Jump to content

Holiday/flight cancellations and refunds ( title updated )


Recommended Posts

davemclaren
56 minutes ago, Jeff said:

 

You'd have probably gotten that 120 back but yeah the offices must be getting absolutely hammered.

Insurance policies have an excess generally so maybe not. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Jambo-Jimbo

    126

  • OBE

    112

  • Samuel Camazzola

    107

  • davemclaren

    105

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Jambo-Jimbo
9 hours ago, annushorribilis III said:

I was supposed to pay the £1k balance on 26 March  for holiday in early June (Fuerteventura). I tried to discuss with Jet2 but couldn't get through on phone so cancelled. Lost £120 deposit but not bothered - there just didn't seem any likelihood of getting  a holiday any time soon and little point in paying out another £1k just  to have to get it back via travel insurance when I'd likely be worse off.

 

Most likely going to do the same.

My balance is due at the end of April for early July (Lanzarote) with Jet2, there is 3 of us going so £180 deposit, which if we cancel I'm prepared to lose, which is looking more and more likely.

 

On the subject of insurance, we don't get insurance until about a week before we go, certainly don't buy insurance as part of the package, as I have pre-existing medical conditions I have to get insurance tailored to me, which tends to cost more, significantly more if I took it as part of a package.

At the start of last week I did a comparison check, just to see what they were charging.

If I took insurance out at the end of June covering for the two weeks away, for a decent policy it was £35+ that was just for me.

If I took out insurance now (last week) the exact same policy was costing me £388, with a £90 excess.

Even an annual policy was costing over £200.

 

So it makes no sense for me to take out insurance now costing £388 to then claim back £180 minus the £90 excess, it would actually mean I'd be £298 down.

Everybody will have different circumstances but for me insurance is too expensive to take out for longer periods, that is why I take it out just before we go.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Ainsley Harriott

I think the key thing to getting a refund is not cancelling yourself but waiting on your holiday company to cancel first then they are obliged to refund.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Jambo-Jimbo
On 15/03/2020 at 08:24, Jambo-Jimbo said:

 

As of an hour ago her flight was still on, she's cabin crew, so whilst the flight for outbound passengers may well have been suspended, the flight will still go down to Valencia empty to pick up passengers to bring them back to the UK, a so called rescue flight.

 

Update:

 

Flight took off from Gatwick to Valencia 40 minutes ago (08:20am), a handful of passengers on board and most probably are all people returning home to Valencia or the surrounding area, flight back to UK is expected to be busier as it's bringing people back home to the UK.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

 

Most likely going to do the same.

My balance is due at the end of April for early July (Lanzarote) with Jet2, there is 3 of us going so £180 deposit, which if we cancel I'm prepared to lose, which is looking more and more likely.

 

On the subject of insurance, we don't get insurance until about a week before we go, certainly don't buy insurance as part of the package, as I have pre-existing medical conditions I have to get insurance tailored to me, which tends to cost more, significantly more if I took it as part of a package.

At the start of last week I did a comparison check, just to see what they were charging.

If I took insurance out at the end of June covering for the two weeks away, for a decent policy it was £35+ that was just for me.

If I took out insurance now (last week) the exact same policy was costing me £388, with a £90 excess.

Even an annual policy was costing over £200.

 

So it makes no sense for me to take out insurance now costing £388 to then claim back £180 minus the £90 excess, it would actually mean I'd be £298 down.

Everybody will have different circumstances but for me insurance is too expensive to take out for longer periods, that is why I take it out just before we go.

 

 

 

I'm not sure I get what you are saying. In theory you should take out your 2 weeks cover as soon as you book the holiday so £35 for you. Makes no sense to wait till just before you go, apart from anything else you run the risk of adding to your pre-existing conditions.

Link to post
Share on other sites
hughesie27
50 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

 

Most likely going to do the same.

My balance is due at the end of April for early July (Lanzarote) with Jet2, there is 3 of us going so £180 deposit, which if we cancel I'm prepared to lose, which is looking more and more likely.

 

On the subject of insurance, we don't get insurance until about a week before we go, certainly don't buy insurance as part of the package, as I have pre-existing medical conditions I have to get insurance tailored to me, which tends to cost more, significantly more if I took it as part of a package.

At the start of last week I did a comparison check, just to see what they were charging.

If I took insurance out at the end of June covering for the two weeks away, for a decent policy it was £35+ that was just for me.

If I took out insurance now (last week) the exact same policy was costing me £388, with a £90 excess.

Even an annual policy was costing over £200.

