Turning Defences

Balernojambo

Yesterday it was pleasing in the initial stages to see the pressing off the ball.  Obviously, with the poor conditioning they seem to have along with the age of some of the players that fell away in the second half but hopefully this is something Stendel can develop and improve given time and new additions.  This basic pressing of opponents has been non existent in the Levein era and really proves the players have not been playing for him, AM, JD and LF.  They clearly lost the dressing room.

However, one of the biggest areas of concern for me that is obviously going to take longer to fix is our lack of ability to turn defences and attack the wider areas of the pitch.  I have been to every home game this season (no away ones) but from what I have seen every team bar St Mirren has looked so comfortable defensively.   We have absolutely no threat in the wide areas.  This is going to be a real issue for Stendel and much harder to sort than the implementation of gegenpressing. Was nice to see him start with a 4-4-2 but we are really in need of a Hartley type central midfielder and wingers that can attack full backs and get quality crosses into the box.  

RustyRightPeg

I would agree. 

I made a pretty lengthy post to the same effect in the thread about having the power to change the squad what would you do. Lack of width, amongst other things was very apparent yesterday.