Jump to content

Good Books ūüďö


Recommended Posts

Ma Roon

What's the best book's these days that you just can't put down, a good Olly read, something with a twist in the tail a story that's got you on the edge of your seat, a good old jackanory 

Any recommendations to fill a few day's / week's during these coronavirus times 

Link to post
Share on other sites
iantjambo
47 minutes ago, Still Tynie said:

What's the best book's these days that you just can't put down, a good Olly read, something with a twist in the tail a story that's got you on the edge of your seat, a good old jackanory 

Any recommendations to fill a few day's / week's during these coronavirus times 


Sounds like an xBox exclusive.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Ma Roon

This thread should have been posted in The Shed, sorry troops 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Greedy Jambo

I've got this if anybody wants it. Don't think i'll ever bother reading it. 

 

 

images.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Paul Johnston's "Quint Dalrymple" alternative reality neo-noir crime novels are fantastic.

 

Following a global financial crisis in the late 1990's, the UK and most other nations on earth have broken up into tiny city-states.

Edinburgh is a facist/communist state based on the teachings of Plato.

Private cars are banned.

The Festival is year-round.

Princes St gardens is a racecourse.

The Forth Bridges have all been blown up.

The citizens have free lifelong education and full employment but are strictly controlled.

Against this backdrop we follow the life and strange cases of Quint Dalrymple, formerly a commander in the City Guard and now a private investigator.

 

The author's been writing this series since 1997 and he's just released the latest one.

Obviously, residents of Embra will get the most out of them but they're cracking good detective novels in their own right too.

1st in the series:51uRpLBy5kL._SX310_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
adambraejambo

Been out for a number of years but I enjoyed it and gets a good rating in every site . 

I-AM-PILGRIM-by-Terry-Hayes.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 7 months later...
manaliveits105

Shuggie Bain: Shortlisted for the Booker Prize 2020

 

Just won the Booker prize - about authors upbringing in East End Glasgow- brought up by an alchoholic mother in the 80s - highly recommended by judges 

His next book is to be about two teenage friends in Glasgow on the opposite ends of the sectarian spectrum

Douglas Stuart now lives in New York 

sounds a bit Irvine Welsh 

has anybody read ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, manaliveits105 said:

Shuggie Bain: Shortlisted for the Booker Prize 2020

 

Just won the Booker prize - about authors upbringing in East End Glasgow- brought up by an alchoholic mother in the 80s - highly recommended by judges 

His next book is to be about two teenage friends in Glasgow on the opposite ends of the sectarian spectrum

Douglas Stuart now lives in New York 

sounds a bit Irvine Welsh 

has anybody read ?

No I haven’t been it seems a really good read about his early life . 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Basically any book by the great Patricia Highsmith who wrote incredible psychological thrillers , in particular “ The talented Mr Ripley “ and it’s sequels . 

Link to post
Share on other sites
been here before
On 07/04/2020 at 19:38, Cade said:

Paul Johnston's "Quint Dalrymple" alternative reality neo-noir crime novels are fantastic.

 

Following a global financial crisis in the late 1990's, the UK and most other nations on earth have broken up into tiny city-states.

Edinburgh is a facist/communist state based on the teachings of Plato.

Private cars are banned.

The Festival is year-round.

Princes St gardens is a racecourse.

The Forth Bridges have all been blown up.

The citizens have free lifelong education and full employment but are strictly controlled.

Against this backdrop we follow the life and strange cases of Quint Dalrymple, formerly a commander in the City Guard and now a private investigator.

 

The author's been writing this series since 1997 and he's just released the latest one.

Obviously, residents of Embra will get the most out of them but they're cracking good detective novels in their own right too.

1st in the series:51uRpLBy5kL._SX310_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

 

Christ I bought that years ago when it first came out. I remember enjoying it, I should really dig it out and read it again.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 07/04/2020 at 19:38, Cade said:

Paul Johnston's "Quint Dalrymple" alternative reality neo-noir crime novels are fantastic.

 

Following a global financial crisis in the late 1990's, the UK and most other nations on earth have broken up into tiny city-states.

Edinburgh is a facist/communist state based on the teachings of Plato.

Private cars are banned.

The Festival is year-round.

Princes St gardens is a racecourse.

The Forth Bridges have all been blown up.

The citizens have free lifelong education and full employment but are strictly controlled.

Against this backdrop we follow the life and strange cases of Quint Dalrymple, formerly a commander in the City Guard and now a private investigator.

 

The author's been writing this series since 1997 and he's just released the latest one.

Obviously, residents of Embra will get the most out of them but they're cracking good detective novels in their own right too.

1st in the series:51uRpLBy5kL._SX310_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Unbelievably, Edinburgh City libraries don't have a copy which can be loaned out. :( 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just read

Dune by Frank Herbert 8/10

Killing Commendatore by Haruki Murakami 8/10

Dracula by Bram Stoker 9/10

4 x different books by Joe Abercrombie. Dark, violent, funny fantasy stuff. Currently reading Best Served Cold. All 9 or 10/10.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ri Alban said:

I liked Andy McNab books about 20 years ago. I might refresh my memory. 

I've read a couple of his recently, really interesting. 

Soldier Spy and I Spy by Tom Marcus are brilliant.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

I've read a couple of his recently, really interesting. 

Soldier Spy and I Spy by Tom Marcus are brilliant.

