Michael Smith New Captain rumour (update: nope)

Hampden Demolition

Just now, fabienleclerq said:

Zlamal 🙄

Can make mistakes but also pull off excellent saves. That one against Inverness in the cup semi for example. Pereira flaps about and pushes the ball back into danger areas when he can't save. Zlamal is nowhere near perfect but out of the two, Zlamal would edge it.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jambonian

• wavydavy

• Mikey1874

• Robbo-Jambo

kingantti1874

If Hickey is fit this would be my team ..

perreira (best of a bad bunch)

brandon

smith

halkett

hickey

whelan

Irving

walker

meshino 

Damour

uche

get some legs in the team..

is Morisson injured again? 

2 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

brandon

smith

halkett

hickey

whelan

Irving

walker

meshino 

Damour

uche

No Whelan, Irvine, Ryo, Damour or Uche today.

alwaysthereinspirit
1 hour ago, Italian Lambretta said:

Makes sense takes the pressure off Berra who has looked totally dejected over the last few weeks

"Christophe, we want you concentrating on what made you an international. No messing around defending. Go out and do that. Think about nothing else"

fabienleclerq
8 minutes ago, jambonian said:

Can make mistakes but also pull off excellent saves. That one against Inverness in the cup semi for example. Pereira flaps about and pushes the ball back into danger areas when he can't save. Zlamal is nowhere near perfect but out of the two, Zlamal would edge it.

Pereira is a better keeper, Zlamal uneases the defence. He headbutted Berra Ffs! 

Not a great bunch though I agree 

17 minutes ago, AllyjamboDerbyshire said:

I was already thinking that Berra might be a casualty (as in dropped/phased out) of the high press/gegenpressing style as I am sure a much more mobile (not necessarily faster runner) player(s) will be required at the heart of the defence rather than the more traditional centre-half like Berra. I wouldn't be surprised if Smith is given a role where he covers right across the back, something he's shown himself capable of already, and we might see an even better player in him than we have up to now.

Sad that it might be the beginning of the end for Christophe Berra, though.

In our league it may be different.

Teams counter the press by pumping long a lot, so a big guid in the air type works

12 minutes ago, graygo said:

Hey Christophe, next time you get introduced to someone, anyone, get up of your arse to shake their hand.

yours

Daniel

tbf they had already met and talked the day before. 

but prob still should have stood up

4 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

what’s wrong with them Davie 

Can only guess at that. Combination of fitness and the manager not fancying them/preferring others today.

10 minutes ago, fabienleclerq said:

Pereira is a better keeper, Zlamal uneases the defence. He headbutted Berra Ffs! 

Not a great bunch though I agree 

Agree, not much in it. I just feel that although Zlamal has made a mistake here and there, i'm more confident he'll pull off a save from an opposition player striking the ball hard at him than Pereira would. He (Pereira) so often punches the ball into on-coming players which invites them to have another chance. Zlamal at least tries to get the ball away wide of the play if he can. All the keepers have their flaws unfortunately so we have to go with who we have available.

Edited by jambonian

kingantti1874
1 minute ago, jambonian said:

Agree, not much in it. I just feel that although Zlamal has made a mistake here and there, i'm more confident he'll pull off a save from an opposition player striking the ball hard at him than Pereira would. He (Pereira) so often punches the ball into on-coming players which invites the opposition to another chance. Zlamal at least tries to get the ball away wide of the play if he can. All the keepers have their flaws unfortunately so we have to go with who we have available.

that goal we conceded to Livingston was just about the worst bit of goalkeeping I’ve ever seen in my life..

of course the have been more obvious mistakes, but his positioning was junior football level

10 minutes ago, Dinger said:

tbf they had already met and talked the day before. 

but prob still should have stood up

If only to set an example he should have.

Psychedelicropcircle

Probably seen how the oppo fans got noisy every time their striker was closing in on him & they seen him as the likely candidate to lose the ball in that back four....sad but unfortunately true! 

5 games to give everyone a try out and see what will work next year. If don’t prove them self, have to go. 
I wouldn’t rule anyone out until they had had a chance under the new manager. 

Just now, Psychedelicropcircle said:

Probably seen how the oppo fans got noisy every time their striker was closing in on him & they seen him as the likely candidate to lose the ball in that back four....sad but unfortunately true! 

If true Berra can concentrate on his own game. He's still a senior player. 

1 hour ago, John Findlay said:

Christophe Berra has not been the same player since his injury against Celtic in August of last year. If Christophe is honest with himself he would agree. There was a big decision to be made regards Christophe and it would appear Daniel Stendel has made it.

Spot on! 

Thought Police
42 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

New manager should be able to choose the captain. 

When on earth does that happen outside when Berra got it because Kitchen was getting the heave-ho?

English teams would be changing their captains every 4 months 

Edited by Thought Police

53 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

brandon

smith

halkett

hickey

whelan

Irving

walker

meshino 

Damour

uche

Liking that team. 👍

27 minutes ago, Sid said:

5 games to give everyone a try out and see what will work next year. If don’t prove them self, have to go. 
I wouldn’t rule anyone out until they had had a chance under the new manager. 

