Football players I've known

hueyview

When I was younger, at lunch times me and my mates used to go to the burger van at Easter Road and talk to some of the Hibs players. Must've been 1999/2000 maybe. 

Stuart Lovell was sound as ****, lovely guy, used to speak to us for ages. 

Russell Latapy used to sit in his silver Astra puffing away on a cig, he was pretty cool with us speaking to him. Sauzee and Ulrik Laursen were total knobs. Pretty ignorant. David Zitelli was a sound guy even if his English was limited. 

:facepalm:

Remember I went to some Hearts event in the Gorgie suite when I was 12/13 with my mate. Hardly anyone there, players were meant to come and meet us but only Juanjo bothered his arse to turn up. He was one of the good ones. Had plenty time for everyone. 

Used to go to Hearts training when Bobby Jenks was Youth Development officer. Big Rousset would come everyweek because his laddie Lucas was there and we'd get to have a few shots at the end of training with big Giles in goal. :rofl:

Jambo in Yorkshire

I used to live opposite Gary Williams who played in Villa’s European Cup winning team, I chat occasionally with David Wetherall who played for Leeds.

I sat next to Gordon Strachan when our sons played at Elland Road in their schools cup final.

gashauskis9
2 hours ago, Locky said:

Sadly, I've never really known a footballer personally. When I worked in the city centre though, I used to see a guy all the time who looked the double of Gary Wales, in a suit. Only found out about a year ago, it was in fact Gary Wales. He's an estate agent now. Must be touching 40, and he's still got a total baby face.

Dikamona's wee girls go/went to my sisters' school. One of which is in my youngest sisters class. My mum's seen him come to pick them up, but that's about it.

Wales is sound as.  I remember being on a night out circa 2003/04 and Wales was out with De Vries, big Paddy and Seve.  We got chatting to them all (big Paddy was a ****ing gent, lovely fella).  

Later in the night, Wales got left on his tod and asked if he could tag along with me and my two mates for a bit.  Most down to earth footballer I’ve ever met.  Oh, and by the way, this was a Sat night and he had scored the winner for Killie that afternoon against, you guessed it, Hibs 😎.

Finlay James

I grew up with Stevie McLean.  He's always been a cracking guy, even for a Hibby.  He used to follow them home and away with his dad but when he signed for Rangers, all that changed and he was a bluenose overnight.  

I used to coach an U-15 team, most of whom were mates with Kevin Thompson.  Kevin had just left Coventry city as he was being bullied there and played with us for a few months before Hibs picked him up and the rest is history.  It makes me laugh that Kev has the reputation as a hard man.  I've know him his whole life and he couldn't fight sleep.  Talks the talk, that's for sure.

My old neighbour was Nick Colgan.  Great guy.

My second cousin is Kenny Miller.  Sound bloke.

I know Jack Collison, ex west ham and now coaching at Peterborough.  Again, top lad.

Im a nurse and I once cared for the mother of an ex Hearts board member.  He was a great guy, hard as **** at five a sides.  Gave me his number and told he if I ever need tickets............

gashauskis9
12 minutes ago, Finlay James said:

I grew up with Stevie McLean.  He's always been a cracking guy, even for a Hibby.  He used to follow them home and away with his dad but when he signed for Rangers, all that changed and he was a bluenose overnight.  

I used to coach an U-15 team, most of whom were mates with Kevin Thompson.  Kevin had just left Coventry city as he was being bullied there and played with us for a few months before Hibs picked him up and the rest is history.  It makes me laugh that Kev has the reputation as a hard man.  I've know him his whole life and he couldn't fight sleep.  Talks the talk, that's for sure.

I know Jack Collison, ex west ham and now coaching at Peterborough.  Again, top lad.

Im a nurse and I once cared for the mother of an ex Hearts board member.  He was a great guy, hard as **** at five a sides.  Gave me his number and told he if I ever need tickets............

Kenny Miller was in the year below me at school.  Really nice guy, so so focused on being a professional footballer.  Didn’t get caught up in the “look at me, I’m a footballer” patter that a lot of others his age/generation seemed to get caught up in.  

