Jump to content

Holiday/flight cancellations and refunds ( title updated )


Section Q
 Share

Recommended Posts

Malinga the Swinga
1 hour ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

 

Yip, we've flew with Jet2 several times and there are always plenty of staff there to help if needed, can't fault them.

Jet 2 are undoubtedly the best travel company in UK at the moment. Perhaps it's because they realise that treating staff and customers like humans will ensure staff stay and customers come back, year after year.

BA could learn a lot from them but they choose not to.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • OBE

    177

  • graygo

    173

  • Samuel Camazzola

    119

  • Jambo-Jimbo

    206

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Harry Potter
2 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

 

I think many people, certainly the TUI flights which tend to be package holidays, booked months ago, maybe even booked last year.

 

We've just booked a hotel in Lisbon for next June, the flights aren't even out for our dates yet, but the hotel we wanted was available so we just booked it to make sure we've got it, I'll book the flights when they come out in a few months time.  So that's an example that we will book easyjet flights about 8 months before we travel, we are not alone in doing this.  Hopefully there won't be any problems next year.

Heres hoping JJ, enjoy your holidays when they come.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

BA are a mess at the moment.

Our Boston - London - Edinburgh flight last week....

17 hour delay from Boston...poor communcation to passengers what was happening.

They rebooked us on connecting flight to Edinburgh which was taking off when we were landing in london.

Only guaranteed seats they could offer us to EDI was 36 hours later.

Ended up getting our bags in London (2 hour wait), getting a cab to Kings Cross and getting a train to EDI.

Found out the 'guaranteed flight' next day was also cancelled....so no idea when we would have got a flight back up.  Have checked and they're cancelling 50% of all EDI/LHR flights at the moment.

 

Cabin crew on the Boston/London flight were saying the comms to them was a shambles.

 

Not surprised to see them cutting more flights....just can't handle things and not the BA I used to fly with.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nucky Thompson

Arrived at Newcastle airport at 6.15am last Monday for my 8.30am flight.

Walked straight up to Jet2 bag drop and through security within minutes.

I couldn't believe how quiet it was.

Had a pint in my hand by 6.30am :biggrin2:

 

Arrived  back on the ground yesterday at 3.20pm and was back in my car for 4.05pm

What a difference from the Edinburgh airport chaos in May

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Arrived at Newcastle airport at 6.15am last Monday for my 8.30am flight.

Walked straight up to Jet2 bag drop and through security within minutes.

I couldn't believe how quiet it was.

Had a pint in my hand by 6.30am :biggrin2:

 

Arrived  back on the ground yesterday at 3.20pm and was back in my car for 4.05pm

What a difference from the Edinburgh airport chaos in May

 

Might have something to do with Edinburgh being the 6th busiest airport in the UK and Newcastle being the 10 busiest...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nucky Thompson
2 minutes ago, OBE said:

 

Might have something to do with Edinburgh being the 6th busiest airport in the UK and Newcastle being the 10 busiest...

All the more reason that Edinburgh airport should have put their staff on furlough instead of sacking them.

It's the busiest airports that are struggling the most just now

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Jambo-Jimbo
35 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

All the more reason that Edinburgh airport should have put their staff on furlough instead of sacking them.

It's the busiest airports that are struggling the most just now

 

 

That's a question that needs to be asked and not just about Edinburgh airport but other airports and the airlines.

 Why did they sack so many people when the money was available to furlough them instead, indeed wasn't that the whole purpose of the furlough scheme.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Edinburgh Airport as ever not letting me down on arrival. On arrival at our destination we were through passport control, luggage collected and in the taxi on route to the hotel within 30 mins of wheels touching the runway. 
 

Edinburgh arrival, passport scanner wouldn’t work so had to join the queue for the manual check being served by the 1 open desk. Moderate wait gave me some hope that our bags wouldn’t be far behind us. Another full hour wait before the first bag started to come through. 🙄

 

I hate arriving at Edinburgh. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Jambo-Jimbo

Sky News carried out research into the airlines & airports.

 

Gatwick came out as the worst for cancellations with Glasgow in second place & Edinburgh being in 6th place, which came as a surprise to me as it's Edinburgh we only seem to hear about in the media, not much mention of Glasgow, yet they are way way worse than Edinburgh according to this Sky News report.

 

BA was the worst British airline followed by Easyjet for the number of cancellations.

 

And the UK was equal with Germany as the worst European country for the total number of cancellations.

 

https://news.sky.com/story/revealed-the-airports-airlines-and-countries-with-the-most-cancellations-this-year-12650091

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

joondalupjambo
On 12/07/2022 at 16:40, Nucky Thompson said:

All the more reason that Edinburgh airport should have put their staff on furlough instead of sacking them.

