This time last week

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Would not have believed it would be unbeaten. 

3 games 7 days,  2 high profile and no luck at all with injuries. 

Players have battled hard this week and though far from perfect,  the will to win and battle has returned. 

Plenty to work on.  And we will. 

Feeling a good bit better this week, but as the manager said patient is still in the ward.

Brighton Jambo

Win against Kilmarnock and I think we go into the international break with cautious optimism as that should see some players starting to return  

Next week is huge. An absolute must win. The international break then is perfect timing. 

Proud of the players this week. Have not downed tools. Have not wallowed in self pity. Have fought for their manager. 

Overall though still brutal and a million miles away from the level we want. Have to say the standard outside the OF this season is brutal. 

5 minutes ago, hearts00 said:

Next week is huge. An absolute must win. The international break then is perfect timing. 

How many “must win” games have we had this season now? Think I am starting to lose count.

3 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

I just wish we would stop with the 3 at the back especially how today was with only one real CB.

Fecking scares me 🤣

I get what CL is trying to do with three at the back as, on the face of it, it should offer us width while keeping us strong in centre midfield. It just never seems to work and I don’t understand why.

Will Naismith be fit for Killie? 

We have a full week to now prepare and make sure we win that game. 

It’s a massive game now going forward with tough games at the back of it. 

Just now, rick witter said:

It’s not massive.Bit dramatic 

1 minute ago, south morocco said:

It’s not massive.Bit dramatic 

Don’t win and it’s 1 point or 0 points in 2 matches against St Mirren and Killie that would be massive in terms of Levein saying if we have turned the corner or not would you agree? 

Win the game and we go into the break feeling pretty positive and give injured players time to get fit. Souttar, Naismith Haring etc 

A_A wehatethehibs

Well it’s certainly relieved some of my anger but really we needed a win today and we need a win against Kilmarnock 

We are playing catch up in the league and cannot afford to go on another bad run. We must make a habit of finding a way to pick up maximum points in games, draws are no use to us. 

1 minute ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Well it’s certainly relieved some of my anger but really we needed a win today and we need a win against Kilmarnock 

We are playing catch up in the league and cannot afford to go on another bad run. We must make a habit of finding a way to pick up maximum points in games, draws are no use to us. 

Would be better winning one then losing one than draws like you say they are no use. 

Not convinced the 8th match is must win.    At the same time,   we must win some games soon or we'll have a bit of catching up to do.     I find myself merely viewing the next upcoming match as they come along.     

Lord Beni of Gorgie

After the 2 games that looked after themselves,  the one today and next week against stuffy sides,  4 points an ok return. 

Saturday night is for the roaster ordinarily, no surprise to some responses. 

Naismith Haring Souttar Walker Washington. Then Halkett crocked in 25 minutes. Damour soon after,  we have managed that well today without them considering St Mirren sat on their arse for 7 days as we battled through 2 high intensity matches. 

As Neil McCann commented Hearts looking like the fittest at the end. Deserves a rational bit of credit for effort if lacking creativity. But with those players out, not wholly surprising 

A_A wehatethehibs
2 minutes ago, rick witter said:

Would be better winning one then losing one than draws like you say they are no use. 

Have to say I am happy to have seen us come back from goals down against both Hibs and Aberdeen. For me that’s the big thing coming out this week, it shows that there is fight and desire there. For so long we’ve seen heads go down when we lose goals. Hope we can kick on and get a win against Kilmarnock 3 points are desperately needed. Then we can regroup and hopefully get a couple of players back fit. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
16 minutes ago, rick witter said:

Don’t win and it’s 1 point or 0 points in 2 matches against St Mirren and Killie that would be massive in terms of Levein saying if we have turned the corner or not would you agree? 

Win the game and we go into the break feeling pretty positive and give injured players time to get fit. Souttar, Naismith Haring etc 

1 minute ago, Victorian said:

Not convinced the 8th match is must win.    At the same time,   we must win some games soon or we'll have a bit of catching up to do.     I find myself merely viewing the next upcoming match as they come along.     

Merit in both of these. 

Week to week,  100% commitment and concentration,  hopefully its enough 

29 minutes ago, rick witter said:

I cant see him being risked what with a potential break during international week. Gives him an extra bit of time.

2 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

I cant see him being risked what with a potential break during international week. Gives him an extra bit of time.

Naismith MUST be fit for the LC semi 

6 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Yeah probably right. I will be raging if he gets called up for Scotland!! 

Surely that won’t happen. 

Loser mentality on here can’t believe people are happy with a draw away to St.Midden. Of course these games define our season. These are the kind of games that get decide if your top 3 or 6th or below. Madness

46 minutes ago, farin said:

The next ½ doz games could define our season when you look at them. 

The first 6 league games defined our season. Close the stable door.............the pony has long gone. welcome to 5th/6th/7th/8th place

25 minutes ago, gedster said:

The first 6 league games defined our season. Close the stable door.............the pony has long gone. welcome to 5th/6th/7th/8th place

Wouldn’t go that far yet. But if we don’t go on a decent run of league results in October/November you are probably right. 

2 minutes ago, TheOak88 said:

Wouldn’t go that far yet. But if we don’t go on a decent run of league results in October/November you are probably right. 

Injuries, crap tactics, crap manager, crap signings, no proven goalscorer, flaky captain, injuries, ugly football, unfortunately 5th place or worse beckons

Dusk_Till_Dawn
30 minutes ago, Cade said:

Beat Hibs away in the league

Dumped Aberdeen out of a cup

Drew away to St Midden

Not the worst week in the history of HMFC

It’s the bigger picture though. I can’t believe we’re back to taking baby steps, considering how long this regime have been in place. I just don’t understand why we’re persisting with it.

