A thread to discuss the merits of Brian McClair being appointed Heart of Midlothian’s sporting director.

Davie Deans

He seems to enjoy the quiet life in Edinburgh, cutting about and having a quiet pint. I see him now and again and in typical Edinburgh fashion, nobody has any idea who he is! Taking a high profile job at Hearts would obviously change things.

He also appears to be a thoroughly decent bloke, I'd love him at us.

Also worth remembering that back in the mid eighties  Celtic had Brian McClair and Mo Johnson up front, with Alan Mcinally and Mark Mcghee also there. We had Robbo obviously, McCoist and Charlie Nicholas were around too. Where's it all gone wrong?

Edited by pablo

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beast Boy

• Tom Hardy’s Dug

• Jamstomorrow

• wavydavy

McClair was a Great player. Always remember McClair taking a corner in a night time game for Celtic at the shed. He was bombarded with all sorts of rubbish, so Robbo ran over to stand beside him. The nonsense stopped immediately.

Tom Hardy’s Dug

Turning your nose up at somebody with the experience and contacts he has, who has done a similar job before at the highest level?

Why? Ye’ ken , Celtic eh!

Come on for god’s sake. Would be a huge appointment. 

Governor Tarkin
12 hours ago, Zlatanable said:

McClair rhymes with eclair. Greggs sells eclairs, they also sell sausage rolls. Rolls rhyme with foals. Foals are young horses. Horses win horse races. Races rhyme with aces. Aces are often the highest card. Card rhymes with Shard, which is the tallest building in the UK.

Ergo, Hearts to win the World Cup.  

:sadrobbo:

Good post.

He’s one of very few Celtic related players who got your back up. He’s not one I can say bothered me or felt he oozed the side of Celtic-ness that grates. 

I can say , not so much admired, but appreciated him as a player at Man U.

Unassuming competitor who was a very reliable player.  If the club is now changing slight direction and really has intent to push this club forward on the pitch, I think he’d be a sound appointment along with a new manager that makes the support sit up.

The club needs a big dose of fresh ideas. 

Can anyone tell me what he’d bring to the table in terms of experience etc? I genuinely had no idea he is/was still involved in football as I only remember him as a player. 

17 minutes ago, pablo said:

He seems to enjoy the quiet life in Edinburgh, cutting about and having a quiet pint. I see him now and again and in typical Edinburgh fashion, nobody has any idea who he is! Taking a high profile job at Hearts would obviously change things.

Also worth remembering that back in the mid eighties  Celtic had Brian McClair and Mo Johnson up front, with Alan Mcinally and Mark Mcghee also there. We had Robbo obviously, McCoist and Charlie Nicholas were around too. Where's it all gone wrong?

Aberdeen had Eric Black and Dundee Utd had Sturrock.  If only we had those striking options now!

part_time_jambo
12 hours ago, Robert Lazar said:

I don't really see the point in discussing potential candidates when we have no say whatsoever. 

Is it just me?

It's up there with predicting who we will draw in a cup tie.

13 hours ago, Italian Lambretta said:

We dont want any sellick player from the 86 team at Tynie. Not now not ever. 

Jeez mate.  Get a life!!!

13 hours ago, Zlatanable said:

McClair rhymes with eclair. Greggs sells eclairs, they also sell sausage rolls. Rolls rhyme with foals. Foals are young horses. Horses win horse races. Races rhyme with aces. Aces are often the highest card. Card rhymes with Shard, which is the tallest building in the UK.

Ergo, Hearts to win the World Cup.  

Yep!  Makes perfect sense.  Go for it.

Tom Hardy’s Dug
1 minute ago, i8hibsh said:

Fry up rolls, Haggis suppers, chocolate and Irn Bru. The pre match meal for a Scottish pro.

:vrface:

I don’t know about anyone else but I saw that as tongue in cheek piss take video about Scottish culinary stereotypes.

Just now, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

I don’t know about anyone else but I saw that as tongue in cheek piss take video about Scottish culinary stereotypes.

Yes to me also. However he did clearly say he ate that shit before games.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
35 minutes ago, pablo said:

Apparently too many people playing Quidditch in the park. Strange but maybe true

Tom Hardy’s Dug
6 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

Yes to me also. However he did clearly say he ate that shit before games.

he also said he needed to eat a Tunnocks Wafer bar to properly consider a museum artefact....

