Holiday/flight cancellations and refunds ( title updated )

Section Q

Hopefully this puts people off flying for good. 

Far too many think it nothing to just hop on a plane and go away for the weekend 6-7 times a year.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jambo-Jimbo

• OBE

• graygo

• Samuel Camazzola

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, cheetah said:

Far too many think it nothing to just hop on a plane and go away for the weekend 6-7 times a year.

It's medicinal !

If I don't get my Italian jollies I'm grumpy all year !

il Duce McTarkin
18 minutes ago, Boab said:

It's medicinal !

If I don't get my Italian jollies I'm grumpy all year !

Basically murdering the planet.

Worse than Putin imo.

Angry Haggis
29 minutes ago, cheetah said:

This. 

I have zero sympathy for those moaning about travel woes. If you choose to do it, expect disruption. In fact if you choose to do it - your part of the problem. Stop being part of the problem. 

2 minutes ago, Angry Haggis said:

This. 

I have zero sympathy for those moaning about travel woes. If you choose to do it, expect disruption. In fact if you choose to do it - your part of the problem. Stop being part of the problem. 

Does that noble outlook apply to car drivers as well?

47 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Grant Shapps blaming the airlines doesn't explain why most of the delays and some of the cancellations are outwith the airlines control but due to a lack of ground crew, baggage handlers, security staff and problems at air traffic control, none of which has anything to do with the airlines. 

Tbh I'd take whatever Grant Shapps says with a huge pinch of salt, imo he's just trying to shift any and all blame onto the airlines and trying to distance the government from any sort of blame whatsoever.

Now it's true that the airports & airlines got rid of way too many staff at the start of the pandemic and that's all coming back to bite them big time now.

If I had time which I don't as I'm off to the dentist soon, I could give you a few examples of delays and a cancellation just in the last week or two which had nothing whatsoever to do with the airlines.

Better Comms from the airlines to the airport ancillary Dpts then. Hello, this is Jet2f**k, can you cope with 168 passengers to and from Corfu, Dept Embra 1 Aug @ 13:00 and Arr back 8th Aug @ 11:30, aye or naw? If it's naw, the seats dinnae get selt...👍

7 minutes ago, Angry Haggis said:

This. 

Ordering a burger remotely from McDonalds, you pay, you pitch up and find not enough staff to process your order...am I part of the problem...?

AlimOzturk
48 minutes ago, cheetah said:

17 minutes ago, Angry Haggis said:

This. 

If people pay for a service and the service fails them then they aren’t to blame. All this blaming Joe public instead of these rich institutions and government failings never ceases. 

🙈🤦‍♂️

Bull's-eye

I fly quite regular and you could see this coming a mile away. The facilities at Edinburgh have been aweful since re-opening and the ground crew have been diabolical for years pre-covid anyway. Gatwick was superb to start with after re-opening but slowly but surely has gone back to its terrible ways. My last flight was home after the Cup final and we sat on stand at Gatwick after landing for 45 minutes. No ground crew to unload the plane.

It's not one dept. causing issues, it's everything. Total shambles and I've grounded myself for the time being because of it.

Edited by Bull's-eye

joondalupjambo

Why did the airlines not furlough the staff or were they on poor contracts that did not allow it?  Why did so many leave and decided not to come back?  EU workers left because we did not want them so they have not come back?  Low pay not an attractive proposition for many so vacancies so no uptake.  Airlines will would be thinking of shareholders fitst, as do most companies and make decisions based on what is best for them however this time round the business has not thought it all through properly, wanting fast short term gain rather than a longer term re-establishment of the business post Covid.  Retirements and redundancy probably also in the mix.  A perfect storm.

Two things Schapps blaming the airlines maybe partly true but the B word cannot come into this otherwise it kicks back on the Government.

Also I always think that people have to take some responsibility in cases like this.  It is a post Brexit and post Covid storm, we all knew things were going to hurt.  Many people on this site said they would stay away from overseas trips for a couple of years.  Smart.  Others who have jumped right in need to reflect because surely the wring was on the wall.

3 hours ago, Angry Haggis said:

This. 

What about if I travel regularly and don't moan ?

Delay ? Quick pint...or two !

Gate problem ? Read a book !

Luggage ? Erm...what's that ?

😎

2 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

If people pay for a service and the service fails them then they aren’t to blame. All this blaming Joe public instead of these rich institutions and government failings never ceases. 

🙈🤦‍♂️

Agreed. 

