Cycling through the winter - how to stay warm?

I P Knightley

I P Knightley

Are any of JKB's cyclists able to give me hints as to how best to keep fingers and toes warm? 

I do a cycle commute three or four days a week, covering 20km in each direction. As the weather's turned colder, I've been reminded that my toes and fingers get REALLY cold. Fingers not too bad, I have neoprene type (Altura NightVision) gloves and I suppose I could invest in glove liners when it gets colder. My toes, though, are like blocks of ice. I wore two pairs of socks this morning but I'm not helped by the fact that my SPD cycling shoes are vented, I suppose for the summer. 

I hope that some of you lot who cycle in and around Edinburgh will have helpful tips. Are there magic socks or special cycling shoes that work?

Waterproof shoe covers? Might not = windproof - I'm not sure how much, if any, that would help...just offering a suggestion. I'm not yet a winter cyclist.

adambraejambo

Sealskinz socks. Whilst I not do much cycling in winter my son does and he uses these. They have water and wind proof socks and over boots. They are fairly expensive though at 30/40 pounds a pair. 

been here before

Overshoes are the answer. Waterproof ones ideally but a decent pair equates to toastie feet.

Theres loads of options out there. Ive a pair of Altura ones that Ive had for over 10 years and theyve seen me through a few harsh winter snow storms and ensuing slush in that time.

Truth be told theyre wrecked and need replaced but Ive got quite fond of them but Im not sure if theyll see another year out. Im currently looking at these...

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/dhb-extreme-weather-neoprene-overshoe/rp-prod163615

Always bear in mind what youll be putting them over when you order them. Im a size 10 and cycle in sturdy waterproof trainers and an XL does me.

You can also get just toe covers...

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/gripgrab-windproof-toe-cover-ss17/rp-prod158891

No idea what theyre like though as Ive never used them.

Edited by been here before

40 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

Are any of JKB's cyclists able to give me hints as to how best to keep fingers and toes warm? 

I do a cycle commute three or four days a week, covering 20km in each direction. As the weather's turned colder, I've been reminded that my toes and fingers get REALLY cold. Fingers not too bad, I have neoprene type (Altura NightVision) gloves and I suppose I could invest in glove liners when it gets colder. My toes, though, are like blocks of ice. I wore two pairs of socks this morning but I'm not helped by the fact that my SPD cycling shoes are vented, I suppose for the summer. 

I hope that some of you lot who cycle in and around Edinburgh will have helpful tips. Are there magic socks or special cycling shoes that work?

Don't wear vented shoes seems like the obvious answer.

I P Knightley
39 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Don't wear vented shoes seems like the obvious answer.

The only 'winter' cycling shoes I've seen are about £190. 

I should have mentioned that I'd appreciate a lower-cost option :)

Cold? You're obviously not cycling hard or fast enough...   :whistling:

1 hour ago, I P Knightley said:

You could probably benefit from 'over the toe' shoe covers - I have waterproof ones for when it's pissing down that are probably pretty effective at keeping your toes warm too. I've only got a short commute so don't have that problem though.

Toxteth O'Grady

Merino wool socks or sealskins are both good but neither will work well if your shoes are too tight over them. It’s all about trapping air and warming it up. Overshoes might be worth a punt but I’ve not tried them 

Carl Weathers

As mentioned above the overshoes work really well. I have an Endura pair that look identical to the dhb ones posted and they are good.

Also worth investing in a neck warmer, decent hat, leg wear etc.

5 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

Couple of Tesco bags , wrapped tightly round the ankles, held in place with elastics .

Voila.

I think if you cycle fast as you can and then when someone is behind you waiting to overtake slow down and zig zag about on the road. It's how everyone else seems to do it.

I P Knightley
1 hour ago, Herbert said:

I think if you cycle fast as you can and then when someone is behind you waiting to overtake slow down and zig zag about on the road. It's how everyone else seems to do it.

That doesn't make my toes any warmer, although I do get a warm glow of satisfaction when I see drivers losing their shit over having to drive safely. 

Going to invest in high tech socks. 

3 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

That doesn't make my toes any warmer, although I do get a warm glow of satisfaction when I see drivers losing their shit over having to drive safely. 

Going to invest in high tech socks. 

How come it's always the drivers fault? I'm not a reckless driver and I've nearly flattened a few cyclists because they don't want to take responsibility for their own safety.

been here before
8 hours ago, Herbert said:

How come it's always the drivers fault? I'm not a reckless driver and I've nearly flattened a few cyclists because they don't want to take responsibility for their own safety.

How come its always the cyclists fault?

Im not a reckless cyclist and Ive nearly been flattened a few times because drivers dont want to take responsibility for driving responsibly and overtaking in an appropriate and safe manner.

