The Boys (Not) in Maroon

Locky

3 minutes ago, Locky said:

Easily one of my most frustrating Hearts players. Good finisher, could've been a great player for us.

The big man gave a brutally honest interview a few years back admitting that Hearts was just the right club at the wrong time for him. On a big wage, he confessed he'd go straight to the airport after a match, fly to Paris on a Saturday night, go out on the piss, and fly back first thing on the Monday morning and go to training.

It showed in his performances too. Sluggish and unfit, but still knew how to put the ball in the net from time to time. Could've bagged 15-20 a season though if he was more disciplined.

Loved a goal against Hibs. For both Hearts and Raith. 

He was frustrating but, for all that, difficult to dislike. 

38 minutes ago, martoon said:

Loved a goal against Hibs. For both Hearts and Raith. 

He was frustrating but, for all that, difficult to dislike. 

Always wanted him to do so well for us, and get the doubters off his back. Hated when that lot used to call him a fat ****, he was shredded like mad. It's a shame he was a footballer and not a heavyweight boxer. :lol: 

4 hours ago, martoon said:

Obua wore green boots at least once. A midweek home game v. Hamilton early in Laszlo's tenure. I was in the lower main that night and he took plenty of stick anytime he came near. For the boots and his performance. 

Only other thing I recall is we won 1-0 but there was booing at FT. We took an early lead and defended it for 70/80 minutes. In the second 45 we barely crossed the half way line. 

Edit: iirc Laszlo came out with his "1-0 is the most beautiful/perfect result" quote. 

Strange boy, but I liked him. 

Rossi in "Hibs away"/Mickey Weir 1991 boots.

Igor Rossi Stock Pictures, Royalty-free Photos & Images - Getty Images

Pasquale for King

Sorry if it’s been me ruined but did we not wear white against Aberdeen around 1998-99 when they wore black and bear the 4 nil? Maybe Adam and Mcswegan with the goals?

Pasquale for King
15 hours ago, Locky said:

Always wanted him to do so well for us, and get the doubters off his back. Hated when that lot used to call him a fat ****, he was shredded like mad. It's a shame he was a footballer and not a heavyweight boxer. :lol: 

Certainly knocked Black our with one punch but that wasn’t really a fair fight. A frustrating player no doubt about that. He would lay the ball off to Driver, who would run down the wing and look up and Nade was about five yards from where he had laid it off. No wonder Csaba used to lose the plot, and he didn’t have much else up front.

5 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Certainly knocked Black our with one punch but that wasn’t really a fair fight. A frustrating player no doubt about that. He would lay the ball off to Driver, who would run down the wing and look up and Nade was about five yards from where he had laid it off. No wonder Csaba used to lose the plot, and he didn’t have much else up front.

:lol:

Forgot all about that dressing room scuffle. Never saw a lot of Nade after that night I don't think.

On 03/04/2020 at 17:06, Gorgiewave said:

I'm sure I've seen Hearts players wearing green boots in recent years. Can't think who right now. Rossi?

Obua wore green boots in one of his early games iirc

queensferryjambo
On 03/04/2020 at 11:41, Debut 4 said:

As a wee side thought, and it’s often a neutral colour for goalies, has a Hearts keeper ever wore a green goalie top?  🤢😳

Yes. 

Not sure if it was loaned by East Fife though due to kit clash.

No photo description available.

queensferryjambo
On 03/04/2020 at 11:41, Debut 4 said:

As a wee side thought, and it’s often a neutral colour for goalies, has a Hearts keeper ever wore a green goalie top?  🤢😳

Get your sick bag ready as well for this rejected Bukta sample apparently.

43248194_10217521167528134_1094846734946

43407027_10217521187128624_4177772168366

queensferryjambo
On 03/04/2020 at 09:12, Locky said:

Another random daft thread to pass the time, but what games can you recall us not wearing our traditional colours at home?

We had a habit of showing off the next seasons kit on the last game of the season as a kind of advert. We done this a lot of times but generally it was next seasons home kit.

In season 2002/03 we wore the 2003/04 away kit at home versus Dundee on last match of the season. Oddly Dundee wore away kit as well.

2003052502.jpg

andythejambo
On 07/04/2020 at 07:58, martoon said:

My first game. 

Apparently the ref wasn't happy about Hearts' maroon clashing with Dundee's dark blue and insisted on a change. Neither club had an available alternative so our kitman was sent to a sports shop to get what he could. The red stripes was the best they could offer. 

The sports shop in question was Thorntons. My mate had a Saturday job there, and went with the kitman in a taxi back to Tynecastle. The kit was similar to Sunderland, red/white top, black shorts, red socks. 

1 hour ago, queensferryjambo said:

We had a habit of showing off the next seasons kit on the last game of the season as a kind of advert. We done this a lot of times but generally it was next seasons home kit.

