bad workmen

JamboFamily

JamboFamily

the job i got sent today is nothing short of a disaster!:mad:

its an extension and 6 polish people done it and never tied in to wall,also never insulated cavites,plus the worst of all no drainage!!

the customer said they had been taken draws of job which was up 2 60k!

now my company taken over and its a re-do:mad:

JamboFamily
Can you please get one of the Polish to explain what you are talking about....;)

sorry for using builders terms,but these poles r murder!never builders

I will bet most polish workmen are far better than british ones.

I bet the poles work harder, cheaper and generally dont take the mick as much

Just a guess though

Ray Winstone

its an extension and 6 polish people done it and never tied in to wall,also never insulated cavites,plus the worst of all no drainage!!

What is "been taken draws of job"

JamboFamily
What is "been taken draws of job"

taken money when so much gets done in stages

JamboFamily

Just a guess though

cheaper and harder dosent mean better!id imagine there r decent ones but yet to see them

and the problem with that?

Tbh im sure a polish builder has less equity than a british firm or equivalent to draw on for materials and living costs etc so cant afford to fund a 60k job and living expenses out of their own pocket

Ray Winstone
taken money when so much gets done in stages

Surely that is the clients fault for being gullable enough to go for that.

Everyone knows you pay once the work is up to the standard you expect.

(my Dad is a surveyor so has no time for these bandits.)

cheaper and harder dosent mean better!id imagine there r decent ones but yet to see them

Tbh I think your probably just one of those tradesmen who doesnt like the fact the poles and other easten european migrants are bringing down prices and increasing expectations of people

We recently had some work done and the poles did there bit far quicker and far more reasonably costwise than the british guy did

The poles are here to work and whilst Im sure there is the odd exception I think most of them are probably a better bet than your local builder, but you as a local builder is clearly not going to agree.

coppercrutch
sorry for using builders terms,but these poles r murder!never builders

Their birds are tidy though.;)

John Findlay

I am guessing you are working(if at all) during your school summer holidays?

John

JamboFamily
Tbh I think your probably just one of those tradesmen who doesnt like the fact the poles and other easten european migrants are bringing down prices and increasing expectations of people

We recently had some work done and the poles did there bit far quicker and far more reasonably costwise than the british guy did

The poles are here to work and whilst Im sure there is the odd exception I think most of them are probably a better bet than your local builder, but you as a local builder is clearly not going to agree.

this is why the guy got them in due to cost and time,and backfired

there may well be decent ones but yet to find it!dosent bother me as get plenty of work anyway!

Prancer you are a banker so stick to banking.

I work in the building trade and have found that at least half of the immigrant workmen i have dealt with are cowboys,although they dont mind a days hard graft.

eddie fenwick

these guys are cowboys of the highest order,when are people going to wake up to this,they are cheap for one reason and one reason only,THEYRE ROUGH,how can someone be a stonemason one day and a plumber the next,you get what you pay for,FACT

JamboFamily
these guys are cowboys of the highest order,when are people going to wake up to this,they are cheap for one reason and one reason only,THEYRE ROUGH,how can someone be a stonemason one day and a plumber the next,you get what you pay for,FACT

cheers eddie,knew one who was a tiler was ok but difficult floors or walls he rough!

seen him recentley in paint shop impersonating a painter

Pete Seeger

Just a guess though

I quite often agree with you, but as someone who works in the building trade, I'm telling you your talking swollocks.

You can "bet" all you want, I'm telling you the vast majority of Polish workers in this country are most certainly not skilled. Yes they're cheap. But what good is a cheap job thats done wrong. Yes there are tradesman that take the mick, but there are workers in all industries that take the mick and it's not just Brickies, Plumbers and sparks. :mad:

eddie fenwick
cheers eddie,knew one who was a tiler was ok but difficult floors or walls he rough!

seen him recentley in paint shop impersonating a painter

im a spread(yup ed the spread)and was watching a couple of them dotting plasterboard on a wall,they used every tiny bit of board they could find,it ended up looking like a mosaic(sp),the next day they were doing the electrics:dribble:

eddie fenwick
I quite often agree with you, but as someone who works in the building trade, I'm telling you your talking swollocks.

You can "bet" all you want, I'm telling you the vast majority of Polish workers in this country are most certainly not skilled. Yes they're cheap. But what good is a cheap job thats done wrong. Yes there are tradesman that take the mick, but there are workers in all industries that take the mick and it's not just Brickies, Plumbers and sparks. :mad:

not plasterers:p

Is there anyone on here who isnt a tradesman who has employed a migrant builder who wants to back up the tradesmen about them all being useless? :rolleyes:

From what I have heard and seen they are generally grafters who work there socks off whereas a lot of british tradesmen overcharge, skive and are unreliable

eddie fenwick
Is there anyone on here who isnt a tradesman who has employed a migrant builder who wants to back up the tradesmen about them all being useless? :rolleyes:

From what I have heard and seen they are generally grafters who work there socks off whereas a lot of british tradesmen overcharge, skive and are unreliable

funny that,i tend to find the same with bankers:)

jambopompey

i have worked beside a couple of good polish brickies, but i have also worked beside some right polish cowboys, what you will find that in the trade if your a cowboy you get found out quickly.

i did have my own business last year but due to being undercut massively i had to call it quits, that was me not really making any profit as it was, a few jobs i priced i was told that i would have to half my quote, so to get the jobs i had to lose money, so how are we overcharging

JamboFamily

does that mean there good cause there grafters!:wacko:

Pete Seeger
i have worked beside a couple of good polish brickies, but i have also worked beside some right polish cowboys, what you will find that in the trade if your a cowboy you get found out quickly.

i did have my own business last year but due to being undercut massively i had to call it quits, that was me not really making any profit as it was, a few jobs i priced i was told that i would have to half my quote, so to get the jobs i had to lose money, so how are we overcharging

But but but we all make 70 grand a year!!! I recently went self employed and I've realised myself it's not easy. Some people beleive everything they read in the papers regarding how much us tradesman earn.

And Prancer, I don't think anyone is doubting that most Poles will graft. It's not the graft thats in question. It's the quality.

does that mean there good cause there grafters!:wacko:

I notice how we are still waiting for a non tradesman to back all you tradesmen up :)

eddie fenwick
I notice how we are still waiting for a non tradesman to back all you tradesmen up :)

post 21

post 21

I would give you that if I thought the comment was based remotely on the work as opposed to race:rolleyes:

eddie fenwick
I would give you that if I thought the comment was based remotely on the work as opposed to race:rolleyes:

i wouldnt know about that but what i could show you is letters from customers praising my employees for their standard of work among other things,one being from john and tracey robertson

Pete Seeger

You stick to banking and I promise I won't judge how good you are at it. The reason for this is because i don't know the work therefore it would be stupid for me to comment. Try doing the same with things you know nothing about. :rolleyes:

And now what you are hearing is the opposite!:confused: Just as valid an opinion as any other.

Not had much interaction with Polish workers out in the sticks but I went to see a roofing job in town recently and found that the Polish guys on site had put the roofing underlay down then sarked over it.:) Never seen anything like it. They are good grafters but don't know how it is done here. Roofing in Scotland and England is so different, never mind Europe.

Brian Whittaker's Tache

Pay peanuts, get monkeys!

Firstly, If I knew f-all about building I'd get someone to look over my project who had some semblance of a clue, ie an architect perhaps? If you knew feck all about cars would you hand over ?60k to someone you didn't know from a bar of soap, for car before getting someone in the know to check it out?

Secondly this aint a Pole problem, it's a greed problem. People always want the cheapest and all they see is the price when it comes to building work. My old man has a reputable builders in Edinburgh and since the day he started he's always lost jobs to guys working on the side or guys working out the back of a van. He has a fleet of vans, an office, a yard and is insured etc etc and all this has to be paid for. If a job goes wrong with him you know where to find him. Good luck doing the same if you've went with the guy with a mobile number scrawled on the side of his transit.

People just think the building trade is a doddle and we're all just donkeys that work in it and we're all the same. Proper workers with a trade don't do 4 year apprenticeships for feck all.

jambopompey
Not had much interaction with Polish workers out in the sticks but I went to see a roofing job in town recently and found that the Polish guys on site had put the roofing underlay down then sarked over it.:) Never seen anything like it. They are good grafters but don't know how it is done here. Roofing in Scotland and England is so different, never mind Europe.

that can be the problem with tradesmen from other countries, they don't have the same standards as we do here in the UK, to become a proper electrician you must have a SJIB grade card JIB in england and wales.

one of the firms i used to work with had a polish electricians mate (qualified polish electrician) but he struggles with our rules, regulations and standards, he is getting better and should become an electrician soon, but he has done it correctly.

that is why UK tradesmen are usually preferred for overseas jobs, due to the standards we have to work to

i wouldnt know about that but what i could show you is letters from customers praising my employees for their standard of work among other things,one being from john and tracey robertson

Who is the emplyee you are referring to??;)

Pete Seeger
Pay peanuts, get monkeys!

Firstly, If I knew f-all about building I'd get someone to look over my project who had some semblance of a clue, ie an architect perhaps? If you knew feck all about cars would you hand over ?60k to someone you didn't know from a bar of soap, for car before getting someone in the know to check it out?

Secondly this aint a Pole problem, it's a greed problem. People always want the cheapest and all they see is the price when it comes to building work. My old man has a reputable builders in Edinburgh and since the day he started he's always lost jobs to guys working on the side or guys working out the back of a van. He has a fleet of vans, an office, a yard and is insured etc etc and all this has to be paid for. If a job goes wrong with him you know where to find him. Good luck doing the same if you've went with the guy with a mobile number scrawled on the side of his transit.

People just think the building trade is a doddle and we're all just donkeys that work in it and we're all the same. Proper workers with a trade don't do 4 year apprenticeships for feck all.

Very accurate post :)

Archived