Football players I've known

hueyview

I know Robbo to talk to, in the pub. Worked with Davie Clunie....great lad...  John colhoun with a relative and several ex hibbies....

Generally speaking good lads...

I knew Andy Kirk when he was playing for us. Stayed at his house in Livi (with our other halves) and went out in his Boxter with him.

Edited by Jammy T

hmfc_liam06

My best mates grandad was cousins with Tommy Walker. Was round the house a fair few times. I had no idea who he was, was too young.

I know it's not Hearts but old man watched 67 European Cup final at neighbours house. Man of house was out at time. He was playing in goal for Celtic... 

8 hours ago, Jammy T said:

I knew Andy Kirk when he was playing for us. Stayed at his house in Livi (with our other halves) and went out in his Boxter with him.

Andy is my neighbour now here in Bathgate. Nice guy. 

Working in Safeway circa 1990's we used to get them all in. Gary Mackay was a regular and was always happy to chat as was Neil McCann. Just after the infamous cup win in '98 the amount of customers and colleagues alike were all (queuing) to chat. Neil was happy to oblige. Jim Hamilton was another one. Not so sure if it will be the same now with so many players who have little knowledge of the meaning of being a Hearts player but 30 tears ago (sorry that was a freudian slip) years ago even most football players would stop for a chat.

Edited by Marvin

gashauskis9

Lived a few doors down from Lee Makel for 4 years.  Miserable *******, always cutting about in a Hibs tracksuit (yes, I know he works for them, but as an ex Jambo living in the same town as big Jim he could have reigned it in at home).

2 hours ago, Marvin said:

Working in Safeway circa 1990's we used to get them all in. Gary Mackay was a regular and was always happy to chat as was Neil McCann. Just after the infamous cup win in '98 the amount of customers and colleagues alike were all (queuing) to chat. Neil was happy to oblige. Jim Hamilton was another one. Not so sure if it will be the same now with so many players who have little knowledge of the meaning of being a Hearts player but 30 tears ago (sorry that was a freudian slip) years ago even most football players would stop for a chat.

I’m intrigued - why was it an “infamous” cup win? I was there and it was really rather good ...

Infamous people or things are well-known because of something bad.

As for me - used to stay a few doors up from Alex Young when I was a nipper in the early 1970s. He’d come back from work and kick wayward passes back to us as we played footie.

I used to speak to John McGlashan (Former Wolves, Dundee, Arbroath...) regularly. If hearts were playing at Dundee he would get me two tickets for me and my dad to go.

Sadly he lost his life two years ago. The attendance at his funeral in Dundee was incredible.

One of the nicest men I’ve ever met.

I would often say hello to Donald Ford at my old place of work, he gave me a notebook that had some of the golf course photography he took in it

Used to work with Kev James. An absolute sweetheart of a guy. The term gentle giant could have been invented for him. Really funny fella too 

Same with Keith Walker who played for Stirling Albion and St Mirren up here and Swansea late 80’s into 90’s. Another really good guy.

Met John Hughes a few times. He’s a friend of a friend kinda thing. Again found him to be sound. (For vermin) 😀

Edited by Jamhammer

Players I know at a half decent level are Darren McGregor Danny Swanson Lee Currie Leigh Griffith's Lee Wallace. Missed 98 cos robbo had tickets but then got dumped off his bird who was a FAM friend just a few days before.

been here before
46 minutes ago, Gashauskis9 said:

Lived a few doors down from Lee Makel for 4 years.  Miserable *******, always cutting about in a Hibs tracksuit (yes, I know he works for them, but as an ex Jambo living in the same town as big Jim he could have reigned it in at home).

Werent the police always round at house?

Once you know one footballer, you end up knowing and meeting loads and loads. It’s a big strange spiders web and everyone is connected via someone. I currently have family connections to Rangers which means I have had the pleasure/displeasure of meeting loads of people through this. 

When I was wee - Alex Cropley.

When I was not quite so wee - Dave Clunie and Jim Cruickshank.

Within the last 20 odd years - Robbo, Big Slim, George Wright.

4 hours ago, LeftBack said:

I know it's not Hearts but old man watched 67 European Cup final at neighbours house. Man of house was out at time. He was playing in goal for Celtic... 

Have you forgotten how good Mr Simpson was?

9 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Have you forgotten how good Mr Simpson was?

Ronnie was a very good friend of my Dad. Used to spend lots of time in his sports shop in Rose Street when I was a nipper.

1 minute ago, merrymac said:

Ronnie was a very good friend of my Dad. Used to spend lots of time in his sports shop in Rose Street when I was a nipper.

Shop was near Scott’s Bar, if I remember correctly, Mac?

1 minute ago, Morgan said:

Shop was near Scott’s Bar, if I remember correctly, Mac?

If I remember correctly it was towards the west end of Rose Street.

Memory not what it was !!!

William H. Bonney

Gary MacKay used to pull the odd shift in the newsagents next to my old primary school. Used to love getting served by him. 
I’ve met a couple of footballers through gamblers anonymous. No names. 

TyphoonJambo
14 minutes ago, Dino Velvet said:

Gary MacKay used to pull the odd shift in the newsagents next to my old primary school. Used to love getting served by him. 

Bet you haven't 😁

1 hour ago, Gilamas said:

I’m intrigued - why was it an “infamous” cup win? I was there and it was really rather good ...

Infamous people or things are well-known because of something bad.

As for me - used to stay a few doors up from Alex Young when I was a nipper in the early 1970s. He’d come back from work and kick wayward passes back to us as we played footie.