 

So it makes no sense for me to take out insurance now costing £388 to then claim back £180 minus the £90 excess, it would actually mean I'd be £298 down.

Everybody will have different circumstances but for me insurance is too expensive to take out for longer periods, that is why I take it out just before we go.

 

 

Am I reading this right? You realise that when you buy insurance you input the dates of the holiday. That will then also cover you for any cancellations between now and the end of the holiday. 

 

To me it sounds like you are telling them you are going to Lanzarote for the next 3 months!

Link to post
Share on other sites
annushorribilis III
1 hour ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

I think the key thing to getting a refund is not cancelling yourself but waiting on your holiday company to cancel first then they are obliged to refund.

In principle , yes, if you have paid the full balance  obviously. I don't see the point in paying £1K for a holiday which there is every chance of not getting anytime soon ie paying it now just to get it refunded (potentially) in 10 weeks time.  I wanted to discuss possible options with Jet2 (actually doesn't matter when we go as we can go outside of school holidays ) but it wasn't possible. Again, though, paying another £1K out for a holiday I might not get for another 6  months seemed pointless. Although the missus has raised the spectre of a "staycation" and I don't fancy that at all. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Jambo-Jimbo
18 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Am I reading this right? You realise that when you buy insurance you input the dates of the holiday. That will then also cover you for any cancellations between now and the end of the holiday. 

 

To me it sounds like you are telling them you are going to Lanzarote for the next 3 months!

 

When I tried to do this before it said that I am not covered until the date's of the actual holiday, I take that as meaning if I took out insurance today I am not covered until the actual dates of the holiday as per the terms of the insurance.

 

In other words it makes no difference whether I take out the insurance today or a week before because I'm only covered for the dates I'm actually away, and nothing beforehand.

 

That is my understanding, unless I've been reading the terms completly wrong, which is entirely possible.

Link to post
Share on other sites
hughesie27
Just now, Jambo-Jimbo said:

 

When I tried to do this before it said that I am not covered until the date's of the actual holiday, I take that as meaning if I took out insurance today I am not covered until the actual dates of the holiday as per the terms of the insurance.

 

In other words it makes no difference whether I take out the insurance today or a week before because I'm only covered for the dates I'm actually away, and nothing beforehand.

 

That is my understanding, unless I've been reading the terms completly wrong, which is entirely possible.

That may well be the case for your specific circumstances. Perhaps try it again for the dates of the holiday and get 1 quote with your health details accurate and then another with health details of those of a "healthy" person. See if you get any different warnings or messages.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Ainsley Harriott
12 minutes ago, annushorribilis III said:

In principle , yes, if you have paid the full balance  obviously. I don't see the point in paying £1K for a holiday which there is every chance of not getting anytime soon ie paying it now just to get it refunded (potentially) in 10 weeks time.  I wanted to discuss possible options with Jet2 (actually doesn't matter when we go as we can go outside of school holidays ) but it wasn't possible. Again, though, paying another £1K out for a holiday I might not get for another 6  months seemed pointless. Although the missus has raised the spectre of a "staycation" and I don't fancy that at all. 

Yes it's bad enough having to work from home with the Mrs in the house never mind taking my holidays at home to.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

 

When I tried to do this before it said that I am not covered until the date's of the actual holiday, I take that as meaning if I took out insurance today I am not covered until the actual dates of the holiday as per the terms of the insurance.

 

In other words it makes no difference whether I take out the insurance today or a week before because I'm only covered for the dates I'm actually away, and nothing beforehand.

 

That is my understanding, unless I've been reading the terms completly wrong, which is entirely possible.

 I had a holiday booked for October last year but had to cancel as the mother in law passed away the week before we were due to leave.

If I had left the insurance till the day before we left then I wouldn't have been covered for cancellation. Fortunately I didn't and was refunded the full amount.

 

https://www.essentialtravel.co.uk/magazine/q-and-a/advance-travel-insurance-booking.html

Edited by graygo
Link to post
Share on other sites
Jambo-Jimbo
8 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

That may well be the case for your specific circumstances. Perhaps try it again for the dates of the holiday and get 1 quote with your health details accurate and then another with health details of those of a "healthy" person. See if you get any different warnings or messages.

 

 

 

Don't think it'll make much of a difference now, because last week it was reported that most of the major insurers have inserted a Covid-19 clause into their insurance and were not paying out for Covid-19 related claims or cancellations

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/travel-insurance-coronavirus-what-to-do-if-covid-19-spoils-your-holiday-plans-k60lkzj62

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Jambo-Jimbo

That's BA, Easyjet & Ryanair saying that they are all grounding most of their aircraft in the coming days.

