Score your way out of trouble

Bauld

Stendel gets it. Already planning more signings this week and he wants another striker.

Find yourself in trouble? Don't shut up shop and try hold teams at bay.

Sign strikers, Roll up the sleeves, tighten that sphincter and start fighting back.

At the very least if you're going down go down swinging. 

I think we are going to be fine though.

Nicholas Brody

You win games by scoring more than the other team. 

Sadly this concept seemed to be alien to previous managers. Playing it safe and 'nicking' a win or 'grinding' out a draw.

Having Boyce, Naismith, Ikpeazu and Washington all on the pitch when it was 1-1. Crazy but brilliant 😃

Under Levein it would've been Boyce or Ikpeazu up on his own and hoof ball.

Weakened Offender

There was a wonderful moment yesterday when he took off the left back, put on the 4th striker and Naismith panicked and ran over screaming "what the **** are we doing?' 😊

We'll definitely get 'found out' to some degree with the style we're playing.    Managers will undoubtedly see a way expose us.    

Yes,  score more goals than the other team.    But let's hope we're not trailing too often.    Let's hope some team doesn't get a couple ahead too often.

I reckon a refinement of how our back line deals with the inevitable breaks on us will be just as important as another striker.    It's a more complicated set of instructions than the players are used to so it's probably still a work in progress.

14 minutes ago, Bauld said:

Stendel gets it. Already planning more signings this week and he wants another striker.

Find yourself in trouble? Don't shut up shop and try hold teams at bay.

Sign strikers, Roll up the sleeves, tighten that sphincter and start fighting back.

At the very least if you're going down go down swinging. 

I think we are going to be fine though.

What is the old saying? something along the lines of "Attack is the best form of Defence"

2 minutes ago, Victorian said:

We'll definitely get 'found out' to some degree with the style we're playing.    Managers will undoubtedly see a way expose us.    

Yes,  score more goals than the other team.    But let's hope we're not trailing too often.    Let's hope some team doesn't get a couple ahead too often.

I reckon a refinement of how our back line deals with the inevitable breaks on us will be just as important as another striker.    It's a more complicated set of instructions than the players are used to so it's probably still a work in progress.

I think our style will change slightly as Stendel gets his own men in. Right now it's balls to the wall attack and try get us out the bottom 2.

As long as our players show maximum commitment we shouldn't get "found out" completely because we will get back into our defensive shape quick enough to avoid too many disasters.

5 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Only conceded 2 in our last 4 games, one of them a spectacular free kick. Think our defence is improving if anything. 

4 minutes ago, Victorian said:

As much as they talk a lot of guff on Sportscene they did actually highlight that because of the style of play we were more open to the breakaway attacks as Rangers showed.

Stewart said that because the wingbacks are so high up the pitch it leaves the two centre backs quite exposed.

I reckon that once Sibbick is fully fit he will provide a bit more protection for the defence and the lad is quick and strong.

Bazzas right boot
22 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

There was a wonderful moment yesterday when he took off the left back, put on the 4th striker and Naismith panicked and ran over screaming "what the **** are we doing?' 😊

tbf he was shouting and pointing at the left side.

Seemed to be asking who would  be left back.

20 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

Did you see the bench? There were no defenders there. There was an amount of panic cos it looked like Boyce would have to go off too.

Thankfully it all worked out well with the result as well as fantastic entertainment.

Bazzas right boot

I like it, but our problem has been against the shite, the teams that defend deep and hit it long.

Rangers play attacking and are quite open, as do Aberdeen relative to other teams.

We've had issues v teams that sit in.

Pressing is  good v teams that play from the back but if teams hit it long, it's more about second balls and gaining control of the game, I'm confident we'll do that but it's completely  different form playing a team that is looking to win the game and pass from the back.

Our first goal yesterday, v 10 other teams in the league the rangers player just hits it long or puts it out, because he was looking for a pass we caught them out with the press.

Interesting times tho.

Much stronger now as well, hopefully we can stay injury free.

When Boyce started to limp yesterday!!!!!!

🤪

4 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

I like it, but our problem has been against the shite, the teams that defend deep and hit it long.

Rangers play attacking and are quite open, as do Aberdeen relative to other teams.

Pressing is  good v teams that play from the back but if teams hit it long, it's more about second balls and gaining control of the game, I'm confident we'll do that but it's completely  different form playing a team that is looking to win the game and pass from the back.

Our first goal yesterday, v 10 other teams in the league the rangers player just hits it long or puts it out, because he was looking for a pass we caught them out with the press.

Interesting times tho.

🤪

Just a bit cramp ??

43 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

Stendel called Naismith over to explain the change - according to the telly.

52 minutes ago, heartsfc_fan said:

Having Boyce, Naismith, Ikpeazu and Washington all on the pitch when it was 1-1. Crazy but brilliant 😃

With Berra head punting it up the pitch in the hope it will spill for a maroon jersey.