It's the busiest airports that are struggling the most just now

 

Was there not an issue that a large number of Edinburgh airport staff were on zero hour contracts and therefore not suitable for qualifying for the furlough scheme?  So perhaps not sacked as such, would that be something that was in the mix?  Whatever the employer using zero hour contracts in a situation where staff are key is now a case of what goes round comes round.

Edited by joondalupjambo
Link to comment
Share on other sites

conn artist
1 hour ago, Dazo said:

Edinburgh Airport as ever not letting me down on arrival. On arrival at our destination we were through passport control, luggage collected and in the taxi on route to the hotel within 30 mins of wheels touching the runway. 
 

Edinburgh arrival, passport scanner wouldn’t work so had to join the queue for the manual check being served by the 1 open desk. Moderate wait gave me some hope that our bags wouldn’t be far behind us. Another full hour wait before the first bag started to come through. 🙄

 

I hate arriving at Edinburgh. 

We had heard issues like yours but we landed from Venice at lunch time. Sailed through passport control (5 desks open as well as self scan), got our bags no problem at all. Seems very hit or miss.

 

Venice passport control 10 days ago on arrival was a shambles.

Edited by conn artist
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, conn artist said:

We had heard issues like yours but we landed from Venice at lunch time. Sailed through passport control (5 desks open as well as self scan), got our bags no problem at all. Seems very hit or miss.


Doesn’t seem to matter where we arrive from, unless it’s a domestic arrival it’s an issue waiting for bags. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Jambo-Jimbo
3 minutes ago, conn artist said:

We had heard issues like yours but we landed from Venice at lunch time. Sailed through passport control (5 desks open as well as self scan), got our bags no problem at all. Seems very hit or miss.

 

Venice passport control 10 days ago on arrival was a shambles.

 

Departures were a shambles back in 2017, by far the worst we've ever experienced, queues were all the way back into the duty free shop, doesn't sound that much has improved since we were there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

conn artist
4 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

 

Departures were a shambles back in 2017, by far the worst we've ever experienced, queues were all the way back into the duty free shop, doesn't sound that much has improved since we were there.

 

Leaving wasn't so nice a few weeks ago admittedly. Terminal rammed, security chaotic but ticked along.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

 

Anybody recognize any of these bags? 

Seemingly bags are people's missing luggage being stored at a warehouse near Edinburgh Airport, except they're not missing, as they are sitting right there. Edinburgh Airport has suspended it's helpline due to staff abuse.

image.jpeg.b62ee06125da23412f145e51390d7a19.jpeg

 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-62190489

I retrieved one from there today - that went missing on journey back here last weekend (delayed due to cancelled flights…twice). This warehouse is for Swissport who handle luggage for some airlines.

 

Decided to go into the airport to try to track down someone from Menzies Aviation who handle luggage from others airlines, which covered out outbound journey. When eventually managed to speak to someone helpful, was told they have a warehouse elsewhere which houses hundreds of bags - public cannot access. My bag was lost 23 days ago - apparently sent back to Edinburgh a week past Friday. Now just have to continue to wait for it to be delivered.

 

With delays/cancellations and missing luggage both ways, looking forward to a decent compensation/insurance payout.

 

An utter shambles. 

Edited by Peebo
Link to comment
Share on other sites

theshed
1 hour ago, Peebo said:

I retrieved one from there today - that went missing on journey back here last weekend (delayed due to cancelled flights…twice). This warehouse is for Swissport who handle luggage for some airlines.

 

Decided to go into the airport to try to track down someone from Menzies Aviation who handle luggage from others airlines, which covered out outbound journey. When eventually managed to speak to someone helpful, was told they have a warehouse elsewhere which houses hundreds of bags - public cannot access. My bag was lost 23 days ago - apparently sent back to Edinburgh a week past Friday. Now just have to continue to wait for it to be delivered.

 

With delays/cancellations and missing luggage both ways, looking forward to a decent compensation/insurance payout.

 

An utter shambles. 


How long do you have to wait on your luggage before you just say, stuff this and claim money from your insurance to replace lose of clothes ect 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, theshed said:


How long do you have to wait on your luggage before you just say, stuff this and claim money from your insurance to replace lose of clothes ect 

Something I asked my insurance company today! In normal times, BA consider a case “lost” after 21 days - that timing is all out the window now.

 

Coverage for baggage delays kicks in after a few hours and all depends on your insurance as to what you could potentially claim back - could be a few hundred quid, maybe more. If case is truly lost, limit goes up a lot (again, depends on insurance).

Edited by Peebo
Link to comment
Share on other sites

theshed
20 minutes ago, Peebo said:

Something I asked my insurance company today! In normal times, BA consider a case “lost” after 21 days - that timing is all out the window now.

