Souness the player

Maroon Sailor

Pasquale for King
4 hours ago, DETTY29 said:

Great player whose skills would see him through in today's game....

That said, from what I'm told Dave Mackay was better in every aspect of the game in skills and true hardness and not in the cowardly way Souness was.

I’m sure even Souness would say that.https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/graeme-souness-recalls-fond-childhood-in-gorgie-but-reckons-hearts-have-it-tough-with-liverpool-1-2479792

This is a good article too.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2008/jul/04/1

Edited by Pasquale for King

been here before

Brilliant player, one of the best this country has ever produced. Took no shit and got his retaliation in first. The game was so much better back when you were allowed to dish it out and take it in equal measure. Christ you were even allowed to tackle.

Roy Keane would have lasted about 2 minutes with him and as for modern day hardman Broonaldo...   :rofl:

To stand out in that Liverpool team of the late 70s and 80s is a sign of how good he was.

Lost a bit of credibilty in Liverpool after selling the story of his bypass to the Sun.

Would love to have seen him in a maroon jersey.though.

On 21/11/2019 at 15:47, Robbo-Jambo said:

George McCluskey. completely emptied in Souness first game.

:greggy:

I know the er tackle you are referring to. He almost killed him :qqb006:

3 hours ago, Marvin said:

I know the er tackle you are referring to. He almost killed him :qqb006:

Aye right. That dirty H1B5 ***** kneed him on the studs. 

13 hours ago, Pans Jambo said:

Not sure how I would feel at him being considered for our manager.

He would certainly have the boys shit scared NOT to a put in a performance thats for sure. I dont think players like Clare would last very long. 

Would he still have allegiances to Rangers?

Stated a few years back he'd only come back here to manage a Hearts/Hibs merged club. That and his Hearts/Rangers supporter bullshit makes him a twat, PJ.

Imo, of course.

SpruceBringsteen

Was at school with my old man. Was a kiddy on Hearts fan, then took every single thing the hun could give, and became every single thing a hun could be.

Why is there a thread about him on here?

16 hours ago, smiler said:

He really was a fantastic player.

Was also a Hearts man growing up. 

He plays down the Hearts connection in his most recent book and claims to have gone through to Glasgow to support Rangers for their big games, wrapped in a Union Jack. Sounds like a bit of convenient porkie to me, especially given that he grew up in Gorgie.

People who say he wouldn't last 90 minutes today, I would counter that with the fact that he's not an idiot and would of course adapt his game.

Maroon Sailor
2 hours ago, SpruceBringsteen said:

Was at school with my old man. Was a kiddy on Hearts fan, then took every single thing the hun could give, and became every single thing a hun could be.

Why is there a thread about him on here?

So people like you can post on it

Does any else remember in the mid 90s, he was heading a consortium to buy hearts from the pie man? I hope someone remembers because if not it means I am delusional.

been here before
17 minutes ago, superjack said:

Does any else remember in the mid 90s, he was heading a consortium to buy hearts from the pie man? I hope someone remembers because if not it means I am delusional.

There was a rumour about it but I think thats all it ever was.

The Easter Road debut challenge was brilliant. Putting the hun thing to the side, he's brought up in a Hearts family in Saughton, returns home after lording it around England and Europe for the previous decade and the first thing he does is lay out the vermin tramp.

What's not to like?

39 minutes ago, pablo said:

The Easter Road debut challenge was brilliant. Putting the hun thing to the side, he's brought up in a Hearts family in Saughton, returns home after lording it around England and Europe for the previous decade and the first thing he does is lay out the vermin tramp.

What's not to like?

When expressed this way, he deserves the Freedom of the City. 

On 21/11/2019 at 15:55, Seymour M Hersh said:

One of the finest passers of the bar I've ever seen playing for LFC. Wonderful player but also an old school hard man in football terms. As Dave Mackay was his hero I suggest he modelled his game on Mackay. 

Great player.He did model himself on DM,Mackay took him under his wing when he was at Spurs.