A thread to discuss the merits of Brian McClair being appointed Heart of Midlothian’s sporting director.

Davie Deans

22 minutes ago, afanderson33 said:

Was Man Utd's academy director for 9 years, mainly under Fergie

only left it to join the sfa after mark wotte left.

i think he would be a good appointment

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beast Boy

• Tom Hardy’s Dug

• Jamstomorrow

• wavydavy

1 hour ago, Parttimer1874 said:

Haha, folk aren’t half ****ing touchy. Are people really suggesting that Hearts didn’t bottle 86? 

I know I'll probably get yet another warning from the mods but FTH

1 minute ago, Agentjambo said:

Mark wotte has applied. 

him or mcclair i would be happy with. wotte seemed to have some great ideas when at the sfa but could not implement them

scott herbertson
Just now, milky_26 said:

him or mcclair i would be happy with. wotte seemed to have some great ideas when at the sfa but could not implement them

Would a Wotte/ Gemmill combination fit the bill?

Ricardo Shillyshally
1 hour ago, wavydavy said:

Do you think the same of Stevie Fulton when he picked up the Scottish Cup winning medal at Parkhead after beating Rangers?

No. I think of him being a wonderful player for Heart of Midlothian.

Borders Jambo

If McClair and Wotte have both applied for the SD post, good luck to the interviewing panel trying to differentiate between them.

If they are both being considered, then its a superb standard of candidates we are getting .

Wotte would be a good shout. Starting to feel a bit more confident with some of the names being discussed. Hope we do get someone with that kind profile and experience.

6 minutes ago, scott herbertson said:

not sure about gemmill possibly too close to the standard scottish mindset of the OF being too hard to overtake.

i wonder if wotte has some good contacts for a manager that no-on has thought. maybe get a good dutch or german coach

Tennant's  6's
20 minutes ago, scott herbertson said:

I think that that would be a good shout. 

I've thought that Scott Gemmil would be a good fit for quite a while. Better than the others that are on the bookies list at least

18 minutes ago, PaulHartley10 said:

I'd prefer McClair :laugh:

WV5-Mark-Wotte.jpg

Ian-Cathro-second-left.jpg

Cathro is a very good coach. Surely that’s undeniable, despite the fact he didn’t cut it as a manager.

PaulHartley10
5 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Cathro is a very good coach. Surely that’s undeniable, despite the fact he didn’t cut it as a manager.

I wouldn't describe him as very good. He was head coach and had absolutely nothing else to worry about other than the first team.

No doubt the players downed tools but he never got any ideas across. But if EPL and La Liga players can take to him, maybe I'm wrong! 

I'd like a McClair and Adkins type appointment, something totally different. 

scott herbertson
12 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Not enough  of a brass neck to cut it as a manager

In fact, going by the picture, no neck at all....

1 minute ago, PaulHartley10 said:

I wouldn't describe him as very good. He was head coach and had absolutely nothing else to worry about other than the first team.

No doubt the players downed tools but he never got any ideas across. But if EPL and La Liga players can take to him, maybe I'm wrong! 

I'd like a McClair and Adkins type appointment, something totally different. 

I don’t think he would be where he is now, and before us, if he wasn’t up to the job. He didn’t cut it as the head coach at Hearts, but he’s still getting high profile coaching jobs at a higher level than that which we currently operate at. Doubt Wolves would keep him around if he wasn’t up to the job.

Ok I believe the ayes have, the ayes have it. Brian McClair has the job of Sporting Director. 
I’ll get Ann to draw up a contract and get Brian to sign it on Monday morning.

17 hours ago, Italian Lambretta said:

We dont want any sellick player from the 86 team at Tynie. Not now not ever. 

Wasn't their fault McGarvey and co sold their shirts. 

Edited by Spellczech

Big Slim Stylee

Would be a fantastic appointment.

Also like the fact that he fell out with the SFA so quickly - after having appointed him, refusing to take any of his ideas on board.

Fecking bunch of inbred dullards.

Really excited about the list of names supposedly interested in this vacancy. I would have no complaints if any of them got it. 

Wish the potential managers was so appealing! 

If I had to choose, I'd go Wotte, Stendel combo. 

1 hour ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Surely you meant to say Cathro is a very good couch.

1 minute ago, Prof said:

Surely you meant to say Cathro is a very good couch.

No. He doesn’t have nearly enough stuffing and he doesn’t look very springy.

He is clearly a highly rated coach though.

Horatio Caine
31 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

Ok I believe the ayes have, the ayes have it. Brian McClair has the job of Sporting Director. 
I’ll get Ann to draw up a contract and get Brian to sign it on Monday morning.

Cool. Thanks Mitch.

15 minutes ago, Homme said:

Really excited about the list of names supposedly interested in this vacancy. I would have no complaints if any of them got it. 

