Hickey’s at the wheel

Beast Boy

Brauhauser2012

Inspirational for all the young players who are at Hearts and an example of the opportunity Hearts present for those considering a move to us in the future. The first time should watch the goals again as final preparation for Aberdeen to get back in the groove.

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• shed1874

• Mikey1874

• Bazzas right boot

• Last Laff

11 hours ago, Section Q said:

Foreign flag in the back ground. Hibs.....such an Edinburgh team eh...

Fun fact, but Hearts actually have the largest Irish contingent in the premiership currently with 5 first team players.

2 minutes ago, PhoenixHearts said:

Fun fact, but Hearts actually have the largest Irish contingent in the premiership currently with 5 first team players.

Yo!

43 minutes ago, PhoenixHearts said:

👍

A brilliant wee player and what a celebration!! Hopefully stays with us for another couple of seasons, for his own development, and then gets a big move down to the premiership.

11 hours ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

The rumour (third hand info) I’ve heard, is that he’s knocked that back. It’s only info that people on here know more about than I though. I’ll leave it to them. 👍

I don't like this rumour.

11 hours ago, DETTY29 said:

Sure Hickey hit his penalty with his right foot, firm to keeper's left but easy height.

Can't rememeber about Mulraney.

Edit - East Fife let you register for free highlights and checked.  Correct about Hickey, Mulraney was left foot to (his) bottom left hand corner and keeper going the wrong way.

Correct

https://heartstv.heartsfc.co.uk/tv/video/vod/2212

23 minutes ago, Famous 1874 said:

Loan back to us, a fat fee, a sell on fee and Meshino back/ along with maybe another one of their talents.

Sounds good. 

Portable Badger

The Aaron Hickey contract hitch with Hearts star firmly on Manchester City radar

The 17-year-old is already assured of a place in Gorgie folklore with his sensational winner against Hibs.

The 17-year-old is already assured of a place in Gorgie folklore with his sensational winner against Hibs.

Craig Levein reckons derby hero Aaron Hickey is a breeze to boss.

But the Hearts gaffer is working extra hard to make sure the youngster sticks around.

The 17-year-old has been a revelation since bursting in to the Tynecastle team and is already assured of a place in Gorgie folklore with his sensational winner against Hibs on Sunday.

The last-gasp victory eased some of the pressure on Levein but it also underlined why Hickey is one of the most in-demand kids in the country.

Manchester City have a strong interest and would love to nab the full-back while they can still class him as a homegrown player under English squad rules.

But Levein is confident he can cut the EPL big guns off at the pass and keep the unassuming kid a little longer.

2_19305694.jpg
(Image: SNS Group)

Hickey is under contract until the end of next season and the Jambos boss said: “We are in the middle of that just now. It has been quite difficult, though.

“He doesn’t have an agent. I’ve been dealing with his dad and it has been a little bit drawn out.

“But I’m confident we’ll get there in the end.

“It’s not bothering the boy. It’s not something he’s overly concerned about.”

Levein’s hand was forced by injuries but Hickey has slotted in and become a key player at Tynecastle.

The Hearts manager admitted the defender is a scoosh to manage and he’s hoping to get the chance for some time to come.

Levein said: “He just turns up and does his work, then goes home. He’s so low-maintenance you wouldn’t know he was in the building.

“He is the way he plays. Very calm and no bother at all.

“If they were all like him, this job would be a doddle. He’s not a boy I really need to worry about getting carried away.

“He’s not driving about in a flash car, he doesn’t have one of these designer handbags or whatever they call it!

“It’s like any young player who’s playing. There’s always going to be interest.

“The big thing for him is he is getting game time.

“For kids his age, getting first-team football is the hardest thing to get coming through the academy. I’ve no qualms about playing them if they are good enough.

“I’m glad to get rewarded by Aaron scoring the winning goal on Sunday but he’s also helping the team, which in turn helps me.

“We’re giving him valuable experience but he’s rewarding me with his performances.

“So you could say we are getting on quite well!”

0_19305686.jpg
(Image: SNS Group)

Hickey’s late heroics didn’t half ease some of the heat on the boss. Hearts fans were partying on Sunday a week on after protesting to get the gaffer out.

Levein savoured another derby success but didn’t exactly break out the champagne as he knows his side are not out of the woods yet following a wretched start to the season. 

A place in the Betfred Cup last four would be another step away from the flak but Aberdeen at Tynecastle tonight could have other plans. 

