VAR

alwaysthereinspirit

Not exclusive to the epl. Bullshit handball given against Zlatan in the ac milan game just now. The ref even went to the monitor for this one, no idea what he's playing at. 

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tommy Brown

• IronJambo

• Jambof3tornado

• The Internet

5 hours ago, alwaysthereinspirit said:

I would say that tackle on the Chelsea player proves it doesn’t work.

This 1000 percent blatant stamp on leg

37 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

Not exclusive to the epl. Bullshit handball given against Zlatan in the ac milan game just now. The ref even went to the monitor for this one, no idea what he's playing at. 

I thought Zlatan handled it twice: once outside the box and then again just before he shot for the goal?

Edited by Mr Elwood P

Gen putting me off watching the EPL. Suppose not a bad thing. Fans down there taken for a ride big time, ticket prices, club shops, membership cost to buy tickets then to top it off cannot celebrate a goal in case a pube offside...

2 hours ago, Beave1874 said:

Gen putting me off watching the EPL. Suppose not a bad thing. Fans down there taken for a ride big time, ticket prices, club shops, membership cost to buy tickets then to top it off cannot celebrate a goal in case a pube offside...

Yet they agreed a cap on away ticket prices of £30 for 3 seasons recognising away fans are vital to atmosphere

In a statement, the Premier League said away fans were "essential for match atmosphere" and helped make the league unique.

They also do fantastic thing is the community far in excess of what was done in years gone by

So not all bad

Geoff Kilpatrick
8 hours ago, Beave1874 said:

Any place where "fans" think a half and half scarf is a good idea deserves to be ripped off.

They have wasted a good idea by their stupid rule changes to suit var.

Refs have to start taking responsibility as well by going to the screens and making a decision.

2 hours ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Any place where "fans" think a half and half scarf is a good idea deserves to be ripped off.

That is the street sellers idea.

They saw a gap in the market and took advantage.

Happened with the Hearts street sellers in the 80's with ski hats and scarves for the big European games.

I’ve just seen the VAR decisions in the Leicester v city game :rofl:. If they give the city one how on earth could they not give the Leicester one? Plus ederson wipes out iheanacho. Leicester should have had 2 penalties.

2 minutes ago, Irufushi said:

I’ve just seen the VAR decisions in the Leicester v city game :rofl:. If they give the city one how on earth could they not give the Leicester one? Plus ederson wipes out iheanacho. Leicester should have had 2 penalties.

This. Why is that goalie not sent off. Horrendous decisions against LC.

Ian Wright was right with the sarcasm about protecting your face.

19 hours ago, alwaysthereinspirit said:

Var is not working and folk even saying its ruining the game, taking the life out of it.

3 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

Var is not working and folk even saying its ruining the game, taking the life out of it.

VAR does work, it's just that the officials are shite with or without VAR. So fae noo oan, I'll stick to the mind that refs are fecking hopeless Billy nae mates who chose to ref to get their own back on the rest of society. :)

The EPL were far too quick to try and implement it the way they have

Sheer arrogance trying to prove the are best and biggest league in the world

15 hours ago, Jeff said:

All refs talk to their linesmen and fourth official but the audio isn't played on the TV or highlights

Which is good, we want to watch the football not listen to them.

33 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

VAR does work, it's just that the officials are shite with or without VAR. So fae noo oan, I'll stick to the mind that refs are fecking hopeless Billy nae mates who chose to ref to get their own back on the rest of society. :)

It would certainly show up the refs we have in Scotland, i was making my comments on what was said on match of the day

this morning.

13 hours ago, sassenach said:

My rambling twopenn'orth on VAR:

Firstly, I think it ruins the flow and spontaneity of the game. These aspects are part of what makes the game so great, and it's a shame to lose them.

Secondly, although I haven't seen the incident referred to in the OP, there are differing opinions on here from people who have seen it. So if there is still ambiguity from replays, what exactly is VAR achieving? I don't even need to see the incident, because my opinion would be no more valid than that of anyone who disagrees.

