Zonal Marking

Jamboelite

The last few weeks have rightly been  the examination of our poor goalkeeping and central defenders but this tactic of zonal marking at set pieces and corners is horrendous.

I dont get zonal marking, all it needs is someone to come into your space late and they get a free go at it.

Can we please stop playing it.

Is there a team that actually gets this working better than man marking?

Another thing for Stendel to consider as its his tactic.

17 minutes ago, Jamboelite said:

The last few weeks have rightly been  the examination of our poor goalkeeping and central defenders but this tactic of zonal marking at set pieces and corners is horrendous.

I dont get zonal marking, all it needs is someone to come into your space late and they get a free go at it.

He needs to stop this as we are leaking goals from set pieces. 

Also think after we beat Rangers other teams sussed our style of play as in St Johnstone and Kilmarnock who knocked 6 past us. 

Yet we go to Parkhead and try to implement same said plan again and take another hammering. 

Has our manager no semblance of a Plan B because we bloody well need one. 😏

Jambof3tornado

What are the good sides to zonal marking?? Lots of teams use it but I always think it allows attackers a run and leap v a standing jump.

Must be some positives to it or nobody would use it?!?

mulleted_jambo
4 minutes ago, Hungry hippo said:

Its certainly not helping. We were pretty good in this area before we switched.

We also had Berra who won everything. He didn’t man mark either he was just left free to go and win it. 

mulleted_jambo
4 minutes ago, Jambof3tornado said:

What are the good sides to zonal marking?? Lots of teams use it but I always think it allows attackers a run and leap v a standing jump.

It allows you to have all your players who are good in the air in the dangerous areas rather than getting dragged about marking individuals. However as you say it can give players a jump on you if you don’t do it right. Which clearly we aren’t at the moment. We currently have a pretty small team though so who’s to say we would be any better man marking. 

10 minutes ago, Jambof3tornado said:

I genuinely dont know i see nothing but negatives with it.

3 minutes ago, mulleted_jambo said:

It allows you to have all your players who are good in the air in the dangerous areas rather than getting dragged about marking individuals. However as you say it can give players a jump on you if you don’t do it right. Which clearly we aren’t at the moment. We currently have a pretty small team though so who’s to say we would be any better man marking. 

We didnt ship this many goals at set pieces before the change so for me that is a good indicator.

Pasquale for King
40 minutes ago, Jamboelite said:

Liverpool, the problem is our two CHs can’t mark players or jump to win the headers. Berra masked their inability to do this by winning most of the headers in the box. If you look at the 5th goal Souttar is out of position and gets blocked slightly by Brown as he tries to get back to where he should be. Halkett is beaten by Julien for the 2nd, no real shame in that as he’s a giant and beats most players, someone needs to block his run slightly to stop him getting a run and jump. 

Edited by Pasquale for King

3 minutes ago, GorgieRules22 said:

If someone can explain to me why zonal marking is better than going touch tight man for man in the box I’m all ears.

I guess it is about winning the ball instead of the man with each player only focusing on their area not runners. But I'm not sure how it fairs when the opposition flood the box for a set piece and have multiple bodies in the way of the defender winning the ball.

What area is Pereira meant to command during set pieces? :whistling:

Loads of top teams Mark zonally.  You get a job and you know whose responsibility each area is.

We're doing it badly, but that's not the fault of the system

mulleted_jambo
2 minutes ago, Jamboelite said:

We didnt ship this many goals at set pieces before the change so for me that is a good indicator.

As said above it works for Liverpool. Berra is also a massive miss at set pieces.

either system can work but at the end of the day it comes down to the defensive players ability to go and win the ball. Without that neither will work. I don’t think we have many (if any) aggressive ball winning players. 

Liverpool had many issues with zonal marking until they both got to grasps with it and had players to implement it. It requires reading of the ball from keeper and defenders as well as height. Alisson will come and punch or catch if he reads it right. More often than not Van Dijk will read it properly and intercept. However we have a keeper that sticks to his line and defenders who think the zonal marking areas they initially stand in are where they’re meant to stay and just jump. We don’t have the height of other teams so giving them a head start to jump at a ball is just asking for trouble. Especially if you stay static and don’t anticipate and intercept. Zonal marking can work but the players have to know when to run from their zonal spot and when not. I certainly think if it takes Liverpool more than a season to master we should hang off until pre-season before trying it again. I fear like Pereira Stendel will persist though. And if in the bottom six we’ll be up against sides where set pieces are their bread and butter so we’ll ship at least a goal a game that way on average I’d imagine.

Pasquale for King
10 minutes ago, Jamboelite said:

Yes we did, and that was with Berra in the team winning most of the headers.

1 hour ago, Jamboelite said:

1st goal Killie scored, their guy had a free run into our 6 yard box because he wasn't being marked.

Too easy for him when he had all the momentum and our guys were standing rooted to the spot.