Either way, Levein didn’t slump into despair before the Hibs win and he refused to go overboard after it. 

He said: “Did I celebrate? No our league position doesn’t allow me to celebrate. 

“We have to do a lot better. It’s a start, that’s all. There’s no time for celebrating just now.

“To be fair even last week they were bubbly and Ryotaro Meshino has helped with that, he’s different and he has given the place a lift.

“I have not come in any days and felt there has been a level of feeling sorry for themselves, that hasn’t happened.

“Obviously there’s concern, we weren’t in the league position we wanted to be in and we haven’t done anything yet to send a message to anyone that we’ve turned the corner other than get three points. 

“So the game against Aberdeen and the game at the weekend now become really important. 

“Beating Aberdeen is always a difficult thing to do but if we can do that, it will help.”

0_Screen-Shot-2019-09-22-at-173644.png
(Image: Sky Sports)

Defender Michael Smith was thrilled to give his gaffer a break but he admitted silverware would be extra sweet this season. 

He said: “The manager has been the same through the bad run. After the game, he was delighted in the changing room 
afterwards. He has got some record against them as a player and a coach and is always happy when we beat them. 

“The cup runs are massive. We got to the semi-final of this competition and the final of the Scottish Cup last season. We want to take that a step further.”

The club and Levein are no mugs, they know the asset that we have with Aaron so I'm not surprised that we have been in negotiations to extend his contract for some time.

His dad will want what is best for Aaron, that's his job.

Id have no issue with Aaron going to Man City, who wouldn't want that at his age?  However, he only needs to look at others who have gone down south too early and disappeared.  Play 100 games for Hearts, make sure the club is compensated and then go with everyones blessing.

On 23/09/2019 at 18:48, Normthebarman said:

We can offer him a 3 year deal now. You'd have to expect us to be thinking about it. 

Should have been offered that after the cup final,his quality was there for everybody to see,if he does not sign

a extension,we have missed out massively,fingers crosssed!

5 minutes ago, ford donald said:

Should have been offered that after the cup final,his quality was there for everybody to see,if he does not sign

a extension,we have missed out massively,fingers crosssed!

Seems it was offered. It's just taking time. Seems all okay just now. 

1 hour ago, Finlay James said:

The club and Levein are no mugs, they know the asset that we have with Aaron so I'm not surprised that we have been in negotiations to extend his contract for some time.

His dad will want what is best for Aaron, that's his job.

Id have no issue with Aaron going to Man City, who wouldn't want that at his age?  However, he only needs to look at others who have gone down south too early and disappeared.  Play 100 games for Hearts, make sure the club is compensated and then go with everyones blessing.

Exactly this, he should look at Tierney’s career to date, who now has a great move, good fee for Celtic, will be on top wages and will be straight into the first team when fit. 

Hackney Hearts

On 22/09/2019 at 17:11,  Maroonjam said: 

Boy is class. Best I have seen at his age in a maroon shirt

On 22/09/2019 at 18:43, John Findlay said:

That was Eammon Bannon for me.

He was my hero too when he broke into the team - but Bannon made his debut at 18 years 6 months, positively ancient compared to Hickey. 

37 minutes ago, Hackney Hearts said:

He was my hero too when he broke into the team - but Bannon made his debut at 18 years 6 months, positively ancient compared to Hickey. 

Still the most skilful of the two

2 hours ago, Hackney Hearts said:

Bannon was so much my hero, that when the wee, greasy, drunken Hibby sold him to Chelsea, I burned my scarf and posted him the ashes.  It was years before I bought a replacement.

Hackney Hearts
3 minutes ago, Alec Eiffel said:

I burned my scarf and posted him the ashes.

Seriously? :lol:  That's pretty cool. I wonder if anyone's done that to Craig yet....

We should have a thread for "most imaginative protests".

15 minutes ago, Alec Eiffel said:

Bannon was so much my hero, that when the wee, greasy, drunken Hibby sold him to Chelsea, I burned my scarf and posted him the ashes.  It was years before I bought a replacement.

Who was the wee, greasy, drunken hubby?  Bobby parker?  One of my moat depressing days in football was watching sportscene and seeing Bannon playing number 6 for hibs v Dundee.  Still not sure if I have forgiven him for that.  A beautiful man tarnished by that one thing.  

Bazzas right boot
On 23/09/2019 at 21:33, PhoenixHearts said:

🇮🇪

No NI flag? 