42 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

As much as they talk a lot of guff on Sportscene they did actually highlight that because of the style of play we were more open to the breakaway attacks as Rangers showed.

Stewart said that because the wingbacks are so high up the pitch it leaves the two centre backs quite exposed.

I reckon that once Sibbick is fully fit he will provide a bit more protection for the defence and the lad is quick and strong.

Yes probably the only part of their coverage worth watching

9 minutes ago, Darren said:

Stendel called Naismith over to explain the change - according to the telly.

Yeah.  That's how I saw it.

I'm guessing he was telling Naismith to drop back into midfield to cover for Bozanic moving, which he then done.

1 minute ago, Lovecraft said:

Yeah.  That's how I saw it.

I'm guessing he was telling Naismith to drop back into midfield to cover for Bozanic moving, which he then done.

Looked to me like Naismith was screaming about who was going to LB . Not totally convinced DS had told Bozanic 

Riddley Walker
2 minutes ago, johnthomas said:

Looked to me like Naismith was screaming about who was going to LB . Not totally convinced DS had told Bozanic 

It was right in front of me, that's what happened. Stendel hadn't passed on who was going to left back and was  cuddling Sibbick while Naismith was going mental trying to find out who was going to LB. 

We're more likely to get chances v the bigger sides because they are playing open, committing men forward and it gives us a chance to counter. 

Problems will come about when we play teams that will park the bus and we'll have to create chances playing through teams. Teams that do this are also got the chance to score from a clearance or a long ball as we try to overload their defence. 

So imo, we need not only to be good at pressing, counter pressing but we still need to improve set plays and probably look to sign a player or two that can create something from nothing. 

1 hour ago, Weakened Offender said:

Not technically correct, he ran across to ask (shout as Daniel was speaking to someone else) who was to move to left back position. 

Footballfirst
53 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

I thought that too.

As well as coaching players when and how to press, Stendel also needs to coach the central defenders in how to handle counter attacks.

It relies very much on the intelligence of the centre backs in their reading of the situation, not to dive in as if they were also part of the press, but to drop off, jockey for position to buy time for others to get back to defend, then try an nick the ball off the attacker. It also helps if the CBs have some pace.

We have seen how effective Liverpool are at it, particularly with Van Dijk's reading of the game.  

1 hour ago, Nicholas Brody said:

Sadly this concept seemed to be alien to previous managers. Playing it safe and 'nicking' a win or 'grinding' out a draw.

Too right. Levein was diabolical in comparison. 

7 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

I thought that too.

As well as coaching players when and how to press, Stendel also needs to coach the central defenders in how to handle counter attacks.

It relies very much on the intelligence of the centre backs in their reading of the situation, not to dive in as if they were also part of the press, but to drop off, jockey for position to buy time for others to get back to defend, then try an nick the ball off the attacker. It also helps if the CBs have some pace.

We have seen how effective Liverpool are at it, particularly with Van Dijk's reading of the game.  

I agree and it will take a bit of time for the CB's to get used to less cover. Souttar has been out for a while and not really played beside Halkett that much so they are still developing their understanding.

We seem to still be playing quite a high line so it is important that we don't play the opposition onside too easily as we did on a few occasions yesterday.

I am sure that will come in time, hopefuly not too long though. 

Even thought Uche looked much better when he came on.

Got some balls to his feet and looked threatening, instead of needing 3/4 touches to control some head high bullet.

He is able to hold players off much easier, without fouling? when the balls on the deck.

1 hour ago, Nicholas Brody said:

It really is that simple eh? 

Just can't understand how anyone who claims to love the game of football can want to play in the style we have done over the past few years. 

jambogirlglasgow

I think the difference will be that Boyce will get goals against the teams that sit in. Look at the Hamilton away game. A proper striker with any composure could have had a hat trick. Then the smaller teams will have to come out and try to score. That’s what I’m hoping for anyway. 

Nicholas Brody

What's annoying is, we always played better when we pressed teams yet Levein seemed to do it so infrequently. 

2 hours ago, heartsfc_fan said:

Totally agree, crazy, brilliant and entertaining. Far better way to play football 

30 minutes ago, Homme said:

It really is that simple eh? 

Just can't understand how anyone who claims to love the game of football can want to play in the style we have done over the past few years. 

The man was a clown. 

MarkDevriesScores4

I actually think the fact that Stendel knows little about Scottish football is massively working in our favour. He doesn’t know how most Managers are expected to set up against the ugly sisters because he doesn’t need to. He doesn’t care and it’s refreshing. He knows how to play fast and attractive football and he doesn’t care that most teams pop one player up front, get everyone else behind the ball and hope for the best. 

Whatever he’s doing, it’s working. You can tell it’s working because the BBC are hating it.

