The greatest striker

H2

14 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

There were certainly few better.

I thought it was a thread on wee Robbo.

:sadrobbo:  Should have been, Al.

Greavsie was certainly deadly, that’s for sure.

Best ever strikers for me however were Cruyff, Jairzinho, Ronaldo (the fat one) and George Best.

1 hour ago, Morgan said:

Greavsie was certainly deadly, that’s for sure.

Best ever strikers for me however were Cruyff, Jairzinho, Ronaldo (the fat one) and George Best.

the thing that ronaldo (brazilian) had was his acceleration over a 6ft distance, he could use that to get the space to either get past a player or enough space for a shot

45 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

the thing that ronaldo (brazilian) had was his acceleration over a 6ft distance, he could use that to get the space to either get past a player or enough space for a shot

That’s right. I used to love watching him at Madrid when it was ‘El Galaticos’.

Unknown user
58 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

There was a period when he just seemed unstoppable, his pace and power were phenomenal, he was like the Lomu of football. Mbappe reminds me of him occasionally.

17 minutes ago, Morgan said:

That’s right. I used to love watching him at Madrid when it was ‘El Galaticos’.

Edit:  Los Galacticos.

John Findlay

Pele, Dixie Deans of Everton. Gerd Muller. There's three imho that would give Jimmy Greaves a run for his money. He was some finisher though.

Pele for me. That’s probably my age, though Greavsie played for West Ham (After he’d played for some other wee teams in London) so lot of time for him.

Also loved Saint & Greavsie

1 hour ago, John Findlay said:

Pele, Dixie Deans of Everton. Gerd Muller. There's three imho that would give Jimmy Greaves a run for his money. He was some finisher though.

Got to agree with you John but I'd put Gerd Muller at the top.  Like Greaves, he scored nearly all of his huge number of goals from inside the six yard box.  That takes a special skill that most don't have.  

John Findlay
44 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

Very good certainly but better than C. Ronaldo or Messi?  I don't think so.

Yes, because he could be tackled and taken hits from behind and instead of doing a triple axle and multiple rolls on the pitch. Got up and got on with it.

Loved Jimmy Greaves. He was great to watch. Rode a tackle brilliantly, acceleration was also great making space for himself.  But also loved Bobby Smith who was greatly underrated. 

1 hour ago, upgotheheads said:

Are they strikers?

37 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Yes, because he could be tackled and taken hits from behind and instead of doing a triple axle and multiple rolls on the pitch. Got up and got on with it.

A great point.

I wouldn't count Messi or C. Ronaldo as Strikers, forwards certainly. C. Ronaldo is probably more of a Centerforward/Striker than Messi is but both are more inside Forwards. 

Luiz Ronaldo, Romário, Henry, Shearer, Batistuta, Van Nistelrooy were different gravy. Luiz Ronaldo was the best in my lifetime but as a kid, I always went Romário because he was such a great finisher. 

All time? Van Basten was probably the most complete, he had everything. Gerd Müller maybe the most lethal 6 yard box striker ever, in fact he is. His record speaks for itself. 

32 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

I wouldn't count Messi or C. Ronaldo as Strikers, forwards certainly. C. Ronaldo is probably more of a Centerforward/Striker than Messi is but both are more inside Forwards. 

Luiz Ronaldo, Romário, Henry, Shearer, Batistuta, Van Nistelrooy were different gravy. Luiz Ronaldo was the best in my lifetime but as a kid, I always went Romário because he was such a great finisher. 

All time? Van Basten was probably the most complete, he had everything. Gerd Müller maybe the most lethal 6 yard box striker ever, in fact he is. His record speaks for itself. 

Agree totally about the Portuguese ponce.  He is not a centre-forward.

Shearer, Batistuta, the wonderful Henry?  Yes, you are so correct.

4 hours ago, Morgan said:

Agree totally about the Portuguese ponce.  He is not a centre-forward.

Shearer, Batistuta, the wonderful Henry?  Yes, you are so correct.

Henry was class but tbh but Alan Shearer is maybe the best Center-forward I've seen. Maybe.

It's hard to say because he was an Elite player that never really played at the pinnacle of the game. He played for unfashionable teams but he had everything bar lightening quick pace. He probably brought more to a side as a team player, with his hold up play and work rate etc... , than many of the others mentioned. 