Yes, fresh start for all. Some I think are beyond it, McLean and White spring to mind, but others like Damour, Clare and Dikamona, all younger can perhaps turn it around, if only to prove to themselves they're good enough. Can't make up my mind on Wighton, part of me says nope, he's not the standard we need, a lesser part says he has a bit of pace and Stendel might think he's worth looking at, especially playing an attacking style. I don't know. Hasn't impressed me any time I've seen him in all honesty. Time will tell.

2 hours ago, Diadora Van Basten said:

Hope that’s not true. Berra has been a great servant and doesn’t deserve to have the captaincy taken off him.

But he has also been hopeless this season and shows zero leadership. Happy for him to be club captain, but he is no longer the leader he once was on the pitch. 

1 minute ago, innerjambo said:

But according to a previous poster, half that team are not playing apparently.

Calling b s on that posters team 😏

I love Berra but he shouldn’t be a starter for us once Souttar and/or Haring are back. We can’t have a back up as our captain. Smith deserves it.

Edited by DarioHMFC

2 hours ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Years ago in another life, I remember being up for promotion at work along with another 2 people (there was only 1 promotion spot available).  So, a couple of days passed and we were asked by the boss to congregate together as a group and, the new appointment was announced.........that was me finding out that it wasn’t me, same as the other unsuccessful person.  I always though there was a better way to do it...I.e. take the two unlucky applicants to the side before the public announcement, that kind of made sense.

I was up for promotion and failed three times before I finally got it. Twice I was told, in person alone and once by phone call. If that had been done in public on each occasion there would have been witnesses to me losing my shit. I hope, if true Berra either asked to be relieved of it or was told in private.

1 hour ago, RudiHMFC said:

Berra isn't getting a new lease of life. He's done unfortunately.

Probably true but I was giving him the benefit of the doubt.

21 minutes ago, jambonian said:

Yes, fresh start for all. Some I think are beyond it, McLean and White spring to mind, but others like Damour, Clare and Dikamona, all younger can perhaps turn it around, if only to prove to themselves they're good enough. Can't make up my mind on Wighton, part of me says nope, he's not the standard we need, a lesser part says he has a bit of pace and Stendel might think he's worth looking at, especially playing an attacking style. I don't know. Hasn't impressed me any time I've seen him in all honesty. Time will tell.

Playing players in roles best suited to them makes absolute sense and a new coach might just be the incentive some of these players like Wightoin need to kickstart their careers.

22 minutes ago, RudiHMFC said:

Berra isn't getting a new lease of life. He's done unfortunately.

He needs to be given the opportunity to get himself fully fit - if he can. Hopefully the January lay off will help otherwise he may well be finished at this level.

AllyjamboDerbyshire
1 hour ago, TheBigO said:

Teams counter the press by pumping long a lot, so a big guid in the air type works

I'm no student of tactics but I'd imagine that playing the high press means the defenders have to position themselves further upfield otherwise there'll be a big hole in midfield for the opposition to exploit. That would leave a big space behind resulting in defenders having to turn and run back more often and also cover for fullbacks on either side. I'd love to be proved wrong and for Berra to find his best form in whatever role Stendel assigns him, coz an on-form Berra is a big asset for Hearts.

2 hours ago, jonnothejambo said:

Christophe would be the first to admit that he hasn't been playing well and he could not complain if he was not selected. He hasn't been the same player since his bad injury against Celtic. When Souttar is fit he will be paired with Halkett I reckon.

What I don't like is the sarcastic comments and sniping at Berra in previous threads. He has been a fine player for Hearts over the years and he bleeds maroon. He deserves a bit more respect. 

Great post, Jonno.  Totally agree.

AllyjamboDerbyshire
1 hour ago, TheBigO said:

You mean like St Mirren did a few weeks ago. I'm sure the positioning of defenders will be a major factor in the high press and starting from an advanced position, as opposed to sitting further back and attacking the ball as it comes from opponents half, didn't show Berra in a good light. Of course, until the system is practiced and working to Stendel's satisfaction (if it ever will be) he may feel that there is a role for Berra as a more traditional centre-half. As I said previously, though, I hope a role can be found for big Christophe as not only is he a damned good player, I really like the guy and he clearly loves the Hearts.

Leveins Battalion
4 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Whelan starts.

Uche, Damour, Meshino on bench.

He killed the Stendel thread aswell 🤣🤣

1 hour ago, AllyjamboDerbyshire said:

I'm no student of tactics but I'd imagine that playing the high press means the defenders have to position themselves further upfield otherwise there'll be a big hole in midfield for the opposition to exploit. That would leave a big space behind resulting in defenders having to turn and run back more often and also cover for fullbacks on either side. I'd love to be proved wrong and for Berra to find his best form in whatever role Stendel assigns him, coz an on-form Berra is a big asset for Hearts.

I'd say you're right on that mate, I'd expect a pretty high line. But every bye kick, keeper kick etc will go long against us (not unusual in Scotland i guess), and we'll need to win those first headers.

What do we know though!!! Wait n see i suppose!!!

It should have been ten
6 hours ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Excellent.........what would you say to Berra though (no seriously) 

“Bolt Christophe, yer shite!!!”

Edited by It should have been ten