Thirdly, my understanding is that VAR is only supposed to correct clear and obvious errors, not actually referee the game. This being the case, why do some decisions take 2 or 3 minutes?  If an apparent error is clear and obvious, it will be instantly noticeable on a replay. Thirty seconds is too long, never mind three minutes.

Fourthly, one of the great things about football (in my opinion) is its simplicity. Twenty two players and three officials can have a game on a park pitch under exactly the same playing conditions as the World Cup Final (pre-VAR). Surely this simplicity is part of the beauty of the game and worth protecting?

Bottom line, organised football existed and thrived for about 140 years before VAR. It has always had controversies, but has always retained the beauty I have referred to. It is now starting to have even more controversies but is losing its beauty. So what exactly is the benefit of VAR? Just get on with the game and let the referee's decision be final.

Well said!

I'm getting a few cheap laughs at some of the wackier decisions and outcomes,  but VAR is ruining the EPL as a spectacle. 

The bottom line is that most decisions are still inherently subjective rather than factual. The ball is either over the line or not. That is factual  and they have technology to determine that.

Whether someone intended to stamp on an opponent,  or to handle the ball, is always going to be down to individual interpretation.  All that VAR does is to transfer the responsibility for the decision to someone watching a screen hundreds of miles away. It is still the decision of an individual,  albeit with the chance to watch it again from different angles, and with a bit more time. Decisions should be "right" more often, but will still never satisfy everyone. 

VAR will continue to fail for as long as everyone expects it to be flawless. In the meantime it is killing football as we know it. 

SectionDJambo
1 hour ago, John Findlay said:

It's how the EPL have decide to implement VAR that's the problem, not the technology itself.

Agreed.

For anything other than offside decisions, the referee should look himself. At least then the fans know what is going on and who is making the decision. There's a screen at the tunnel. The referees must start using it.

2 hours ago, ri Alban said:

:sob:

Still better than climbing ladders and peeping tomming in folks windows.

VAR - players don't like it, managers don't like it, fans don't like it, makes you wonder if someone somewhere is making a killing off it.

Just now, Des' Dad said:

VAR - players don't like it, managers don't like it, fans don't like it, makes you wonder if someone somewhere is making a killing off it.

Only bit everyone hates, is it's chronic implementation by the EPL.

Ex member of the SaS

VAR is fantastic.

If it works for you and crap if it doesn't. The reason we won't get it up here is the OF would miss out with dodgy off sides and fouls. They benefit more from these decisions than any other team.

1 hour ago, John Findlay said:

It's how the EPL have decide to implement VAR that's the problem, not the technology itself.

Nope. Was shite at the world cup and champions league last season too. From what I've seen of other leagues it's the same everywhere. Pish. 

1 hour ago, SectionDJambo said:

Agreed.

For anything other than offside decisions, the referee should look himself. At least then the fans know what is going on and who is making the decision. There's a screen at the tunnel. The referees must start using it.

Agreed.

avhudtheteeshirt

VAR has been a revelation in sport, rugby seems to have little or no problems with it, its football that the problems seem to arrive?

Rugby refs talk their way through the game which makes it easier for the man in the studio as he knows what the ref thought of the problem!

In football no one has a clue what the refs are thinking, so when it comes to decisions, they seem to be scouring everything to get to what happened??

Football will soon have an incident, of a goal being chalked off as something happened (i.e. a penalty at the other end) that the ref never seen and carried on playing!!!!!  

1 hour ago, avhudtheteeshirt said:

Football will soon have an incident, of a goal being chalked off as something happened (i.e. a penalty at the other end) that the ref never seen and carried on playing!!!!!  

It happened yesterday.

Bournemouth equalise, Var takes it back to a penalty to Burnley.

May have hit the top of arm or shoulder. Impossible to tell.