 

There is going to be limited air travel in the coming weeks.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

 

Don't think it'll make much of a difference now, because last week it was reported that most of the major insurers have inserted a Covid-19 clause into their insurance and were not paying out for Covid-19 related claims or cancellations

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/travel-insurance-coronavirus-what-to-do-if-covid-19-spoils-your-holiday-plans-k60lkzj62

 

 

Which is exactly why you should have taken out insurance when you booked the holiday. You would have been covered for Covid-19.

Link to post
Share on other sites
luckydug
1 hour ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

That's BA, Easyjet & Ryanair saying that they are all grounding most of their aircraft in the coming days.

 

There is going to be limited air travel in the coming weeks.

You're scaring the shit out of me now 🙄

We are due home from Fuerteventura on Saturday. 

Surely they are not going to leave us stranded. 

Booked with Travel Republic package holiday Ryanair flights part of the package. 

Wife has epilepsy and I have

Type 1diabetes and HPB tablets. 

We have enough medication for an extra week after that we would need help. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Ray Gin
3 minutes ago, luckydug said:

You're scaring the shit out of me now 🙄

We are due home from Fuerteventura on Saturday. 

Surely they are not going to leave us stranded. 

Booked with Travel Republic package holiday Ryanair flights part of the package. 

Wife has epilepsy and I have

Type 1diabetes and HPB tablets. 

We have enough medication for an extra week after that we would need help. 

 

Would be getting on to Travel Republic and Ryanair ASAP.

 

My parents have had to get booked on a rescue flight home from the canaries and cut their holiday 5 days short.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Jambo-Jimbo
5 minutes ago, luckydug said:

You're scaring the shit out of me now 🙄

We are due home from Fuerteventura on Saturday. 

Surely they are not going to leave us stranded. 

Booked with Travel Republic package holiday Ryanair flights part of the package. 

Wife has epilepsy and I have

Type 1diabetes and HPB tablets. 

We have enough medication for an extra week after that we would need help. 

 

It's phased over the next 7 to 10 days for Ryanair, you'll probably get back on the same day and time that you were meant to, that's why it's phased over a period of time.

 

Don't worry nobody will be stranded anywhere.

 

Edited by Jambo-Jimbo
Link to post
Share on other sites
Jambo-Jimbo
1 hour ago, graygo said:

 

Which is exactly why you should have taken out insurance when you booked the holiday. You would have been covered for Covid-19.

 

Well I didn't, so if we end up cancelling it, we'll lose our deposit, no big deal tbh.

Link to post
Share on other sites
luckydug
23 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

 

Would be getting on to Travel Republic and Ryanair ASAP.

 

My parents have had to get booked on a rescue flight home from the canaries and cut their holiday 5 days short.

 

Ryanair are asking people not to phone them and that passengers will be notified by e mail about arrangements. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Jambo-Jimbo
1 minute ago, luckydug said:

Ryanair are asking people not to phone them and that passengers will be notified by e mail about arrangements. 

 

 

I can imagine the phone lines will be red hot, best to wait on Ryanair contacting you as they'll tell you what the next step is.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Sooperstar
2 minutes ago, luckydug said:

Ryanair are asking people not to phone them and that passengers will be notified by e mail about arrangements. 

 

Heard a guy on the radio this morning talking about his flight home. Saying last he heard 2 days ago was that the fight would be going ahead as planned but that he couldn't get through for another update. Why would you need another update?! If anything changes you will find out!

Link to post
Share on other sites

 A travel insurance policy bought in January for travel in August will cover standard issues leading up to and obviously including a holiday.

Edited by Old Blue Eyes
Link to post
Share on other sites
luckydug
Just now, Sooperstar said:

Heard a guy on the radio this morning talking about his flight home. Saying last he heard 2 days ago was that the fight would be going ahead as planned but that he couldn't get through for another update. Why would you need another update?! If anything changes you will find out!

I was replying to the poster urging me to contact my travel company. 

He was saying his parents came home on a rescue flight and cut their holiday short. 

We are very comfortable here it's a lovely 4 star hotel I'm not interested in being 'rescued'. If it wasnt for the medication issues and who's paying for the extended stay in the hotel I wouldn't mind I'm retired anyway. This island is probably about the safest place to be at the moment. Last I heard they only had one case of the virus and that was someone who had returned from Italy. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

We were due to go to Seville on Wed and obviously that's cancelled. We had decided that ourselves last week but there was no benefit to actually "cancel" in advance and it was such a rapidly changing situation we were just waiting to see how it played out.


