Jump to content
Hairdryer

Queensferry crossing

Recommended Posts

Hairdryer

Queensferry crossing closed tonight and maybe longer southbound 

due to falling ice from the towers unfortunately the forth road Bridge cannot 

be used due to work being done

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jamb0_1874

Closed in both directions now until the morning where they will do a visual inspection. Which makes me think it will be closed for at least part of the rush hour.

 

Remind me again why it was a better idea to build a bridge rather than a tunnel? Saying that the tunnel would have probably flooded going by the government's history on major construction projects of late.

Edited by jamb0_1874

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dagger Is Back

Bloody lucky no ones been killed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hughesie27
27 minutes ago, jamb0_1874 said:

Closed in both directions now until the morning where they will do a visual inspection. Which makes me think it will be closed for at least part of the rush hour.

 

Remind me again why it was a better idea to build a bridge rather than a tunnel? Saying that the tunnel would have probably flooded going by the government's history on major construction projects of late.

Pretty sure the bridge has been a massive success since it opened. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jamb0_1874
10 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Pretty sure the bridge has been a massive success since it opened. 

 

The wind proofing has been a success I'll give you that...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
husref musemic
14 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Pretty sure the bridge has been a massive success since it opened. 

built with the same capacity as the one built in the 1960s. a joke.

Edited by husref musemic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hughesie27
20 minutes ago, husref musemic said:

built with the same capacity as the one built in the 1960s. a joke.

HGVs don't use it though right?

I have to admit I don't use it daily but is there a lot of need for it to be larger? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ferris Bueller

Hope the bridge between Ireland and Scotland thats being looked into has better success. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Herbert
7 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

HGVs don't use it though right?

I have to admit I don't use it daily but is there a lot of need for it to be larger? 

 

Yes, its usually tailed back from 6.30 and at the peak of the traffic your adding a extra 25-30mins onto your journey. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jonesy
1 minute ago, Herbert said:

 

Yes, its usually tailed back from 6.30 and at the peak of the traffic your adding a extra 25-30mins onto your journey. 


Folk still seem to slow down on the new bridge despite it being a 70. No idea why. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Montgomery Brewster
1 hour ago, jamb0_1874 said:

Closed in both directions now until the morning where they will do a visual inspection. Which makes me think it will be closed for at least part of the rush hour.

 

Remind me again why it was a better idea to build a bridge rather than a tunnel? Saying that the tunnel would have probably flooded going by the government's history on major construction projects of late.

Due to the width , structure and depth of the forth the tunnel would have had to have started further inland and was therefore a non starter 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hairdryer
14 minutes ago, jonesy said:


Folk still seem to slow down on the new bridge despite it being a 70. No idea why. 

Noticed that myself it’s like if some drivers get nervous when driving on it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Herbert
15 minutes ago, jonesy said:


Folk still seem to slow down on the new bridge despite it being a 70. No idea why. 

 

 

That annoys me, you crawl along at like 5mph for ages then half way over the bridge as if by magic traffic speeds up and theres no obstruction. If everyone sat a few cars length away from the car in front and maintained a steady speed then people could merge no problem and traffic would flow. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Smack
21 minutes ago, Montgomery Brewster said:

Due to the width , structure and depth of the forth the tunnel would have had to have started further inland and was therefore a non starter 

The same risk assessment I used to carry out in my mind before refusing marital relations with the ex. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ray Gin

Bit of a design flaw, that! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Smithee
7 hours ago, hughesie27 said:

Pretty sure the bridge has been a massive success since it opened. 

 

It's certainly kept my feet dry

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GinRummy
8 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

Bit of a design flaw, that! 

Looks that way. Shut every time it's cold now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
frankblack
10 hours ago, husref musemic said:

built with the same capacity as the one built in the 1960s. a joke.

 

They should handicap its current capacity and force people to public transport instead of causing congestion in Edinburgh.

 

There are far too many car journeys into Edinburgh from Fife at rush hour.

Edited by frankblack

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FWJ

Is it a problem with cable-stayed bridges in general?  AFAIK the Kessock Bridge hasn’t had this problem (or the Erskine)

Funny that it didn’t happen on the FRB either - I know the cables are on the outside of the FRB - but the wind could still blow ice off and onto the carriageway.

 

Just seems strange all round.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mutley
15 minutes ago, frankblack said:

 

They should handicap its current capacity and force people to public transport instead of causing congestion in Edinburgh.

 

There are far too many car journeys into Edinburgh from Fife at rush hour.

Make it north bound only in the morning and southbound at home time. Keep the fifers in fife

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
John Gentleman
11 hours ago, jamb0_1874 said:

Closed in both directions now until the morning where they will do a visual inspection. Which makes me think it will be closed for at least part of the rush hour.

 

Remind me again why it was a better idea to build a bridge rather than a tunnel? Saying that the tunnel would have probably flooded going by the government's history on major construction projects of late.

Could've re-bored the Bo'ness to Valleyfield one?

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/scotland-blog/2014/apr/30/scotland-firthofforth-coal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jack D and coke
10 hours ago, Montgomery Brewster said:

Due to the width , structure and depth of the forth the tunnel would have had to have started further inland and was therefore a non starter 

Not sure of cost but always thought a tunnel made more sense. Also could be taking so much traffic away from that bottleneck if the entrances and exits were much further away. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SUTOL
3 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Not sure of cost but always thought a tunnel made more sense. Also could be taking so much traffic away from that bottleneck if the entrances and exits were much further away. 

 

All they needed to do was not have access to the Queensferries from the new bridge any local traffic could use the old bridge. 

But also the decision to just have two lanes in each direction is particularly stupid. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Harry Potter
1 hour ago, GinRummy said:

Looks that way. Shut every time it's cold now.

Thats handy right enough with our weather :berra:.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jack D and coke
3 minutes ago, SUTOL said:

 

All they needed to do was not have access to the Queensferries from the new bridge any local traffic could use the old bridge. 

But also the decision to just have two lanes in each direction is particularly stupid. 

I know cost must come into it but they don’t seem to have too much foresight. Look at the city bypass for example. Whoever designed that with two lanes and no hard shoulder should get a shoeing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Herbert
1 hour ago, frankblack said:

 

They should handicap its current capacity and force people to public transport instead of causing congestion in Edinburgh.

 

There are far too many car journeys into Edinburgh from Fife at rush hour.

 

 

They should make the A90, Glagow road, St John's road, A71 and the city bypass toll roads during peak times for people that live outside Edinburgh. Charge people 15quid a day to drive into Edinburgh and they will jump on the bus or train. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Montgomery Brewster
59 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Not sure of cost but always thought a tunnel made more sense. Also could be taking so much traffic away from that bottleneck if the entrances and exits were much further away. 

The land was the issue as well. Especially on the south side as owned by one of the estates 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Montgomery Brewster
22 minutes ago, Herbert said:

 

 

They should make the A90, Glagow road, St John's road, A71 and the city bypass toll roads during peak times for people that live outside Edinburgh. Charge people 15quid a day to drive into Edinburgh and they will jump on the bus or train. 

Agreed except everyone should pay. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jack D and coke
2 minutes ago, Montgomery Brewster said:

The land was the issue as well. Especially on the south side as owned by one of the estates 

Ah ok👍🏼

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Governor Tarkin
24 minutes ago, Montgomery Brewster said:

The land was the issue as well. Especially on the south side as owned by one of the estates 

 

When the revolution comes we can sequestrate this land for the very purpose.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Herbert
47 minutes ago, Montgomery Brewster said:

Agreed except everyone should pay. 

 

The council want to make the city centre car free anyway, but if you look at the traffic on the roads out of Edinburgh its gridlocked where as other routes it's no too bad at peak times. It's people from outside Edinburgh that are the problem 

Edited by Herbert

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Armageddon

Extending this debate onto the trams :)  I'm a tram fan, but trying to get parked at the airport park and ride is horrendous - then there's the Gyle parking for the tram - total joke.

 

THEN we have this utter scandal of getting into Edinburgh Airport.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
theshed
1 hour ago, Herbert said:

 

 

They should make the A90, Glagow road, St John's road, A71 and the city bypass toll roads during peak times for people that live outside Edinburgh. Charge people 15quid a day to drive into Edinburgh and they will jump on the bus or train. 

 

You tried to get on a train at peak time? 

 

They cant cope with passengers as it is without more people trying 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Herbert
5 minutes ago, theshed said:

 

You tried to get on a train at peak time? 

 

They cant cope with passengers as it is without more people trying 

 

 

Nah I take the car.

 

It doesn't help that the fife services are the ones that get slaughtered when it comes to cancellations. Maybe if the demand was significantly higher scotrail and stagecoach will put on more services and maybe another company will come in. I heard about Lothian serving ferrytoll but that might just be people taking out there arse. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FWJ

Well, the council tried to introduce “congestion charging” - ie a toll to enter the city centre and it was heavily defeated in a referendum.

I suspect there would be a few blood vessels popping on here if they tried again.

 

Agree about the P&R at Ingliston - difficult to get parked there most days, they could do with more, including ones where you could leave your car for a couple of days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OBE
1 hour ago, Herbert said:

 

The council want to make the city centre car free anyway, but if you look at the traffic on the roads out of Edinburgh its gridlocked where as other routes it's no too bad at peak times. It's people from outside Edinburgh that are the problem 

 

Edinburgh car owners commuting within the Edinburgh boundary are also contributing to the congestion.

Edited by Old Blue Eyes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
frankblack
45 minutes ago, FWJ said:

Well, the council tried to introduce “congestion charging” - ie a toll to enter the city centre and it was heavily defeated in a referendum.

I suspect there would be a few blood vessels popping on here if they tried again.

 

Agree about the P&R at Ingliston - difficult to get parked there most days, they could do with more, including ones where you could leave your car for a couple of days.

 

Remind me of the scope of those plans? If they were within the city limits I would still vote against it.

 

Abolishing tolls on the old bridge may have been a political vote winner but just caused more congestion.

 

Any tolls/congestion charge should be for entry to Edinburgh as the residents shouldn't have to pay for problems caused by traffic in and out the city limits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FWJ
16 minutes ago, frankblack said:

 

Remind me of the scope of those plans? If they were within the city limits I would still vote against it.

 

Abolishing tolls on the old bridge may have been a political vote winner but just caused more congestion.

 

Any tolls/congestion charge should be for entry to Edinburgh as the residents shouldn't have to pay for problems caused by traffic in and out the city limits.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edinburgh_congestion_charge

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
husref musemic
4 hours ago, frankblack said:

 

They should handicap its current capacity and force people to public transport instead of causing congestion in Edinburgh.

 

There are far too many car journeys into Edinburgh from Fife at rush hour.

I'm not commuting over it any more (thankfully) but when I did it was to go to Livingston or loanhead. if there was anyway of getting there that didn't involve 3 buses or trains id have done it.  

There's tens of thousands of houses been built in the last few years and going up like mushrooms making it steadily worse.

 

id shut it and go back to the old bridge.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Stuart Lyon

Congestion charging is about to be introduced via LEZs and Workplace Parking Charges! 

 

LEZs currently based on Euro 6 emission standards. London also has Ultra Low Emission Zones which presumably have a stricter emission level than LEZs so this will no doubt be in the CeC's plans for introduction further down the line.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Pistol1874
7 hours ago, GinRummy said:

Looks that way. Shut every time it's cold now.

I dared criticising the SNP for this development on Twitter and was informed by the mob that this is the first time that the bridge had been shut since it was opened.

Leaving aside the questions of whether it should have been shut for similar previously and why they still waited for ice to fall (and the risks which come with that), before they did close it, it does seem a problem with similar designs to this in other places too(less of a problem on the old one for whatever reason).

Does make you wonder why they chose this design and also, should we suffer less mild winters, how much of an issue this could become.

Not being a civil engineer, I know not the answer to either of those questions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Montgomery Brewster
5 hours ago, Herbert said:

 

The council want to make the city centre car free anyway, but if you look at the traffic on the roads out of Edinburgh its gridlocked where as other routes it's no too bad at peak times. It's people from outside Edinburgh that are the problem 

Not everyone works 9-5 anymore so your claim that’s it’s people outside Edinburgh causing congestion doesn’t stack up 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
queensferryjambo
18 hours ago, hughesie27 said:

HGVs don't use it though right?

I have to admit I don't use it daily but is there a lot of need for it to be larger? 

 

HGVs do use it.

 

It is buses and taxis that use the Forth Road Bridge now and HGVs go over the Queensferry crossing.

 

I get why they have had to close it. A few people were lucky not to get hurt yesterday as ice fell from the cables and smashed their windscreens. No point in taking any risks. The photos looked like they dodged a bullet.

 

I know people might complain that a bridge built in Scotland should be ready for these conditions but they were apparently exceptional conditions yesterday with the sleet sticking to cables and then turning to ice.

 

They never had any problems when the Beast from the East hit clearly this was due to very unusual conditions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
queensferryjambo
1 hour ago, Pistol1874 said:

I dared criticising the SNP for this development on Twitter and was informed by the mob that this is the first time that the bridge had been shut since it was opened.

 

You wouldn't have had to criticised the SNP to be attacked by the mob on twitter. The minute you criticise anything to do with that bridge it is seen as an attack on the SNP as it is their only real construction success. Alex Salmond and Nicola Sturgeon built it themselves don't you know ;) 

 

By the way it has been a real success since it was built so credit where it is due and the recent closure is just a bump in the road. Shame people seem to be so polarised in politics to not be able to take any kind of criticism. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Herbert
33 minutes ago, Montgomery Brewster said:

Not everyone works 9-5 anymore so your claim that’s it’s people outside Edinburgh causing congestion doesn’t stack up 

 

 

No people are starting at 7-8 in the morning so the congestion starts at 0630 on the bridge and starts again about 1500 up to 1900 on a friday it starts at 1230 with the schools on half days. I drive into Edinburgh everyday so I'm well aware of where the choke points are. I can drive from the city centre to livi centre at 8 in the morning no problem, going the other way your running 30mins late easily and the same for night time. Going into Edinburgh no problem coming out your crawling. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
frankblack
4 hours ago, FWJ said:

 

I am currently on the bus home but reading that link explains why my recollection of the details are cloudy.  They put together a vague and biased referendum question to give themselves a blank cheque, but the public saw through it.

 

The council wanted a scheme to raise revenue.  Based on hindsight it wouldn't have raised enough to cover the current overspend on the tram let alone the three lines they forecast.

Edited by frankblack

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Montgomery Brewster
5 minutes ago, Herbert said:

 

 

No people are starting at 7-8 in the morning so the congestion starts at 0630 on the bridge and starts again about 1500 up to 1900 on a friday it starts at 1230 with the schools on half days. I drive into Edinburgh everyday so I'm well aware of where the choke points are. I can drive from the city centre to livi centre at 8 in the morning no problem, going the other way your running 30mins late easily and the same for night time. Going into Edinburgh no problem coming out your crawling. 

Yes so if it’s easy in the morning but mobbed at night ? All the congestion can’t be from people out of town in that case ?

 

with the move to electric cars and zero road tax it won’t be long til the uk government moves to make up the shortfall which will be based on pay per mile and time of day. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GinRummy
2 hours ago, Pistol1874 said:

I dared criticising the SNP for this development on Twitter and was informed by the mob that this is the first time that the bridge had been shut since it was opened.

Leaving aside the questions of whether it should have been shut for similar previously and why they still waited for ice to fall (and the risks which come with that), before they did close it, it does seem a problem with similar designs to this in other places too(less of a problem on the old one for whatever reason).

Does make you wonder why they chose this design and also, should we suffer less mild winters, how much of an issue this could become.

Not being a civil engineer, I know not the answer to either of those questions.

Politicians are a bunch of dingles. Doesn’t take Einstein to work out a bridge in this country that can’t handle bad weather is a pile of shite. Not even covering the fact some poor sod could have been killed if a big chunk of ice fell through their windscreen. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cruyff

I can understand why they have closed it if there is the risk of ice falling through someone's windscreen. It is health and safety, the publics safety which is paramount. You simply cannot take those risks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
heartsfc_fan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...