Underrated movies

iantjambo

rudi must stay
5 hours ago, Cade said:

The Fall (2006).

Charming wee film with some amazing cinematography and imagery on show.

Just bought this on your recommendation. If you are into cinematography I recommend Knight Of Cups 

Edited by rudi must stay

13 hours ago, Cade said:

Dark City.

Hugely under-rated and Jennifer Connelly is absolute perfection in it.

yes, very good film. if you have not seen it make sure if you watch it that it is the directors cut that you see.

26 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

yes, very good film. if you have not seen it make sure if you watch it that it is the directors cut that you see.

100% agree.

The theatrical cut with the voiceover basically spoils the entire plot from the very start :vrface:

The secret life of walter Mitty..  new one.

Very family friendly, great scenery. 

Blood father... mel Gibson... great movie.

Kingdom of heaven... great battle movie. 

Kingdom. 

Three billboards outside ebbing Missouri... now I know this won a lone of awards, great acclaim... but so many people I know who haven't watched it.... it's gritty  and amazing... 

Edited by jumpship

rudi must stay
3 hours ago, annushorribilis III said:

I bought this on DVD based on the recommendation of a JKBer many years ago. It is brilliant. 

https://lookmovie.ag/movies/view/the-lives-of-others-2006 - stream it from here. Well worth it. 

Very good yes. Really hits form as it goes along

1 hour ago, Diadora Van Basten said:

Goodbye Lenin

Didnt understand it but yes seemed very good and original 

43 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

The investigation of lying. 

Yes, I like Ricky Gervais.

Invention. Although I like the name investigation better 👍 

annushorribilis III

I need some help on this one.

Years ago on a similar thread someone on here suggested a Canadian gangster type movie and I bought both on DVD. 

I can't find the DVD , I think I loaned it to a neighbour. So,the challenge is , what was the name of the film. From memory it was a one-word title in French. 

The main character is a hoodlum who gets banged up but escapes (to the US , in the sequel).

Not much to go on I know . 

The Castle

Low budget Aussie film about a family fighting the local airport who want to expand and knock down their shitty home. Brilliant. 

To end all wars.

Robert Carlyle POW movie.

Pride.

Set in the miners strike how a gay group of activists and the miners of a village in Wales joined forces during the strike.

Edited by benny

15 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

The investigation of lying. 

Yes, I like Ricky Gervais.

The invention of lying. You can't be that big a fan. 

:troll:

14 hours ago, Smithee said:

The Castle

Low budget Aussie film about a family fighting the local airport who want to expand and knock down their shitty home. Brilliant. 

Brilliant film, an unexpected gem of a comedy. Got a pointless answer too one time watching Pointless for a "Any Film starring Eric Bana" 🙂

16 hours ago, annushorribilis III said:

I need some help on this one.

Years ago on a similar thread someone on here suggested a Canadian gangster type movie and I bought both on DVD. 

I can't find the DVD , I think I loaned it to a neighbour. So,the challenge is , what was the name of the film. From memory it was a one-word title in French. 

The main character is a hoodlum who gets banged up but escapes (to the US , in the sequel).

Not much to go on I know . 

mesrine? 

On 11/01/2020 at 02:40, Jamhammer said:

The Road to Perdition. Sam Mendes directed. Tom Hanks, Paul Newman, Daniel Craig even Jude Law all brilliant. Beautifully shot. An absolute classic

Love this too. Great storyline . One of Tom Hanks greatest performances and a really scarey turn from Jude Law. 

rudi must stay
2 hours ago, Boris said:

Dune.

Even the director, David Lynch, tried to distance himself from it, but I like it.

Apparently a remake coming out this year?

Yes with a top cast. I like the art work for it, and it's Denis Villeneuve who is an excellent director (did the new Blade Runner)

Should be very good 

On 11/01/2020 at 19:48, Space Pirate said:

Great film. Underrated.

61PZ-Ej+28L._AC_SL1029_.jpg

It wasnt that underrated . It won a few prestigious awards. 

21 hours ago, Judge Fudge said:

Death Of Stalin

Exorcist 3

The Lives Of Others

Completely agree regarding " Exorcist 3" it really should have been the follow up to the Exorcist.  And ofcourse it has one of the scariest scenes in any film ive ever seen.  I wont spoil it though ! Its just a very intelligent horror film and so well acted and directed. 

2 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

It wasnt that underrated . It won a few prestigious awards. 

Well, I'm pretty sure not many people have even heard of it to be honest. 

rudi must stay
3 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Love this too. Great storyline . One of Tom Hanks greatest performances and a really scarey turn from Jude Law. 

Should have got an Oscar he is brilliant. A bit of trivia, they did a lot of work (skin pigments and stuff to make him look threatening, it's all on wiki and is very interesting. Basically one of the best looking actors around they had to make him look creepy, now they don't, as the trip said IIRC "he now has that ageing balding look" :D 

4 hours ago, RobboM said:

Brilliant film, an unexpected gem of a comedy. Got a pointless answer too one time watching Pointless for a "Any Film starring Eric Bana" 🙂

You just went up in my estimation 

rudi must stay

Another one as a football fan: Fever Pitch

For me the film that gets what it means to be a fan the best

Edited by rudi must stay

rudi must stay
4 hours ago, RobboM said:

Want  a good daft comedy. Visioneers with Zach Giafannakis. Hilarious film 

47 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Completely agree regarding " Exorcist 3" it really should have been the follow up to the Exorcist.  And ofcourse it has one of the scariest scenes in any film ive ever seen.  I wont spoil it though ! Its just a very intelligent horror film and so well acted and directed. 

George C Scott' has given some great performances, arguably this is one of his best. The build up and pay off in the scene you are alluding to is superb.

Blatty wasn't happy with the title, it should have been Legion, that probably put a lot of people off after the second instalment which was poor.

Jim Carey film. The number 23?

He’s a funny guy obviously but plays the serious roles really well.

This film as far as I am aware didn’t take much acclaim but it’s really good.

19 hours ago, Judge Fudge said:

George C Scott' has given some great performances, arguably this is one of his best. The build up and pay off in the scene you are alluding to is superb.

Blatty wasn't happy with the title, it should have been Legion, that probably put a lot of people off after the second instalment which was poor.

Agreed

Craig Gordons Gloves
On 13/01/2020 at 04:58, benny said:

To end all wars.

Robert Carlyle POW movie.

Pride.

Set in the miners strike how a gay group of activists and the miners of a village in Wales joined forces during the strike.

Really really good movie. Definitely underrated.  

I'll also add The Perks of Being a Wallflower as an underrated movie.