Electric Guitars

All roads lead to Gorgie

All roads lead to Gorgie

Just wondered what is your favourite sounding Electric Guitar. I have an American Fender Stratocaster so I am obviously going to say a Strat but everyone is different.

You can list favourite guitarists if you like as well.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FruitJuice

• Jamhammer

• davemclaren

• All roads lead to Gorgie

All roads lead to Gorgie
7 minutes ago, crunchy frog said:

Screenshot_20191104-010723_Samsung Internet.jpg

Gibson Les Paul. Good choice.

Love telecasters. Great range of sounds by fiddling with pick up selection and nothing sounds like the bridge pick up on a tele. I’ve modded mine and put the humbucker from my Les Paul Junior into the neck position. Country twang, rock, jazz, it can do it all. 

I P Knightley

Mine is a '52 Tele (not an original, sadly). Butterscotch blonde. 

I've also got a Gibson SG which hasn't been played in ages. Must get it out and see how it's sounding. 

All roads lead to Gorgie
8 hours ago, Tazio said:

Love telecasters. Great range of sounds by fiddling with pick up selection and nothing sounds like the bridge pick up on a tele. I’ve modded mine and put the humbucker from my Les Paul Junior into the neck position. Country twang, rock, jazz, it can do it all. 

A Tele sounds really great but when I was looking to buy a guitar I spotted a second hand strat online so wen't for it instead as I read it was easier to play on the smallest  frets. As you said the bridge pick up is on the tele sounds stronger than the strat.

I love listening to the comparison sounds of different guitars played on YouTube.  

All roads lead to Gorgie
24 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

Mine is a '52 Tele (not an original, sadly). Butterscotch blonde. 

I've also got a Gibson SG which hasn't been played in ages. Must get it out and see how it's sounding. 

Just had a listen to both online and you hear the retro twangy sounds really clearly on the 52 whilst the Gibson sounds really gutsy and bluesy.

You are very lucky to own both.

I've got a '91 US Strat - midnight blue (or whatever it's called) under my bed. Haven't seen it let alone played it, for years. That's not cool.

I just bought a Hofner bass. I’ve always wanted one just because of the look. Sounds incredible too. Great to play

hofner-ignition-violin-bass-sunburst-319

Edited by Jamhammer

I have an Olympic White Jaguar which I love. Been playing more bass last few years and have a Black Jazz Precision Lite which I use most of the time. 

Have also just bought an Orange O Bass which is a growly beast of a bass. Looks the baws too. 

Just bought a maroon Gretsch Electromatic a few weeks ago.  Cracking sound to it.

Other than that, Gibson SG for lead guitar stuff and telecaster for rhythm.

I’ve got a 2006 Vintage Reissue Fender Tele gathering dust in a Cupboard somewhere. :sadrobbo:

Best guitar ever made is a 1959 Gibson Les Paul otherwise known as the ‘Holy Grail’ 

N Lincs Jambo

My eldest daughter has a Gibson Explorer which she lets me borrow quite a bit. Best quality guitar I’ve ever played but in fairness have never tried that many 

Got my first electric guitar about 6 months ago. It's a epiphone les Paul custom  I love it.  With the effects pedal, it's great fun.  I know it's not top range but I love it.  Also just got lucky with getting a Kentucky mandolin for fifty quid about four weeks ago.  Another great instrument. 

I need the name of a peddle. I was jamming with a guy about a year ago and he had a pedal that you can record yourself with and play over that.  It wasn't a loop pedal, it had a brand name and costs about 90-100 pound.

Wish I had forked out for an electric guitar years ago it's like a shot on the shows every night.  

21 hours ago, Lobey Dosser said:

I have an Olympic White Jaguar which I love. Been playing more bass last few years and have a Black Jazz Precision Lite which I use most of the time. 

Have also just bought an Orange O Bass which is a growly beast of a bass. Looks the baws too. 

Was a toss up between this and the Hofner for me. Agree about the looks. Not really heard one anywhere so good to know it's a growler. Perhaps it'll be next.

I've got a (Mexican) Precision and an Epiphone Thuderbird IV which is a f'n monster!

Edited by Jamhammer

12 hours ago, Gashauskis9 said:

Just bought a maroon Gretsch Electromatic a few weeks ago.  Cracking sound to it.

Other than that, Gibson SG for lead guitar stuff and telecaster for rhythm.

I don't play guitar but these are beautiufl bits of kit. Their basses not so much

12 minutes ago, Jamhammer said:

Was a toss up between this and the Hofner for me. Agree about the looks. Not really heard one anywhere so good to know it's a growler. Perhaps it'll be next.

