The Boys (Not) in Maroon

Locky

Another random daft thread to pass the time, but what games can you recall us not wearing our traditional colours at home?

Only 2 I can think of is Liverpool, and a League Cup game against Arbroath in 2015. Their home kit obviously being maroon, and their away kit was much like this years 3rd kit so we had no choice but to go all white.

Not sure about Liverpool? Surely they would've had a 3rd kit that would've avoided a clash?

All white v Ross County in 13/14, maybe 12/13? Live on tele.  

It was definitely when we had all the laddies in the team.  

Салатные палочки
16 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

Think we wore all white twice.  A 2-2 draw and a 4-2 win (Ngoo might have scored).  RC were wearing all red.  

A Shoreditch Heart

I remember a Scottish cup tie against Dundee in 1975 I think when we wore a pink and white striped top. I'm sure it was a one off and was never seen again - not sure why or the reason it was worn in the first place.

47 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

Yeah, I remember that actually. 4-2 game. Lunch time kick off on the Saturday I'm sure.

51 minutes ago, Ruud Krol said:

we wore dark blue shorts with maroon top against Zeljeznicar

image.jpeg.ed89ebf87ec7577cf318806b222f21de.jpeg

That one popped in my head actually when I posted the thread.

55 minutes ago, One five said:

They wore the tribute strip at home against partick thistle if my memory serves me correctly .

Forgot about that one, although I don't think I was at the game which is why.

That wasn't the game with 'Neilson Out' banner was it?

Edited by Locky

As a wee side thought, and it’s often a neutral colour for goalies, has a Hearts keeper ever wore a green goalie top?  🤢😳

19 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

As a wee side thought, and it’s often a neutral colour for goalies, has a Hearts keeper ever wore a green goalie top?  🤢😳

We had a luminous yellow keeper kit in 09/10, which is probably the closest we'd get.

I remember Celtic having a red one in around 2006 and fans complaining so it got canned. :lol: 

4 minutes ago, Locky said:

We had a luminous yellow keeper kit in 09/10, which is probably the closest we'd get.

I remember Celtic having a red one in around 2006 and fans complaining so it got canned. :lol: 

Im guessing our orange and blue goalie top from 03/04, i think, would have had those in glasgows east end raging 😂

1 minute ago, Mr 3 Putt said:

Im guessing our orange and blue goalie top from 03/04, i think, would have had those in glasgows east end raging 😂

Visions of big Tepi Moilanen in that kit. :lol:

Craig Gordon's debut kit too, but I associate it more with Tepi.

William H. Bonney

Not at tynecastle but we were the home team in the 98 cup final yet wore our away strip. 
I’m sure someone on here will know why. 

43 minutes ago, A Shoreditch Heart said:

I remember a Scottish cup tie against Dundee in 1975 I think when we wore a pink and white striped top. I'm sure it was a one off and was never seen again - not sure why or the reason it was worn in the first place.

I remember it as a Red and White striped but it was a wee while ago.

Also I seem to remember it was because of our terrible record against them at the time and was to remove the "jinx"

37 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

On a similar-ish note, the Hummel 05/06 Home Goalkeeper and 06/07 Change Goalkeeper black shirts were the best ones we've ever had. 

I don't think they sold the 06/07 one in the club store for long, it was just the standard light blue one for sale, unless it was just really limited stock, but I've got one and it's one of my favourite Hearts shirts ever. 

Shame it's a size L boys shirt. Fit me perfectly at the time :lol:

21 minutes ago, Dino Velvet said:

Not at tynecastle but we were the home team in the 98 cup final yet wore our away strip. 

Sure JJ said it was due to the heat and that the white repelled the heat.

Maybe just part of his mindgames to give the players an edge

22 minutes ago, Dino Velvet said:

Was it just because we were sick of getting pumped in finals by Rangers while wearing maroon? :lol: 

I remember us playing Red Star years ago and admittedly we were wearing Maroon but it was a different shade to the strip we used in the league games and i really liked it 

been here before
45 minutes ago, Dino Velvet said:

Because you get **** all in Glasgow wearing a moroon top.

We wore white, we got a penalty.

1 hour ago, Locky said:

Forgot about that one, although I don't think I was at the game which is why.

That wasn't the game with 'Neilson Out' banner was it?

Honestly can’t remember mate possibly though I’m sure someone can remember in here.

2 hours ago, Ruud Krol said:

we wore dark blue shorts with maroon top against Zeljeznicar

image.jpeg.ed89ebf87ec7577cf318806b222f21de.jpeg

Was at that game and for some reason I was really annoyed at the having to wear the blue shorts when we were the home team (were they not our training strip shorts?).

Samuel Camazzola
1 hour ago, rory78 said:

I remember us playing Red Star years ago and admittedly we were wearing Maroon but it was a different shade to the strip we used in the league games and i really liked it 

It was by Pony. I'm sure it was the same one worn in the 1996 League Cup final. 

2 hours ago, Locky said:

Yeah, I remember that actually. 4-2 game. Lunch time kick off on the Saturday I'm sure.

My 70th birthday.  Switched on at 1-2 and nearly switched off again. A fine birthday treat.

58 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Your right they did wear it in that cup final i thought it was a great color 

Midloth_Iain
57 minutes ago, Fraggle said:

Was at that game and for some reason I was really annoyed at the having to wear the blue shorts when we were the home team (were they not our training strip shorts?).

I think Zeljo turned up with one kit only and the ref was insistent that both teams could not wear white shorts, so we agreed to change.

assuming they were from the away kit ..

image.png.c83a4dbe906f2807823ab004bab6dd18.png

55 minutes ago, ibpc said:

My 70th birthday.  Switched on at 1-2 and nearly switched off again. A fine birthday treat.

7 years ago on Monday. Many happy returns when it comes.

