VAN NICKED

John mcCartney

John mcCartney

A long shot I know,if possible keep an eye out for a mint 2 year old Transit Custom high roof ,short wheel based van knocking around.
reg no is FV67 JYJ......its unmarked,white with `Rhino` roofrack,rear ladder and footstep fitted.I also had a security lock on drivers door of which
the key fits in a wide distinctive bezel (thats the surrounding area of key entry point).
Nicked last night from home and no evidence whatsoever of a break in.Must have been electronically done.....

Absolutely gutted as expected.Certain amount of tools(joiner) in back too along with accessories which will cause some pain along the way.

Anybody else with this experience and did you have any luck in finding your motor ???

This happened to my neighbour last week who is also a Joiner. 

Van, tools, everything gone. 

It seems to be rife at the moment. 

These guys are obviously targeting tradies and are pro's because they can do it without breaking entry and setting off alarms. 

John mcCartney

Im at Newhaven.Edinburgh`s northernmost point.

2 hours ago, Cruyff said:

This happened to my neighbour last week who is also a Joiner. 

Any info on the guy much appreciated via pm.What type of van,any progress etc...I might know the geezer too

Just now, John mcCartney said:

Im at Newhaven.Edinburgh`s northernmost point.

Any info on the guy much appreciated via pm.What type of van,any progress etc...I might know the geezer too

I'll pm you. 

Carl Weathers

My dads transit got stolen from Portobello last year. Apparently you used to be able to buy master keys online that could unlock Transit locks (not sure if that was just older models). 

Seaside jambo

There are two gangs one from pilton another from Niddrie way stealing them 

(police info ) they park them in quiet streets sometimes quiet near where they are taking from so they don’t get caught driving them at night 

they are then sold and then collected and delivered  

worth a wee drive round quite streets that are around you 

myself and son have both lost vans both joiners 

hope you get it back 

cut the hands of the scum 😤

Greedy Jambo
25 minutes ago, Seaside jambo said:

(police info ) they park them in quiet streets sometimes quiet near where they are taking from so they don’t get caught driving them at night 

hope you get it back 

Aye, you're bang on with that. 

My motorbike was found only about 300 yards away in the next street. They tried to hide it in someones garden for later pickup. 

Edited by Space Pirate

John mcCartney
2 hours ago, Seaside jambo said:

hope you get it back 

Thanks mate,yes Ive bin driving around my manor this afternoon after being told of what they get up to.
Ive just rested on me laurels with the new lock on offside door done 6 months ago after me plumber mates custom cab was broken into and revealed certain truths about the security of em.
Should have had a tracker fitted....................

The Real Maroonblood
2 hours ago, Seaside jambo said:

hope you get it back 

I’m sure the tools cost a fortune.

Mad Dog Logan

Know how you feel, I had a Transit Custom stolen last summer, according to the police gangs are targeting Transits as they are simple to steal, Ford know this but sell that many that they don't give a shit.

Police found it 3 months later in Blairgowrie.

Good luck getting it back.

John mcCartney

So simple  yes indeed chief
Ford should be taken to task re this,it is absolutely ridiculous how this is allowed to happen.
Did you have a replacement at the time it was found and all that ?
What happens there then

Governor Tarkin

Thieves should be tarred and marched through the streets.

Absolute lowest of the low.

Good luck getting your gear back, chaps.

Mad Dog Logan
3 minutes ago, John mcCartney said:

So simple  yes indeed chief
Ford should be taken to task re this,it is absolutely ridiculous how this is allowed to happen.
Did you have a replacement at the time it was found and all that ?
What happens there then

Insurance paid out about a month after it was stolen, so by the time the van was found I already had a replacement, not a Ford though, never again.

After the insurance company pay out they then own the van if its recovered.

My van was also unmarked so easier to hide after being nicked. Polis reckon they are stolen to do burglaries and hide stolen motor bikes in the back.

will-i-am-a-jambo

I'm really sorry to hear this. Not quite on the same scale but recently had the handlebars off my bicycle stolen, cost me a good £200 to replace.

