Was MacLean really going to get sent off?

Diadora Van Basten

Diadora Van Basten

Seemed a bit of a bizarre decision to take off MacLean meaning we had used two subs in the first half.

I didn’t see much in the incident that merited him being taken off.

BRING_BACK_MO_BERTHA

He should never be starting any game for Hearts. Putting that aside, no he did nothing that warranted being close to a red, when u compare with Morelos and Defoe “smacks”...but then that’s Beaton for you.

2 minutes ago, Diadora Van Basten said:

Seemed a bit of a bizarre decision to take off MacLean meaning we had used two subs in the first half.

The guy is a buffoon and a second yellow was only a matter of time.

He can’t help himself, especially when it is Beaton who is card happy v Hearts.

Same thing happened last year in the Murrayfield semi. Early booking and he’s on his toes. 

I reckon this change was planned for half time anyway, with the idea that Uche would get us on the front foot in the latter part of the game. So only brought it forward by 5 mins to be safe.

Kicked the ball away twice in the first 5 mins, then harshly booked.

then has the lunge after the whistle had went(he knew it had went) 

I think his next foul or kick of the ball away and he’d have been off.

it was the correct call but the wrong one to start the dick in the first place.

He was at it directly from the kick off.  Shoving a Rangers player in the back off the ball.  Kicking the ball away.  Not much in the booking but followed that up with the lunge towards McGregor.

Hopefully he'll be frozen out and never be seen again. 

If Maclean played for either of those erse checks he'd probably have a career tally of two yellow cards.

Edited by Hearts_fan

2 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Beaton could have easily sent him off for his lunge on McGregor.

If he had been anywhere near McGregor, he would have gone down rolling about like he just stood on a landmine.  He wasnt.

Seems like he has a massive chip on his shoulder all the time. 

Empty jersey again  and how he is at hearts is baffling.  

If We had no injuries , he would  be no-where the first team , but today surely as a senior player he should be stepping up And leading by example , not acting like a liability that he was today. 

Captain Canada

He knew we'd already made a sub because of injury then behaves like that. 

He's approaching 40 and acts like a kid. Can't wait to see the back of him and quite a few others. 

I find it hard to believe that MacPhee has seen anything in MacLean during his time at the club to suggest he should be starting a cup semi-final or any other game for that matter. 

After today, I wouldn't mind Roy Keane coming in. This squad needs a serious reality check and someone to raise the standard. 

33 minutes ago, Diadora Van Basten said:

He was a certainty to get sent off.  

Another inspired piece of business from our previous manager.

Utter fraud today who young guys in the side would have been looking for a bit of leadership from.

42 minutes ago, Diadora Van Basten said:

Apart  from the fact hes effing useless !!

33 minutes ago, Hearts_fan said:

If Maclean played for either of those erse checks he'd probably have a career tally of two yellow cards.

This.  Morelos not booked for doing the same thing throughout the whole game.

32 minutes ago, Jambo66 said:

If he had been anywhere near McGregor, he would have gone down rolling about like he just stood on a landmine.  He wasnt.

It doesn’t matter if he’s touched him or not, it was a bookable offence given the nature of his challenge and he’d already been booked. 

Could have been given a second yellow. Was given a final chance by Beaton and McPhee chose to save him from himself. Make no bones about it, MacLean sold the jerseys today. And idiot who I hope I never have to se play for us again. Not hated a hearts player so much since Jamie Hamill left.

BRAVEHEART1874

he usually is chit, played ok . Very soft yellow card the raging bulls was worse yet nuffing? He was onside and nothing in the sevcos goalkeeper challenge but yes could see him getting red carded but ffs keep the glasgae ref cheating untll they need it lmao 

One of the few calls McPhee got right. Just can’t understand why successive managers think McLean is anything but a passenger (with a bus pass). 

1 hour ago, 1874robbo said:

Kicked the ball away twice in the first 5 mins, then harshly booked.

then has the lunge after the whistle had went(he knew it had went) 

I think his next foul or kick of the ball away and he’d have been off.

it was the correct call but the wrong one to start the dick in the first place.

Spot on.

1 hour ago, Gigolo-Aunt said:

Another inspired piece of business from our previous manager.

Utter fraud today who young guys in the side would have been looking for a bit of leadership from.