Easyjet refund was really simple via online and Manage Your Bookings, the option to rebook or cancel was automatically there.
We'd booked accommodation via AirBnB. Cancelled that and got 100% refund inlcuding booking fees, again managed online.

 

So much simpler than I had expected and pretty well managed from both Easyjet and AirBnB

Link to post
Share on other sites
Jambo-Jimbo

Virgin Atlantic is the latest airline to ground flights, 75% by the end of the month.

 

They have also asked staff to take 8 weeks unpaid leave over the next 3 months, which will basically mean getting paid slightly over 1 weeks wages to last a month, for the next 3 months.

 

I would expect BA, Easyjet etc to be doing similar, I'll find out later what they are doing. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Jambo-Jimbo

Hearing Air France/KLM are cancelling 95% of their flights & Finnair 90%.

I'd imagine the likes of Lufthansa etc etc will all be doing similar.

 

Very few planes will be flying over the next few months.

 

Grim times, and not just for the airlines, but the airports, baggage handlers, the shops & the staff in the airports and all the suppliers of food to the airport & aircraft, thousands and thousands of jobs at severe risk.

 

It's going to be like this in a lot of other industries as well.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Hugh Phamism

I was supposed to be going on a business trip to California next week. Obviously I can't now travel, but United airlines have not yet cancelled their flights out of the UK. They have offered a postponement and re-booking, but no cash refunds, only travel credits. I am hoping they will actually cancel the EDI flights so that I can get a full refund. I also have 2 more trips already booked in April & July and have over $6K (of the companies money) tied up in United bookings at the moment. 

 

I regularly spend over $12K per year with United airlines on business travel and do have an annual travel insurance policy. I also used credit cards to make the bookings, so hopefully it should work out alright in the end.

 

Stay safe peeps.

Link to post
Share on other sites
highlandjambo3

Not meaning you offend anyone so don’t take this personally but, why are people on holiday so surprised that they have been caught up in this when they chose to go in the first place , it’s like coronavirus is a thing on the news but if we change the channel it will go away.  There was a guy live on one of the breakfast channels who had just arrived back home winging about not having his bags at the airport, his flight being late and chaos at the check in, when the tv presenter asked him why he went in the face of this outbreak he said he’d been saving up and was entitled to take his holiday (cracking response eh).

 

Maybe as a society we are over protected, we can’t watch the news without the presenters saying “some viewers may be upset by the following footage” etc........we can hardly deal with no phone signal, fires and floods everywhere but nowt to do with us.....ffs......what a bunch of wet weekends.

 

P.S to be clear, I’m not talking about deciding to go on holiday when it was booked months ago.......I’m talking about jetting off over the last week or so thinking this won’t effect them.

Edited by highlandjambo3
Link to post
Share on other sites
The Real Maroonblood
3 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Virgin Atlantic is the latest airline to ground flights, 75% by the end of the month.

 

They have also asked staff to take 8 weeks unpaid leave over the next 3 months, which will basically mean getting paid slightly over 1 weeks wages to last a month, for the next 3 months.

 

I would expect BA, Easyjet etc to be doing similar, I'll find out later what they are doing. 

Virgin Atlantic with assets of nearly £2 billion.

Arseholes.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Salad Fingers
46 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Not meaning you offend anyone so don’t take this personally but, why are people on holiday so surprised that they have been caught up in this when they chose to go in the first place , it’s like coronavirus is a thing on the news but if we change the channel it will go away.  There was a guy live on one of the breakfast channels who had just arrived back home winging about not having his bags at the airport, his flight being late and chaos at the check in, when the tv presenter asked him why he went in the face of this outbreak he said he’d been saving up and was entitled to take his holiday (cracking response eh).

 

Maybe as a society we are over protected, we can’t watch the news without the presenters saying “some viewers may be upset by the following footage” etc........we can hardly deal with no phone signal, fires and floods everywhere but nowt to do with us.....ffs......what a bunch of wet weekends.

 

P.S to be clear, I’m not talking about deciding to go on holiday when it was booked months ago.......I’m talking about jetting off over the last week or so thinking this won’t effect them.

 

There was a guy on at the weekend complaining about Jet2 allowing passengers to board planes bound for Spain and them then turning back half way.  I'm quite sure if the pilots and ground staff knew that they would be turning back half way they would waste tonnes of fuel flying doing so.  Some people just want to blame someone else when really, it's no ones fault.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
Jambo-Jimbo
4 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Virgin Atlantic with assets of nearly £2 billion.

