Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
afanderson33

The minute's silence today?

Recommended Posts

afanderson33

Did anyone notice the fan holding up a Japanese flag during the minute's silence? Bit of a faux pas although I did have a chuckle about it after, poor person holding it up probably never even realised the connotations 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RobNox

Why?  A lot of Japanese soldiers have died fighting for their country, it's not just to remember British soldiers, but young men and women of all nationalities who paid the ultimate sacrifice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tynecastlesmychurch

My Grandfather never forgave the Japanese.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Aparantly in the 70s one of them sold him a dodgy motor! 

Edited by Tynecastlesmychurch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jeff

They fought for what the emperor believed in. They were regular people just like the allies were.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ethan Hunt
5 minutes ago, afanderson33 said:

Did anyone notice the fan holding up a Japanese flag during the minute's silence? Bit of a faux pas although I did have a chuckle about it after, poor person holding it up probably never even realised the connotations 

She was at the front of the Gorgie stand during the warm up. I think she was trying to get Ryo to sign the flag but he either didn’t notice it or ignored her.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
heartsfc_fan

Minute's silence was a bit unorganised it seemed? Berra and the St Mirren player had to stand on their own. Not seen that before, unless of course it was planned.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Exile fae Main Street

Er.........no it's not......think you should think again chum

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Gorgiewave

In the equivalent fixture last year, we were captained by an Austrian, Peter Haring. That wasn't a faux pas either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
afanderson33
4 minutes ago, heartsfc_fan said:

Minute's silence was a bit unorganised it seemed? Berra and the St Mirren player had to stand on their own. Not seen that before, unless of course it was planned.

 

Maybe Levein was in charge of arranging that too and the role never got reassigned 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Exile fae Main Street

When I was 12, in the 60s, I was in hospital, in those days in the men's s Ward, there was a guy who had been a prisoner of the Japanese in WWII , never forget the state he was in, nor what he told me. Not saying we should hate all things Japanese, or anything, just that Remembrance time is about OUR people's Sacrifice. Amen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Zlatanable
21 minutes ago, afanderson33 said:

Did anyone notice the fan holding up a Japanese flag during the minute's silence? Bit of a faux pas although I did have a chuckle about it after, poor person holding it up probably never even realised the connotations 

Carry on, explain yourself. 

Edited by Zlatanable

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jambo, Goodbye
9 minutes ago, Jeff said:

They fought for what the emperor believed in. They were regular people just like the allies were.

I love Japan but their soldiers during the war were anything other than regular. They did absolute monstrous things as an invading army. Things they don't teach us in the UK.

 

I've never once considered our minutes silence to be aimed at anyone except our soldiers and our allies during those times. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
martoon
2 minutes ago, Exile fae Main Street said:

When I was 12, in the 60s, I was in hospital, in those days in the men's s Ward, there was a guy who had been a prisoner of the Japanese in WWII , never forget the state he was in, nor what he told me. Not saying we should hate all things Japanese, or anything, just that Remembrance time is about OUR people's Sacrifice. Amen

 

It really isn't, man. 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jambo, Goodbye
11 minutes ago, Exile fae Main Street said:

When I was 12, in the 60s, I was in hospital, in those days in the men's s Ward, there was a guy who had been a prisoner of the Japanese in WWII , never forget the state he was in, nor what he told me. Not saying we should hate all things Japanese, or anything, just that Remembrance time is about OUR people's Sacrifice. Amen

 

 

 

But no hate for the Japanese today,  amazing country and lovely people. 

Edited by Jambo, Goodbye

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sassenach

When I was a kid there were plenty of dads who refused to buy anything Japanese.

 

Remembrance isn't about old squabbles though, it's about respecting all who died due to the ineptitude of their political masters, on all sides.

 

There's no reason why we can't all remember together.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
martoon
1 minute ago, Jambo, Goodbye said:

I love Japan but their soldiers during the war were anything other than regular. They did absolute monstrous things as an invading army. Things they don't teach us in the UK.

 

I've never once considered our minutes silence to be aimed at anyone except our soldiers and our allies during those times. 

 

 

 

I'd be inclined to blame the Emperor and the guff they were brainwashed into believing rather than the regular Japanese men at the time.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Threebs

Quick thinking by Jock the Jambo who very respectfully moved to the side of the pitch when he got himself stranded with the captains and officials during the minute’s silence.

