t believe it you couldn’t get the smile of my face with a pick for days 

the best final by far 

Even after all these years I still get tears in my eyes when watching it.  Brings back all the emotions and great memories of a fantastic weekend.

London_Hearts

IIRC It was the last competitive game without the time board.

The longest 13 minutes 26 seconds of our lives. Seemed like an hour, a day, a week, a month, a year, a decade, a century... eternity.

image12.jpg

image13.jpg

image10.jpg

image15.jpg

Clip0001.jpg

Clip0002.jpg

iwasthere1954

I remember getting off the bus at Chesser Avenue as Gorgie had been closed to traffic. Walking along and I thought this is crazy busy. Got stuck at the bottom of Robertson Avenue and looking around everyone had cases of beer. I told the young guy with us get along to the wine shop on the corner of Wheatfield Street and get some beer. He took ages and returned with nothing. They had closed as all alcohol had been sold out. Then the bus came under the railway bridge with the players on the roof. Neil McCann almost lost the top of his head as he was standing up. Fabulous memory.  

Werner Herzog

Quite possibly my favourite / most memorable game I've been to (& without question, this was my favourite Hearts side: from the team to the manager). I was only 13 at the time, but as I went to the previous 2 cup finals against Rangers, I already felt like a wounded veteran. I'll never forget the volume of folk running to the loo in 'I can't watch' terror after McCoist's goal. The amount of grown men in tears after the full time whistle was also unreal. Amazing day.

Never again would they be able to sing to us “feck all, yer gonna win feck all”

Only time I have cried with emotion at a game. Echo whats been said re the last 10 minutes, felt like 3 hours. Will never forget it. 

maroondevo52
19 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

One of the best days of my life. 

Ditto, I remember after the game a rangers fan said to me if you were a hibby I would have smashed your face in.

gashauskis9

Nothing comes close to this, not even 2012 imo.  Give me a long awaited cup win in the sun over a superb Rangers team over a habitual pumping over them any day of the week.  

I get the significance of 2012, but I must admit I felt pretty numb after it because it was such a foregone conclusion after 50 minutes.  Sometimes the games when you steal a late winner or hold onto a one goal lead with everything you’ve got mean much much more in terms of memories and relief.

26 minutes ago, Beave1874 said:

Only time I have cried with emotion at a game. Echo whats been said re the last 10 minutes, felt like 3 hours. Will never forget it. 

I think I smoked a packet of 20 Marlboro in the last 10 minutes, as did everyone else I seen. Never experienced a more nerve wracking end to a game in my life. 

gashauskis9
4 minutes ago, maroondevo52 said:

Ditto, I remember after the game a rangers fan said to me if you were a hibby I would have smashed your face in.

I would have told him “if I was a hibby I would have let you” 😎

1 hour ago, BarneyBattles said:

Feels like yesterday. I partied for weeks. The Sunday was an incredible day. Good interview with JJ. 
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51679823

Ffs, man. Reading and watching that has got me welling up again.😁

I remember breaking down as the second goal went in. Emotion swept over me as the possibilities dawned.  

I can recall tens of Hearts fans in the concourse who couldn’t watch the last ten mins after Rangers scored. That whole day/weekend worked every element of the human body and mind! 😂🇱🇻🏆

Craig Herbertson

That last ten minutes. Unbearable to watch even now. Keep thinking they will score.

21 minutes ago, Gashauskis9 said:

Nothing comes close to this, not even 2012 imo.  Give me a long awaited cup win in the sun over a superb Rangers team over a habitual pumping over them any day of the week.  

I get the significance of 2012, but I must admit I felt pretty numb after it because it was such a foregone conclusion after 50 minutes.  Sometimes the games when you steal a late winner or hold onto a one goal lead with everything you’ve got mean much much more in terms of memories and relief.

But how good is it to have had both? I agree with you though and was talking about the 98 final to my kids the other day. 

98 had so much back story and was like a dramatic ending to an epic film.  Everything aligned that weekend, even the weather was there for us.😁

Both Finals have their own reasons for being hugely significant and important but for young Hearts fans who weren’t around in 98, they won’t really grasp the moment in time and what it meant up to that point.  

2012 had its own circumstances and thank god we did the job. It’s given us lifelong bragging rights. 🏆🇱🇻🍺

As emotional as the result was, the thing that brought the most tears to my eyes, watching Robbo lift the cup.

Looks like I'll be watching the game again tonight, followed by Neil Pointons video of the day.

Craig Herbertson
6 minutes ago, superjack said:

As emotional as the result was, the thing that brought the most tears to my eyes, watching Robbo lift the cup.

Looks like I'll be watching the game again tonight, followed by Neil Pointons video of the day.

That was one of so many emotional triggers. From the last ten minutes of the game until the day after the parade I was in a different happy world where everything had been put right.

gashauskis9
5 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

But how good is it to have had both? I agree with you though and was talking about the 98 final to my kids the other day. 