I was there too, that was just a poor quality post. The cup win was fecking fantastic where I somehow ended up at a celtic party in Craigshill (don't ask). Posting at 8.00 in the morning I was still rather the worst for wear from the night before. I really should spend more time proof reading my posts.

When I was manager of the Longstone Spar store Gary Mackay would come in for his papers (can't remember which one he bought) and I was over the moon when he mentioned that he remembered me from when he done shopping at Safeway. 

The Real Maroonblood

Used to talk to Jimmy Murray regularly in Tesco.

A fantastic guy. Loved talking about the Hearts

Although his games were restricted because of the Terrible Trio his contribution to the team when he played was phenomenal.

StevenNaismith

My next door neighbour is a current employee of the club although soon to be ex employee of the club. We haven’t spoken for a while...

2 hours ago, Gashauskis9 said:

:)

The Real Maroonblood
4 minutes ago, StevenNaismith said:

My next door neighbour is a current employee of the club although soon to be ex employee of the club. We haven’t spoken for a while...

:laugh:

49 minutes ago, Dino Velvet said:

I forgot about Gary, I seem to remember this dad having a pub just along from me in Morrison street..  

In late 80s went into a club, I think top of Leith/queen street was full of Rangers players...  The souness era characters, the reason I remember was the price for two pints......   Never went back...  :)

I played in the same sides at youth level with quite a few lads that became pros and as mates when we were younger. One played for Celtic, 3 or 4 of them played 1st team for Hibs, two of them for Dundee Utd. Friends with a lad for Uni that just quit Pro/semi pro football in his mid 20's, he played for Dundee Utd and Dunfermline. 

Know a former Raith and Killie player.

Got ****ed up at a party with Paul Sheerin that played for Aberdeen at the time. Vaguely remember that, doubt he will. They obviously don't do a lot of drug testing in Scottish football. 

My mums cousin played for Hibs, a big English side and Scotland. My Uncles Brother played for Hearts many times. 

1 hour ago, merrymac said:

If I remember correctly it was towards the west end of Rose Street.

Memory not what it was !!!

Aye, that’s where Scott’s is!  The first pub on the right hand side of Rose Street, coming from Charlotte Square.

3 minutes ago, Morgan said:

In the middle of our street.

That's just "madness" Morgan. :)

33 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Used to talk to Jimmy Murray regularly in Tesco.

A fantastic guy. Loved talking about the Hearts

Although his games were restricted because of the Terrible Trio his contribution to the team when he played was phenomenal.

JM was my hero, in the day. Met him several times mainly after games. He always had plenty of time for me. A proper humble gent.

Take note today's prima donas

9 minutes ago, hueyview said:

That's just "madness" Morgan. :)

You guys are just showing the genre of music you preferred.

Here's "Mud" in your eyes

The Real Maroonblood
4 minutes ago, TWF said:

JM was my hero, in the day. Met him several times mainly after games. He always had plenty of time for me. A proper humble gent.

Take note today's prima donas

His parting words were always “See you behind the goals.”

23 minutes ago, TWF said:

Very much a "Sparks" lad. 

Just now, Morgan said:

In the middle of our street.

Was trying to explain this thread to missus. But she didn't get it. I said come on. Eileen 

5 minutes ago, LeftBack said:

Was trying to explain this thread to missus. But she didn't get it. I said come on. Eileen 

I suspect we are slightly off thread. Must be too much wine in self isolation

Sadly, I've never really known a footballer personally. When I worked in the city centre though, I used to see a guy all the time who looked the double of Gary Wales, in a suit. Only found out about a year ago, it was in fact Gary Wales. He's an estate agent now. Must be touching 40, and he's still got a total baby face.

Dikamona's wee girls go/went to my sisters' school. One of which is in my youngest sisters class. My mum's seen him come to pick them up, but that's about it.

andyscott82

John Colqhoun makes semi regular trips to my work, always stops for a good blether with me and another big Jambo I work with. He’s an absolute gem of a man. If 14 year old me knew that one of my heroes would know my name and enjoyed a chat i’d never have believed it. 

Also work with an ex pro who’s a big Jambo, never played with us but was at Blackburn and was also on Killie’s books under JJ. 

Best one was getting to serve Robbo his lunch one day when he was playing golf at Glencorse. I was 16 and barely even managed to stutter ‘here’s your sandwich’ because I was so starstruck!

Another random one I just remembered was Gary Mason. Used to see him in his taxi all the time. I said 'alright Gary' when I walked past him once, and from there on, he would often greet me after. Used to toot the horn and give me a wave when he drove past. Never knew the guy personally at all, but I know he's a Jambo, and seemed a genuinely nice fella.

Also had a 5 minute chat with Csaba before a derby once (the 3-1 Stormtrooper game I think) and about a year later in Melville Street, he came over and said hello. Another lovely guy. 

When I was a young lad Alan Gordon used to live across the road from me. I remember he used to have a maroon coloured car I think it was an Austin.

Years later when I worked with one of the Brewery Companies I worked alongside Donald Park, Alex Edwards and Dennis Setterington.

1 hour ago, Morgan said:

Aye, that’s where Scott’s is!  The first pub on the right hand side of Rose Street, coming from Charlotte Square.

Your spot on with your pub locations mate.

Misspent youth eh?😂

1 hour ago, TWF said:

You should be 'slade' for that remark.

9 minutes ago, merrymac said:

Your spot on with your pub locations mate.

Misspent youth eh?😂

More like 'well spent' youth, Mac!

:cheers:

Just now, Morgan said:

More like 'well spent' youth, Mac!

:cheers:

Hope you are still carrying on the tradition Morgan🍺🍷