2 hours ago, been here before said:

Im not a reckless cyclist and Ive nearly been flattened a few times because drivers dont want to take responsibility for driving responsibly and overtaking in an appropriate and safe manner.

Because cyclists think they can pull out in front of cars, squeeze through tight gaps, zig zag about on the road, go through red lights, jump on and off the pavement when they want. If a dricer done that he would get lifted. 

been here before
12 hours ago, Herbert said:

Because drivers try and intimidate cyclists, revving behind them at lights, just pulling out in front of them, driving or queuing in the cycle lanes, over taking at speed, stopping in the cycle box at lights, opening doors in traffic without checking, over taking dangerously close.

Then theres parking on pavements endangering pedestrians, children, disabled...

21 minutes ago, been here before said:

Because drivers try and intimidate cyclists, revving behind them at lights, just pulling out in front of them, driving or queuing in the cycle lanes, over taking at speed, stopping in the cycle box at lights, opening doors in traffic without checking, over taking dangerously close.

What's more dangerous a stationary vehicle on the pavement or someone on a bike who hops on and off the pavement usually at a high speed when they don't want to wait at lights. If car doors opening are a problem then it would indicate you are the one passing to close and are not aware of other road users.

been here before
9 minutes ago, Herbert said:

What's more dangerous a stationary vehicle on the pavement or someone on a bike who hops on and off the pavement usually at a high speed when they don't want to wait at lights. If car doors opening are a problem then it would indicate you are the one passing to close and are not aware of other road users.

Or your trying to cycle wiyh a bit of consideratiin fir drivers wanting past or in the ither hand cycling knowing that drivers are going to try and overtake riduculously close.

If Im pushing a buggy, a school child, in a wheelchair, blind then as much as that cyclist is an arsehole Im thinking its probably the lesser of the 2 evils as he's not forcing me off the pavement and onto a busy road where tonnes of metal are travelling at high speed because the driver who parked in the pavement cant be arsed finding a proper place to park.

Better call Saul
37 minutes ago, TheStig said:

Seen a cyclist sliding along the ground on his face the other day, was a thing of beauty.

Your so caring 🤣🤣

I P Knightley
8 hours ago, been here before said:

5 hours ago, Herbert said:

Because cyclists think they can pull out in front of cars, squeeze through tight gaps, zig zag about on the road, go through red lights, jump on and off the pavement when they want. If a dricer done that he would get lifted. 

I'm just pulling your plonker; I'm also a driver.

There's bad drivers and there's bad cyclists. There's more drivers, so there's more bad drivers. Drivers potentially do more harm than cyclists so bad drivers are more dangerous than bad cyclists. Simple arithmetic.

I get as annoyed by cyclists taking unnecessary risks (e.g. squeezing along the inside of a bus or a truck at a junction; going without lights or visible clothing, etc.) as I do by drivers failing to indicate, driving/parking in the cycle lanes; pulling out in front of cyclists, giving no room when overtaking and so on.

26 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

I'm just pulling your plonker; I'm also a driver.

There's bad drivers and there's bad cyclists. There's more drivers, so there's more bad drivers. Drivers potentially do more harm than cyclists so bad drivers are more dangerous than bad cyclists. Simple arithmetic.

I get as annoyed by cyclists taking unnecessary risks (e.g. squeezing along the inside of a bus or a truck at a junction; going without lights or visible clothing, etc.) as I do by drivers failing to indicate, driving/parking in the cycle lanes; pulling out in front of cyclists, giving no room when overtaking and so on.

So you agree all cyclists should get a minimum 10year jail term?

3 hours ago, TheStig said:

Seen a cyclist sliding along the ground on his face the other day, was a thing of beauty.

Hope you gave him a wee beep and a wave.

4 minutes ago, Jamdub said:

When will cyclists start paying road tax as they are a feckin menace on the road.

they would not pay vehicle excise duty as they would be in the same band as electric cars where the rate is zero. insurance however is another matter

been here before
7 minutes ago, Jamdub said:

When will cyclists start paying road tax as they are a feckin menace on the road.

😂

No-ones paid road tax since Churchill abolished it in the 1930s.

1 minute ago, been here before said:

😂

No-ones paid road tax since Churchill abolished it in the 1930s.

But of course you pay insurance to cause havoc on the road, of course you do. :interehjrling:

been here before
1 minute ago, Jamdub said:

But of course you pay insurance to cause havoc on the road, of course you do. :interehjrling:

You never mentioned insurance.

You're wittering about road tax and how it seems to stop you from being "a feckin menace on the road".

been here before
4 minutes ago, Jamdub said:

So you never answered my question, do you ?

I pay insurance for my car. If the law stated I needed it to cycle then I would. No idea how it would be enforced though.

If you're not happy with that then blame the politicians or the lawmakers.

