VAR

alwaysthereinspirit

41 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Apart from 30,000 Chelsea supporters

I don't think any football fan would. The Chelsea fans were happy to take the decision but they'd be under no illusions that it should've stood.

We're delighted that Baggio won a penalty in 1998 but we all know he was fouled outside the box. 

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tommy Brown

• IronJambo

• Jambof3tornado

• Smoked-Glass

7 hours ago, IronJambo said:

I'm in agreeance with this. We also blame VAR for handballs, which isn't right as normally the rules have been applied. The rules however, are bonkers.

Two big ones for me since the restart:

Sheffield Utd goal V Aston Villa - Utd scored but the goal line tech didn't tell the ref. How didn't the ref or a lino see the keeper hold the ball and rest it against the back of the post? Why didn't VAR even look at it?

West Ham v Chelsea - Souceks opening goal chopped off after a 3 and a half minute VAR review. Antonio (or his head) deemed to be offside whilst lying on the grass. He didn't touch the ball but he was deemed to have been blocking the keepers line of sight. He was lying on the ground ffs, he wasn't blocking anyone's view.

Both awful decisions and both down to the decision makers rather than the technology.

Tbf, I agreed with the Soucek one...but not for the keepers line of sight. He obstructed Azpilicueta's ability to try and block the ball as he had to lift his foot over Antonio who was offside albeit unfortunately.

3 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Tbf, I agreed with the Soucek one...but not for the keepers line of sight. He obstructed Azpilicueta's ability to try and block the ball as he had to lift his foot over Antonio who was offside albeit unfortunately.

You might have a small point there, although I don't think there was even a single pundit out there that thought like that. Most expressed dismay. It wasn't why it was disallowed either.

Malinga the Swinga
5 hours ago, IronJambo said:

I don't think any football fan would. The Chelsea fans were happy to take the decision but they'd be under no illusions that it should've stood.

We're delighted that Baggio won a penalty in 1998 but we all know he was fouled outside the box. 

Foul started outside and continued into the box, therefore when Fulton was forced down, penalty was the correct decision. Absolutely stonewall.

2 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Foul started outside and continued into the box, therefore when Fulton was forced down, penalty was the correct decision. Absolutely stonewall.

🤣  save that for huns in the pub. He wasn't in the box until he threw himself in it after being brought down outside.

Malinga the Swinga
2 minutes ago, IronJambo said:

🤣  save that for huns in the pub. He wasn't in the box until he threw himself in it after being brought down outside.

No chance. Clearly on line when caught and then carried on being fouled just into box. Remember it well from my position in stand at Celtic Park. Clear as day.

1 minute ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

No chance. Clearly on line when caught and then carried on being fouled just into box. Remember it well from my position in stand at Celtic Park. Clear as day.

🤣 Maybe you best not watch it again, I wouldn't want your memories ruined.

2 hours ago, IronJambo said:

You might have a small point there, although I don't think there was even a single pundit out there that thought like that. Most expressed dismay. It wasn't why it was disallowed either.

Yeh, I think they arrived at (just imo) the correct decision but for the wrong reason. Not much of an endorsement for them.

16 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Yeh, I think they arrived at (just imo) the correct decision but for the wrong reason. Not much of an endorsement for them.

Nah, not having it. Was a goal 😁

Smoked-Glass
9 hours ago, IronJambo said:

Was on the line. 

The best one for us is this

484073106_Screenshot_20200617-190103_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.b059d5e6e2e65a34cde50b7091aa5e28.jpg

• 3 months later...

https://www.metro.us/fifa-asks-tech-firms/

Reuters) – FIFA has asked technology companies to develop ways to improve visuals to help its officials with close video assistant referee (VAR) decisions on offsides, the global soccer governing body said on Tuesday.

The current system, which involves the use of dotted lines to determine whether a player is offside, has come under fire following a string of controversial calls in Europe’s top leagues.

In a bid to improve the system, FIFA said companies would be provided with “anonymised datasets” of offside decisions based on which they should present possible solutions.

FIFA also said that three technology providers have expressed an interest in developing semi-automated technology to improve the review process for offside incidents.

“The aim of this development phase is to further improve the algorithms of the systems based on a collection of datasets from hundreds of different offside incidents,” the governing body said.

FIFA also said it discussed the development of the VAR “light” concept, which aims to create more affordable technology which can be implemented at all levels of the game.

(Reporting by Arvind Sriram in Bengaluru; Editing by Hugh Lawson)

in-art-close-icon-128x128-16481b937f87b244a645cdbef0d930f8.png
–– ADVERTISEMENT ––