Electric Guitars

All roads lead to Gorgie

3 hours ago, Tazio said:

For maximum effect on your gag you meant to say 1959.

Was I the fender guitar that cliff Richards brought to the UK?  

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FruitJuice

• Jamhammer

• davemclaren

• Unknown user

On 05/11/2019 at 21:42, Jamhammer said:

I've got one but play in a covers band so just bash away at Pirate Studios at the Gyle once a week. In the house I just play along to songs on CD/Alexa

What kind of stuff does your cover band play and is it just round pubs and clubs you play? 

Sorry I am a bit of a nosey *******. 😉

1 hour ago, FruitJuice said:

Was I the fender guitar that cliff Richards brought to the UK?  

The story is that Hank Marvin of The Shadows had the first Strat in the UK bought for him by their management when they were Cliff's backing band.

Just now, Tazio said:

The story is that Hank Marvin of The Shadows had the first Strat in the UK bought for him by their management when they were Cliff's backing band.

That's the one. Thanks  I watched something about the birth of British rock and roll a few weeks ago and couldn't remember the name if the guitar.  I think it wasn't hank marvin but the shadows guitarist who he got it for.  It's just weird that cliff is responsible for the massive change in music culture in this country.  It would've happened anyway but he was the first.  

3 hours ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

What kind of stuff does your cover band play and is it just round pubs and clubs you play? 

Sorry I am a bit of a nosey *******. 😉

Classic Rock and Indie stuff. Undertones, Stones, Black Crowes, Quo, etc. Not been going long. 2nd gig Sat 16th. Biggest “gig” do far Cousland village fete. 

9 minutes ago, Jamhammer said:

Classic Rock and Indie stuff. Undertones, Stones, Black Crowes, Quo, etc. Not been going long. 2nd gig Sat 16th. Biggest “gig” do far Cousland village fete. 

👍👍

Good luck with your second gig. 

1 hour ago, Jamhammer said:

How was the nerves with the first gig? I know you've done it before but do you get nervous.  I've got the chance of being the support for someone next year. It'll be my first time and that's what's worrying me.  Got about 7 months to prepare but still worried that nerves will effect me.  

1 hour ago, Robert Lazar said:

My first electric guitar was a fender strat, I've disliked them ever since. 

Yep me too, not a fan.  Too bland for me.

32 minutes ago, FruitJuice said:

How was the nerves with the first gig? I know you've done it before but do you get nervous.  I've got the chance of being the support for someone next year. It'll be my first time and that's what's worrying me.  Got about 7 months to prepare but still worried that nerves will effect me.  

As soon as we started playing I settled down. We did an open mic at Dreadnought Rock Bathgate a couple months ago. Teenage Kicks, soon as we kicked off one of the guitars was horrendously out of tune. It was awful.

Went up again later on and smashed it. Just gotta soldier on. 

2 minutes ago, Jamhammer said:

As soon as we started playing I settled down. We did an open mic at Dreadnought Rock Bathgate a couple months ago. Teenage Kicks, soon as we kicked off one of the guitars was horrendously out of tune. It was awful.

Went up again later on and smashed it. Just gotta soldier on. 

I only have to do a handful of songs  I'll be alright.  I'll just imagine that if I okay well I'll get a middle aged groupie  

29 minutes ago, Gashauskis9 said:

Yep me too, not a fan.  Too bland for me.

I don't like the look of them either to be honest. 

Telecasters are nice, I had a Baja Mexican job that played terrible mind you. Looked the part haha. 

I

36 minutes ago, FruitJuice said:

I only have to do a handful of songs  I'll be alright.  I'll just imagine that if I okay well I'll get a middle aged groupie  

Aye. Someone told me to imagine the audience naked. That’s the last thing I need. Sure you’ll be grand. It’s only rock n roll. Have to admit I’ve been surprised what people will dance to. Have had folk riding imaginary motorbikes round the dance floor when we did Born to be Wild

8 minutes ago, Jamhammer said:

Aye. Someone told me to imagine the audience naked. That’s the last thing I need. Sure you’ll be grand. It’s only rock n roll. Have to admit I’ve been surprised what people will dance to. Have had folk riding imaginary motorbikes round the dance floor when we did Born to be Wild

It must be feel excellent though  people dancing and enjoying themselves to the music you're playing live.  Must be a great feeling. 