I honestly forgot how good he was, 

Edited by Cruyff

rudi must stay
2 hours ago, Cruyff said:

Henry was class but tbh but Alan Shearer is maybe the best Center-forward I've seen. Maybe.

It's hard to say because he was an Elite player that never really played at the pinnacle of the game. He played for unfashionable teams but he had everything bar lightening quick pace. He probably brought more to a side as a team player, with his hold up play and work rate etc... , than many of the others mentioned. 

I honestly forgot how good he was, 

There's a recurring theme of any player Alex Ferguson wanted, they were all absolutely brilliant. He had a superb eye for a player 

If we're talking strikers a shout for Felipo Inzaghi, very very clever striker. Always on the move and a perseptive striker who'd catch a lot of keepers out, like Larsson in style 

Edited by rudi must stay

The Internet

Cristiano ronaldo has been an out and out striker for about 5 years now and is the best goalscorer of all time. Can talk all day about all these phenomenal players but they're all behind Messi and Ronaldo. 

If it's just penalty box strikers, Greaves has to be one of the very best ever. Muller, certainly. You don't get many nowadays. Forwards have to be able to drift wide and run channels. One of the best penalty box strikers I can remember in reasonably modern times was Andy Cole. Robbie Fowler was another.

John Findlay

The quickest to react in the penalty box was Denis Law. He moved with the speed of a Cobra.

hmfc_liam06
10 hours ago, Cruyff said:

Agree with the bit in bold. Neither are what you'd describe as a typical number 9. Which is what I'd say defines a "striker".

In my lifetime - Ronaldo, Romario, van Nistelrooy, Shearer, Raul, Ibrahimovic and Klose. ****ing love Klose.

1 hour ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

Cristiano ronaldo has been an out and out striker for about 5 years now and is the best goalscorer of all time. Can talk all day about all these phenomenal players but they're all behind Messi and Ronaldo. 

Eusebio 733 goals in 745 games. Probably better than Ronaldo. 

upgotheheads
12 hours ago, H2 said:

Are they strikers?

Anyone who scores a lot of goals is a striker. Add in the number of goals they create then the term 'striker' becomes a bit superfluous.

Unknown user
18 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

Anyone who scores a lot of goals is a striker. Add in the number of goals they create then the term 'striker' becomes a bit superfluous.

I'm not sure I agree with that, was Rudi a striker?

Van Basten and fat Ronaldo for me...surprised no-one’s mentioned Robbie Fowler when going through the british based strikers...deadly finisher

colinmaroon

Gerd Müller averaged a goal per game or better in seven of his 14 seasons. He scored 68 goals in 62 German international games. He held the record for most goals scored in a calendar year, striking 85 goals in 1972, eventually overtaken by Messi.

On stats alone....

According to the IFFHS, Pelé is the most successful domestic league goal-scorer in football history scoring 650 goals in 694 League matches, and in total 1281 goals in 1363 games, which included unofficial friendlies and is a Guinness World Record.

23 minutes ago, cb1874 said:

On stats alone....

According to the IFFHS, Pelé is the most successful domestic league goal-scorer in football history scoring 650 goals in 694 League matches, and in total 1281 goals in 1363 games, which included unofficial friendlies and is a Guinness World Record.

1281 in 1363 you should ask Ronaldo and Romário what they think of that claim. :rofl:

19 hours ago, ri Alban said:

So was Ian Rush.

Great finisher but having Dalglish alongside him made him what he was.

1 minute ago, EH11_2NL said:

Great finisher but having Dalglish alongside him made him what he was.

Definitely!

17 hours ago, upgotheheads said:

Ronaldo and Messi would be in wheelchairs if they'd played in the 60's and 70's. Norman Hunter, Tommy Smith, Billy Bremner would have crippled them!

2 minutes ago, EH11_2NL said:

Ronaldo and Messi would be in wheelchairs if they'd played in the 60's and 70's. Norman Hunter, Tommy Smith, Billy Bremner would have crippled them!

I don't think any of those would catch them. :)

1 minute ago, EH11_2NL said:

or crying for their mummies, and would have been banned from football for cheating. Football really has turned soft.

1 minute ago, ri Alban said:

I don't think any of those would catch them. :)

LOL, they wouldn't have to catch them, they wouldn't get past! 😁

2 minutes ago, H2 said:

LOL, they wouldn't have to catch them, they wouldn't get past! 😁

I wonder if any of these animals would make the grade today. Some were just there to injure or take out the opposition Star players.

Edited by ri Alban