Souness the player

Maroon Sailor

Maroon Sailor

Got a cheek to say he gets embarrassed when he sees some of those ...... erm tackles now

Outright thug and over shadows just how good a player he was.

The Old Tolbooth

It was a totally different game back then, players today wouldn't last 5 minutes back then, Souness was a brilliant football player, but he was also a hatchet man, every team needed one back then, the list of hatchet men was endless, my favourite Souness moment was when he looked to see if the referee was looking in a Scotland v England game at Hampden, ha wasn't, so he held Mills down and throttled him as play raged upfield, no action taken, Mills didn't go near him the rest of the game and Scotland won 1-0 :D 

Great player. Saw an interview when he was talking about some of his tackles. He said that back then (and whether for Liverpool or Scotland) opposition hard men would always smash through Dalglish in the first ten minutes. They got one warning but if they did it again...

14 minutes ago, Musemic said:

He was a helluva player but he wouldn't last 5 minutes* in today's game.

* unless he was playing for one of the uglies in the SPL, of course

He absolutely would last for 90 minutes and get picked for Scotland. He was much more than a hatchet man, had vision, constantly made himself available, plenty skill too. He'd make a fifty yard run just to enable a team-mate make an easy pass. Like Whelan, he looked to be on the ball and influence things. Proactive, in other words. 

Seymour M Hersh

One of the finest passers of the bar I've ever seen playing for LFC. Wonderful player but also an old school hard man in football terms. As Dave Mackay was his hero I suggest he modelled his game on Mackay. 

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic
40 minutes ago, Musemic said:

He was a helluva player but he wouldn't last 5 minutes* in today's game.

* unless he was playing for one of the uglies in the SPL, of course

True. He lasted 30-odd minutes of his Rangers debut. 😄

Fantastic player. One of the reasons Liverpool were so dominant - their hatchet man was also a brilliant player. 

58 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Was a man’s game. Only sent off 3 times in his career. 

He was a great player. 

He was voted the Dirtiest Player in English Football by his peers a few years ago!

An award he richly deserved.

59 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Was a man’s game. Only sent off 3 times in his career. 

He was a great player. 

He was superb great shot on him and hard as nails an absolute winner 

As others have said different era just look at the fairy neymar 

45 minutes ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

George McCluskey. completely emptied in Souness first game.

:greggy:

Studs stuck into McCluskey’s knee as he looked him in the face - thug!

1 minute ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

He was voted the Dirtiest Player in English Football by his peers a few years ago!

Also inducted into the English & Scottish Football Hall of Fame, PFA team of the year 4 times on the bounce, PFA team of the Century... he likes to win even at being the biggest hacking *******! 

5 minutes ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

Ahead of Franny Lee, Ron 'Chopper' Harris even Julian Dicks (who truly was an animal!!!)???? Another that comes to mind is Terry Hurlock.

Hate to think where football is going now in terms of softening.    20 years time you won't be allowed to tackle and every thowin will be checked for var. 😢

Was one of the best players in a brilliant Liverpool team. (Feel dirty for saying that). The Scotland team he played in was also very good. (As a Welshman I need to go and have a shower after saying that)

He was a thug. 

Yes a great passer of the ball. I loved how he would always trap it, slow the game down and then play a through ball that ratcheted up the pace. Order of Events:  Get it to Kenny, Kenny holds up and get your runners near him for the shot on goal = umpteen league titles. 

But my praise has to stop there. He was known for going for players who were carrying an injury or coming back from one. That, to me, is a punch below the belt. For the memories, time stamped this famous moment in his career. Hit it. 

number witheld
2 hours ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

One of the finest passers of the bar I've ever seen playing for LFC. Wonderful player but also an old school hard man in football terms. As Dave Mackay was his hero I suggest he modelled his game on Mackay. 

He was a lawyer as well as a footballer? 

Seymour M Hersh
Just now, number witheld said:

He was a lawyer as well as a footballer? 

No not a lawyer but he was superb at walking past a bar without getting a round in!! :laugh::phface:

2 hours ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

😉

Immense football player who was also more than happy to pinpoint the opposition bully and eh....  bully them 😁 

It's sad the way the game has gone. 

Selkirkhmfc1874

Brilliant player ! He played when football was a mans game unlike today's game where they trying to take tackling out of the game and playses diving around like wee girls 

SectionDJambo

There was a story about Souness when he was at Sampdoria. 

Luca Vialli was a young star in their team. The Argentine hard man, Passarella, whilst playing against Sampdoria, tried to be the hard man on wee Vialli. Souness sorted him out during the game, to let on he wasn't going to have it.

After the game, Passarella told the Italian press he was going to get Souness next time they met on the field.  Souness replied, when asked for his reaction, that he was more afraid of missing the team bus for training, than coming up against Passarella again.

I remember reading a story about Liverpool playing a Bulgarian team and Souness did a few tasty tackles in the home leg. The management told him they wouldn’t play him in the 2nd leg as they were through and the Bulgarians were going to kick lumps out of him in revenge. He insisted on playing with the logic that if they were after him it would leave more room for other players. His legs were in bits at the end of the game with blood all over his socks. Hard, not just a bully. 

8 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Got a cheek to say he gets embarrassed when he sees some of those ...... erm tackles now

A feckin animal

Pasquale for King

Great player, animal, hard man. He then got his ears pinned back and Botox injections on his face, vain *******. Not popular down Liverpool way. 

15 hours ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

How can he be a thug for going through a Hibee ****......hes a hero...

Stephane Grappelli
19 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Spot on. Got away with murder up here because he played for the Ibrox filth.

Great player whose skills would see him through in today's game....

That said, from what I'm told Dave Mackay was better in every aspect of the game in skills and true hardness and not in the cowardly way Souness was.

9 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Great player, animal, hard man. He then got his ears pinned back and Botox injections on his face, vain *******. Not popular down Liverpool way. 

My mother in law told me years ago Souness had a hair transplant. 

He does appear to have a thicker thatch now right enough. 

Not sure how I would feel at him being considered for our manager.

He would certainly have the boys shit scared NOT to a put in a performance thats for sure. I dont think players like Clare would last very long. 

Would he still have allegiances to Rangers?

28 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

Not sure how I would feel at him being considered for our manager.

He would certainly have the boys shit scared NOT to a put in a performance thats for sure. I dont think players like Clare would last very long. 

Would he still have allegiances to Rangers?

I think what guys like Souness and Keane have found out is that physical aggression carries very little weight in the dressing room.

Even in a training gamethey can't go through a player because they think he is lazy, and get away with it.

Pasquale for King
4 hours ago, smiler said:

My mother in law told me years ago Souness had a hair transplant. 

He does appear to have a thicker thatch now right enough. 

Yeah now you say it he was thinning a bit too.