21 minutes ago, FruitJuice said:

It must be feel excellent though  people dancing and enjoying themselves to the music you're playing live.  Must be a great feeling. 

Aye it’s a buzz. Couple of the guys are hyper critical if they make wee mistakes. I just brass it out. I’m not a professional. It’s a bit tricky playing songs you’re nit keen on personally but that’s what being in a band is about I suppose.

We did The Big Beach Busk at Porty and that was a blast. Made about a fiver each 😀

1 minute ago, Jamhammer said:

Aye it’s a buzz. Couple of the guys are hyper critical if they make wee mistakes. I just brass it out. I’m not a professional. It’s a bit tricky playing songs you’re nit keen on personally but that’s what being in a band is about I suppose.

We did The Big Beach Busk at Porty and that was a blast. Made about a fiver each 😀

I've heard folk say that about playing songs that they're keen on.  as you say, part of the crack.  I learnt a lot playing songs on the bass that I wouldn't normally play.  Had to play James brown night train  after that  we gotta get out of this place was easy.  

Not exactly a classic but i'm loving  this lot. 

Not enough guitars in this world.

It's all about the looks and how much money can be made these days. **** that shit. 

Edited by Robert Lazar

8 hours ago, Robert Lazar said:

Not exactly a classic but i'm loving  this lot. 

Not enough guitars in this world.

It's all about the looks and how much money can be made these days. **** that shit. 

😀

Can remember my old man saying that 35 years ago! 

1 minute ago, davemclaren said:

Too many strings. 

Get your prog on Dave! 

Animals as leaders have a drummer and two 8 string guitarists. 

My favourite band of all time. 

1 minute ago, indianajones said:

Get your prog on Dave! 

Animals as leaders have a drummer and two 8 string guitarists. 

My favourite band of all time. 

It’s a big enough challenge playing 6 strings. 😎

• 4 months later...
All roads lead to Gorgie

I thought I would bump this as I am sure lots of people will be looking to pick up Guitars or any musical instruments for that matter in the next few months as a distraction. 

Post how you getting on annoying all and sundry with your playing?

davemclaren
20 minutes ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

I thought I would bump this as I am sure lots of people will be looking to pick up Guitars or any musical instruments for that matter in the next few months as a distraction. 

Post how you getting on annoying all and sundry with your playing?

Luckily I have a wee room through the back where I can play one of my 11 guitars. 😄

All roads lead to Gorgie
1 hour ago, davemclaren said:

Luckily I have a wee room through the back where I can play one of my 11 guitars. 😄

I will stick to my three but the temptation is there to add more as I am becoming addicted to those sound comparisons you get online. A bought an electric acoustic recently and keep having to remind myself to turn any overdrive on the amp off first as it blasts it out much louder than the strat I am used to playing. :Shoosh:  Good luck with your playing.

On 07/11/2019 at 18:12, Jamhammer said:

Classic Rock and Indie stuff. Undertones, Stones, Black Crowes, Quo, etc. Not been going long. 2nd gig Sat 16th. Biggest “gig” do far Cousland village 

Edited by micole

My band have had to cancel a couple of gigs. Just got a new Fender P Bass as well. Gutted 

1 hour ago, Jamhammer said:

What did you mean to post Micole?

Sorry mate was going to wish you the best of luck for your 2nd gig when I realised the date....doh!!. Anyhoo my band have a gig week on Saturday at No2 Baker Street Stirling, think it will get pulled...😫😫

davemclaren
11 hours ago, micole said:

Sorry mate was going to wish you the best of luck for your 2nd gig when I realised the date....doh!!. Anyhoo my band have a gig week on Saturday at No2 Baker Street Stirling, think it will get pulled...😫😫

One of my bands played a gig on Saturday night. Busy and went well. I was a bit nervous, due to Corona risks, but glad I did it as it lifted my spirits a bit. 

Future gigs now starting to be cancelled.

I’ve been at 3 or 4 Wednesday night jam sessions at No 2 Baker Street over the years as my mate from Larbert goes. 