Jambo-Jimbo
2 hours ago, joondalupjambo said:

Why did the airlines not furlough the staff or were they on poor contracts that did not allow it?  Why did so many leave and decided not to come back?  EU workers left because we did not want them so they have not come back?  Low pay not an attractive proposition for many so vacancies so no uptake.  Airlines will would be thinking of shareholders fitst, as do most companies and make decisions based on what is best for them however this time round the business has not thought it all through properly, wanting fast short term gain rather than a longer term re-establishment of the business post Covid.  Retirements and redundancy probably also in the mix.  A perfect storm.

Two things Schapps blaming the airlines maybe partly true but the B word cannot come into this otherwise it kicks back on the Government.

Also I always think that people have to take some responsibility in cases like this.  It is a post Brexit and post Covid storm, we all knew things were going to hurt.  Many people on this site said they would stay away from overseas trips for a couple of years.  Smart.  Others who have jumped right in need to reflect because surely the wring was on the wall.

1) They did furlough the staff, well most of them, but also made thousands redundant even although furlough money was available.  The airports did exactly the same thing.  Basically they shat it and panicked.

2) For some it'll be the same as other industries found out, that being on furlough gave people the chance of finding a better job, that will account for some, others will have been made redundant and have found other work. Often once outside of an industry many don't want to go back in.

3) I don't think EU workers have had much of an impact on the current situation, you have to remember Ireland & the Netherlands are also having similar problems that the UK is having.

joondalupjambo
19 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

3) I don't think EU workers have had much of an impact on the current situation, you have to remember Ireland & the Netherlands are also having similar problems that the UK is having.

Interesting issue.  The Jet2 guy was just the minute on the Been news saying that Brexit had taken out hundreds, thousands if not millions.  No idea what his rationale there, thousands from the UK maybe but millions, do not think so.  

I guess the point it that it has added to the staffing woes to some degree here.  As to how much of an impact only the various airlines will know and some might not want to use the B word for political reasons, i.e. the cash they got in bundles.

Jambo-Jimbo
17 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

Interesting issue.  The Jet2 guy was just the minute on the Been news saying that Brexit had taken out hundreds, thousands if not millions.  No idea what his rationale there, thousands from the UK maybe but millions, do not think so.  

I guess the point it that it has added to the staffing woes to some degree here.  As to how much of an impact only the various airlines will know and some might not want to use the B word for political reasons, i.e. the cash they got in bundles.

The simple fact is that there is not one single issue that's at fault here, there are many and have all added up to create a perfect storm.

The airlines & the airports for getting rid of too many staff right at the start, the government for chopping and changing the travel rules on a near daily basis, meaning how could the airlines & the airports plan staffing levels, I'm not sure what the rules were for repeatedly taking staff off furlough and putting them back on a week or two later, then there's brexit & covid thown into the mix and you get one big fat shit fest.

joondalupjambo
47 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

The simple fact is that there is not one single issue that's at fault here, there are many and have all added up to create a perfect storm.

The airlines & the airports for getting rid of too many staff right at the start, the government for chopping and changing the travel rules on a near daily basis, meaning how could the airlines & the airports plan staffing levels, I'm not sure what the rules were for repeatedly taking staff off furlough and putting them back on a week or two later, then there's brexit & covid thown into the mix and you get one big fat shit fest.

Yeah agree there are going to be fallouts in numerous sectors including the public ones.  Think we just need to buckle up.   Some folk will be able to handle the next wee while, others will not but one thing is for sure the media will milk it for all it is worth.

Mate at the airport says it’s been chaos behind the scenes there in the last week or so. No international flights are going out on time, some sitting loaded on the tarmac for up to 3 hours before they get a slot from ATC. The two biggest budget airlines are living on the absolute edge of breakdown with empty planes being moved all over the country and Europe to pick up flights.

300 people almost left abandoned in Turkey 2 nights ago had a Edinburgh crew not volunteered last minute to do the 2 way trip with a plane brought up from Gatwick

Summer holidays this year are going to be catastrophic for many people.

Edited by JimmyCant

On 31/05/2022 at 17:32, joondalupjambo said:

Flew to Paris last Monday on Air France, hand luggage and breezed through security in around 10 minutes.  Down stairs however carnage.  Cheap holiday carriers check in q's mobbed.  If you are going to a place hot and sunny why do folk need so many clothes😀😀

Came back last night and a painful, although short time experience in passport control.  Five electronic gates all closed and no segregation of passport holders so whole flight in one q.  Why is there no lane for UK passport holders, is that usual?  Had to stand with Johnny Foreigner and get stuck waiting for them to explain to customs guy why they were staying for a month😀😀

Guy says electronic gates nae working, passenger says why not, guy says dinnae ken I am only directing things in this area. Posh bloke says go and find out why they are not working, speak to your manager and get them working.  Aye ok.  Comes back, that is them sorted, two working three still broken, people start to use the two, the two do not work and he directs all the folk to the back of the q again.  I love this country 😀😀

I travel through Edinburgh regularly and the passport control has been a disgrace since January. The automatic scanners not working, delays at baggage handling as well. The upgrade is terrible too. Can't believe they spent money for an arrivals hall with only 2 baggage carousels.