 

Coverage for baggage delays kicks in after a few hours and all depends on your insurance as to what you could potentially claim back - could be a few hundred quid, maybe more. If case is truly lost, limit goes up a lot (again, depends on insurance).


Im away to America but not till sept and flying with BA so reading all this doesn’t give me confidence my bag will arrive back in Edinburgh as I come back via London. 
 

Will make sure my baggage is covered for 2k or something like that 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, theshed said:


Im away to America but not till sept and flying with BA so reading all this doesn’t give me confidence my bag will arrive back in Edinburgh as I come back via London. 
 

Will make sure my baggage is covered for 2k or something like that 

Good luck…would like to think BA will have their shit together by then. Can’t be much worse that they are at moment. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Stewie Griffin
2 hours ago, theshed said:


Im away to America but not till sept and flying with BA so reading all this doesn’t give me confidence my bag will arrive back in Edinburgh as I come back via London. 
 

Will make sure my baggage is covered for 2k or something like that 


I used to travel a lot for work using various airlines twice I had my luggage not turn up at the other end both times it was with BA. still gives me anxiety to this day even going on a family holiday that my suitcase won’t be on the baggage reclaim belt 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Jambo-Jimbo
15 hours ago, Peebo said:

I retrieved one from there today - that went missing on journey back here last weekend (delayed due to cancelled flights…twice). This warehouse is for Swissport who handle luggage for some airlines.

 

Decided to go into the airport to try to track down someone from Menzies Aviation who handle luggage from others airlines, which covered out outbound journey. When eventually managed to speak to someone helpful, was told they have a warehouse elsewhere which houses hundreds of bags - public cannot access. My bag was lost 23 days ago - apparently sent back to Edinburgh a week past Friday. Now just have to continue to wait for it to be delivered.

 

With delays/cancellations and missing luggage both ways, looking forward to a decent compensation/insurance payout.

 

An utter shambles. 

 

This is just one handler (Swissport) at one airport, I wouldn't be shocked in the least to learn that this situation is being repeated at other airports up and down the country.  This must be costing them all a small fortune.

 

At least you know where your bag is now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Harry Potter
23 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

 

Anybody recognize any of these bags? 

Seemingly bags are people's missing luggage being stored at a warehouse near Edinburgh Airport, except they're not missing, as they are sitting right there. Edinburgh Airport has suspended it's helpline due to staff abuse.

image.jpeg.b62ee06125da23412f145e51390d7a19.jpeg

 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-62190489

What a farcical carry on, companies taking folks money but not supplying a service. Disgrace.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

highlandjambo3
On 14/07/2022 at 16:19, Dazo said:


Doesn’t seem to matter where we arrive from, unless it’s a domestic arrival it’s an issue waiting for bags. 

I don’t care how painful it is………..the mrs and I have been travelling for about 10 years now with just cabin sized bags…..works fine for me…..I tend to buy those wick away type of tops and trousers so rinsing and drying them is a breeze.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nucky Thompson

If anyone is heading to Spain soon, they are not checking vaccine passports, they are barely looking at regular passports.

 

I got a paper copy of my vaccine passport sent, but I forgot to take it with me.

I was shitting myself incase my app didn't work because my phone couldn't get a signal, but they never checked a single person

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Nucky Thompson said:

If anyone is heading to Spain soon, they are not checking vaccine passports, they are barely looking at regular passports.

 

I got a paper copy of my vaccine passport sent, but I forgot to take it with me.

I was shitting myself incase my app didn't work because my phone couldn't get a signal, but they never checked a single person

 

Take a screen-shot if there's a next time, can then access with or without signal or save to files and highlight off-line access ability...:thumb:

Edited by OBE
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ray Gin
14 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Edinburgh Airport & Swissport getting slaughtered........again.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-62227219

 

 

 

I'm getting sorely tempted not to bother using the 20kg hold luggage I've paid for and just travel as light as possible using the cabin luggage. It'll be a stretch for 6 days but at least there's a washing machine in the apartment.

 

Can't be arsed with that carry on waiting hours for my stuff, assuming they don't completely lose it.

 

Edited by Ray Gin
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 17/07/2022 at 17:23, highlandjambo3 said:

I don’t care how painful it is………..the mrs and I have been travelling for about 10 years now with just cabin sized bags…..works fine for me…..I tend to buy those wick away type of tops and trousers so rinsing and drying them is a breeze.


I wish we could travel like that but we wouldn’t fit her shoes in a carry on bag never mind all the other ‘essential’ shit she needs to pack. It’s definitely the way to go though if you can manage it. unfortunately even a weekend away we book a checkin bag also. 🙄

 

31 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

 

 

I'm getting sorely tempted not to bother using the 20kg hold luggage I've paid for and just travel as light as possible using the cabin luggage. It'll be a stretch for 6 days but at least there's a washing machine in the apartment.