• 4 months later...
Angel eyes

Getting ridiculous Tottenham goal disallowed spurs player fouled momentum carries him forward and down ball ricochets of his arm he hasn’t a clue where the ball is falls to Kane he scores but disallowed dearie me

John Findlay

Still ruining the English game.

Edited by John Findlay

Seymour M Hersh
On 22/02/2020 at 13:41, alwaysthereinspirit said:

I would also suggest the Man U goal should have been chalked off as the ball had gone out for a throw in. 

3fingersreid
21 minutes ago, Angel eyes said:

Getting ridiculous Tottenham goal disallowed spurs player fouled momentum carries him forward and down ball ricochets of his arm he hasn’t a clue where the ball is falls to Kane he scores but disallowed dearie me

And to compound it , the referee was going to give a foul on Moura(sp) but waved play on . Surely if the goal was disallowed , wrongly imo, it was a free kick to Tottenham 

John Findlay

The Sheff U player kicked it off Moura, I'm not even convinced it hit his arm. The ball was well over the shy line in the build up to the Man U goal. It's just a mess in the EPL.

• 2 weeks later...

Totally scunnered with VAR now. Watching Palace's last 2 games how Sakho's goal was ruled handball against Villa when it hit his shoulder is beyond me. Fair enough Ayew's goal was ruled offside last night against Man Utd due to his big toe (didn't like it but we have had decisions go our way like that so you have to accept it). But they decided the challenge on Zaha was not a penalty before Rashford goes up the other end of the pitch and scores. If Rashford had been fouled like that you can bet they would have given the pen.

And to top it all, EPL have decided to retain the 5 subs rule next season, thereby allowing the teams with bigger squads to benefit. English football is not that far behind Scottish football in the laughing stock race.

Of course, all my whinging has nothing to do with Palace losing the last 6 games on the trot!!

Tommy Brown

Away from the EPL, I see Celtic got a goal disallowed by Var in their tourney in France.

Eduard given offside.

Ball played to him by an opposition defender.

:rofl:

2 minutes ago, Smoked-Glass said:

David blunkett

He must have been getting a fair amount of overtime from VAR duties recently....

20 minutes ago, EagleJambo said:

Totally scunnered with VAR now. Watching Palace's last 2 games how Sakho's goal was ruled handball against Villa when it hit his shoulder is beyond me. Fair enough Ayew's goal was ruled offside last night against Man Utd due to his big toe (didn't like it but we have had decisions go our way like that so you have to accept it). But they decided the challenge on Zaha was not a penalty before Rashford goes up the other end of the pitch and scores. If Rashford had been fouled like that you can bet they would have given the pen.

And to top it all, EPL have decided to retain the 5 subs rule next season, thereby allowing the teams with bigger squads to benefit. English football is not that far behind Scottish football in the laughing stock race.

Of course, all my whinging has nothing to do with Palace losing the last 6 games on the trot!!

I saw that challenge on Zaha, it looked a clear foul to me.  In the box :)  Crap!

56 minutes ago, HMFC01 said:

I saw that challenge on Zaha, it looked a clear foul to me.  In the box :)  Crap!

Apparently the reason they didn't review it was because it wasn't a 'clear and obvious foul.' **** me - if that's not an obvious foul, what is?! Utter nonsense.

jambostuart

Football as a global spectacle is becoming silly - I've never taken a huge interest outside of Hearts but I look at games casually. Now I see a match and they have drinks breaks and VAR and it really ruins the flow of a match. As someone else said earlier 5 subs rule will suit the big teams more too. 

It's a different sport completely to lower league football now and nowhere near as enjoyable. 

jack D and coke

It was supposed to end the debate of dodgy decisions. It’s actually worse if that’s possible. The ones I’ve seen lately, United penalty at Villa where Fernandes actually stood on the villa defenders leg, on what planet was that a penalty to United....shocker. Zaha clearly fouled against United last night for a pen and then Palace get a goal chopped off for being a toenail offside. 
VAR can go and ram itself. They can’t remove it now though they just have to hope it improves. The decisions I’m seeing atm are all wrong though. 