Edited by MarkDevriesScores4

Nicholas Brody
1 minute ago, MarkDevriesScores4 said:

I actually think the fact that Stendel knows little about Scottish football is massively working in our favour. He doesn’t know how most Managers are expected to set up against the ugly sisters because he doesn’t need to. He doesn’t care and it’s refreshing. He knows how to play fast and attractive football and he doesn’t care that most teams pop one player up front, get everyone else behind the ball and hope for the best. 

Whatever he’s doing, it’s working. You can tell it’s working because the BBC are hating it.

I agree with this. Will be refreshing going through to Glasgow and not losing the game before we get on the bus 

If we're playing a team who like to park the bus and hit on the break then the chances are they will be well drilled in how to hurt the other team on the break.    If that's their tactic then it's safe to assume they've worked on it and are good at it.     There's no point being too one dimensional in trying to break these teams down.    They'll settle into a rhythm and be alert for space in behind us.    We would be better to add variety to our style.     Go route one now and again.    Step off the high press every so often and maybe create spaces in areas for a Naismith or a winger to ghost into.    Mix it up a bit.

The hunt in packs, high press works best when the other team has the ball.   You make them lose the ball in dangerous areas.    If you're forced into having possession and facing a well drilled defensive unit then your primary threat is nullified.     You need to exploit the other teams mistakes in possession.    If you settle for retaining possession then you're actually losing the tactical battle.

Playing a high line has a big risk of being exposed especially against good midfielders and good/fast forwards, but it's a gamble worth taking if we have players that can take there chances more than not . It's a game plan that every player has to know what is needed and give 100% as there is no room for any lack if discipline.

We witnessed this on Sunday and in my opinion Daniel has already got the players in with maybe 1 or 2 hopefully to come .I think Daniel will take our club forward.

Last season we had the best defence in league one, we looked really solid, but Sunderland stuck four past us at their place having gone there trying to win the game, so after that night when it came to playing the teams around us Portsmouth, Sunderland again , Doncaster, Luton, he made sure they didn’t take maximum points of us, he didn’t go chasing promotion he just made sure it happened, he knew we didn’t need to beat these teams because, we’d beat the rest of the league, he never panicked he believed in himself and his team. He’ll do the same with you I reckon. 

Edited by NlGHTMARE

August Landmesser
19 hours ago, NlGHTMARE said:

Last season we had the best defence in league one, we looked really solid, but Sunderland stuck four past us at their place having gone there trying to win the game, so after that night when it came to playing the teams around us Portsmouth, Sunderland again , Doncaster, Luton, he made sure they didn’t take maximum points of us, he didn’t go chasing promotion he just made sure it happened, he knew we didn’t need to beat these teams because, we’d beat the rest of the league, he never panicked he believed in himself and his team. He’ll do the same with you I reckon. 

Sounds like Robbie Nielson when we were in the Championship; we beat Rangers and Hibs in our first two games, and then smashed all the other diddies every time we played them. We didn't lose to Hibs or Rangers until after we'd won the league, and were basically on the beach smoking cigars from mid-March.

Lost that mindset along the way, but sounds like DS will get it back.

On 27/01/2020 at 16:36, Smith's right boot said:

Interesting times tho.

🤪

You are totally correct with your 1st 3 paragraphs and it will be interesting to see how we cope in Perth.

A point is not much use (though better than none) to either of us but if we score first they cannot afford to sit in and that should allow us to express ourselves.  If they score firsr, well......

What we need is a ream with a balanced and flexible approach to games but there's no doubt the gung ho style is pleasing on the eye when it works.

Bazzas right boot
5 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

You are totally correct with your 1st 3 paragraphs and it will be interesting to see how we cope in Perth.

A point is not much use (though better than none) to either of us but if we score first they cannot afford to sit in and that should allow us to express ourselves.  If they score firsr, well......

What we need is a ream with a balanced and flexible approach to games but there's no doubt the gung ho style is pleasing on the eye when it works.

Yip, if we score first we can dictate the play. 

Hopefully, with Naismith, Washington, Boyce etc we score more and there is little concern most of the time. 

Guest ToqueJambo
On 27/01/2020 at 08:36, Smith's right boot said:

Interesting times tho.

🤪

And when Sibbick and White (who played well) went off, plus we were missing arguably our two best defenders in Smith and Hickey. Just mental how bad our injuries have been.

As a bit of a tactics geek, it's going to be interesting to see how we play against other teams that will be happy to sit in at Tynecastle (everyone except the OF basically) or if we will play the same system all the time. Even Levein had more success against the better teams that tried to play at least some footballl against us, apart from Rangers obviously. As you say, it's easier to play Stendel's system against those teams.

I'm encouraged by the signing of Sibbick and playing the youngsters who have pace up front. Sibbick has the mobility to get back if teams try to counter attack, but we did get caught a few times vs Rangers. It's probably going to be edge of the seat stuff between now and May anyhow!

Guest ToqueJambo
On 27/01/2020 at 08:03, Nicholas Brody said:

Nicking and grinding out wins against vastly inferior opposition is what the OF have been doing for years. There are games when that's exactly what we will need to do.