Arseholes.

 

Easyjet have told their staff that things are dire in the industry right now, advance bookings have fallen off a cliff to use a pun, anyway Easyjet are operating a number of rescue flights over the next week or so and only after then they will have to look at things again.

 

My daughter was on a 'rescue flight' to Valencia this morning, 22 passengers on the outbound flight, plane was almost full on the flight back to Gatwick.

The 20 odd passengers were probably residents of Valencia or the surrounding area who were returning back home, I wouldn't imagine any would be tourists.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Countries, airlines and the F&CO can all decide to pull the plug on foreign travel. 2/3 weeks ago, not one of them advised against foreign travel, maybe that's why many were comfortable jetting off.

 

Scratching ma heid over your PS bit. Holidays will have been booked months ago and have been taken in the last fortnight.

Link to post
Share on other sites
The Real Maroonblood
8 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

 

Easyjet have told their staff that things are dire in the industry right now, advance bookings have fallen off a cliff to use a pun, anyway Easyjet are operating a number of rescue flights over the next week or so and only after then they will have to look at things again.

 

My daughter was on a 'rescue flight' to Valencia this morning, 22 passengers on the outbound flight, plane was almost full on the flight back to Gatwick.

The 20 odd passengers were probably residents of Valencia or the surrounding area who were returning back home, I wouldn't imagine any would be tourists.

 

Good luck to her and her colleagues.

The airline industry will certainly need it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Jambo-Jimbo
12 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Good luck to her and her colleagues.

The airline industry will certainly need it.

 

Both her and her partner work in the airline industry, she with Easyjet and her partner is a first officer with BA.

Fortunately they do have savings, they were saving for a house deposit, that money might well have to be used now to survive day by day, if both are laid-off which is most probably likely now.

Link to post
Share on other sites
highlandjambo3
2 hours ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Not meaning you offend anyone so don’t take this personally but, why are people on holiday so surprised that they have been caught up in this when they chose to go in the first place , it’s like coronavirus is a thing on the news but if we change the channel it will go away.  There was a guy live on one of the breakfast channels who had just arrived back home winging about not having his bags at the airport, his flight being late and chaos at the check in, when the tv presenter asked him why he went in the face of this outbreak he said he’d been saving up and was entitled to take his holiday (cracking response eh).

 

Maybe as a society we are over protected, we can’t watch the news without the presenters saying “some viewers may be upset by the following footage” etc........we can hardly deal with no phone signal, fires and floods everywhere but nowt to do with us.....ffs......what a bunch of wet weekends.

 

P.S to be clear, I’m not talking about deciding to go on holiday when it was booked months ago.......I’m talking about jetting off over the last week or so thinking this won’t effect them.

See the point I’m making (or trying to)..........

 

the two weegie women on STV news just now who arrived in Benidorm yesterday being interviewed, they were told to go into lockdown in their hotel by the local police......winging about the restaurants and bars being closed......both looked totally stunned and no clue what’s going to happen etc........ I mean ffs, did they expect this to just pass them by.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Sooperstar
5 hours ago, luckydug said:

I was replying to the poster urging me to contact my travel company. 

He was saying his parents came home on a rescue flight and cut their holiday short. 

We are very comfortable here it's a lovely 4 star hotel I'm not interested in being 'rescued'. If it wasnt for the medication issues and who's paying for the extended stay in the hotel I wouldn't mind I'm retired anyway. This island is probably about the safest place to be at the moment. Last I heard they only had one case of the virus and that was someone who had returned from Italy. 

I wasn't aiming it at you! It was a general point about all the dafties trying to contact these airlines when they have already been given an update.

Link to post
Share on other sites
CavySlaveJambo
1 hour ago, highlandjambo3 said:

See the point I’m making (or trying to)..........

 

the two weegie women on STV news just now who arrived in Benidorm yesterday being interviewed, they were told to go into lockdown in their hotel by the local police......winging about the restaurants and bars being closed......both looked totally stunned and no clue what’s going to happen etc........ I mean ffs, did they expect this to just pass them by.

I managed to get home from Spain yesterday and their were plenty of people on the inbound flight who looked like tourists.  Me and a friend in Spain are calling them idiots. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ryanair update, flight change fee now removed for all April flights, O'Leary still not cancelling though.