5 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

It was supposed to end the debate of dodgy decisions. It’s actually worse if that’s possible. The ones I’ve seen lately, United penalty at Villa where Fernandes actually stood on the villa defenders leg, on what planet was that a penalty to United....shocker. Zaha clearly fouled against United last night for a pen and then Palace get a goal chopped off for being a toenail offside. 
VAR can go and ram itself. They can’t remove it now though they just have to hope it improves. The decisions I’m seeing atm are all wrong though. 

It proves that officials are hopeless. 

Tommy Brown
8 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

Wednesday was a poor one on the Zaha incident. The defender clearly kicks through Zaha to get the ball.

The offside one, this ended up closer than it really was as the defender threw his foot back trying to block the cross. The forward was always closer to the goal line immediately before the ball was kicked, so it looked obvious offside.

It may seem harsh, imo he was more off than on.

Edited by Tommy Brown

4 hours ago, Taffin said:

I'm still all for VAR. It's the people looking at it who need to make better decisions

I'm in agreeance with this. We also blame VAR for handballs, which isn't right as normally the rules have been applied. The rules however, are bonkers.

Two big ones for me since the restart:

Sheffield Utd goal V Aston Villa - Utd scored but the goal line tech didn't tell the ref. How didn't the ref or a lino see the keeper hold the ball and rest it against the back of the post? Why didn't VAR even look at it?

West Ham v Chelsea - Souceks opening goal chopped off after a 3 and a half minute VAR review. Antonio (or his head) deemed to be offside whilst lying on the grass. He didn't touch the ball but he was deemed to have been blocking the keepers line of sight. He was lying on the ground ffs, he wasn't blocking anyone's view.

Both awful decisions and both down to the decision makers rather than the technology.

VAR is absolutely shite. It doesn't work because it's wrong about as often as it is right. May as well just let the ref do his job and use VAR as a challenge system by the clubs. 

Tommy Brown
37 minutes ago, IronJambo said:

West Ham v Chelsea - Souceks opening goal chopped off after a 3 and a half minute VAR review. Antonio (or his head) deemed to be offside whilst lying on the grass. He didn't touch the ball but he was deemed to have been blocking the keepers line of sight. He was lying on the ground ffs, he wasn't blocking anyone's view.

In defence of the decision, I'm sure ball was hit off Antonio on the way in. 

Your obviously a disgruntled Hammer that can't look objectively :whistling:

Edit

I apologise, it didn't hit him on the way in.

Edited by Tommy Brown

Smoked-Glass
42 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

VAR is absolutely shite. It doesn't work because it's wrong about as often as it is right. May as well just let the ref do his job and use VAR as a challenge system by the clubs. 

That's a good idea.  You ve got all week to sort out red cards or bans etc..  Leave it to the ref. 

If it must stay I'd do a challenge system where you only get 3 per team per game

42 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

In defence of the decision, I'm sure ball was hit off Antonio on the way in. 

Your obviously a disgruntled Hammer that can't look objectively :whistling:

Edit

I apologise, it didn't hit him on the way in.

I was disgruntled... No, incensed at the time. By the end of the game it was insignificant as it had no consequence. 

You're correct in your edit 😉, but in any case the official line for disallowing the goal was that Antonio was in an offside position and was blocking the keepers line of sight. Nobody else in the world thought that wasn't a goal. 

John Findlay
25 minutes ago, IronJambo said:

I was disgruntled... No, incensed at the time. By the end of the game it was insignificant as it had no consequence. 

You're correct in your edit 😉, but in any case the official line for disallowing the goal was that Antonio was in an offside position and was blocking the keepers line of sight. Nobody else in the world thought that wasn't a goal. 

Apart from 30,000 Chelsea supporters