I've got a (Mexican) Precision and an Epiphone Thuderbird IV which is a f'n monster!

Aye, I took a bit of a punt on it because I didn't play it before I bought it, but I figured it because it was Orange it would sound good. Thankfully it does. Would recommend. 

8 minutes ago, Lobey Dosser said:

Aye, I took a bit of a punt on it because I didn't play it before I bought it, but I figured it because it was Orange it would sound good. Thankfully it does. Would recommend. 

I've got the 25 and 50w combo amps. Like a bit Orange.

42 minutes ago, Jamhammer said:

Do you use a drum machine when you're playing in the house? I started on bass and used to find it quite boring due to not having drums to play making too.

55 minutes ago, Jamhammer said:

I've got the 25 and 50w combo amps. Like a bit Orange.

Nice. I love all things Orange.  I almost bought the OB1-300 in the summer when I was changing rigs but ended up getting a good deal on a Markbass cab and head. And the weight difference was huge. 

1 hour ago, FruitJuice said:

Do you use a drum machine when you're playing in the house? I started on bass and used to find it quite boring due to not having drums to play making too.

I've got one but play in a covers band so just bash away at Pirate Studios at the Gyle once a week. In the house I just play along to songs on CD/Alexa

Edited by Jamhammer

25 minutes ago, Jamhammer said:

I've got one but play in a covers band so just bash away at Pirate Studios at the Gyle once a week. In the house I just play along to songs on CD/Alexa

I used to go to a practice room.behind the supermarket at the bottom of drum brae.  Is that the studio you are talking about?  I used to go to western hailes school on a Monday night and play bass in a sort of rock workshop.  Even got to play a couple of times with the guitarist from.the average white band.  I've never mentioned that before...   Always felt a bit limited playing it in the house by myself.  Whenever I get a shot of a bass now, I make the usual mistake and play it like a guitarist.  

1 hour ago, FruitJuice said:

I used to go to a practice room.behind the supermarket at the bottom of drum brae.  Is that the studio you are talking about?  I used to go to western hailes school on a Monday night and play bass in a sort of rock workshop.  Even got to play a couple of times with the guitarist from.the average white band.  I've never mentioned that before...   Always felt a bit limited playing it in the house by myself.  Whenever I get a shot of a bass now, I make the usual mistake and play it like a guitarist.  

It's off south gyle crescent.

I've played bass for 30+ years (although prefer drums these days), all guitarists are the same!

It's a mental switch - guitarists are melody, bassists are rhythm section. Yes there's melody but you're there to broadcast beat with your drum brethren. That's why I really enjoy slapping, best way to get a beat going on bass on your own.

36 minutes ago, Smithee said:

It's off south gyle crescent.

I've played bass for 30+ years (although prefer drums these days), all guitarists are the same!

It's a mental switch - guitarists are melody, bassists are rhythm section. Yes there's melody but you're there to broadcast beat with your drum brethren. That's why I really enjoy slapping, best way to get a beat going on bass on your own.

You're spot on about guitarists being the same.  Whenever I jam playing bass, I always end up higher up the thread board like a lead guitarist.  I honestly think the hardest thing to do in music is sing and play the bass at the same time.  Thoughpi think playing the drums is really difficult.  I just cant move my hands and feet in different ways.  

7 minutes ago, FruitJuice said:

You're spot on about guitarists being the same.  Whenever I jam playing bass, I always end up higher up the thread board like a lead guitarist.  I honestly think the hardest thing to do in music is sing and play the bass at the same time.  Thoughpi think playing the drums is really difficult.  I just cant move my hands and feet in different ways.  

I mostly play acoustic guitar in the house but my bass instincts dominate, I can't play with pick and I'm thumb heavy keeping rhythm on the low strings. I am what I am!

Drums is the most satisfying and rewarding instrument I've ever played, I wish I'd got started 25 years earlier

1 minute ago, Smithee said:

I mostly play acoustic guitar in the house but my bass instincts dominate, I can't play with pick and I'm thumb heavy keeping rhythm on the low strings. I am what I am!

Drums is the most satisfying and rewarding instrument I've ever played, I wish I'd got started 25 years earlier

Genuinely interested.  Especially as you play the guitar as well.  Can you play the bass and sing?  Even before I got into the guitar and had a bass I still couldn't do it.  Even harder now because of playing the guitar and singing.  Drumming and singing is too weird and someone should be tested in a lab if they can do that... they're from another planet.  

1 minute ago, FruitJuice said:

Genuinely interested.  Especially as you play the guitar as well.  Can you play the bass and sing?  Even before I got into the guitar and had a bass I still couldn't do it.  Even harder now because of playing the guitar and singing.  Drumming and singing is too weird and someone should be tested in a lab if they can do that... they're from another planet.  