5 hours ago, Debut 4 said:

Green in these goalkeeper tops:

On The Terracing: Nicky Walker

New Strip

Edited by Gorgiewave

Just now, Gorgiewave said:

New Strip

I’d give you a thumbs up but.....you know.  😬😁

2 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

I’d give you a thumbs up but.....you know.  😬😁

I'm sure I've seen Hearts players wearing green boots in recent years. Can't think who right now. Rossi?

Bazzas right boot
2 minutes ago, Gorgiewave said:

New Strip

43a924383e3b9375d45597aa4fd516d5.jpg

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, Gorgiewave said:

I'm sure I've seen Hearts players wearing green boots in recent years. Can't think who right now. Rossi?

Aye, it all kicked of on here. 

Another belting thread. 

😂😂

2 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Aye, it all kicked of on here. 

Another belting thread. 

😂😂

I can imagine the corpse-spattered scenes.

Bazzas right boot
11 minutes ago, Gorgiewave said:

I can imagine the corpse-spattered scenes.

😂😂

4 hours ago, Ruud Krol said:

I think Zeljo turned up with one kit only and the ref was insistent that both teams could not wear white shorts, so we agreed to change.

assuming they were from the away kit ..

image.png.c83a4dbe906f2807823ab004bab6dd18.png

👍

Forgot that was our away kit . 

Don't know why but this whole modern rule about not having shorts/socks the same colour really grinds my gears. 

Back to 2005

It used to be that the home team would change when there was a clash of colours. Only in Scotland I think. 

Hectormasson
On 03/04/2020 at 13:45, Samuel Camazzola said:

Very nice shirt, wish er could use that top next time around,  proper maroon .......😍😍😍

Remember celebrating what I thought was an early Hearts goal at Tynie late 70s as I walked into the stadium late. Imagine my horror to discuss only myself and Twin were celebrating an Arbroath goal 🤭

Thankfully a late Tierney strike won the game 3-2. 

Hearts wore our white Umbro strip - an absolute beaut of a strip

SectionDJambo

Hearts used to wear the “candy stripe” strip, at home, on occasion in the late 50s, especially under floodlights, I believe.

We wore a strip of thick maroon and white stripes for the Texaco Cup final against Wolves. It wasn’t a lucky strip. We were beaten 3-1.

As has been mentioned, the home team used to change for a colour clash, rather than the away team. I think this changed towards the late 60s.

We also wore a maroon shaded tartan strip for Neil Berry’s testimonial match.

On 03/04/2020 at 17:06, Gorgiewave said:

Obua wore green boots at least once. A midweek home game v. Hamilton early in Laszlo's tenure. I was in the lower main that night and he took plenty of stick anytime he came near. For the boots and his performance. 

Only other thing I recall is we won 1-0 but there was booing at FT. We took an early lead and defended it for 70/80 minutes. In the second 45 we barely crossed the half way line. 

Edit: iirc Laszlo came out with his "1-0 is the most beautiful/perfect result" quote. 

Strange boy, but I liked him. 

Edited by martoon

On 03/04/2020 at 11:30, A Shoreditch Heart said:

My first game. 

Apparently the ref wasn't happy about Hearts' maroon clashing with Dundee's dark blue and insisted on a change. Neither club had an available alternative so our kitman was sent to a sports shop to get what he could. The red stripes was the best they could offer. 

Anyone remember if we ever wore the silver shirt (1983-86) at Tynecastle? I'm sure we did but I can't remember exactly when. I don't think it was a colour clash issue, more a shop window thing.

On 03/04/2020 at 18:58, Back to 2005 said:

It used to be that the home team would change when there was a clash of colours. Only in Scotland I think. 

Still a rule in Scottish amateur leagues too.

27 minutes ago, martoon said:

Obua wore green boots at least once. A midweek home game v. Hamilton early in Laszlo's tenure. I was in the lower main that night and he took plenty of stick anytime he came near. For the boots and his performance. 

Only other thing I recall is we won 1-0 but there was booing at FT. We took an early lead and defended it for 70/80 minutes. In the second 45 we barely crossed the half way line. 

Edit: iirc Laszlo came out with his "1-0 is the most beautiful/perfect result" quote. 

Strange boy, but I liked him. 

You literally took the words out my mouth. Went to quote that post mentioning Obua too, and how he got pelters. I was lower main that season also, near the corner with the Gorgie Stand. Remember the game you mention too. I was only 15 and was quite happy seeing Accies in the league as it was an unfamiliar face. Remember being quite shocked when I counted about 30-odd fans in the away end. :lol:

Think it was Nade who scored our goal but could be wrong.

11 minutes ago, Locky said:

You literally took the words out my mouth. Went to quote that post mentioning Obua too, and how he got pelters. I was lower main that season also, near the corner with the Gorgie Stand. Remember the game you mention too. I was only 15 and was quite happy seeing Accies in the league as it was an unfamiliar face. Remember being quite shocked when I counted about 30-odd fans in the away end. :lol:

Think it was Nade who scored our goal but could be wrong.

Spot on, Locky. 

Christian made it easy to remember his goals by not scoring them very often. 😁

2 minutes ago, martoon said:

Spot on, Locky. 

Christian made it easy to remember his goals by not scoring them very often. 😁

Easily one of my most frustrating Hearts players. Good finisher, could've been a great player for us.

The big man gave a brutally honest interview a few years back admitting that Hearts was just the right club at the wrong time for him. On a big wage, he confessed he'd go straight to the airport after a match, fly to Paris on a Saturday night, go out on the piss, and fly back first thing on the Monday morning and go to training.

It showed in his performances too. Sluggish and unfit, but still knew how to put the ball in the net from time to time. Could've bagged 15-20 a season though if he was more disciplined.