Auld Reekin'

I've met and chatted to Lawrence Tierney (remember him? googled him to get his first name spelling right, to find that he'd died in 2011, aged only 52...  :sad: ) and :muggy:.

Lawrie Tierney went out briefly (very wise...) with a girl at my work when he was at Hearts and was very friendly and happy to have a blether. McGhee was a fellow guest at a wedding in Aberdeen during his time in up in shaggerland.

Also had brief chats with Jim Cruikshank and Robbo. I was in the company of Sandy Clark and Jimmy Bone for a while on the first evening of our Bordeaux trip. Chatted to Csaba for 10-15 minutes or so (got a couple of words in edgeways!) when I bumped into him in Edinburgh city centre after he'd managed us.

In general though, I tend not to bother well-known folk I see as I tend to feel that - overall - they'd probably rather be left alone. (Not that I got that feeling from any of the above - they were all OK; McGhee was probably the most stand-offish...)

Enzo Chiefo
4 hours ago, BarneyBattles said:

The only one I really know is John Brough. Used to drink with him in broadfields and last bumped into him in sandy bells in January. 

A total gent and great company. 

Saying that I forgot my dad used to run a boys team with Peter Marinello. They used to come round to the house for a drink occasionally. 

Does he work the door, so to speak, at Heriots??  I'm sure I"ve seen him standing there? Was in goals the day I was a mascot a few 😏 years back

Enzo Chiefo
25 minutes ago, BarneyBattles said:

He does mate. Was blethering to him in Sandy Bells and he was raging at how pish we were playjng😃

Is he a Hearts man Barney?  Sure I read on here that he was a Hibby?!?. Great that he still looks out for how we're getting on though.

Suspect Device
9 hours ago, Jamhammer said:

Used to work with Kev James. An absolute sweetheart of a guy. The term gentle giant could have been invented for him. Really funny fella too 

Same with Keith Walker who played for Stirling Albion and St Mirren up here and Swansea late 80’s into 90’s. Another really good guy.

Met John Hughes a few times. He’s a friend of a friend kinda thing. Again found him to be sound. (For vermin) 😀

Keith (or Sky as he was usually called) is my cousin, joined police after stopping football. Not seen him for ages mind. 

Knew Darren Jackson pretty well, played in same Edinburgh primary select team,  Merchie and St Bernards with him. 

34 minutes ago, Suspect Device said:

Keith (or Sky as he was usually called) is my cousin, joined police after stopping football. Not seen him for ages mind. 

Knew Darren Jackson pretty well, played in same Edinburgh primary select team,  Merchie and St Bernards with him. 

Keith is a top bloke and is revered at Swansea, particularly by the fans but a more down to earth fella You’ll never meet

9 hours ago, Cruyff said:

I played in the same sides at youth level with quite a few lads that became pros and as mates when we were younger. One played for Celtic, 3 or 4 of them played 1st team for Hibs, two of them for Dundee Utd. Friends with a lad for Uni that just quit Pro/semi pro football in his mid 20's, he played for Dundee Utd and Dunfermline. 

Know a former Raith and Killie player.

Got ****ed up at a party with Paul Sheerin that played for Aberdeen at the time. Vaguely remember that, doubt he will. They obviously don't do a lot of drug testing in Scottish football. 

My mums cousin played for Hibs, a big English side and Scotland. My Uncles Brother played for Hearts many times. 

Your uncles brother , any relation to you ?

1 hour ago, johnthomas said:

Your uncles brother , any relation to you ?

No, not any relation to me. I've met him a couple of times though. Good Jambo family, his dad was a massive Jambo as well. Must have been a dream to be such a hardcore Jambo and play for the club, even once. 

7 hours ago, Cruyff said:

No, not any relation to me. I've met him a couple of times though. Good Jambo family, his dad was a massive Jambo as well. Must have been a dream to be such a hardcore Jambo and play for the club, even once. 

So he wasn't your uncle but he was your uncles brother ?

Tom Hardy’s Dug
19 hours ago, Cruyff said:

Got ****ed up at a party with Paul Sheerin that played for Aberdeen at the time. Vaguely remember that, doubt he will. They obviously don't do a lot of drug testing in Scottish football. 