98 had so much back story and was like a dramatic ending to an epic film.  Everything aligned that weekend, even the weather was there for us.😁

Both Finals have their own reasons for being hugely significant and important but for young Hearts fans who weren’t around in 98, they won’t really grasp the moment in time and what it meant up to that point.  

2012 had its own circumstances and thank god we did the job. It’s given us lifelong bragging rights. 🏆🇱🇻🍺

Totally, it’s great to have all three because they were all completely different imo.  2012 is of more historical significance and I’ll no doubt resonate with it more in years to come when I tell the wee ones about the fact that I was there.

1998 was so so personal to me though.  That was my cup win.  19 years old, not a care in the world, letting it all go over the course of a crazy week 😎

Dusk_Till_Dawn

I still cannot believe - genuinely - that a penalty wasn’t given for that foul on McCoist. Even though it was outside the box, I would 100% expect a Scottish ref to just give it. Just about shat myself as he went down.

davemclaren
6 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

I still cannot believe - genuinely - that a penalty wasn’t given for that foul on McCoist. Even though it was outside the box, I would 100% expect a Scottish ref to just give it. Just about shat myself as he went down.

I think we all did. 

London_Hearts
21 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Willie Young was going to give it. It was the linesman who pointed out that it was outside the area.

Jingle Bells
Our group went by train to and from the game.
On the train back everybody looked traumatised ,due to stress involved, once McCoist had scored, almost in a stupor.
Past Linlithgow and suddenly the realisation dawned that  we had actually won something after all the previous years of disappointment.
The train went mental thereafter.
Got to Haymarket and cars where whizzing about with Hearts fans hanging out the windows waving flags.
There was a good numbers at Haymarket singing their hearts out (including the Northern Ireland branch,I think) waiting for the Team bus to pass.
Luckily a Policeman told everybody that the bus wouldn't be passing that way and to pile down to Tynie instead, which we duly did, just in time for the team bus arriving. Celebrations were something else there and some maroon clad folk , were still falling out of the pubs a week later.
The best of times.

no_photo.png

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Lots of love to all the guys from Ship Inn Musselburgh. 

What a wonderful bunch that made the weekend even more special 

Jingle Bells
2 hours ago, superjack said:

Looks like I'll be wa

tching the game again tonight, followed by Neil Pointons video of the day.

London_Hearts

You can see us on the Neil Pointin video outside the bus. 

Shortly after Leslie Deans asks ‘Would you like to hold the Cup?’ 

2B6129AF-8A4F-472E-9F7E-7CE1EA4325FF.jpeg

5 hours ago, inspector said:

Although 2012 was special, the 1998 final was the first win in a major competition for most of us and therefore the most emotional. What a day. As most have said the last 8 minutes seemed like hours. When McCoist went down, I thought 'penalty', that's it then. Typical, get so close, always the same old story with us. Like others, I have watched the game again and watching Davie Weir's face when the final whistle goes, he seems unsure of what has happened for a few seconds.

The scenes in Gorgie that night were something else. No idea how I got home but vaguely remember being in Stratties walking on broken glass. Happy days

We also beat the best team I have ever seen in Scottish football (far better than the Lisbon Lions IMO). Laudrup was amazing. Goram probably the best keeper I have seen as well. We were lucky that Gascoigne had left and Albertz was suspended but our fortitude was incredible. I know many will disagree but for me Stephane Adam (on his day) was best footballing forward to pull on a maroon shirt in my time watching Hearts.

I remember coming back by car and a stretch limo pulled up beside us and gave us glasses of champagne an amazing day.

The feeling and scenes of 98 will always be better than 2012 imo. The Rangers side we’re full of superstars and internationals. The Hubz squad was rank rotten and we all knew the 2012 game was all over as a contest shortly after halftime. Had we got 7 or 8 and avenged the New Year’s Day game in 73 then I’d maybe inclined to change my opinion which is one that we let them off lightly. 

98 was edge of the seat stuff and went to the wire. Caning back through sighthill and seeing all the scarves and flags with people lining the streets will stay with me for a long time. I honestly think if we had beaten Celtic in last years final then that would’ve been right up there with 98. 

jimmy the jambo

I remember Rangers (aye they used to be called Rangers) fans congratulating our fans after the game and saying the best team won,Fairly unique as it would never happen now. 
Definitely the best ever day supporting hearts,Anyone who suffered the 80’s  watching us,Deserved that win. 

Samuel Camazzola

Just dug out my ticket. North West lower stand, row SS. Kinda next to where the new stand was being constructed. Pleasantly surprised to learn my ticket cost me £7!

At the end of the match, I managed to work my way down and around to the front row next to the halfway line. I was stood next to Gary MacKay who was trying to get from the stand to join the cup parade on the pitch. The security guys were having none of it despite his pleas. Fair to say Gary was fizzing! 😄 

My favourite of the finals. Best weekend ever.

Train through. No drink taken till after. The Sunday inside Tynecastle with my 7 year old daughter saying, “Make the most of this you might never see it again”

That was how we felt back then. How wrong I was