In season 2002/03 we wore the 2003/04 away kit at home versus Dundee on last match of the season. Oddly Dundee wore away kit as well.

2003052502.jpg

I remember this actually. I wasn't at the game, but I do remember us wearing that kit.

Used to be quite common for teams to do this with their new kits, unless teams are changing sponsor or kit maker. 

Haven't seen it much for years now but I did go to a Schalke game where they wore the new shirt for next season.

I'm sure Dundee United wore the new kit for 2005/06 in the 04/05 Scottish Cup final against Celtic. Didn't really agree with that though, as if they'd won, the shirt would be associated with something that didn't happen the season it was worn.

queensferryjambo
19 minutes ago, Locky said:

I remember this actually. I wasn't at the game, but I do remember us wearing that kit.

Used to be quite common for teams to do this with their new kits, unless teams are changing sponsor or kit maker. 

Haven't seen it much for years now but I did go to a Schalke game where they wore the new shirt for next season.

I think the last time Heart done it we wore the 2013/14 away kit at Pittodrie on the last game of the season 2012/13.

The not so obvious difference is that the shirts had the Clydesdale Bank sleeve patches on them.When we started using the shirts 2013/14 the sleeve badges changed to the SPFL ones.

88DX4KGJ7Dr3YBEGDugCXvY5-paul-reid-angus

2 hours ago, queensferryjambo said:

Haha, great find mate. I bow to your knowledge and investigative abilities.👍🏻 😁

2 hours ago, queensferryjambo said:

A dark chapter in our history.

Салатные палочки
16 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Sorry if it’s been me ruined but did we not wear white against Aberdeen around 1998-99 when they wore black and bear the 4 nil? Maybe Adam and Mcswegan with the goals?

Correct. Sunday tea-time kick off. McSwegan got a hattrick.  We wore that white Olympic strip with the maroon stripes.  

Салатные палочки

There's a game on Back from the Brink where we are wearing all white at home to Stirling Albion.  Looked like a midweek game.  

Pasquale for King
2 minutes ago, Salad Fingers said:

Correct. Sunday tea-time kick off. McSwegan got a hattrick.  We wore that white Olympic strip with the maroon stripes.  

It was a great strip. I can’t find any photos unfortunately and don’t want to bother the good folk at London Hearts. 

AD3B9613-0954-498E-BC9B-AEF13A196EEF.jpeg

6AA5A04B-A6F2-4863-B481-30B452FDB2A3.jpeg

Edited by Pasquale for King

Салатные палочки
4 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

It was a great strip. I can’t find any photos unfortunately and don’t want to bother the good folk at London Hearts. 

AD3B9613-0954-498E-BC9B-AEF13A196EEF.jpeg

6AA5A04B-A6F2-4863-B481-30B452FDB2A3.jpeg

There is highlights on YouTube but I can't find any pictures either.  IIRC Aberdeen had Nigel Pepper sent off after bringing him on as a sub.  

I think JJ wanted to sign Eoin Jess soon after that game.  I don't know why it fell through but it seemed very much 'on' at some point.  

Pasquale for King
6 hours ago, Locky said:

:lol:

Forgot all about that dressing room scuffle. Never saw a lot of Nade after that night I don't think.

I don’t think Black criticised him much afterwards either 😃

Pasquale for King
13 minutes ago, Salad Fingers said:

There is highlights on YouTube but I can't find any pictures either.  IIRC Aberdeen had Nigel Pepper sent off after bringing him on as a sub.  

I think JJ wanted to sign Eoin Jess soon after that game.  I don't know why it fell through but it seemed very much 'on' at some point.  

Didn’t think of looking there ta 👍🏽. Jess was a clever player.

6 hours ago, andythejambo said:

The sports shop in question was Thorntons. My mate had a Saturday job there, and went with the kitman in a taxi back to Tynecastle. The kit was similar to Sunderland, red/white top, black shorts, red socks. 

Cheers, andy.

As I said, first ever game and I was very young (6, approaching 7). Only thing I recall was that we scored early and Dundee equalised late, both at the Gorgie Road end. My dad and I were behind the goal. Only other memory is the glass of flat, draught coke in the Tynie Arms beforehand. 😊

5 hours ago, queensferryjambo said:

I think the last time Heart done it we wore the 2013/14 away kit at Pittodrie on the last game of the season 2012/13.

The not so obvious difference is that the shirts had the Clydesdale Bank sleeve patches on them.When we started using the shirts 2013/14 the sleeve badges changed to the SPFL ones.

88DX4KGJ7Dr3YBEGDugCXvY5-paul-reid-angus

That's a great observation!

Ricardo Shillyshally

Bit of a tangent, but why do we usually wear the away strip v Der Hun in Glasgow, but they wear their home strip i. Edinburgh?

My first game. 