I never really tried apart from being forced into the odd backing vocals. I dont think I'd find it easy, different games altogether if you ask me

5 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Last wee point  as I said earlier,  I just got a mandolin and wonder what benefits it'll being to playing the guitar.  It is still a wee bit strange because of the strings being upside down.  Really having to think when adding something to just strumming.  Loving it though  found an a church near by me which is in the middle of nowhere and have went in their a couple of times so I don't annoy the neighbours.  Its brilliant.   

2 minutes ago, Smithee said:

I never really tried apart from being forced into the odd backing vocals. I dont think I'd find it easy, different games altogether if you ask me

First cover that you played and sung all the way through? Mines was  turn it on by the flaming lips.  

Last wee point  as I said earlier,  I just got a mandolin and wonder what benefits it'll being to playing the guitar.  It is still a wee bit strange because of the strings being upside down.  Really having to think when adding something to just strumming.  Loving it though  found an a church near by me which is in the middle of nowhere and have went in their a couple of times so I don't annoy the neighbours.  Its brilliant.   

I've dabbled but I found the mandolin a bit limited for my taste - small range, small neck, there isn't enough of it to keep my interest. Nice for a wee change though, and much more popular with the mrs than slapping away at a bass while watching masterchef

4 minutes ago, FruitJuice said:

First cover that you played and sung all the way through? Mines was  turn it on by the flaming lips.  

I sang in my first ever gig actually, forgot about that, so it would have been EMF Unbelievable or Metallica Sanitarium

2 minutes ago, Smithee said:

I've dabbled but I found the mandolin a bit limited for my taste - small range, small neck, there isn't enough of it to keep my interest. Nice for a wee change though, and much more popular with the mrs than slapping away at a bass while watching masterchef

I live in the hebrides and its great for taking out with the dog and playing anywhere.  Right now I'm basically trying to do the covers I do on the guitar on it.  Only got three keys that are comfortable  g, c and d  d,a and g   c,d and g  struggling to get e a and b for some cheap blues.  I'll get there.  

I live in the hebrides and its great for taking out with the dog and playing anywhere.  Right now I'm basically trying to do the covers I do on the guitar on it.  Only got three keys that are comfortable  g, c and d  d,a and g   c,d and g  struggling to get e a and b for some cheap blues.  I'll get there.  

👍

4 minutes ago, Smithee said:

I sang in my first ever gig actually, forgot about that, so it would have been EMF Unbelievable or Metallica Sanitarium

I struggle to perform.  I done two songs in the oak tree in drummand street a few years ago  I shut my eyes and could still see them staring at me  lol  I just get nervous and speed up.  To sing in you first gig takes testicles.  I think I've just got stomach trouble   nae guts...

11 hours ago, FruitJuice said:

I play drums and bass, and sing at the same time, and find both easier than playing guitar and singing. But I'm definitely not a guitarist-who-plays-bass. Probably more the other way around. I find that I am thinking about the guitar too much when playing it and singing, while with drums and bass I can kind of do them on auto-pilot. 

3 minutes ago, Lobey Dosser said:

I play drums and bass, and sing at the same time, and find both easier than playing guitar and singing. But I'm definitely not a guitarist-who-plays-bass. Probably more the other way around. I find that I am thinking about the guitar too much when playing it and singing, while with drums and bass I can kind of do them on auto-pilot. 

Nothing but respect for that.  Tried it and just couldn't do it.  Singing with the bass is hard enough but drumming as well is some skill. 

14 hours ago, FruitJuice said:

Was watching this last night. You’re right about that. I don’t know how anyone can play the drums and sing at the same time!

3 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Was watching this last night. You’re right about that. I don’t know how anyone can play the drums and sing at the same time!

That's the only thing that used to impress me with Phil tax dodging bassa Collins  apart from that...

On 05/11/2019 at 17:43, FruitJuice said:

Got my first electric guitar about 6 months ago. It's a epiphone les Paul custom  I love it.  With the effects pedal, it's great fun.  I know it's not top range but I love it.  

snap. Very decent guitar for the money.  Love mine. 

1 minute ago, 1971fozzy said:

snap. Very decent guitar for the money.  Love mine. 

Mines is the best bargain I've ever had.  Got an acoustic bass for £25 and the guy wanted a straight swap.  I didn't realise how good it was until I got home.  Look at it on line and celebrated.  The mandolin I got for 50 is a close second.  

2 minutes ago, Robert Lazar said:

I had a Les Paul Standard but it was getting on a bit so got rid of it.

1969 i think it was made. 

For maximum effect on your gag you meant to say 1959.