 

Well done 👍🏻

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
martoon
3 minutes ago, sassenach said:

When I was a kid there were plenty of dads who refused to buy anything Japanese.

 

Remembrance isn't about old squabbles though, it's about respecting all who died due to the ineptitude of their political masters, on all sides.

 

There's no reason why we can't all remember together.

 

Exactly. War always has casualties and it's always ordinary men who are. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Zlatanable
32 minutes ago, afanderson33 said:

Did anyone notice the fan holding up a Japanese flag during the minute's silence? Bit of a faux pas although I did have a chuckle about it after, poor person holding it up probably never even realised the connotations 

 

24 minutes ago, Jeff said:

They fought for what the emperor believed in. They were regular people just like the allies were.

 

23 minutes ago, heartsfc_fan said:

Minute's silence was a bit unorganised it seemed? Berra and the St Mirren player had to stand on their own. Not seen that before, unless of course it was planned.

 

18 minutes ago, Gorgiewave said:

In the equivalent fixture last year, we were captained by an Austrian, Peter Haring. That wasn't a faux pas either.

 

17 minutes ago, afanderson33 said:

 

Maybe Levein was in charge of arranging that too and the role never got reassigned 

 

16 minutes ago, Exile fae Main Street said:

When I was 12, in the 60s, I was in hospital, in those days in the men's s Ward, there was a guy who had been a prisoner of the Japanese in WWII , never forget the state he was in, nor what he told me. Not saying we should hate all things Japanese, or anything, just that Remembrance time is about OUR people's Sacrifice. Amen

 

10 minutes ago, Jambo, Goodbye said:

I love Japan but their soldiers during the war were anything other than regular. They did absolute monstrous things as an invading army. Things they don't teach us in the UK.

 

I've never once considered our minutes silence to be aimed at anyone except our soldiers and our allies during those times. 

 

 

 

Have you considered that someone was trying to show support to Ryotaro Meshino?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Old Hearts

"For your tomorrow, we gave our today".....

 

Reading some of the rubbish on this thread, I think they must wonder why they did. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jambo, Goodbye
1 minute ago, martoon said:

 

I'd be inclined to blame the Emperor and the guff they were brainwashed into believing rather than the regular Japanese men at the time.  

 

That tells me you don't know the first thing about the atrocities carried out across the Pacific and across Asia by invading Japanese soldiers. 

 

But whether we believe they were brainwashed or not. This weekend is to do with the Commonwealth Armed Forces. I don't mind about the flag being at Tynie but can see why it's seen as a faux pas. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jamhammer
7 minutes ago, sassenach said:

When I was a kid there were plenty of dads who refused to buy anything Japanese.

 

Remembrance isn't about old squabbles though, it's about respecting all who died due to the ineptitude of their political masters, on all sides.

 

There's no reason why we can't all remember together.

This for me too. I know a few proper old boys who will never forgive what was done to them by the Japanese but soldiers are soldiers. Their masters are the problem

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Zlatanable
Just now, Jambo, Goodbye said:

 

That tells me you don't know the first thing about the atrocities carried out across the Pacific and across Asia by invading Japanese soldiers. 

 

But whether we believe they were brainwashed or not. This weekend is to do with the Commonwealth Armed Forces. I don't mind about the flag being at Tynie but can see why it's seen as a faux pas. 

Or, maybe somebody was supporting Ryotaro Meshino

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Zlatanable
Just now, Jamhammer said:

This for me too. I know a few proper old boys who will never forgive what was done to them by the Japanese but soldiers are soldiers. Their masters are the problem

Or maybe, today, the person with the flag of Japan was supporting Ryotaro Meshino, and not trying to make a point about WW2?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jambo, Goodbye
2 minutes ago, Zlatanable said:

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Have you considered that someone was trying to show support to Ryotaro Meshino?

 

Everyone has considered this. Nobody is suggesting the flag was some mischievous prank. 

 

But the timing was a faux pas for sure. 

 

Maybe not even that though,  I doubt anybody is / was offended. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jambo, Goodbye
2 minutes ago, Zlatanable said:

Or, maybe somebody was supporting Ryotaro Meshino

 

You're not understanding the context of that discussion. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jambo, Goodbye
5 minutes ago, Zlatanable said:

Or maybe, today, the person with the flag of Japan was supporting Ryotaro Meshino, and not trying to make a point about WW2?