Wish the potential managers was so appealing! 

If I had to choose, I'd go Wotte, Stendel combo. 

This. 

4 hours ago, dannymack said:

Entitled to his opinion as was Alex Jones back in the 90's when Hearts appointed Tommy McLean as manager due to his involvement in last game of the season1964/65. 

Not everyone can let 1985/86 go, it still pains me to look back on that final day.

I agree with you about 85/86 Dan.   I STILL like to see Dundee get stuffed at every opportunity!  

5 hours ago, Skacelsid said:

Not in the slightest bit interested in McClair's Celtic past if he comes in and does a good job. Fergie wasn't when he took him to MU because of his football ability and professionalism. Fergie surrounded himself with quality people, combined recruitment and youth development to  build great clubs and teams. If McClair were a candidate hopefully he has picked up on the methods of Sir Alex.

If McClair has picked up the methods of Sir Alex, I'd be for removing the hairdryers out the changing room now!   

5 hours ago, PaulHartley10 said:

I'd prefer McClair :laugh:

WV5-Mark-Wotte.jpg

Ian-Cathro-second-left.jpg

Moby next to Wotte, completely missed him in the Scotland set up, possible dark horse for sporting director 

20 hours ago, Italian Lambretta said:

We dont want any sellick player from the 86 team at Tynie. Not now not ever. 

My biggest memory of him was a feature in the Observer called 'the striker's striker' where top strikers were asked to pick their favourite striker. He was in his ManU prime at the time, and chose our very own John Colquhoun. He picked out JC's strength as a major attribute.

If people like you had their way we'd never have seen Colquhoun (and many more) in maroon. I hope this happens and you're disappointed. No idea how likely it is though.

54 minutes ago, Jamstomorrow said:

I agree with you about 85/86 Dan.   I STILL like to see Dundee get stuffed at every opportunity!  

Not me. They were my grandad's team and did nothing wrong that day.

5 hours ago, Ricardo Shillyshally said:

No. I think of him being a wonderful player for Heart of Midlothian.

Even though he was ex Celtic just like McClair. A bit contradictory perhaps?

5 hours ago, milky_26 said:

not sure about gemmill possibly too close to the standard scottish mindset of the OF being too hard to overtake.

i wonder if wotte has some good contacts for a manager that no-on has thought. maybe get a good dutch or german coach

I wonder if that's what Ann had in mind when she said she expected the SD to be appointed BEFORE the manager.

Both Wotte and McClair would have good knowledge of available candidates for the manager's  job. 

Ricardo Shillyshally
9 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

Even though he was ex Celtic just like McClair. A bit contradictory perhaps?

Only if you are in the contrary police.

My mental image of him is in that horrid shiny Celtic top from the 80s. Probably due to my pannini stickers obsession.

My mental image of Steve Fulton is after winning us a penalty in the 98 final. 

If Mcclair gets the gig then he will have my full backing.

3 minutes ago, Ricardo Shillyshally said:

Only if you are in the contrary police.

My mental image of him is in that horrid shiny Celtic top from the 80s. Probably due to my pannini stickers obsession.

My mental image of Steve Fulton is after winning us a penalty in the 98 final. 

If Mcclair gets the gig then he will have my full backing.

As it should be.

In terms of the sources of the 2 main names mentioned on this thread, if I remember correctly the OP has form for having inside info regarding team news and such so Mclair could be feasible. However much as I think Wotte would be an interesting appointment, the guy who mentioned him has a reputation as a complete slaver and ITK wannabee. 

Would be quite happy with either. 

6 minutes ago, HoGwash said:

In terms of the sources of the 2 main names mentioned on this thread, if I remember correctly the OP has form for having inside info regarding team news and such so Mclair could be feasible. However much as I think Wotte would be an interesting appointment, the guy who mentioned him has a reputation as a complete slaver and ITK wannabee. 

Would be quite happy with either. 

This. Wotte also seems to be in work in Abu Dhabi at the moment.

Weakened Offender

I'd love him in. The guy has always been class. 

It's also my opinion that one or two are hiding their real reasons for not wanting him in behind still being hurt about something that happened over 30 odd years ago. 

Who'd manage - Austin? 

Sounds a good appointment. I doubt you could come from a club like Man Utd without holding the highest standards. Would very much be an appointment I would be behind. 

7 hours ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Must be very well connected then. Would this not make wages a bit tricky though?

Made his fortune. Been unemployed for a while now. 

If, and it's a very big if, McClair was appointed, might the manager be someone from his Man U contacts? Hughes is the obvious one, though what about Scholes or Butt, for example?

(and despite being well into his forties, I'm sure Scholes would still be the best player in the Scottish league too, should he feel the need to put the boots on one last time!)