43 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

One of my bands played a gig on Saturday night. Busy and went well. I was a bit nervous, due to Corona risks, but glad I did it as it lifted my spirits a bit. 

Future gigs now starting to be cancelled.

I’ve been at 3 or 4 Wednesday night jam sessions at No 2 Baker Street over the years as my mate from Larbert goes. 

Good stuff. It is a great wee gig we have been regulars in there for a while ( once every 6 weeks or so) always packed and good fun, sad times indeed ,I have no doubt this will not be the last gig that might get pulled. Rock oot.

12 hours ago, micole said:

It’s a shame, we’re just really getting going and gonna have to take a break. One of the guitar players self isolating.

In the grand scheme of things it’s nothing really though. Back to bedroom bassist. Got a huge list of songs the band want to try so will try to get into them

Obviously I’m biased but my favourite is my own main guitar! PRS Tremonti (Wood Library) 

Edited by JamboMarc

davemclaren
1 hour ago, JamboMarc said:

Obviously I’m biased but my favourite is my own main guitar! PRS Tremonti (Wood Library) 

They look amazing but how do they play?

22 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

They look amazing but how do they play?

Amazing! I used to play a Gibson Les Paul but this is on another level in my opinion. Fingers just glide along the fretboard, just feels so smooth to play! 

davemclaren
17 minutes ago, JamboMarc said:

Amazing! I used to play a Gibson Les Paul but this is on another level in my opinion. Fingers just glide along the fretboard, just feels so smooth to play! 

Thanks. Must try one out when this crisis is all over. 

Greedy Jambo

I've had a couple of PRS guitars, very well made and they do play like a dream. 

I just can't grow to love them though, when you hold a proper gibson les paul.. you know you're holding something special. 

N Lincs Jambo

Just got news through today that two festivals we were due to play in May and June have been cancelled. Also the two rehearsal rooms we use have been closed until further notice. No football, no puns/restaurants and now no music. Seriously hoping that someone finds and posts some footage of Hearts games that I would love to see 😂

Greedy Jambo
7 minutes ago, N Lincs Jambo said:

Just got news through today that two festivals we were due to play in May and June have been cancelled. Also the two rehearsal rooms we use have been closed until further notice. No football, no puns/restaurants and now no music. Seriously hoping that someone finds and posts some footage of Hearts games that I would love to see 😂

Wtf has that got to do with electric guitars 😂

N Lincs Jambo
6 minutes ago, Space Pirate said:

Wtf has that got to do with electric guitars 😂

Probably nothing apart from us being an electric guitar band

Greedy Jambo
4 minutes ago, N Lincs Jambo said:

Probably nothing apart from us being an electric guitar band

Ah, cool. I appreciate you keeping the guitar alive. 

14 minutes ago, Space Pirate said:

Hate them. 

I don't hate any guitar, but if I had to pick one would be Fender Strat. Tele or LP Jnr second.

Greedy Jambo
2 minutes ago, JackLadd said:

I don't hate any guitar, but if I had to pick one would be Fender Strat. Tele or LP Jnr second.

I want a tele with strat pickups. ha. 

And funny you mention the LP Jnr, probably the best guitar i've ever played, 2015 one as well. Should never had sold it. Simplicity and so easy to play. 

2 minutes ago, Space Pirate said:

I want a tele with strat pickups. ha. 

And funny you mention the LP Jnr, probably the best guitar i've ever played, 2015 one as well. Should never had sold it. Simplicity and so easy to play. 

got a double cut Jnr in tv yellow with two p90s. The metal bridge plate in the tele is what adds the power to a single coil. Very simple guitar, around since 1950. 

On 07/11/2019 at 11:13, Robert Lazar said:

I had a Les Paul Standard but it was getting on a bit so got rid of it.

1969 i think it was made. 

Only guitar players would get that.

Ive owned about a dozen electric guitars over the years. Rossi and Young were my favourites guitarists so my favourites were the tele and the SG. Sadly my fingers gave up on me a few years ago and I couldn’t play them . Got rid of them all apart from the black SG. It’s not hugely valuable but I just couldn’t bear to part with it. Man what a sound when you ramped up the gain on it !!