Michael Smith New Captain rumour (update: nope)

Hampden Demolition

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jambonian

• wavydavy

• Mikey1874

• AllyjamboDerbyshire

Very interesting if true. Well deserved by Smith.

Would probably spell the end of Berras time with us I would think. Unfortunate as hes been a great servant but his performances this year have been under par.

Thought Police

I’m not sure there’s a need to appoint a new CLUB captain just because Berra isn’t playing very well. Fair enough drop him and give someone else the armband, which happens in other leagues, but I still think Berra best represents the club from a wider perspective.

4 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Excellent.........what would you say to Berra though (no seriously) 

Think berra would be smart enough to know he's been shit for a while and should be nowhere near the first team right now and you cant have the captain on the bench for weeks at a time.

3 minutes ago, busby1985 said:

Think it’s more likely that Smith will captain the side today. Berra will still be club captain. 

Agreed.

We also want to do everything we can to hold onto him.

AllyjamboDerbyshire

I was already thinking that Berra might be a casualty (as in dropped/phased out) of the high press/gegenpressing style as I am sure a much more mobile (not necessarily faster runner) player(s) will be required at the heart of the defence rather than the more traditional centre-half like Berra. I wouldn't be surprised if Smith is given a role where he covers right across the back, something he's shown himself capable of already, and we might see an even better player in him than we have up to now.

Sad that it might be the beginning of the end for Christophe Berra, though.

5 minutes ago, busby1985 said:

Think it’s more likely that Smith will captain the side today. Berra will still be club captain. 

Agreed. Can’t see us making it known we’d stripped Berra of Club captaincy. 

Just now, Whatever said:

Agreed. Can’t see us making it known we’d stripped Berra of Club captaincy. 

Unless Berra has chapped Stendels door and asked for it to be given to Smith. Can’t see any other way this will have happened, if true of course. 

The Future's Maroon
6 minutes ago, busby1985 said:

That what would assume too.

If Berra isn't playing and no Naismith, Smith would be next choice anyway I'd guess.

highlandjambo3
2 minutes ago, Herbert said:

Think berra would be smart enough to know he's been shit for a while and should be nowhere near the first team right now and you cant have the captain on the bench for weeks at a time.

Years ago in another life, I remember being up for promotion at work along with another 2 people (there was only 1 promotion spot available).  So, a couple of days passed and we were asked by the boss to congregate together as a group and, the new appointment was announced.........that was me finding out that it wasn’t me, same as the other unsuccessful person.  I always though there was a better way to do it...I.e. take the two unlucky applicants to the side before the public announcement, that kind of made sense.

Berra for me probably needs that responsibility taken away from him for now so he can fully focus on his own game. In Smith he will trust and it'll maybe ease the pressure off him a bit. Is Smith vocal enough? I don't know. Is he the type that likes a challenge and takes responsibility upon himself? Yes, definitely. Interesting to see how it all pans out.

16 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Thanks for your service but you are not in the correct frame of mind to continue as captain of this club. 

Think Berra would understand that, if this is true.

Prince Buaben
18 minutes ago, Thought Police said:

I’m not sure there’s a need to appoint a new CLUB captain just because Berra isn’t playing very well. Fair enough drop him and give someone else the armband, which happens in other leagues, but I still think Berra best represents the club from a wider perspective.

Agree fully with this. 

Christophe Berra has not been the same player since his injury against Celtic in August of last year. If Christophe is honest with himself he would agree. There was a big decision to be made regards Christophe and it would appear Daniel Stendel has made it.

33 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Thanks for all your help, I'm going to rest you for a bit.

34 minutes ago, Italian Lambretta said:

Makes sense takes the pressure off Berra who has looked totally dejected over the last few weeks

What pressure he hardly acts like a captain on the pitch. I would think that once Souttar is back he will be a bit part player unless he gets a new lease of life under Stendel.

3 minutes ago, Hampden Demolition said:

To be clear it is a rumour so I don’t know whether it’s true or not but it certainly wouldn’t surprise me.

If he is thinking of doing this then now is the time, new broom etc.

1 minute ago, wavydavy said:

What pressure he hardly acts like a captain on the pitch. I would think that once Souttar is back he will be a bit part player unless he gets a new lease of life under Stendel.

Berra isn't getting a new lease of life. He's done unfortunately.

39 minutes ago, Hampden Demolition said:

Rumour going about Smith has been appointed the new club captain.

Absolutely correct decision and M S totally deserves it. 

Just now, RudiHMFC said:

Berra isn't getting a new lease of life. He's done unfortunately.

Shame but correct unfortunately 

Not an accusation aimed at Berra per se but I suspect there has been a malaise / dysfunctional culture within and throughout the squad.    It could take a few forms.    Players existing in a comfort zone,   only putting in the minimum work they can get away with,   maybe even a clique or two.

Changing as many things as can be seen as refreshing the culture of the squad is good.    Later on a few might need a wee cuddle and a few will need a blooter up the hole.

Will be sad if true, although Christophe hasn't been up to his usual high standards for a while now.

If he isn't in Stendels plans for the future, I hope he is kept on at the club in some capacity.

A great ambassador for the club.

20 minutes ago, Marczero said:

Also heard Smith to be played In midfield today !!!

Interesting if true. If it is then i'd go 4-2-3-1

Zlamal

Brandon, Halkett, Berra, Hickey

Smith, Damour

Clare, Bozanic, Walker (if fit)

Uche

Subs: Pereira, Whelan, Keena, McLean, White, Wighton, "youngster"

59 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

If he thinks he still has a claim to it after the last 12 months, I want whatever he's on. 

Another thing is that players probably start to resent being shouted at by a captain who's making a shops of things at regular intervals.    We need a reliable warrior type barking the orders.

13 minutes ago, bairdy said:

Will be sad if true, although Christophe hasn't been up to his usual high standards for a while now.

If he isn't in Stendels plans for the future, I hope he is kept on at the club in some capacity.

A great ambassador for the club.

we've already got plenty dead wood hanging around the club , we don’t need another one. 

Have always had heaps of respect for Berra, but sadly I align him to the regime that we’re trying to punt.  He’s Levein’s player, and has been a huge blind spot for Levein/MacPhee in terms of loyalty.  He’s not getting his form of old back, and a good performance for him these days would have, in relative terms, been a bombscare performance pre injury.

Geoff Kilpatrick
Just now, graygo said:

Hey Christophe, next time you get introduced to someone, anyone, get up of your arse to shake their hand.

yours

Daniel

:spoton:

fabienleclerq
12 minutes ago, jambonian said:

Interesting if true. If it is then i'd go 4-2-3-1

Zlamal

Brandon, Halkett, Berra, Hickey

Smith, Damour

Clare, Bozanic, Walker (if fit)

Uche

Subs: Pereira, Whelan, Keena, McLean, White, Wighton, "youngster"

Zlamal 🙄

1 hour ago, Thought Police said:

New manager should be able to choose the captain.