Berra Captain

steve123

This is not a thread to slate Berra ( and please don't comment if that is what you are going to do )  as I think he has been fantastic for us before being struck by injury - the questions is do people think he will still be captain in new regime ? 

I don’t think he will be. Unlucky for him as he’s a really good representative for the club but playing wise he seems to be on a pretty steep decline. Stendel will be looking for a consistent leader on the park I feel. Michael Smith could be a shoe in from that side of things

This will be a difficult choice for the new management as Berra and his dramatic decline in performance and likely to play less due to his age. 

On the other hand removing him as captain could unsettle the squad even more than it already is. 

Tough call. 

I don't think he is a particularly vocal leader, and for the last 30+ games he certainly hasn't been leading by example. I'd question whether he'd be in the team if everyone is fit, especially with the style of play Stendel played previously. 

Naismith would be a better choice at the moment. Obviously he's not fit often though. None of the rest seem well suited to me. 

There's also the issue of changes unsettling/embarrassing people. 

I would be surprised ifthey stripped him of the club captaincy  before the end of the season. 

Depending on Stendels thinking it could be that Berra may struggle for game time so a stand in Captain would be required if Berra is (deservedly) dropped,  which he should be BTW 

The Hogfather

I'm not convinced changing our captain mid-season would have a positive knock on effect for the teams morale. But I have no insight into the current dressing room so it could go either way. 

I wouldn't change captain at this point in the season, but I would have a meeting with him to discuss his leadership skills.

1 minute ago, Herbert said:

Naismith is my choice for captain.

Without a doubt, but need a captain on the pitch not on the treatment table. For that reason Michael Smith. Always liked the captain at the back who can see the whole game in front of them

I'm not sure Berra really is captain material anymore either.   Need a vocal leader on the park and he seems quiet and even withdrawn somewhat.   Time for a change,  might be the best thing for Berras game too. 

Just now, Captain Canada said:

I think he might remain club captain but will be replaced by someone as team captain who plays every week e.g. Smith 

This seems like the best way to do it. Shows respect to a player who has put his body on the line time and time again for us and has suffered a serious injury as a result. Still has a good game in him but needs to be used more sparingly. Smith is always very vocal, not afraid to hand out a bollocking and plays more or less week in week out

He shouldn't be. And it's not slating, it's an honest critique, he hasn't been good enough to play regularly in the starting 11, which is the most fundamental thing for anyone at any club who should ever be considered for the role 

Jambof3tornado

Do we have a better player to come in to the centre half position? If the answer is no, which unfortunately it is imo, then he will remain captain.

Naismith wont play every week.

Tough shout to be fair.

5 minutes ago, Thommo414 said:

He shouldn't be. And it's not slating, it's an honest critique, he hasn't been good enough to play regularly in the starting 11, which is the most fundamental thing for anyone at any club who should ever be considered for the role 

I agree 100% just did not want this to be a Berra slagging thread !!

Edited by steve123

Smith should be captain.

Naismith might shout more but he doesn’t play enough games.

i think if you were to sit down with Berra he would know the armband should be passed on. 

Just now, Jambof3tornado said:

Do we have a better player to come in to the centre half position? If the answer is no, which unfortunately it is imo, then he will remain captain.

Naismith wont play every week.

Tough shout to be fair.

For me we’d do better with Halkett and Smith as the central pairing 

Jambof3tornado
Just now, BigAlim said:

For me we’d do better with Halkett and Smith as the central pairing 

It would be worth having a try certainly. 

Halkett could be a good shout, assuming he settles down in the team and continues his recovery and plays every match(which he was brought in to do).

Apart from the coin toss and the more obvious Naismith style barking orders/kicking folk up the backside, etc. what else does the captain actually do? Are there specific less obvious duties that we (as punters) don’t see between whistles on a match day?

If his continued fitness, and therefore availability, was more certain, it should be Naisy in my opinion.

Edited by Morgan

Worthing Jambo
2 minutes ago, Jambof3tornado said:

It would be worth having a try certainly. 

Halkett could be a good shout, assuming he settles down in the team and continues his recovery and plays every match(which he was brought in to do).

Smith was certainly barking out instructions yesterday.

Defence much better with him in the middle.

Thought Police
28 minutes ago, Herbert said:

Naismith is my choice for captain.

Who’s your choice of players who play regularly?

2 minutes ago, Thought Police said:

Who’s your choice of players who play regularly?

This is an interesting one, as good as Naismith obviously is will be interesting to se Stendel's opinion of him ...