35 minutes ago, gedster said:

Nah. Everyone outside the OF is so bad this season that all things 3rd and below remain perfectly possible.

Most of the times a team has a good season it's on the back of an excellent start, it breeds confidence and players play above themselves. The only real exception in recent years was Clarke taking over at Kilmarnock in October and turning their season around.

The way we are playing just now is how we are going to be this season, there is no evidence of a new tactical set up in the first 2 months and all the issues of the second half of last season remain. We are occasionally decent for 20 minutes in games but it's the usual scuffling after second balls when attacking and getting in as many crosses as possible. We never seem to string 2 good halves of football together or go 2 clear in games and win comfortably. I do think we have better players but the coaching is sub standard and until that changes all these issues will never be resolved. 

Edited by Jodami

1 minute ago, Jodami said:

Most of the times a team has a good season it's on the back of an excellent start, it breeds confidence and players play above themselves. The only real exception in recent years was Clarke taking over at Kilmarnock in October and turning their season around.

The way we are playing just now is how we are going to be this season, there is no evidence of a new tactical set up in the first 2 months and all the issues of the second half of last season remain. We are occasionally decent for 20 minutes in games but it's the usual scuffling after second balls when attacking and getting in as many crosses as possible. We never seem to string 2 good halves of football together or go 2 clear in games and win comfortably. I do think we have better players but the coaching is sub standard and until that changes all these issues will never be resolved. 

I started out this season thinking 5th. I'm still thinking that. But the difference between 7th and 3rd is not great. Not in this season's Scottish Premiership septic tank. 

11 minutes ago, gedster said:

Injuries, crap tactics, crap manager, crap signings, no proven goalscorer, flaky captain, injuries, ugly football, unfortunately 5th place or worse beckons

I don’t doubt it mate. Just saying that it’s still possible to challenge for higher after only 7 games. 

Its more once you reach 12/13 game point that you start to see the league table shaping up. 

47 minutes ago, Cade said:

Beat Hibs away in the league

Dumped Aberdeen out of a cup

Drew away to St Midden

Not the worst week in the history of HMFC

We are going into October with 1 league win to our name. 

Lets not dress it up as anything other than what it is. 

2 minutes ago, TheOak88 said:

I don’t doubt it mate. Just saying that it’s still possible to challenge for higher after only 7 games. 

Its more once you reach 12/13 game point that you start to see the league table shaping up. 

Indeed. Though speaking of league tables, I can hardly recall seeing a weirder looking table than this one so early in a season:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/scottish-league-two/table

6 minutes ago, shaun.lawson said:

I started out this season thinking 5th. I'm still thinking that. But the difference between 7th and 3rd is not great. Not in this season's Scottish Premiership septic tank. 

Same applies to 3rd-20th for the EPL 😏

Just now, Nookie Bear said:

Same applies to 3rd-20th for the EPL 😏

It does! Well, 3rd to 9th... then 10th to 20th. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie

I think we went 11 points ahead of Aberdeen after game 9 last season. 

Be interesting to see how we get on with even 80% of a first choice team available 

55 minutes ago, shaun.lawson said:

I agree that the quality outside the arse  cheeks has dropped this season, this only exacerbates how annoying it is to see us performing so poorly. The thing that alarms me is in order to climb the league you need to go on a little run of 3 or 4 victories when you get an easier stretch of games and we don't look capable of that at the moment. 

Selkirkhmfc1874

Been good 6 days ! Any derby win always fantastic , getting to cup semi final and point yesterday at end of demanding week but yet again we jinxed with injury 

pettigrewsstylist
12 hours ago, GinRummy said:

I get what CL is trying to do with three at the back as, on the face of it, it should offer us width while keeping us strong in centre midfield. It just never seems to work and I don’t understand why.

People not familiar with it.

If we lose to Killie there is a high likelihood that we will finish the first quarter of the season bottom of the table!!!

Our next 4 matches are:

Kilmarnock - H

Rangers - H

Livingston - A

St Johnstone - A

The positive outcomes against Hibs/Aberdeen have bought Levein time, but the team selection, tactics and performance against St Mirren show that nothing has really changed and no lesson have been learned.

11 hours ago, TheOak88 said:

We are going into October with 1 league win to our name. 

Lets not dress it up as anything other than what it is. 

Bottom 6 crap??

Standards are dropping if we are all getting excited about the last week 

good as it has been it’s only really one win in  90 minutes and had to rely on

a penalty shootout to  defeat Aberdeen also a no scoring draw at St Mirren is nothing special 

12 hours ago, Jodami said:

I agree that the quality outside the arse  cheeks has dropped this season, this only exacerbates how annoying it is to see us performing so poorly. The thing that alarms me is in order to climb the league you need to go on a little run of 3 or 4 victories when you get an easier stretch of games and we don't look capable of that at the moment. 

It's double-edged. On the one hand, the absolute poverty of any quality at all below the top 2 means there's plenty of hope and time to climb back up the table. On the other, it'd make not finishing in the top 4, minimum, even more unacceptable.

2 hours ago, David McCaig said:

If we lose to Killie there is a high likelihood that we will finish the first quarter of the season bottom of the table!!!

Our next 4 matches are:

Kilmarnock - H

Rangers - H

Livingston - A

St Johnstone - A

The positive outcomes against Hibs/Aberdeen have bought Levein time, but the team selection, tactics and performance against St Mirren show that nothing has really changed and no lesson have been learned.

What team should have been selected?

How would you have revised our tactics after each of the 1st half injuries?

15 hours ago, Sir Gio said:

but as the manager said patient is still in the ward.

Still in the operating theatre more like, and it's very much touch and go if he'll pull through.