Berra Captain

steve123

Naismith club captain for me, he is our best player, he's won titles and trophies and he's a natural leader for me vocally and in the way he plays.

Naismith and Berra argue constant over Berra’s lack of voice on the park. We can’t have a captain who’s never on the park tho. I’d give it Smith. 

Think Halkett has potential to be a good captain, his performances have dipped recently but could possibly thrive with added responsibility.   

Naismith sadly isn’t on the park often enough.   

Whelan/Smith other worthy candidates. 

I love Christophe. He’s struggling a wee bit, but possibly as a consequence of the team or  possibly down to him/confidence. 

What you can’t ever say is s that he’s not 100% Hearts. Came back to us when we couldn’t really afford him and he’s given is his lot.

Fans turning on him disgust me. One of our own and a 100 per center.

Personally I think just leave it with Berra. When he is not playing Naismith can be captain. 

I think people exaggerate the role of captain. If players want to be a leader on the park, go ahead and do it, you don’t need an armband to do it. 

Bridge of Djoum
3 hours ago, steve123 said:

This is not a thread to slate Berra ( and please don't comment if that is what you are going to do )  as I think he has been fantastic for us before being struck by injury - the questions is do people think he will still be captain in new regime ? 

Has to be Michael Smith. Reliable, experienced. I’ll never abuse Berra, or any Hearts player, but he’s done. A captain needs to inspire through performance, desire and leadership. I don’t think Christophe can do that anymore. 

Bridge of Djoum
3 hours ago, Captain Canada said:

I think he might remain club captain but will be replaced by someone as team captain who plays every week e.g. Smith 

There you go. Probably the correct and most likely scenario. 

Bridge of Djoum
14 minutes ago, TheOak88 said:

Personally I think just leave it with Berra. When he is not playing Naismith can be captain. 

I think people exaggerate the role of captain. If players want to be a leader on the park, go ahead and do it, you don’t need an armband to do it. 

We need someone who plays regularly. I don’t think SN can right now. 

1 minute ago, Bridge of Djoum said:

We need someone who plays regularly. I don’t think SN can right now. 

Then it stays with Berra. 

Bridge of Djoum
1 minute ago, TheOak88 said:

Then it stays with Berra. 

Many agree he shouldn’t be playing at the moment, though. Guess that’s a call for the new boss. I genuinely think, injuries permitting, Berra wouldn’t be starting if all fit.  

Signing a RB in January would free Smith to play alongside Halkett, our best pairing at the moment with Souttar out. IMO.

PhoenixHearts

Great player and some bad luck with injuries, but he's not really captain material. Not anymore.

So many times after a defensive lapse or a conceded goal I've seen him shrugging or putting his arms up like "what are you looking at me for". It's just not really he body language you want to see from a captain.

He doesn't assert himself and he's not the dominant presence he once was.

I don't know what he's like in the dressing room or on the training pirch, but from where I'm sat he doesn't seem like a leader of men. 

Of course this could all just be a further symptom of the malaise that has befallen us this season, but I'd give the armband to Michael Smith if Naisy can't stay fit.

Pasquale for King
19 hours ago, busby1985 said:

Naismith and Berra argue constant over Berra’s lack of voice on the park. We can’t have a captain who’s never on the park tho. I’d give it Smith. 

He regularly misses games too though and suffers from cramp in most games according to Berra.

8 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

He regularly misses games too though and suffers from cramp in most games according to Berra.

Who Smith? Not surprised at cramp, normally comes with a squad that’s not fit. 

Pasquale for King
51 minutes ago, busby1985 said:

Who Smith? Not surprised at cramp, normally comes with a squad that’s not fit. 

Yeah, usually with someone who eats unhealthy foods and doesn’t get proper rest apparently.

If/when Souttar is fit I don’t see Berra being in the team.

We all knew his passing out of defence was limited but his positional sense seems to have gone out of the window. It’s sad to see the number of significant mistakes he’s making these days. That’s probably knocked his confidence enough to stop him being a leader on the pitch.

Other than Naismith, I don’t see any obvious candidates.

hearts attack
3 hours ago, Fort Vallance said:

Having a tough time form wise but still a proper captain.

I agree with this. When he returned from his injury he was playing week in and week out when he should have had time to ease himself back from what was a horrific injury. Like some others, it pains me to see people turn against him. Yes, he probably does need a break from playing but he has put himself through a hell of a lot just to keep going. His presence in the team is, in my opinion, very important and will continue to be so for some time to come.

pettigrewsstylist
On 08/12/2019 at 21:32, buzzbomb said:

I love Christophe. He’s struggling a wee bit, but possibly as a consequence of the team or  possibly down to him/confidence. 

What you can’t ever say is s that he’s not 100% Hearts. Came back to us when we couldn’t really afford him and he’s given is his lot.

Fans turning on him disgust me. One of our own and a 100 per center.

Agreed but age creeps up on us all. He needs to improve soon

pettigrewsstylist
On 08/12/2019 at 22:27, PhoenixHearts said:

Great player and some bad luck with injuries, but he's not really captain material. Not anymore.

So many times after a defensive lapse or a conceded goal I've seen him shrugging or putting his arms up like "what are you looking at me for". It's just not really he body language you want to see from a captain.

He doesn't assert himself and he's not the dominant presence he once was.

I don't know what he's like in the dressing room or on the training pirch, but from where I'm sat he doesn't seem like a leader of men. 

Of course this could all just be a further symptom of the malaise that has befallen us this season, but I'd give the armband to Michael Smith if Naisy can't stay fit.

Dont  think he has ever looked comfortable with captaincy. Wouldnt be my choice.

2 hours ago, hearts attack said:

I agree with this. When he returned from his injury he was playing week in and week out when he should have had time to ease himself back from what was a horrific injury. Like some others, it pains me to see people turn against him. Yes, he probably does need a break from playing but he has put himself through a hell of a lot just to keep going. His presence in the team is, in my opinion, very important and will continue to be so for some time to come.

Sorry Christophe but, IMO, for you and a few others, the boat has already sailed. 

Berra was vocal enough before he got his injury, the first major one in his career apparently and I think it's knocked him sideways. He seems quite, I don't know....distant maybe and not looking himself. The down turn in form really has had an effect on the whole squad and as others have said, they look rudderless and completely at a loss on what to do.

The good thing about a new appointment is that it's a fresh start for all the players, good or bad. Stendel will take a vey close look at what he has available and make his own decisions. Berra, like many others may just be needing some leadership, a new style of football and new challenge after years of mundane-ness and seemingly acceptance of mid-table obscurity. We don't have the money to afford to get rid of everyone straight away so it'll be a long process. Lets just get the seatbelts on and expect a turbulent ride.

Thought Police
12 hours ago, hearts attack said:

I thought for a while that his injury was hampering him. However, I now don't understand how an injury can lead to an impulse to whack the ball aimlessly whenever it comes near him. Several times on Wednesday he could have taken a touch and instead just ballooned it out the park.

23 minutes ago, steve123 said:

Not sure myself now, Stendel says in his interview he has spoken to our Captain or something along those lines !!

"skipper"