Hope you get your van back and the thieves caught. Total lowlife scum bags.

John mcCartney
37 minutes ago, Mad Dog Logan said:

Insurance paid out about a month after it was stolen, so by the time the van was found I already had a replacement, not a Ford though, never again.

After the insurance company pay out they then own the van if its recovered.

My van was also unmarked so easier to hide after being nicked. Polis reckon they are stolen to do burglaries and hide stolen motor bikes in the back.

Yeah righto,thanks for that.

lowlife scumbags indeed...........quite incred the bollocks to do that sort of shit ,brazen fcukers
Im trying not to think about the cost to me for this episode at the mo,but the inventory im making up re tools n accessories is looking like a steep curve on a graph at the mo.

Mad Dog Logan
2 minutes ago, John mcCartney said:

Yeah righto,thanks for that.

lowlife scumbags indeed...........quite incred the bollocks to do that sort of shit ,brazen fcukers
Im trying not to think about the cost to me for this episode at the mo,but the inventory im making up re tools n accessories is looking like a steep curve on a graph at the mo.

The more I think about it, it was probably about 20 days before the insurance paid up. 

I was with Admiral,  I had 3 separate calls from them asking me the exact same questions every time.

When did you last use the van? Where were you? What were you doing? Was the van definitely locked after you last used it? etc. Basically trying anything to trip me up and wriggle out of paying.

I hope you do get your van back but either way your insurance premium in future will rocket whether its recovered or you get a replacement😟

Commercial vehicle theft is big business. Some people I used to work with got their Ford Cargo 7.5 ton stolen a few years ago. The truck was never found but the £150k of PA equipment that was in the back was found on wasteland near Leeds. 

Absolute scumbag behaviour at the best of times, but to do it now in the current situation is beyond belief.

Stealing from those who are already perhaps on the bare bones of their arse. Hope you get your van back, or at least some justice John.

On 17/04/2020 at 16:14, John mcCartney said:

A long shot I know,if possible keep an eye out for a mint 2 year old Transit Custom high roof ,short wheel based van knocking around.
reg no is FV67 JYJ......its unmarked,white with `Rhino` roofrack,rear ladder and footstep fitted.I also had a security lock on drivers door of which
the key fits in a wide distinctive bezel (thats the surrounding area of key entry point).
Nicked last night from home and no evidence whatsoever of a break in.Must have been electronically done.....

Absolutely gutted as expected.Certain amount of tools(joiner) in back too along with accessories which will cause some pain along the way.

Anybody else with this experience and did you have any luck in finding your motor ???

Just saw this post, John.

Bloody shitbags that do this kind of thing.

Hope you get your van back, and manage to get a wee shot at the pigs that thought it acceptable to take it from you.

Doctor FinnBarr
1 hour ago, Locky said:

Absolute scumbag behaviour at the best of times, but to do it now in the current situation is beyond belief.

Stealing from those who are already perhaps on the bare bones of their arse. Hope you get your van back, or at least some justice John.

Stealing a van/tools from a working man (anytime) is removing a man's means to support his family, lower than low in my book.

Dagger Is Back
On 17/04/2020 at 15:14, John mcCartney said:

Sorry to hear that. Sickening enough at any time but especially now when folks like you already have enough on your plate to worry about.

Good tip re checking out the vicinity

Reminds me of the bar stewards who tried to nick my Kawasaki Z1000 from Charlotte Square. They ripped the starter motor out to immobilise it and no doubt would have come back later that night to lift it.

Ended up having to wheel it from Charlotte Square to Sighthill.

Scumbags

Hope you get your van and tools back intact

Unknown user

Ffs sorry to hear that

heartsfc_fan

Having your work horse or pride and joy stolen must be horrendous.

I've got a cheap CCTV camera pointing on our driveway watching both our motors.

Granted it's not going to make them any harder to steal, but at least it will help with evidence if the worst happened.