Was he not signed because his experience would be valuable in the dressing room? He's been here for two seasons and contributed very little, if anything at all.  Levein has cost us thousands.  We were told after cathro that levein would need time to sort our the mess he left.  How long is it going to take the new manager with all the long term contracts levein handed out? Has he left the first team in much as a mess as cathro did? And still we feel we owe it to him to give him some role at the club.  This just shows the hold leveins power has at the club.  No other manager gets sacked and kept on in the background, so why isnit different for him?  Get him out the club, he has left us in a shambolic position.  Does he not even have the self respect to just leave the club?  Hate him? Not as a person, but as a power mad football manager, without a doubt.  His ego and stubbornness has cost us this season and his presence at the club is just a reminder of what we have went through.  Why does he have such a hold of the club that we need to keep him here? It's not right.

2 hours ago, Diadora Van Basten said:

If you didn't see that he was going to get sent off then you didn't watch the game.

2 hours ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Beaton could have easily sent him off for his lunge on McGregor.

Actually no he couldn't. Or that would have been blatant cheating.

1 hour ago, TheBigO said:

Has to be his last ever appearance for us

It should but you just know it won't be.

Nearly 40 and running about acting like kid from the first whistle. 

44 minutes ago, Bunny Munro said:

Could have been given a second yellow. Was given a final chance by Beaton and McPhee chose to save him from himself. Make no bones about it, MacLean sold the jerseys today. And idiot who I hope I never have to se play for us again. Not hated a hearts player so much since Jamie Hamill left.

"sold the jerseys"?

Have a word with yourself.

2 hours ago, Scott980612 said:

Seems like he has a massive chip on his shoulder all the time. 

Empty jersey again  and how he is at hearts is baffling.  

If We had no injuries , he would  be no-where the first team , but today surely as a senior player he should be stepping up And leading by example , not acting like a liability that he was today. 

Good Post. 

He would have been quite happy to have been sent off because he is a lazy **** and does not give a toss about HMFC. 

Shocking signing and shocking attitude. 

Really detest this guy, always have. 😏

6 minutes ago, Spoleto said:

Actually no he couldn't. Or that would have been blatant cheating.

Actually, he could have because lunging in with your studs showing is a booking and he’d already been booked. 

He could well have been sent off and the way it was going he would have been after his next foul

No option but to remove him and he let the side down . It's not whether the decisions were right or wrong the fact was he made a stupid challenge whilst on a booking

He should never have been playing of course and MacPhee simply repeated Levein's mistakes in playing with a forward with no pace and one unable to hold onto the ball

His time has been and gone and unless we have a continuing injury crisis in his position that should be that

2 hours ago, David McCaig said:

The guy is a buffoon and a second yellow was only a matter of time.

This.  He has history for this sort of stupidity.

The thickest player in the Hearts squad and that's saying something.

1 minute ago, farin said:

He seemed more bothered about noising up the opposition from the off today, considering who was the ref that was a bad idea. Taken off before he was sent off & rightly so. 

That's what he is like every game. 

More interested in noising up the opposition team and their fans. 

Arrogance of the man is unbelievable. 

22 minutes ago, FruitJuice said:

Was he not signed because his experience would be valuable in the dressing room? He's been here for two seasons and contributed very little, if anything at all.  Levein has cost us thousands.  We were told after cathro that levein would need time to sort our the mess he left.  How long is it going to take the new manager with all the long term contracts levein handed out? Has he left the first team in much as a mess as cathro did? And still we feel we owe it to him to give him some role at the club.  This just shows the hold leveins power has at the club.  No other manager gets sacked and kept on in the background, so why isnit different for him?  Get him out the club, he has left us in a shambolic position.  Does he not even have the self respect to just leave the club?  Hate him? Not as a person, but as a power mad football manager, without a doubt.  His ego and stubbornness has cost us this season and his presence at the club is just a reminder of what we have went through.  Why does he have such a hold of the club that we need to keep him here? It's not right.

This 100 per cent. 

9 minutes ago, Spoleto said:

"sold the jerseys"?

Have a word with yourself.

He's in the team for his experience. He chose to act like an arse and was lucky not be sent off. He had to be subbed of which ruined our whole game plan. 

1 minute ago, Bunny Munro said:

He's in the team for his experience. He chose to act like an arse and was lucky not be sent off. He had to be subbed of which ruined our whole game plan. 

No he wasn't lucky not to be sent off. 

He didn't even deserve a yellow.

1 minute ago, Spoleto said:

No he wasn't lucky not to be sent off. 

He didn't even deserve a yellow.

I disagree on both points. 

I've no issue with the first yellow (expect that Morales got away with the same many times without being booked). And if he had been booked for lunging at MacGregor after the whistle then he couldn't have argued. 

That's my opinion.