Forever Hearts
13 hours ago, Robert Lazar said:

I don't really see the point in discussing potential candidates when we have no say whatsoever. 

Is it just me?

Definitely just you. 👍

Parttimer1874
6 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

:cornette:

What’s there to disagree with? It’s an absolutely spot on statement. Hearts shat it in 86. 

4 minutes ago, Parttimer1874 said:

What’s there to disagree with? It’s an absolutely spot on statement. Hearts shat it in 86. 

GTF mate!!! 

What is that all about. 

You are Hibs definitely piss off to your own forum!! 

Edited by rick witter

13 hours ago, Ricardo Shillyshally said:

Every time I picture him it's in a shiny mid 80s Celtic strip. He's. BOAK

Do you think the same of Stevie Fulton when he picked up the Scottish Cup winning medal at Parkhead after beating Rangers?

11 minutes ago, Parttimer1874 said:

That was my first season as a Hearts supporter. Those players were my heroes and the reason I got hooked. I’m not down with the disrespectful and snide jibes about them. To me a ‘cornette’ is the appropriate response to those who do. Robertson, Levein, Colquhoun and co will have hurt as badly as we did on the terraces to lose out on the title in that way. To years later be sniping at them and calling them losers and shiters is just a really low way to speak about legends of the past. 

Edited by Icon of Symmetry

12 minutes ago, Parttimer1874 said:

**** you. You should be emptied immediately. Prick.

Just now, Parttimer1874 said:

Haha, folk aren’t half ****ing touchy. Are people really suggesting that Hearts didn’t bottle 86? 

I think you are on the wrong forum mate.:bolt:

9 minutes ago, Parttimer1874 said:

Haha, folk aren’t half ****ing touchy. Are people really suggesting that Hearts didn’t bottle 86? 

Why don't you quietly slither off back down to Lochend . 

Guess The Crowd
14 hours ago, Italian Lambretta said:

We dont want any sellick player from the 86 team at Tynie. Not now not ever. 

He was also best friends with a Hearts player from 1986. Does that help? 

Parttimer1874
3 minutes ago, Guess The Crowd said:

Oi, no unpopular opinions on 86 allowed. Toe the line. 

2 minutes ago, Parttimer1874 said:

Oi, no unpopular opinions on 86 allowed. Toe the line. 

What do you mean “toe the line”? The line of respecting the team that came closest to winning the title in most of our lifetimes? That line?

Selkirkhmfc1874
7 minutes ago, Guess The Crowd said:

Still is good friends with JC 

25 minutes ago, Parttimer1874 said:

you're not even subtle buddy, had yer wee spot at bamming people up, so just slither off, there's a h1b5 chappy.

Not in the slightest bit interested in McClair's Celtic past if he comes in and does a good job. Fergie wasn't when he took him to MU because of his football ability and professionalism. Fergie surrounded himself with quality people, combined recruitment and youth development to  build great clubs and teams. If McClair were a candidate hopefully he has picked up on the methods of Sir Alex.

Definitely an interesting suggestion. Don’t know enough about him in that kind of a role though. Is he quite well thought of for this sort of thing?

Italian Lambretta
33 minutes ago, Guess The Crowd said:

Hugh Burns? 

2 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Definitely an interesting suggestion. Don’t know enough about him in that kind of a role though. Is he quite well thought of for this sort of thing?

Was Man Utd's academy director for 9 years, mainly under Fergie

Anyone not wanting someone with the experience and knowledge of McClair at hearts is simply beyond belief.  Would be an outstanding appointment. 

2 hours ago, Jamstomorrow said:

Jeez mate.  Get a life!!!

Entitled to his opinion as was Alex Jones back in the 90's when Hearts appointed Tommy McLean as manager due to his involvement in last game of the season1964/65. 

Not everyone can let 1985/86 go, it still pains me to look back on that final day.

6 minutes ago, afanderson33 said:

Was Man Utd's academy director for 9 years, mainly under Fergie

Must be very well connected then. Would this not make wages a bit tricky though?

That's 3 decent names been linked , Savage , guy from Hull and him.

Seems inevitable that Ann will appoint McPhee from under the noses of Stoke apparently ,😩

1 hour ago, Parttimer1874 said:

Yet another undercover rat exposes himself. Cheers