Nobody is talking about why the flag was brought. That's only you.  

 

And nobody has said the flag was brought to make a point. 

 

If it had been a WW2 flag,  it would have been the rising sun flag. But it wasn't. So no foul play. 

Edited by Jambo, Goodbye

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jamhammer
8 minutes ago, Zlatanable said:

Or maybe, today, the person with the flag of Japan was supporting Ryotaro Meshino, and not trying to make a point about WW2?

Duh! Guys my age have parents/relatives who cannot abide the Japanese for war crimes.

I don’t believe for a minute that the flag bearer supports that just pointing out it’s a hard one for some folk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Zlatanable
2 minutes ago, Jamhammer said:

Duh! Guys my age have parents/relatives who cannot abide the Japanese for war crimes.

I don’t believe for a minute that the flag bearer supports that just pointing out it’s a hard one for some folk

 

I sorta think the flag bearer was just being happy and supporting Hearts and Ryotaro Meshino

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Zlatanable
58 minutes ago, afanderson33 said:

Did anyone notice the fan holding up a Japanese flag during the minute's silence? Bit of a faux pas although I did have a chuckle about it after, poor person holding it up probably never even realised the connotations 

 

To me, this person, asking this question, is questionable. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tazio
55 minutes ago, Exile fae Main Street said:

When I was 12, in the 60s, I was in hospital, in those days in the men's s Ward, there was a guy who had been a prisoner of the Japanese in WWII , never forget the state he was in, nor what he told me. Not saying we should hate all things Japanese, or anything, just that Remembrance time is about OUR people's Sacrifice. Amen

Erm, it isn’t. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
martoon
56 minutes ago, Jambo, Goodbye said:

 

That tells me you don't know the first thing about the atrocities carried out across the Pacific and across Asia by invading Japanese soldiers. 

 

But whether we believe they were brainwashed or not. This weekend is to do with the Commonwealth Armed Forces. I don't mind about the flag being at Tynie but can see why it's seen as a faux pas. 

 

Thanks for letting me know that you know more about what I know than I know about what I know. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jambo, Goodbye
2 minutes ago, martoon said:

 

Thanks for letting me know that you know more about what I know than I know about what I know. 

 

You probably know more,  but you're not showing it very well. 

 

Comfort women and slicing off people's noses for fun,  for example. Brainwashed deeds? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Zlatanable
15 minutes ago, Jambo, Goodbye said:

 

You probably know more,  but you're not showing it very well. 

 

Comfort women and slicing off people's noses for fun,  for example. Brainwashed deeds? 

Remember, the Japanse Flag was probably there to support Ryotaro Meshino, who is from Japan, and plays for Hearts. 

 

 

 

 

Edited by Zlatanable

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jambo, Goodbye
1 minute ago, Zlatanable said:

Remember, the Japanse Flag was probably there to support Ryotaro Meshino, who is from Japan, and plays for Hearts. 

 

 

 

 

 

I've already explained to you that the thread was never questioning the reason why the flag was brought. Why you persist on going on about something nobody disagrees with is beyond me. 

 

Try reading my previous responses directed at you. Believe it or not we're in agreement. But it looks to me as if you didn't get the OP or indeed,  the meaning of Faux Pas. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Zlatanable
1 minute ago, Jambo, Goodbye said:

 

I've already explained to you that the thread was never questioning the reason why the flag was brought. Why you persist on going on about something nobody disagrees with is beyond me. 

 

Try reading my previous responses directed at you. Believe it or not we're in agreement. But it looks to me as if you didn't get the OP or indeed,  the meaning of Faux Pas. 

I support Hearts. If a player is from Japan, that is fine. I am ok with it. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jambo, Goodbye
Just now, Zlatanable said:

I support Hearts. If a player is from Japan, that is fine. I am ok with it. 

 

 

Who on this thread isn't? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TheStig

Just aswell it wasn't a union flag, would really kick things off on here...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
martoon
1 hour ago, Jambo, Goodbye said:

 

You probably know more,  but you're not showing it very well. 

 

Comfort women and slicing off people's noses for fun,  for example. Brainwashed deeds? 