Bazzas right boot
7 hours ago, Apache Mal said:

The City scout has been sat in front of me at the last two games. Will check to see if he’s there tonight. 

City are going to chuck £2-£5m (big window I know) at us with a loan back. 

They'll want him to be included as a underage player for European games(going forward) I reckon. 

Get them young, fill their quota 8n the future. 

5 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

🇮🇪

No NI flag? 

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🧡close enough?...🤦‍♂️

Fun fact 2: all of our penalties in the shootout today were scored by playersfrom the island of Ireland... And what great penalties they were.😁

reports Southampton looking at the young lad.

Southampton have become the latest club to take an interest in Aaron Hickey, according to the Daily Record.
The Saints have reportedly been monitoring the full-back since the end of last season when the then-16-year-old made his full debut against Celtic before starring in the Scottish Cup final.

Hickey has been excellent this season and appears to have established himself as the club's first-choice left-back.

6 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

reports Southampton looking at the young lad.

Southampton have become the latest club to take an interest in Aaron Hickey, according to the Daily Record.
The Saints have reportedly been monitoring the full-back since the end of last season when the then-16-year-old made his full debut against Celtic before starring in the Scottish Cup final.

Hickey has been excellent this season and appears to have established himself as the club's first-choice left-back.

Indeed. We might actually make something from a sell on clause at Southampton. Would be the better of the two options.

4 minutes ago, colinmaroon said:

Rangers interested!!!

Oh ma sides!

Anything to make themselves sound current. Quite sad really.

16 minutes ago, colinmaroon said:

Rangers interested!!!

Oh ma sides!

Bit early for the 'mind games' to start before the semi final but I would expect a lot more of this shite the closer we get to it.

6 minutes ago, Russ1977 said:

Hickey has been quality since breaking in to the first team. My only worry about him making it at the top level might be lack off real pace. 

Two footed Pirlo in years to come.

On 25/09/2019 at 16:57, FruitJuice said:

Who was the wee, greasy, drunken hubby?  Bobby parker?  One of my moat depressing days in football was watching sportscene and seeing Bannon playing number 6 for hibs v Dundee.  Still not sure if I have forgiven him for that.  A beautiful man tarnished by that one thing.  

Willie Ormond I'm guessing.  Parker was no Hibby, that's for sure.  Played for and captained us before ending up on the Board.

45 minutes ago, RobNox said:

Willie Ormond I'm guessing.  Parker was no Hibby, that's for sure.  Played for and captained us before ending up on the Board.

I read it as someone at board level.  I didn't think Parker had any Hibs in him but couldn't think of anyone else from the board at that time.   Ormond is one of the ultimate greasy hobos.  I was only in first year and thought getting ormond was a big thing.  Wow!  What was the reaction amongst older jambos when he was appointed due to his hibs connections?

34 minutes ago, FruitJuice said:

I read it as someone at board level.  I didn't think Parker had any Hibs in him but couldn't think of anyone else from the board at that time.   Ormond is one of the ultimate greasy hobos.  I was only in first year and thought getting ormond was a big thing.  Wow!  What was the reaction amongst older jambos when he was appointed due to his hibs connections?

I'm not much older than you then.  I was aware Ormond had played for Hibs, but was more aware of him as the Scotland manager who took us to the 1974 WC finals, so like you I thought it was a big appointment.  I can't recall any initial backlash at us appointing him.  It was only later that it transpired he possibly had a bit of a drink problem (allegedly).

2 hours ago, Mr Kipling said:

Scotland are producing some left backs! Robertson, Tierney and now Hickey!

I'm pretty sure he has always been a right back who can play left, very impressive that he plays it so well that people don't know it's not his natural position.

Guest ToqueJambo
1 minute ago, brux said:

I'm pretty sure he has always been a right back who can play left, very impressive that he plays it so well that people don't know it's not his natural position.

We have a right back problem so good news for Steve Clarke. Why not throw him in against San Marino? And, not to head off topic, the likes of Billy Gilmour and Liam Henderson as well for that matter.

48 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

Horrible mob. Where Hearts have waived fees and ripped up contracts for youngsters looking to progress, that bunch make sure to get a finger in any ****ing pie. Nae wonder Scottish football is up the pole when self interest rules all.

On 27/09/2019 at 23:12, brux said:

I'm 70% sure it's the other way round

Hickey

Spoiler

proves Hearts have talent in the academy .

Top player worth £200M in today's market when looking at the shite level going for big money in EPL

Edited by shed1874