Look at the bbc highlights from last night. We were a shambles at defending corners.

Its a shit system and doesn't suit us.

Waken up Daniel !!

7 minutes ago, Diego10 said:

We were conceding goals from set pieces regularly all season btw

It didnt feel at the same rate as we seem to be now.

Can someone tell me what the goalkeepers "zone" is? Keepers nowadays don't seem to come for anything. I'm not just talking about our accident waiting to happen either

I've never been a fan of Zonal marking, all too often it allows the attacking player a run to attack the ball against a defender whose trying to jump on a standing start. Also, if it falls between zones its too easy for players to blame each other after the attacking player gets a free header or short.  Its too risky for me unless you have an exceptionally well drilled defensive unit and very good intelligent footballers...... we have neither.

Stick to man to man, everybody does their job and you lessen the risk. 

1 hour ago, Jamboelite said:

It didnt feel at the same rate as we seem to be now.

Correct. I dread it every time we concede a corner now. Mark a man and if that man scores it's your fault

2 hours ago, Jamboelite said:

This might come as a shock to you - but we're not zonal marking in the hope that you understand it or can play that tactic.

2 hours ago, mulleted_jambo said:

We also had Berra who won everything. He didn’t man mark either he was just left free to go and win it. 

You are just fantasizing if you belive that.

Standing like statues watching 6 foot 2 defenders a free header is complete madness.

whether it is man marking or zonal, you have to beat your opponent to the ball. 

it is not the system at fault but our players ability to compete for the ball.

2 hours ago, mulleted_jambo said:

For one of the goals we had about 3 or 4 players marking the front post near no Celtic players. Ball was just played over their heads.  

Zonal marking is in the same boat as Stendel's pressing tactic. Can it work when it's done right? Absolutely. Does this Hearts squad look capable of adapting to it successfully this season? Certainly doesn't look like it. 

mulleted_jambo
4 minutes ago, Koolkeith said:

For one of the goals we had about 3 or 4 players marking the front post near no Celtic players. Ball was just played over their heads.  

Exactly my point we’re not doing it well and don’t have enough players who can compete in the air. 

I would say at the moment we should go back to basics and man mark however it does work if it’s done right with the right players. 

Other than souttar, halkett and smith nobody wins headers. 

Edited by mulleted_jambo

28 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

You are just fantasizing if you belive that.

Berra won an incredible amount of headers from corners. He didn’t mark anyone. He was left free purely to attack the ball. Worked well imo. 

Zonal marking at set pieces can work fine, most of the top teams in the world use it I believe (or a hybrid of zonal and man). 

You need players to take responsibility and attack the ball though. Whether we have that is open to debate. (I suspect we'd concede a similar amount of goals, or probably more, if we were to man mark).

29 minutes ago, mulleted_jambo said:

Exactly my point we’re not doing it well and don’t have enough players who can compete in the air. 

I would say at the moment we should go back to basics and man mark however it does work if it’s done right with the right players. 

Other than souttar, halkett and smith nobody wins headers. 

Fully agree. Not the time to be experimenting.

26 minutes ago, Cynic said:

Can someone explain in easy terms what it is. Ta.

Each player has a zone/area of the pitch that is theirs to protect in set pieces and attack the ball from.

Problem with Hearts is the players are still learning it and maybe are unsure when to go from zonal to pressing/chasing. Lack of a commanding goalkeeper not helping either at crosses etc.

58 minutes ago, kila said:

Each player has a zone/area of the pitch that is theirs to protect in set pieces and attack the ball from.

Problem with Hearts is the players are still learning it and maybe are unsure when to go from zonal to pressing/chasing. Lack of a commanding goalkeeper not helping either at crosses etc.

Edited by Cynic

Jambo diehard

If we'd have had a body on players at their corners last night they might not have scored so ****** easily? By all means have some zonal marking at set pieces but ffs put some to mark players like they two who scored them, dinnae gie  them a free run at it? 

2 hours ago, Koolkeith said:

Fully agree. Not the time to be experimenting.

Exactly. 

I don't personally like zonal marking but it can work correctly. 

The only priority right now is to not get relegated and Stendel has to show some pragmatism and realise we don't have the time to overhaul our defensive setup and have teething problems as we bed that in.

The ideal time is in the summer transfer window and pre season.

Right now, it's winning matches any way we can.

5 hours ago, mulleted_jambo said:

I doubt there are many defenders in this league that can out jump that Celtic lad Jullien. 6'7 or something? 

5 hours ago, mulleted_jambo said:

True,  zonal marking can only work when you have several players that are strong in the air and position themselves accordingly, it’s normally more successful when you have a keeper that can commend the six yard box unfortunately our players are not the strongest in the air and our keeper can’t command the space he stands in .you correctly said we are a pretty small team so we are at a disadvantage on cross balls whoever we play it unfortunately,