Ooft....same goes for Scottish rugby 🤫

SectionDJambo

When I was a boy growing up in Gorebridge, one of the guys we played football with was Drew Rutherford. He was always a lovely guy, with a great sense of humour.

He went down to Arsenal as a young man, but it didn't work out for him there. He came back up here and played for East Fife when they were in the old first division. He got us tickets for Bayview when Hearts played there, and used to come along and see us, in Gorebridge, to tell us stories of his experiences with referees and other players.

He was transferred to St Johnstone, where he became captain and, I believe, he holds the record for outfield appearances for Saints. He was captain of the St Johnstone team that just beat us for the league title when we got promoted in 1983. 

A guy who was never a big head about his football, he sadly died very young from the scourge of cancer. I'm sure he's remembered by all the guys he kicked a ball about with at Birkenside park, who are still around. 

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, SectionDJambo said:

When I was a boy growing up in Gorebridge, one of the guys we played football with was Drew Rutherford. He was always a lovely guy, with a great sense of humour.

He went down to Arsenal as a young man, but it didn't work out for him there. He came back up here and played for East Fife when they were in the old first division. He got us tickets for Bayview when Hearts played there, and used to come along and see us, in Gorebridge, to tell us stories of his experiences with referees and other players.

He was transferred to St Johnstone, where he became captain and, I believe, he holds the record for outfield appearances for Saints. He was captain of the St Johnstone team that just beat us for the league title when we got promoted in 1983. 

A guy who was never a big head about his football, he sadly died very young from the scourge of cancer. I'm sure he's remembered by all the guys he kicked a ball about with at Birkenside park, who are still around. 

His name certainly rings a bell. 

Sad to hear of his passing particularly at such a young age.

I lived next door to Alex Copley for a few years in the 1990''s.  After a house move near neighbours were Ulrik Lauren an Gary Smith. All of them ex hibbies.

WoolfordsHearts

Always talk to Gary Locke when at the hospitality from playing with and against him as laddies.

Jim Hamilton and Neil McCann were neighbours in Livingston.

Roddy Grant worked with the same company when he was coming to the end of his playing days and was a cracking big guy.

Always loved listening to his football stories and he was PHM to boot.

Ronald Villiers
On 29/03/2020 at 12:51, Jamhammer said:

Used to work with Kev James. An absolute sweetheart of a guy. The term gentle giant could have been invented for him. Really funny fella too 

Same with Keith Walker who played for Stirling Albion and St Mirren up here and Swansea late 80’s into 90’s. Another really good guy.

Met John Hughes a few times. He’s a friend of a friend kinda thing. Again found him to be sound. (For vermin) 😀

I worked with Keith Walker a few years ago aswell, come from the same town as him.  Nice big guy and a Swansea legend.  

Maiden Gorgie

Scott Crabbe, Jimmy Sandison, Gary Mackay and Wayne Foster. Juanjo was my neighour for a bit.

Rudiscoresagain

Roy Kay, Jimmy Cant and Alex Young from the big team. 
Craig Paterson from the wee team. 
Paul Hegarty from Dundee Utd.

Played in same school team as Jimmy & Edinburgh Select with Paul. 

23 hours ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Does he work the door, so to speak, at Heriots??  I'm sure I"ve seen him standing there? Was in goals the day I was a mascot a few 😏 years back

aye hes head jannie at GH . i was starstruck delivering a parcel when i met him a few years back 🤣

also on first name terms with Jason Young  and was lucky enough to meet his father who was my fathers favourite player 

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, cookieboy said:

also on first name terms with Jason Young  and was lucky enough to meet his father who was my fathers favourite player 

Jason was quite a good player.

I’m sure he broke his leg and never really recovered from it.

8 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

he loves telling the story about 1998/9 season when he scored a worldy at Fester Road for Stranraer 

Gary Locke was kind enough to bring my daughter a cake on her 10th  birthday over 20 years ago . He gets what we are all about that's for sure

Had a pint with Rab Prentice on a few occasions,  great guy who loved Hearts as well .