Apparently the ref wasn't happy about Hearts' maroon clashing with Dundee's dark blue and insisted on a change. Neither club had an available alternative so our kitman was sent to a sports shop to get what he could. The red stripes was the best they could offer. 

I don’t remember it being striped - just one red panel on the front, a bit like our “Ajax” number.

That game was preceded by the worst rammies I’ve ever seen in Gorgie. Fecking war zone.

Edited by leginten

14 minutes ago, Ricardo Shillyshally said:

Bit of a tangent, but why do we usually wear the away strip v Der Hun in Glasgow, but they wear their home strip i. Edinburgh?

Valid enough question. I also thought the other day about how Celtic used to always wear away kits at Tynie (throughout the 2000's into the 2010's) but haven't at all for some time now.

Doctor FinnBarr
1 hour ago, leginten said:

I don’t remember it being striped - just one red panel on the front, a bit like our “Ajax” number.

That game was preceded by the worst rammies I’ve ever seen in Gorgie. Fecking war zone.

100% striped mate, big stripes, not candy striped.

1 hour ago, leginten said:

For years I thought it was a maroon candy stripe kit like we had used before and since. Not so. As @andythejamborecalls it was a Sunderland style red and white striped shirt purchased hurriedly from a sports shop. 

Don't remember any aggro that day but I was only 6.

Were you involved, bud? 😂

It's ok. It was 45 years ago and you're amongst friends. Tell us more. 😉

13 hours ago, queensferryjambo said:

We wore the away kit in Henry Smith's testimonial vs Everton.

D845E28E-9D55-4D76-B27E-E646B5EE13A4.jpeg

I think that was JC's comeback debut.

Vaguely remember swithering about attending but John's return sealed it. 

132goals1958

My first game. 

Correct

24 minutes ago, martoon said:

For years I thought it was a maroon candy stripe kit like we had used before and since. Not so. As @andythejamborecalls it was a Sunderland style red and white striped shirt purchased hurriedly from a sports shop. 

Don't remember any aggro that day but I was only 6.

Were you involved, bud? 😂

It's ok. It was 45 years ago and you're amongst friends. Tell us more. 😉

I wasn’t involved. Trying to get away from it, more like. Never seen anything like that in the streets around Gorgie before or since. Running battles. It continued during the match. The Shed was a mess. 27,000 at the match, if my memory isn’t failing me on that score too. 

On 07/04/2020 at 08:11, martoon said:

Anyone remember if we ever wore the silver shirt (1983-86) at Tynecastle? I'm sure we did but I can't remember exactly when. I don't think it was a colour clash issue, more a shop window thing.

No takers for this one. 

I'm certain we did and, if pushed, I'd guess the Remembrance Sunday game we lost to Dundee in 1983. 

6 minutes ago, leginten said:

I wasn’t involved. Trying to get away from it, more like. Never seen anything like that in the streets around Gorgie before or since. Running battles. It continued during the match. The Shed was a mess. 27,000 at the match, if my memory isn’t failing me on that score too. 

It's not. I remember the crowd was huge and checked it out years ago. 👍

Also learned that Cruickie saved a penalty but I have no memory of it, whatsoever. 

Edited by martoon

Seaside jambo
19 minutes ago, leginten said:

I wasn’t involved. Trying to get away from it, more like. Never seen anything like that in the streets around Gorgie before or since. Running battles. It continued during the match. The Shed was a mess. 27,000 at the match, if my memory isn’t failing me on that score too. 

I was at that game 15/16 years old 

there were guys 40/45 years old fighting in the street haymarket was a war zone big mistake by the local constabulary me thinks if I remember the next game at dens was mental 

queensferryjambo
On 07/04/2020 at 20:40, Pasquale for King said:

It was season 1999/2000 McSwegan scored a hattrick in a 3-0 win at Tynecastle. He had scored a hattrick also in a 5-2 win up at Pittodrie on the last game of the season 1998/99.

Here is a picture from the August 1999 game I found a pile of photos but none with an Aberdeen player in them :) Not sure what we wore in the March 2000 match at home against Aberdeen.

HTCF8B.jpg

Pasquale for King
4 minutes ago, queensferryjambo said:

It was season 1999/2000 McSwegan scored a hattrick in a 3-0 win at Tynecastle. He had scored a hattrick also in a 5-2 win up at Pittodrie on the last game of the season 1998/99.

Here is a picture from the August 1999 game I found a pile of photos but none with an Aberdeen player in them :) Not sure what we wore in the March 2000 match at home against Aberdeen.

HTCF8B.jpg

Cheers. Loved that strip. I think we started the season in it up at Pert and win 4:0 4:1,had to sit in the family section as when we got there we realised we needed tickets 🙈. Thankfully a few other had done the same thing and Robinson managed to get them to sell us tickets. 

Surely Hearts at home to Liverpool wearing that beautiful white Adidas shirt is the stand out