The Real Maroonblood
31 minutes ago, heartsfc_fan said:

Granted it's not going to make them any harder to steal, but at least it will help with evidence if the worst happened.

It’s a good idea having the CCTV.

Might make the scumbags think twice.

highlandjambo3
On 17/04/2020 at 23:09, will-i-am-a-jambo said:

I'm really sorry to hear this. Not quite on the same scale but recently had the handlebars off my bicycle stolen, cost me a good £200 to replace.

Hope you get your van back and the thieves caught. Total lowlife scum bags.

£200 fir handlebars......ffs, I want a new suit and a holiday for that 😀

will-i-am-a-jambo
1 hour ago, highlandjambo3 said:

£200 fir handlebars......ffs, I want a new suit and a holiday for that 😀

I know what you mean, l could've got a whole new bike for that amount of money! It was complicated by the fact l had to get new gears, brake levers, bell, reflector, grips etc. The criminals had cut the brake and gear cables and the brakes were hydraulic so all the cabling had to be replaced, of course the most expensive part was the labour, when all added together it was just over £200.

will-i-am-a-jambo
3 hours ago, heartsfc_fan said:

Thats a really good idea, may act as deterrent for opportunists as well. Was tempted to put something like that in my tenement landing to point them at my bikes but thought it just cheaper to have the bikes in the flat instead although l don't really have the space.

I'm assuming the vehicle was white and stolen in the Newhaven area?

Police will be worse than useless even without Covid sadly. I remember when my car got nicked they came took a report then 5 days later I got a call that it had been found burnt out at the Jack Kane sports centre in Niddrie, and that I'd have to pay £100 to get it removed. My mate gave me a lift out there, but we drove and walked around for an hour but couldn't find it - did find plenty of other burnt out vehicles round the back.

John mcCartney
8 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

I'm assuming the vehicle was white and stolen in the Newhaven area?

Yes,Friday early morning.
Speaking to a bloke along at Leith Links yesterday that had his van,tools,stock  taken.Thats 3 weeks now and not a sausage.
He had them on cctv but what can be done once the motor is driven off and they`ve been wearing hoods.
Kicking meself that I never had a tracker fitted.
Im wondering if the roads are that empty then motors can be identified on main routes from traffic light cameras and that the cops have a squiz at that stuff.

Mad Dog Logan
44 minutes ago, John mcCartney said:

Yes,Friday early morning.
Speaking to a bloke along at Leith Links yesterday that had his van,tools,stock  taken.Thats 3 weeks now and not a sausage.
He had them on cctv but what can be done once the motor is driven off and they`ve been wearing hoods.
Kicking meself that I never had a tracker fitted.
Im wondering if the roads are that empty then motors can be identified on main routes from traffic light cameras and that the cops have a squiz at that stuff.

I asked the police about this when my van was nicked, they said it was more than likely they would have swapped the number plates so wouldn't set of any alerts with cameras etc.

John mcCartney
Just now, Mad Dog Logan said:

I asked the police about this when my van was nicked, they said it was more than likely they would have swapped the number plates so wouldn't set of any alerts with cameras etc.

There still room for spotting the van if they taking it to their lair.Thats where the plates would be changed possibly ?
If you have a distinctive motor then surely it could be seen especially at this moment in time with the roads being empty etc.

Prob the cops dont have a designated camera analyst and the krunts who take have their route sussed out.

AlphonseCapone
On 17/04/2020 at 19:13, Space Pirate said:

Absolute scum. I'll keep an eye out. 

Had my motorbike stolen in the past, i know the feeling. 

My motorbike was stolen lost week. Passed my CBT recently and only had the bike two months. Police recovered it but was a write off. 

Mad Dog Logan
6 minutes ago, John mcCartney said:

There still room for spotting the van if they taking it to their lair.Thats where the plates would be changed possibly ?
If you have a distinctive motor then surely it could be seen especially at this moment in time with the roads being empty etc.

Prob the cops dont have a designated camera analyst and the krunts who take have their route sussed out.