7 minutes ago, Morgan said:

If his continued fitness, and therefore availability, was more certain, it should be Naisy in my opinion.

A player who has been missing more than Berra? 

2 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

A player who has been missing more than Berra? 

Yes, him.

That’s why I said if his ‘fitness and availability’ were more certain. :thumbsup:

Is not a difficult decision at all. 

The players have failed two management teams. He is the leader of the players, hence why he is captain. He has failed as captain.

Give it to either Whelan, Naismith or Halkett. 3 natural leaders.

Who else is there ?  Naismith is always injured and Whelan has enough on his plate.

possibly Smith , but I really don’t think captain is a big deal nowadays. 

2 minutes ago, OTT said:

Is not a difficult decision at all. 

The players have failed two management teams. He is the leader of the players, hence why he is captain. He has failed as captain.

Give it to either Whelan, Naismith or Halkett. 3 natural leaders.

Its a decision that needs to be made though.....

Shouldn't be in the starting 11 if everyone is fit so shouldn't be captain.

Not a great leader especially since his own performances are way off what's expected. 

Hopefully replaced soon. 

If Stendel truly is his own man and isn’t to be undermined or influenced by the previous regime, then Berra shouldn’t be in the starting 11 let alone captain.  Let him be club captain, but he shouldn’t captain the team on the park.  That should be Naismith’s gig (or Smith in his absence).

I'm hopeful there will be an element of rejuvenation for Berra under the new management team. I got the feeling he maybe wasn't too enamoured by the previous regime.

To answer your question , yes he will remain club captain till the end of the season at least . Doesn't necessarily mean he'll play every week though 

27 minutes ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Those saying Smith, how often have you heard him on the pitch??

He is a consistent player but no captain.

Hard to tell sometimes how vocal players are but he just doesn’t strike me as captain material. 

I think in time it could be Halkett. Has a bit attitude about him, pretty self confident. 

Obviously, he’s got to turn in the performances on a consistent basis but I have confidence in him that he will.  

As the Captain, needs to put his hand up and admit for the benefit of the club, his team-mates and the new management that he is longer fit to be either.....Captain......or to start every week.....this would show him to be a true Captain. Needs to play the Dikamona role going forward......warming the bench

SomethingAboutObua

Don’t some teams have a “club” captain and a “team” captain? Club captain is the captain but maybe doesn’t play every week, too old or injury prone but at the club a long time and is good for the changing room and morale etc, so there’s also a team captain, the guy on the pitch everyone listens to, plays week in week out but maybe doesn’t have he off-field duties the club captain has like showing new players around the club, not as much of a go to guy as a captain needs to be. 

Can see that being Berra and whoever Stendel chooses (fans would assume Naismith I suppose) 

A_A wehatethehibs

Keep him as club captain but bench him. He needs to see if he can get his hunger and concentration back because his individual performances and errors are arguably what ultimately cost Craig Levein his job. He has had one of the worst seasons I can ever remember from any Hearts defender, must have cost us about 10 points. But you can have a club captain who doesn’t play every game. Someone else picks up the match captaincy, Michael Smith for me 

Most of our captain candidates are regularly injured, alas.

Berra is most consistently on the pitch. Naismith, Haring, Souttar and Halkett are having bad injury-filled seasons. Should they all be back, I'd pick Naismith. Not sure about Smith.

Dagger Is Back

For me it takes more than being vocal on the pitch to be a team captain. Naismith never shuts his trap and is a good player. Team captain? I’m not so sure. Comes across as a narky, moaning player. Is that captain material? Players are motivated in different ways. Does Naismith do that? I don’t know.

I’ll be honest. Berras my kind of player. Brave and wholehearted. 

Berra hasn’t been the same player since his injury but I do see him being hung out to dry. He’ll defend all day long and if you’re 1-0 with 20 minutes to go and they’re shelling the ball into your box, Berra’s your man.

His confidence seems to have taken a severe dunt. Whether that’s the injury, players around him or tactics who knows?

Hung out to dry? His distribution has never been great. He’s an old fashioned defender.

Why then does our midfield more often than not, not only leave him with the ball

in ‘those’ positions but actually move away from him, limiting his options very often to only the long ball.

On Wednesday I was looking for our defensive MF to drop and take the ball. More often than not, they didn’t.

Much for our new boy to ponder. He’ll need time, luck, patience and backing

1 hour ago, Captain Canada said:

I think he might remain club captain but will be replaced by someone as team captain who plays every week e.g. Smith 

that would be the best thing to do.