Gary Naysmith was on our bus after the H1b5 cup final and bought the carry out for the journey home ,top man.

I chat to John Colquhoun and Jim Hamilton regularly at work. Both top lads. Call me by my name too :pleased:

Christophe is also a regular but doesn't say much.

Edited by gadgey55

Mr Brightside
8 hours ago, BarneyBattles said:

Don't think you've thought this one through:devilish:

His auntie is related to his mum or dad. She marries someone, he becomes his uncle through marriage. The uncle’s brother is no relation to Cruyff.

4 hours ago, WoolfordsHearts said:

Always talk to Gary Locke when at the hospitality from playing with and against him as laddies.

Jim Hamilton and Neil McCann were neighbours in Livingston.

Roddy Grant worked with the same company when he was coming to the end of his playing days and was a cracking big guy.

Always loved listening to his football stories and he was PHM to boot.

Feck!  Roddy Grant!

The cousin of one of my first (and one of my favourite) girlfriends.

Thanks for reminding me.

1 hour ago, BarneyBattles said:

Which was my point exactly😂

Being a country boy I would think that person was also an uncle . There again we were very close , in the village 

For a period of time, enjoyed a few pints on Sunday nights at the leamington hotel in Bruntsfield with Eric Carruthers.

Never quite lived up to his promise.

Mr Brightside
11 hours ago, BarneyBattles said:

Which was my point exactly😂

Got you, meant to quote the person you quoted 🤦🏻‍♂️

Grew up a couple of doors along from Kevin Hegarty and his younger brother Paul (Dundee Utd & Scotland) in Juniper Green. 

We would play football in the park most nights, and although they were both younger than most of us, Paul more so, it was obvious they were in a different class to everyone else.

Still see Kevin around Corstorphine and their sister is good friends with my wife.

ford donald
14 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Yes,broke his thigh.

The Old Tolbooth
On 29/03/2020 at 19:06, Finlay James said:

You're probably related to David (Dusty) Miller from Gala too then mate, he chats away to Kenny Miller as his cousing on Facebook a bit I notice. 

I went to school with John Collins, he's actually not that bad a guy to speak to, but he's tighter than a ducks arse! I also used to work as the mortgage adviser out of an accountants office in Uphall, and big Mixu used to come in to get his books done, that was always good banter, he's a sound guy, and Darren Jackson would also come in as well, he came across as sound as well, I'm sure Stuart Lovell went there too but could be getting mixed up with someone else, but if it was him, he was a cracking bloke. I used to rip big Mixu about Hibs a lot, all he ever came back with was laughter and mentioning the 6-2 game, I used to tell him it doesn't count as Hearts fans boycotted it and he would tell me to piss off whilst laughing :lol: 

chester copperpot

Grew up pretty good pals with Jackie MacNamara and Peter Cormack (jnr)

I currently work with a Hearts legend and we've become good mates. He is absolutely bonkers and made a wee video for my best man which went down a riot at my wedding. Top top bloke.

N Lincs Jambo

Never really knew any footballers in Scotland although I did used to see Wayne Foster and Neil Berry drink in The Oak a bit during the 80s.

Going back a bit Tommy Preston of Hibs was someone who would always be up for a blether with my parents at Longniddry GC in the 70s. I had no idea who he was or about his goals against Barcelona until many years later but he was a real gent.

Lived in France for a year from 84 to 85 and my best mate was a guy called Jean-Luc Garde. He had a younger brother called Remi who was still a teenager at the time. He was in crutches all the time I knew him due to a cruciate ligament injury and we often went to the cinema together.

He went on to play for Lyon, Strasbourg, Arsenal and France (made his debut against England with big Gilles) and was Arsene Wenger’s first signing for Arsenal along with Patrick Viera. An absolute gem of a guy who was on a hiding to nothing when he took the Villa job on.

The Real Maroonblood
10 hours ago, Kiwidoug said:

For a period of time, enjoyed a few pints on Sunday nights at the leamington hotel in Bruntsfield with Eric Carruthers.

Never quite lived up to his promise.

He was a legend in his own mind.

Robbo-Jambo
2 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

He was a legend in his own mind.

Bit of a waster tbh.