Now since you're big on answering questions though...

Do you pay money for things you dont have to?

What is Road tax?

What is the correlation between paying  it and not being "a feckin menace on the road"? Are you aware of studies or evidence that state paying it doesnt make you " a feckin menace on the road"? Itll be interesting to read those.

Ill be honest here and say Im not expecting you to answer.

A thread about warm feet and hands on a bike turns into the same boring shite about cars v bikes for the 5000th time.....

Anyway, get yourself a pair of these, 

https://www.lusso.bike/collections/mens-accessories/products/windtex-vison-overboots

The black ones have been sold out for ages but the neon ones have the added benefit of being reflective. Waterproof, fleece lined and windproof. Your feet will be toasty. 

Get the best gloves you can justify buying. There's no point on skimping on bike gear if you use it a lot. You might as well be comfy and warm otherwise its a pain in the arse. 

Captain Sausage

Depends on the length of your commute. 

Problem I found with overshoes is that if you’re doing anything over 7-10 miles, you’ll have warmed up and that waterproof membrane works both ways. You end up with soaking feet from sweat!

Long leg bibs. Long sleeved cycling fleece jacket. Ear protectors under helmet. It’s always a balance as you will heat up pretty fast then wish you didn’t have all those clothes on. 

I P Knightley
2 hours ago, Captain Sausage said:

Depends on the length of your commute. 

Problem I found with overshoes is that if you’re doing anything over 7-10 miles, you’ll have warmed up and that waterproof membrane works both ways. You end up with soaking feet from sweat!

Long leg bibs. Long sleeved cycling fleece jacket. Ear protectors under helmet. It’s always a balance as you will heat up pretty fast then wish you didn’t have all those clothes on. 

Absolutely no problem between wrist and ankles. I've got all sorts of base layer tops, good hats, etc. I've never tried those bib-type leggings or shorts - I'm a middle-aged man with a middle-aged man figure, I couldn't do that to myself or my family. 

I got a decent pair of socks at the weekend, in Morrison's of all places. Branded JCB and describing all sorts of lever construction, they were £4 and seem to have made a difference. 

19 hours ago, been here before said:

I pay insurance for my car. If the law stated I needed it to cycle then I would. No idea how it would be enforced though.

If you're not happy with that then blame the politicians or the lawmakers.

Now since you're big on answering questions though...

Do you pay money for things you dont have to?

What is Road tax?

What is the correlation between paying  it and not being "a feckin menace on the road"? Are you aware of studies or evidence that state paying it doesnt make you " a feckin menace on the road"? Itll be interesting to read those.

Ill be honest here and say Im not expecting you to answer.

Any responsible and serious bike enthusiast would have bike insurance whether it is the law or not. 

As people have stated above, if everyone just shared the roads in sensible and safe matter, abide by the rules of the road and dont act like a ***** we would be all the safer and happier for it. 

But as is life and in all areas of it, it doesn't work like that. Therefore cyclists blame motorists and vice versa for all their woes. 

Edited by AlimOzturk

been here before
4 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Any responsible and serious bike enthusiast would have bike insurance whether it is the law or not. 

As people have stated above, if everyone just shared the roads in sensible and safe matter, abide by the rules of the road and dont act like a ***** we would be all the safer and happier for it. 

But as is life and in all areas of it, it doesn't work like that. Therefore cyclists blame motorists and vice versa for all their woes. 

No they wouldnt. No more than any responsible and serious hillwalker would take out insurance against them needing rescued, any serious telly watcher would buy a licence or every serious and in their mind responsible driver is taxed and insured. There's hundreds of examples out there of people who are serious about things who dont go out and get insurance or pay for things they dont have to.

It doesnt make it right, but there you go.

The rest of your post I agree with 100%.

netherleejambo

Turning to cold hands - get a pair of lobster claws.

Keep your hands nice and toasty - only drawback is you can't give drivers two (or one) fingers when they try to run you off the road.

Doctor FinnBarr
On 17/11/2019 at 10:24, Herbert said:

On 17/11/2019 at 10:59, been here before said:

No mention of going through red lights as mentioned by Herbert, hmmm, wonder why?

luckyBatistuta
On 17/11/2019 at 10:59, been here before said:

:lol:  Someone has too, never any cyclists in them.

Love nothing better than watching all these law abiding cyclists run a couple of red lights, then when I get ahead of them again, deliberately sitting in the box. Rather than running their third consecutive red light, they can’t resist stopping and gesturing or banging on your window, to tell you that you are stopped in their box 😂🤣 

During the winter, catch the Bus/Train/a lift, before someone shoves yer wee cameras up your .... 

I'm away to scrape a wee 4 inch square on my windscreen, to see where I'm going. I wouldn't like to hit a cyclist. That would be terrible, wouldn't it.🏁