ūüĎ欆

I'll check them out, bud. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Malinga the Swinga
On 20/11/2020 at 09:59, manaliveits105 said:

Shuggie Bain: Shortlisted for the Booker Prize 2020

 

Just won the Booker prize - about authors upbringing in East End Glasgow- brought up by an alchoholic mother in the 80s - highly recommended by judges 

His next book is to be about two teenage friends in Glasgow on the opposite ends of the sectarian spectrum

Douglas Stuart now lives in New York 

sounds a bit Irvine Welsh 

has anybody read ?

I've read it, only because I got passed a copy for free. 

Honestly, if that one prize, the rest must have been dreadful. 

Shuggie Bain is a turgid hard read, with almost every cliche you can imagine. 

Try to read book every 2 weeks and this is second worst, only Homo Deus beat it. 

Give me John Connolly and his Charlie Parker series any day. The only books I'll pay full price for. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
manaliveits105

Cool I will give it a miss the subject and location didn’t really appeal and when I saw the author interviewed from his New York penthouse where he lives permanently he waffled on about Glasgow being a fabulous place with fabulous people in his posh accent and I thought eh naw

Link to post
Share on other sites
manaliveits105

Pick up a book and the world and it’s troubles disappear whilst you are reading . I read every night before going to sleep helps you relax


on book 3 of James Oswald’s Inspector McLean series which is set in Edinburgh 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Malinga the Swinga

Was in charity book shop in Morningside and then Waterstons yesterday. The amount of top class fiction books available has never been better, imo. 

Thriller books set in Edinburgh, Highland, West of Scotland, anywhere in UK or Europe and US all there at decent prices and the best can transport you into so many settings and bring story alive. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Malinga the Swinga said:

Was in charity book shop in Morningside and then Waterstons yesterday. The amount of top class fiction books available has never been better, imo. 

Thriller books set in Edinburgh, Highland, West of Scotland, anywhere in UK or Europe and US all there at decent prices and the best can transport you into so many settings and bring story alive. 

 

Love looking at books in charity shops. Was in one last week - cancer research - and they have so many donations it was buy one get one free for £1. Got a rebus and a Chris brookmyre. Went to oxfam but they were selling books for 2.99 upwards 

Link to post
Share on other sites
been here before
1 hour ago, LeftBack said:

Love looking at books in charity shops. Was in one last week - cancer research - and they have so many donations it was buy one get one free for £1. Got a rebus and a Chris brookmyre. Went to oxfam but they were selling books for 2.99 upwards 

 

Fir a charity shop Oxfam can rip the piss with some of their prices for books and vinyl.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, LeftBack said:

Love looking at books in charity shops. Was in one last week - cancer research - and they have so many donations it was buy one get one free for £1. Got a rebus and a Chris brookmyre. Went to oxfam but they were selling books for 2.99 upwards 

I’m lucky in that my local charity shop gets a lot of decent books through it. I tend to buy them and every couple of months hand them back to the same shop, I get a good read and they earn from the book twice. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Back
  1. 81Wjw6KiI1L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
  1. 41cgNShR4zL._SS126_.jpg


Fantastic book about three dirt poor brothers who become bank robbers.

You know from the off it won’t end well

Link to post
Share on other sites

I read a lot but especially enjoy Ian Rankin and Peter May. I have read all Andy McNabs books Clancy, and many other American novel authors. Have a library membership, but like everything because of Covid no pleasure going there anymore.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
J.T.F.Robertson
23 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

I read a lot but especially enjoy Ian Rankin and Peter May. I have read all Andy McNabs books Clancy, and many other American novel authors. Have a library membership, but like everything because of Covid no pleasure going there anymore.

 

 

Anything by Greg Iles, Bob. (that's iles)

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, J.T.F.Robertson said:

 

Anything by Greg Iles, Bob. (that's iles)

 

  Yes I have picked up a couple of his books, they are pretty good, haven't had one for a while becuse some new ones by my favorites had come out, Due for a trip to the library next month to get enough to carry me over Christmas and New Year when theres not much on TV.

Link to post
Share on other sites
manaliveits105

Andrey Kurkov books are an enjoyable read - a bit whacky like Louis De Bernier - but set in Ukraine 

Death and the Penguin was my favourite 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I was reading reviews about a book but I forgot the name of it. This woman's *** is a portal to another dimension and he falls in love with a ghost or zombie or what ever it was inside her ***. The reviews said it was funny.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Malinga the Swinga
9 hours ago, Sharpie said:

I read a lot but especially enjoy Ian Rankin and Peter May. I have read all Andy McNabs books Clancy, and many other American novel authors. Have a library membership, but like everything because of Covid no pleasure going there anymore.

 

Yep, Rankin and May are decent. My local library never been open since March. Council tax doesn't reduce but the services sure do. 

Got a Baldacci lined up next with about 100 unread books lying around,so plenty reading to see me through winter. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Jamhammer said:
Back
  1. 81Wjw6KiI1L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
  1. 41cgNShR4zL._SS126_.jpg


Fantastic book about three dirt poor brothers who become bank robbers.

You know from the off it won’t end well

Looks like my kinda book.

Next read for me.

I always read one book at a time.

Going to try 3 at a time after I have finished reading my current book.

Anybody else read multiple books at once.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, benny said:

Looks like my kinda book.

Next read for me.

I always read one book at a time.

Going to try 3 at a time after I have finished reading my current book.

Anybody else read multiple books at once.

I used to always have a serious type of book on the go and a more lighthearted or thriller type at the same time to escape to if needed. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 21/11/2020 at 21:58, Greedy Jambo said:

Still can't get into reading books, anyone want to tell me what all the fuss is about?

Much rather watch a movie or a tv series on netflix. 

I'm the same. But when I find something, I'm in. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



√ó
√ó
  • Create New...