I am flying back tomorrow and am dreading the worst tbh

Jambo-Jimbo
6 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

Mate at the airport says it’s been chaos behind the scenes there in the last week or so. No international flights are going out on time, some sitting loaded on the tarmac for up to 3 hours before they get a slot from ATC. The two biggest budget airlines are living on the absolute edge of breakdown with empty planes being moved all over the country and Europe to pick up flights.

300 people almost left abandoned in Turkey 2 nights ago had a Edinburgh crew not volunteered last minute to do the 2 way trip with a plane brought up from Gatwick

And that's yet another thing to throw into the mix, when because of delays which usually aren't anything to do with the airline, the flight crew run out of flying hours. This is what happened last week with a Tui flight from Manchester, they were delayed and delayed and then eventually the flight crew ran out of flying hours and the flight was cancelled.  Of course the likes of Grant Shapps says that they had oversold the holiday and shouldn't have sold the tickets in the first place.

Just the other week Miss JJ was due to fly 4 sectors (4 flights) but because of long delay's on the first 2 the crew would have been over their permitted flight hours on the return journey of the 4th flight, so couldn't fly the 3rd & 4th flight and had to get a standby crew in.  That's all fine and well when you have a standby crew available, if not then the flight gets cancelled.

Miss JJ was on standby the other day and got called in to do a flight to Spain and an internal flight, yesterday she was also on standby but wasn't needed.  That's the nature of when you are on standby, sometimes you are needed, sometimes not. 

3 hours ago, jambo89 said:

I travel through Edinburgh regularly and the passport control has been a disgrace since January. The automatic scanners not working, delays at baggage handling as well. The upgrade is terrible too. Can't believe they spent money for an arrivals hall with only 2 baggage carousels.

I am flying back tomorrow and am dreading the worst tbh

Since January ? Edinburgh airport arrival experience is by far the worst of any airport I’ve visited. Security and baggage issues have been constant for as long as I can remember. 

5 minutes ago, Dazo said:

Since January ? Edinburgh airport arrival experience is by far the worst of any airport I’ve visited. Security and baggage issues have been constant for as long as I can remember. 

I’ve flown in twice recently with no abnormal baggage or passport control issues. If taking 45 minutes to pick up a bag and have a document checked is acceptable to you (it’s not really but it’s the norm) you’ll not usually wait longer than that. 

1 hour ago, Dazo said:

I was more specifically talking about the automated passport scanners that haven't been working sonce january. But yes, security has never been great there, but is a lot worse recently imo

2 minutes ago, jambo89 said:

I was more specifically talking about the automated passport scanners that haven't been working sonce january. But yes, security has never been great there, but is a lot worse recently imo

they were working at edinburgh airport in february when i went through it

Maybe just my luck then. They weren't working in January, February, April and assuming they won't be working when I return tomorrow as per the original post I quoted

Was in Tenerife in January and had no problems at all but I suppose it’s very quiet in January compared to now.

Away to Madrid next weekend but only taking a small rucksack so hopefully security check isn’t that bad 

Oh and hopefully flight isn’t cancelled 

maroongoals
13 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

the bit in blue is true we were on that flight, other flights were being cancelled with the Dalaman airport mobbed

joondalupjambo
4 hours ago, theshed said:

Was in Tenerife in January and had no problems at all but I suppose it’s very quiet in January compared to now.

Away to Madrid next weekend but only taking a small rucksack so hopefully security check isn’t that bad 

Oh and hopefully flight isn’t cancelled 

Small Rucsack you Minger😀😀😀

Disposable Paper pants and two tee shirts, well done 😀😀😀

11 hours ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Off to Malaga in September from Glasgow…….hope it’s ok by then.

Doubt it, place is a shithole.

Oh wait, you meant the airport not Glasgow.

(I don't really think Glasgow is a shithole, well not all of it)

Edited by graygo

Am I right in saying I don’t need to fill in locator form for Spain anymore? 

Away to Spain this weekend, got a paper copy of my vaccination and guessing this is all I need 🤷‍♀️

Malinga the Swinga

Jet2 advertising they haven't cancelled single flight during current crisis.

Might be worthwhile booking with them if you are shopping around.