 

If that was done by many I'd say yes. If not, they would surely be isolated incidents inflicted by a few maniacs. 

 

Either way, or neither, I'm not looking for an argument, bud. Far from it. I believe, or at least prefer to, that remembrance Sunday is for all the dead who sacrificed their lives fighting wars that were, in the main, waged by governments/dictators/Emperors who, often recklessly, sacrificed them but never themselves. 

 

God bless all the fallen. 

Edited by martoon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jambo, Goodbye
6 minutes ago, martoon said:

 

If that was done by many I'd say yes. If not, they would surely be isolated incidents inflicted by a few maniacs. 

 

Either way, or neither, I'm not looking for an argument, bud. Far from it. I believe, or at least prefer to, that remembrance Sunday is for all the dead who sacrificed their lives fighting wars that were, in the main, waged by governments/dictators/Emperors who, often recklessly, sacrificed them but never themselves. 

 

God bless all the fallen. 

 

Sure,  we can leave it at that. Remembrance should probably be for what we individually choose anyway. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Zlatanable

Just a dreadful thread. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FinnBarr Saunders
3 hours ago, Jambo, Goodbye said:

Nobody is talking about why the flag was brought. That's only you.  

 

And nobody has said the flag was brought to make a point. 

 

If it had been a WW2 flag,  it would have been the rising sun flag. But it wasn't. So no foul play. 

 

Correct

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bridge of Djoum

Flag debate... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bobsharp

I think seventy odd years after the end of the war some of the old hatreds have rightfully died. However I would suggest that many war memorials have a comment relating to our Glorious dead. I would again only suggest that Remberance Day is there to Remember  and Honour those who have died from our own respective countries. There are three hundred and sixty four days a year when a person if they desire can consider all dead from wars, but 11th November is the day we remember our own dead.

Edited by bobsharp

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mauricio Pinilla
8 hours ago, Threebs said:

Quick thinking by Jock the Jambo who very respectfully moved to the side of the pitch when he got himself stranded with the captains and officials during the minute’s silence.

 

Well done 👍🏻

 

I must admit, the sight of jock sombrely walking to the side of the pitch, head bowed, hands clasped, was one of the top moments of an eventful day. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jambo-Jimbo
11 hours ago, Jambo, Goodbye said:

I love Japan but their soldiers during the war were anything other than regular. They did absolute monstrous things as an invading army. Things they don't teach us in the UK.

 

I've never once considered our minutes silence to be aimed at anyone except our soldiers and our allies during those times. 

 

 

 

Knew a guy who was a P.O.W. of the Japanese, never had a good word to say about them, told me a few things what the guards would do to him & the other prisoners, not pleasant and that's the understatement of the year.

Thought he was going to have a heart attack the day I drove up on my new motorbike, he asked me is that a BSA, no it's a Suzuki I answered, a suzuki is that ******* Japanese, yes I replied, have you any idea what those barstewards did to us, then he told me some of the things the P.O.W.'s had to endure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RobboM
3 hours ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

 

I must admit, the sight of jock sombrely walking to the side of the pitch, head bowed, hands clasped, was one of the top moments of an eventful day. 


I was thinking FFS Don't trip up! Dont trip up!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
XB52
7 hours ago, bobsharp said:

I think seventy odd years after the end of the war some of the old hatreds have rightfully died. However I would suggest that many war memorials have a comment relating to our Glorious dead. I would again only suggest that Remberance Day is there to Remember  and Honour those who have died from our own respective countries. There are three hundred and sixty four days a year when a person if they desire can consider all dead from wars, but 11th November is the day we remember our own dead.

Totally wrong. Remembrance Sunday is to remember the dead no matter what country they were from. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
John Findlay
13 hours ago, Ethan Hunt said:

She was at the front of the Gorgie stand during the warm up. I think she was trying to get Ryo to sign the flag but he either didn’t notice it or ignored her.

The lady in question is Lynn Aoki. Japan Jambo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cade

Remembrance sunday is to recognise the futility and waste of war.

It is to mark the passing of all combatants on all sides of all nationalities, faiths and racial backgrounds.

 

It is not a triumphal celebration of "oor boyz" nor the glorification of war.

Edited by Cade

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  



×
×
  • Create New...