Yeah possibly, suppose it depends on how quickly they can change the plates or how far their lair is from where they nicked it.

My van was recovered with no plates, was identified using the chassis number.

Even although I no longer owned the van when it was recovered it was still in good condition, hopefully will be the same with yours.  

John mcCartney
9 minutes ago, Mad Dog Logan said:

Even although I no longer owned the van when it was recovered it was still in good condition, hopefully will be the same with yours.  

Yep cheers

5 minutes ago, indianajones said:

A lot of opportunistic scumbags about just now. 

The bloke I mentioned previous,said the krunts before they took off had been sitting in the van for an hour at least.
Probably had a tablet plugged in and programming a key to start it up.

John mcCartney
1 hour ago, AlphonseCapone said:

My motorbike was stolen lost week. Passed my CBT recently and only had the bike two months. Police recovered it but was a write off. 

brutal
condolences to you too

The Real Maroonblood

If they crashed and injured themselves I hope it wasn’t anything trivial.

Greedy Jambo
On 19/04/2020 at 14:09, AlphonseCapone said:

Was it a Honda CBR 125 by any chance? 

All the wee shites know how to get them started. 

I had one, caught a 16 year old at it with a pair of scissors. That bike went missing more than once.

Edited by Space Pirate

On 19/04/2020 at 16:39, The Real Maroonblood said:

If they crashed and injured themselves I hope it wasn’t anything trivial.

:spoton:

On 18/04/2020 at 23:25, FinnBarr Saunders said:

Stealing a van/tools from a working man (anytime) is removing a man's means to support his family, lower than low in my book.

Sadly the type of person who does this doesn’t think of anyone except themselves 

Doctor FinnBarr
On 19/04/2020 at 14:09, AlphonseCapone said:

Bike theft in Edinburgh has been brutal for the last 5 or so years, even more so when a lot of them belong to tourists who stop off in town for a night or so before heading further north without them realising how bad it actually is. Bang, holiday finished!

AlphonseCapone
22 hours ago, Space Pirate said:

Was it a Honda CBR 125 by any chance? 

All the wee shites know how to get them started. 

I had one, caught a 16 year old at it with a pair of scissors. That bike went missing more than once.

Nah was a Yamaha YS 125. Police found it in Drylaw. 

Greedy Jambo

Nah was a Yamaha YS 125. Police found it in Drylaw. 

Waste. 

Hope you managed to claim on the insurance. 

Tommy Brown

similar note

A guy posts on facebook that his Transit had been nicked in Broxburn.

The following morning, an East Calder resident posts cctv photos of it parked outside a bowling club in East Calder.

There had been an attempted break in.

John mcCartney
1 hour ago, Tommy Brown said:

similar note

A guy posts on facebook that his Transit had been nicked in Broxburn.

Has he specified what type of transit it is Tommy ?

Brutal this,stuck in limbo re trying to get back to where  I was.Replenishment of tools etc,stock n all that.
Do I hang fire or buy stuff,having a look at vans and there nothing thats caught the eye or its fecking miles away etc
No words from the fuzz either,sent an email on Sunday eve to the contactabe policeman....no fecking reply as yet.

ffs

Started buying gear last night and popping into my supplier this moz for stock.
Will the van van be found and will it have anythig left in it? probably not eh,I may as well crack on with purchasing.

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, John mcCartney said:

Has he specified what type of transit it is Tommy ?

Brutal this,stuck in limbo re trying to get back to where  I was.Replenishment of tools etc,stock n all that.
Do I hang fire or buy stuff,having a look at vans and there nothing thats caught the eye or its fecking miles away etc
No words from the fuzz either,sent an email on Sunday eve to the contactabe policeman....no fecking reply as yet.

ffs

Started buying gear last night and popping into my supplier this moz for stock.
Will the van van be found and will it have anythig left in it? probably not eh,I may as well crack on with purchasing.

I understand if you don’t want to post it on a public forum.

How much does it roughly cost to replace all your tools?