Nucky Thompson
6 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Jet2 advertising they haven't cancelled single flight during current crisis.

Might be worthwhile booking with them if you are shopping around.

Just had a holiday to Corfu with Jet2 and there was no delays both ways.

The only wee inconvenience was that you were only limited to one drinks service because of supply issues.

Going with Jet2 again in July to Ibiza 

Malinga the Swinga
24 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Just had a holiday to Corfu with Jet2 and there was no delays both ways.

The only wee inconvenience was that you were only limited to one drinks service because of supply issues.

Going with Jet2 again in July to Ibiza 

My last few holidays abroad were all with Jet2 and they delivered what they promised. Good hotels in Canaries and Turkey and staff always helpful.

Cairneyhill Jambo
On 08/06/2022 at 19:52, theshed said:

Am I right in saying I don’t need to fill in locator form for Spain anymore? 

Away to Spain this weekend, got a paper copy of my vaccination and guessing this is all I need 🤷‍♀️

Yeah. You only need to fill in a locator form if you're over 12 and using a negative test certificate to enter. You don't need to do it if you have proof of vaccination. 

What’s the decent amount of time to arrive at the airport? 2 hours before flight or best allowing for a wee bit more nowadays.

Years since I have flown - absolutely years 🤦‍♂️

Just now, PTBCAL said:

What’s the decent amount of time to arrive at the airport? 2 hours before flight or best allowing for a wee bit more nowadays.

depends on if you are checking luggage

Footballfirst
19 minutes ago, PTBCAL said:

I'm currently in Amsterdam with the other half. Flew out on Friday with easyJet. They recommended arriving at Edinburgh airport 2 hours before the flight. We only had hand luggage, so avoided check-in and sailed through security without delay. Flight was on time and there were no delays getting through Schiphol.

Coming back tomorrow, but this time easyJet has advised arriving 3 hours before the flight. Hopefully it will be as smooth as going out.

Nucky Thompson
2 hours ago, PTBCAL said:

The manager from Edinburgh airport was on the news last week and said the problem was that everyone was going to the airport far too early before their flights.

He said if everyone stuck to the 2 hours then there would be no problems with crowds 

1 hour ago, Nucky Thompson said:

The manager from Edinburgh airport was on the news last week and said the problem was that everyone was going to the airport far too early before their flights.

He said if everyone stuck to the 2 hours then there would be no problems with crowds 

Thanks makes sense 

3 hours ago, milky_26 said:

depends on if you are checking luggage

I will be - daughter has more shoes than Imelda Marcos 🙁

3 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

I'm currently in Amsterdam with the other half. Flew out on Friday with easyJet. They recommended arriving at Edinburgh airport 2 hours before the flight. We only had hand luggage, so avoided check-in and sailed through security without delay. Flight was on time and there were no delays getting through Schiphol.

Coming back tomorrow, but this time easyJet has advised arriving 3 hours before the flight. Hopefully it will be as smooth as going out.

Thanks FF

Did you take Mrs FF to a few youth games whilst in holiday 🙂

The Mighty Thor
1 hour ago, Nucky Thompson said:

I'm in Italy right now. RyanAir sent us an email telling us to be at the airport 3 hours before 🤷‍♂️

We breezed through in 10 minutes and were half pished when our 40 minute delayed flight finally went 🤔

3 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

A friend flew back from Amsterdam a couple of weeks back, received the same advice but faced no delays. All it meant was more time hanging around the glorified shopping centre that Schiphol is. Fingers crossed for you.   

43 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

I'm in Italy right now. RyanAir sent us an email telling us to be at the airport 3 hours before 🤷‍♂️

We breezed through in 10 minutes and were half pished when our 40 minute delayed flight finally went 🤔

Sounds like they done you a favour.

Footballfirst
14 hours ago, PTBCAL said:

Thanks FF

Did you take Mrs FF to a few youth games whilst in holiday 🙂

No, but there was an Aberdeen U11 squad on my flight heading to a tournament in the Netherlands. 😆

Footballfirst
13 hours ago, henryheart said:

A friend flew back from Amsterdam a couple of weeks back, received the same advice but faced no delays. All it meant was more time hanging around the glorified shopping centre that Schiphol is. Fingers crossed for you.   

Arrived the 3 hours in advance of my flight back. The queue for security zig-zagged on the lower floor before extending upstairs to join the normal queue. 

All in all it took an hour and five minutes to get air-side through security and passport control. All the scanners were manned but their system appeared to break down for about 10 minutes with no-one moving.

Not a great experience but in line with my expectations. My flight back will probably be around 20 minutes late going by the flightradar tracking of the incoming flight.