Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

So is this right our scientist in charge wants 60% of the country to get the virus with a mortality rate of 1% that's a hell of a lot of deaths.Some gamble

No wonder he wants to keep big sporting events open.

Edited by vegas-voss

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Are people really that bothered if football etc...  gets binned to keep people healthy.  Personally, I was quite sceptical about this, NOW! , Boris and Nicola, do what you have to do. And I for one will shut my fecking mooth.

The positives of corona virus! ;)

Tommy Brown

Rangers vs Celtic POSTPONED as SPFL declares fixtures suspended amid coronavirus chaos

from Daily Record

but announced on ITV all Scottish games postponed also

There's far too much talk about Holidays on this site.

More importantly do we believe The chief Medical officer is correct.

He is wanting 360,00 people to die so the  rest are immune in coming years.

Why is the UK at odds with every other country? 

We need proper medical advice.

2 minutes ago, FORTHCLYDE said:

There's far too much talk about Holidays on this site.

More importantly do we believe The chief Medical officer is correct.

He is wanting 360,00 people to die so the  rest are immune in coming years.

Why is the UK at odds with every other country? 

We need proper medical advice.

At least and they don't even know if you become immune to it seemingly as there are cases of folk having it more than once.

2 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Your last paragraph is a disgrace.
An absolute cop out.

Sad but true though. Qantas announced no refunds until flights are actually banned. Boris will be reluctant to upset big business.

In contrast though KLM contacted me yesterday to say they would honour any ""volountary" cancellations. Good luck getting money back from an insurance company....!

3 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

You might be ok. Despite it being the peak time. If the thing is running loose across Europe, weirdly you might find restrictions get lifted. If you’ve get prior to June, would you really be all that much at risk? 

Albeit it’s really difficult to tell anything right now. 

Doubt it. I also haven't taken out travel insurance yet, and now that Corona is a 'known event', I'm fecked.

I P Knightley

The advise was for gatherings over 500; are Elgin getting above themselves? Do Brechin have a large travelling support?

My lad's under 16 match on Sunday is not (so far) under threat. Typical crowd is approx 20 and 2 of them are dogs. 

3 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

The advise was for gatherings over 500; are Elgin getting above themselves? Do Brechin have a large travelling support?

My lad's under 16 match on Sunday is not (so far) under threat. Typical crowd is approx 20 and 2 of them are dogs. 

They apparently average 612. 

42 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

So is this right our scientist in charge wants 60% of the country to get the virus with a mortality rate of 1% that's a hell of a lot of deaths.Some gamble

Mortality rate globally is up at 7%

Of the known cases at the moment, 9% are in critical condition globally.

Edited by dsk1210

Dean Winchester
38 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

I get the strategy but it's a bit mental when you look at the numbers... 13k a day getting infected would mean we'd have herd immunity in about 10 years.

To put that in perspective Italy have around 13k known active cases just now.

luckyBatistuta

Everyone should be doing there utmost to use contactless payment instead of handling money.

kingantti1874
4 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Everyone should be doing there utmost to use contactless payment instead of handling money.

On a related not - really annoying how you have to touch the screen At self service checkouts 

5 hours ago, Longshanks said:

Probably best to just get the virus sooner rather than later since it is here now.  Get it over with, get yourself immune to it and crack on 

Get it, get over it, get immune and crack on...your optimism is magnificent, best of luck with the second stage

1 minute ago, kingantti1874 said:

On a related not - really annoying how you have to touch the screen At self service checkouts 

Was just about to post that makes the whole thing pointless

4 hours ago, Section Q said:

My wife and I cancelled our holiday the other day without a refund. Hopefully if all air travel is cancelled you'll be reimbursed. Anyone still planning on going overseas at this stage though, is a lunatic....!

Insurance companies are pressing govts to "advise" against travel instead of banning it. This way no refunds are necessary.

If the flight leaves then i'm off to Cologne for a few days next week and with a bit of luck the gig i'm off to will still be on as it's under the 1000 people limit for mass gatherings in Germany at the moment. call me a lunatic! 

7 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Wonder if the fringe festival will be cancelled

Meetings are being had in various places. The chances are it goes ahead but the problem is that a lot of acts won’t want to sign up to it with any kind of uncertainty going on so it may be a slimmed down version. Melbourne comedy festival has just been cancelled. 

kingantti1874
5 minutes ago, Ribble said:

If the flight leaves then i'm off to Cologne for a few days next week and with a bit of luck the gig i'm off to will still be on as it's under the 1000 people limit for mass gatherings in Germany at the moment. call me a lunatic! 

Your a lunatic, massive chances you won’t be able to get on a flight back

luckyBatistuta
11 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Tap the screen with your card mate

Kalamazoo Jambo
48 minutes ago, dsk1210 said:

Mortality rate globally is up at 7%

Of the known cases at the moment, 9% are in critical condition globally.

Evidence for that please. I've not seen anything close to that number.

2 hours ago, kila said:

I have mild symptoms and now in self isolation. Hopefully doesn't get any worse and it's a bearable fever... luckily stocked up lemsips to see me through a few days or so.

The worst I've ever felt is a hangover from a whisky tasting event. This better not head towards that level for me!

You been tested Kila?

1 hour ago, graygo said:

Is the rugby off as well?

1 hour ago, milky_26 said:

wales scotland is still on

51 minutes ago, graygo said:

Mental.

3 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Rugby cancelled

Not mental after all.

luckyBatistuta
2 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

The Masters golf also postponed

Going to be **** all on tv to watch bar James Bond reruns at this rate

🤯

I can put you on to someone who can supply you with 5,000 movies and 2,000 tv shows and all in incredible quality too...should tide you over:thumbsup:

and also cheap as chips

Edited by luckyBatistuta

13 minutes ago, Ribble said:

Best of luck son. But if you don't have to travel then you shouldn't imho. Beginning to think you might be a nutter too.😁

3 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

I can put you on to someone who can supply you with 5,000 movies and 2,000 tv shows and all in incredible quality too...should tide you over:thumbsup:

and also cheap as chips

Haha I do have my Sky so might have to binge on some box sets over the next few weeks/months/years...

Unbelievably one of my team at work came in today with Corona symptoms, told me she had them after being here an hour and said she'd had the symptoms for the last 3 days. Needless to say we are now all bricking it

Kalamazoo Jambo
6 minutes ago, dsk1210 said:

OK, just had a quick look and it seems like that's the number of deaths divided by number of 'closed' cases (not sure how 'closed' cases are determined). I'm not a statistician or epidemiologist but I believe the generally used mortality calculation would be number of deaths divided by total number of reported cases (which would bring the number down significantly). Add in the fact that due to lack of testing in some countries (sigh) the actual number of cases is simply not know (only 'reported' cases are counted), I think it's fair to say that 7% is way too high. The last WHO estimate I saw (March 3) was 3.4% - with a disclaimer that that was based on reported cases only - and Dr Anthony Fauci (who knows more than most) thinks 1% may be a closer estimate if you include all undiagnosed cases. So therefore much worse than the flu (mortality around 0.1%), but not as bad as, say, SARS was.

From the same website that you referenced...

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-death-rate/

7 minutes ago, MrBones said:

Unbelievably one of my team at work came in today with Corona symptoms, told me she had them after being here an hour and said she'd had the symptoms for the last 3 days. Needless to say we are now all bricking it

What an absolute arsehole.

• Maple Leaf changed the title to Coronavirus pandemic
  • davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic