The minute's silence today?

afanderson33

Japan then formally declared war on the German Empire on 23 August 1914 thereby entering the First World War as an ally of Britain, France and the Russian Empire to seize the German-held Caroline, Marshall, and Mariana Islands in the Pacific.

my late uncle was a Chindit , he never really fully forgave or forgot what they done to POW’ s in WW2 when they were on the other side , but he always said hating was a waste of energy 

18 hours ago, RobNox said:

Why?  A lot of Japanese soldiers have died fighting for their country, it's not just to remember British soldiers, but young men and women of all nationalities who paid the ultimate sacrifice.

... Including Nazis? 

Was anyone at Haymarket today, I am curious when speakers were talking about men who died did they add sentiments for the German soldiers who killed them. I also would like to ask is there anywhere a War Memorial where the names of all the dead from both militaries are listed together. I am honestly unaware of one, and would be curious to know where it is.

I am reprimanding myself for my too many comments on this thread, but I really am just c urious if we should have sympathy for the members of armies for whom their sole purpose was to remove from us the way of life we wanted. We in both World wars were defenders as opposed to being the aggressors.

1 hour ago, bobsharp said:

Was anyone at Haymarket today, I am curious when speakers were talking about men who died did they add sentiments for the German soldiers who killed them. I also would like to ask is there anywhere a War Memorial where the names of all the dead from both militaries are listed together. I am honestly unaware of one, and would be curious to know where it is.

I am reprimanding myself for my too many comments on this thread, but I really am just c urious if we should have sympathy for the members of armies for whom their sole purpose was to remove from us the way of life we wanted. We in both World wars were defenders as opposed to being the aggressors.

I think I am a day out withe Remembrance Service, it will be tomorrow.

been here before
1 hour ago, bobsharp said:

Bob, from Hearts TV...

https://heartstv.heartsfc.co.uk/tv/video/vod/2377

3 hours ago, bobsharp said:

not sure about this at all Bob.

..a heavy price was paid, for defending Belgium and Poland respectively.

Remembrance should be a personal thing. Choose to do it or not to and remember who you want to or don't want to. 

The policing of it and the glorification of Britain has made it a bit of a sickly affair at times.

Today, I went to my local towns remembrance and didn't enjoy the feel of it when it started so headed back to my village and observed the silence alone at our war memorial as that's what made me feel more comfortable.

Stephane Grappelli
On 09/11/2019 at 23:14, Old Hearts said:

"For your tomorrow, we gave our today".....

Reading some of the rubbish on this thread, I think they must wonder why they did. 

So you're saying they wasted their time?  That's pretty disrespectful.

18 hours ago, XB52 said:

Totally wrong. Remembrance Sunday is to remember the dead no matter what country they were from. 

That's today. Yesterday was for our own.