 

Can't be arsed with that carry on waiting hours for my stuff, assuming they don't completely lose it.

 


To be fair you’ve had your holiday by then so I’d probably leave my bags if it involved hours of waiting. Pack anything of real value in a carry on. You surely don’t want to be doing washing on holiday ? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

 

 

I'm getting sorely tempted not to bother using the 20kg hold luggage I've paid for and just travel as light as possible using the cabin luggage. It'll be a stretch for 6 days but at least there's a washing machine in the apartment.

 

Can't be arsed with that carry on waiting hours for my stuff, assuming they don't completely lose it.

 

 

3 pair O pants, 1 on, 1 drying and 1 still in the drawer smelling like scented violets...😄

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nookie Bear
15 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Edinburgh Airport & Swissport getting slaughtered........again.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-62227219

 

 

Was fine when we came back from Spain last week. Waited around 30 mins for luggage but otherwise sailed through everything.

 

We got the bus (400) home as it stops near us so no idea what the taxi queue was like.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Jambo-Jimbo
57 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

 

 

I'm getting sorely tempted not to bother using the 20kg hold luggage I've paid for and just travel as light as possible using the cabin luggage. It'll be a stretch for 6 days but at least there's a washing machine in the apartment.

 

Can't be arsed with that carry on waiting hours for my stuff, assuming they don't completely lose it.

 

 

On our recent trip to Madrid, we had a hold bag included in the deal we got, and Mrs JJ was looking forward to all the 'essential' items she could take, you know those 'essential' items, that don't get worn or used.

 

She eventually seen sense and we ended up with just a cabin bag and didn't bother about a hold bag, mind we were only away for 3 days, so we didn't need a hold bag to begin with.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Jambo-Jimbo

I heard Simon Calder mention something about new rules coming into force for travelling to the EU, including something about fingerprints.

Anyway there is indeed new rules coming into force, later this year seemingly.

https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/news/eu-to-launch-biometric-entry-exit-system-in-a-few-months/

 

https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/entry-exit-system-ees/

 

https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/Entry-Exit-System-EES.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Lord BJ
34 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

I heard Simon Calder mention something about new rules coming into force for travelling to the EU, including something about fingerprints.

Anyway there is indeed new rules coming into force, later this year seemingly.

https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/news/eu-to-launch-biometric-entry-exit-system-in-a-few-months/

 

https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/entry-exit-system-ees/

 

https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/Entry-Exit-System-EES.jpg


This will impact a lot of people who have properties in EU, who have managed to ignore the 90day in 6month restriction. Sone more realities of brexit to about hit home. 
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Lufthansa ground crew are on strike today, leading to the cancellation of around about 1000 flights with almost no Lufthansa flights leaving Frankfurt & Munich airports.  Just more travel woes around Europe.

https://www.reuters.com/business/aerospace-defense/lufthansa-ground-staff-start-walkout-germany-pay-dispute-2022-07-27/


****ing Tories*
 

*can be substituted with brexit. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Jambo-Jimbo
10 minutes ago, Dazo said:


****ing Tories*
 

*can be substituted with brexit. 

 

Brexit, covid or the tories, has to be one of them to blame. :laugh:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
Stewie Griffin

Flew into Edinburgh earlier today around 14:30 with Ryanair and have to admit after what I’d seen and read I was expecting it to be a bit of a shambles however I was really surprised by how quick we were off the plane through security and had our luggage, seemed to only take 15 to 20 mins at most. Not sure if it’s the airport finally upping their game or if we just got really lucky.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Departures at Heathrow T3 two weeks ago was very well organised but security was a two hour unbelievably long zig-zag queue on two floors. It moved at a constant zombie like pace but at least it moved. Must have been murder for older people or those with younger kids. 
Departures in Florida took 15 minutes to get through security, quicker than usual. 
Arrivals at Heathrow was a breeze, luggage arrived before most people had got to carrousel.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

highlandjambo3
13 hours ago, Stewie Griffin said:

Flew into Edinburgh earlier today around 14:30 with Ryanair and have to admit after what I’d seen and read I was expecting it to be a bit of a shambles however I was really surprised by how quick we were off the plane through security and had our luggage, seemed to only take 15 to 20 mins at most. Not sure if it’s the airport finally upping their game or if we just got really lucky.

I think we’ve all seen the shambles recently on the news, mainly due to a shortage of baggage handlers/ground staff they let go (zero hours contracts/redundancies who’ve found better jobs etc) but, I’m sure behind the scenes they are desperate to get this sorted.

Edited by highlandjambo3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Shanks said no

Does anyone know how Easyjet are responding if the customer has to change flights and destination? We booked flights to the Canaries and its likely we won't be able to go. I'm guessing we will need to take a hit but as next summers flights aren't on sale yet I haven't tried yet.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share




×
×
  • Create New...