Link to post
Share on other sites
hughesie27
7 minutes ago, Old Blue Eyes said:

Ryanair update, flight change fee now removed for all April flights, O'Leary still not cancelling though.

Aye and they've trebled the prices of flights in some cases!

Link to post
Share on other sites
highlandjambo3
16 minutes ago, CavySlaveJambo said:

I managed to get home from Spain yesterday and their were plenty of people on the inbound flight who looked like tourists.  Me and a friend in Spain are calling them idiots. 

Exactly.....I mean if you had a holiday to Spain you booked two months ago that left tomorrow, would you go?

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Aye and they've trebled the prices of flights in some cases!

 

That should be a criminal offence.

Link to post
Share on other sites
CavySlaveJambo
29 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Exactly.....I mean if you had a holiday to Spain you booked two months ago that left tomorrow, would you go?

To be in lockdown. No. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
luckydug
5 hours ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Not meaning you offend anyone so don’t take this personally but, why are people on holiday so surprised that they have been caught up in this when they chose to go in the first place , it’s like coronavirus is a thing on the news but if we change the channel it will go away.  There was a guy live on one of the breakfast channels who had just arrived back home winging about not having his bags at the airport, his flight being late and chaos at the check in, when the tv presenter asked him why he went in the face of this outbreak he said he’d been saving up and was entitled to take his holiday (cracking response eh).

 

Maybe as a society we are over protected, we can’t watch the news without the presenters saying “some viewers may be upset by the following footage” etc........we can hardly deal with no phone signal, fires and floods everywhere but nowt to do with us.....ffs......what a bunch of wet weekends.

 

P.S to be clear, I’m not talking about deciding to go on holiday when it was booked months ago.......I’m talking about jetting off over the last week or so thinking this won’t effect them.

I booked and paid months ago. 

Took advice and told to go on holiday and that no refunds or insurance would be paid if people cancelled before government advice was given not to travel. 

Even the travel experts on the TV were telling people not to worry and just go. 

It's taken everyone by surprise the speed of events. 

Not sure if I'm supposed to be offended by your comments but you are right it's no one's fault, sometimes things just happen. 

We are not due home until Saturday so have not actually been inconvenienced yet, apart from not being allowed out the hotel. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Tommy Brown
1 hour ago, CavySlaveJambo said:

I managed to get home from Spain yesterday and their were plenty of people on the inbound flight who looked like tourists.  Me and a friend in Spain are calling them idiots. 

Are they?

Not a great holiday.

Could end up nice a relaxing in sun, they may have plenty spare cash. If the do the protocols, better doing it in the sun.

 

My brother in a week into a month away, he's getting by ok.

Link to post
Share on other sites
ecjambo

Our Jet2 holiday is being refunded within next 28 days. Actually feel for them a bit, and some other airlines, and hope they don’t go under at the end of all of this.

Link to post
Share on other sites
davemclaren
1 hour ago, Tommy Brown said:

Are they?

Not a great holiday.

Could end up nice a relaxing in sun, they may have plenty spare cash. If the do the protocols, better doing it in the sun.

 

My brother in a week into a month away, he's getting by ok.

My mate moved to Spain for three months last week. He is in lockdown now but sitting in the garden in the sun with a Rioja beats siitting in his house in Manchester. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Cairneyhill Jambo
4 hours ago, luckydug said:

I booked and paid months ago. 

Took advice and told to go on holiday and that no refunds or insurance would be paid if people cancelled before government advice was given not to travel. 

Even the travel experts on the TV were telling people not to worry and just go. 

It's taken everyone by surprise the speed of events. 

Not sure if I'm supposed to be offended by your comments but you are right it's no one's fault, sometimes things just happen. 

We are not due home until Saturday so have not actually been inconvenienced yet, apart from not being allowed out the hotel. 

Totally agree with this. We flew out to Lanzarote last Thursday morning and at that point, there were no recorded instances of anyone testing positive on the island. Two cases were reported later that day and things escalated very quickly on mainland Spain. On Saturday the Spanish Government announced that any bar/restaurant that held over 100 people would have to close. By 10pm, this had changed to all bars/restaurants etc. It's been a pretty crap holiday being confined to the appt for the last couple of days but shit happens. It can't be much fun for locals either. Just looking to get home on Thursday, hopefully. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
AlimOzturk

Have my holiday booked in May to go to Turkey but hoping it is cancelled. I won't be going but listening to advice I am best to wait for jet 2 to cancel rather than anything else. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I was all booked up for Italy :lol:

 

Deposit likely lost but that's OK. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...