• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Auld Reekin'

• The Real Maroonblood

• Stuart Lyon

• Morgan

After 5 years of trying the breweries of Munich and the Klosters (Monastery breweries) outside Munich always come back to these 2.

Augustiner Lagerbier hell (Mehrweg)See the source image

You lager fans out there should get a Perfect Draft machine. Once you've tried the likes of Lowenbrau, Spaten or Jupiler from it, you'll never go back to bottles and cans.

Philips Perfect Draft HD3720/25 - Thuistap

2 hours ago, Preston Jambo said:

After 5 years of trying the breweries of Munich and the Klosters (Monastery breweries) outside Munich always come back to these 2.

the top one is class, haven’t had it in a ages , first time I tried it was in the caley sample rooms. Quality stuff.

2 hours ago, Preston Jambo said:

I went to the Andechs monestary years back and have to say its absolutely brilliant beer, both the dark and light ones 

Seymour M Hersh

I've not drunk lager for about 15 years barring the odd half on holiday in Spain. However once upon a time I used to drink it and when I started bevvying back in the mid 70's it was always draft lager. Tennents was usually decent Carlsberg was okay but you avoided Skol whenever possible. Later though I went off the draft Scottish stuff as you could get a great pint in one bar but just along the road the same make was bowl due to the pub not keeping the pipes clean or whatever. So I went on to bottled lager mostly US stuff like MGD and Rolling Rock. It was decent enough but my thinking was the consistency you got over draft.

Most of the stuff mentioned on this thread I've not even heard of before!! :laugh:

The Real Maroonblood
4 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Please tell me your on the wind-up, surely.

Tennants pish water, oh my goodness.

It must be a wind-up.

1 hour ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

It must be a wind-up.

It is.

He meant to write ‘Tennents can’t be spelt’.

:) 

5 hours ago, Craig_ said:

You lager fans out there should get a Perfect Draft machine. Once you've tried the likes of Lowenbrau, Spaten or Jupiler from it, you'll never go back to bottles and cans.

Been fancying one of these for a while. Bit of a hard sell to the missus. Will treat myself one day.

Samuel Camazzola
10 hours ago, Stuart Lyon said:

Alhambra Especial

Ambar Export - Special Red Brew

Cervezas Alhambra Reserva 1925

1906 Black Coupage

Is this the bottled one with no labels? The glass is green and embossed? I had an Alhambra of this description in the South of Spain. Very nice but was quite strong. 

10 hours ago, Irufushi said:

Modelo my favourite . 

Good choice! 🍻 

Taking things very slightly off-topic, a question for all you fellow fans of fine German beer: alongside a good hefeweiss, my favourite style of German beer is unfiltered lager or dunkel beer. However, I always seem to struggle with ordering it when I'm there. I've heard and seen it referred to under various terms: zwickel, kellerbier, klosterbier, but is there a better or more generic name I can use for this style of beer that will be recognised across Germany?

(Of course, much of any confusion caused to the long-suffering German bar-peeps could well be caused by my inability to speak their language or pronounce any of their words recognisably...)

35 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Is this the bottled one with no labels? The glass is green and embossed? I had an Alhambra of this description in the South of Spain. Very nice but was quite strong. 

Good choice! 🍻 

Aye, green bottles ,no label 👍 Another good lager. 

Edited by Irufushi

4 hours ago, Do The Dance said:

Been fancying one of these for a while. Bit of a hard sell to the missus. Will treat myself one day.

Few campsites over the last few summers in France had these,poured a very good pint.

Beerwulf(heineken) selling them at the moment,Good price and great choice of beers.

The Real Maroonblood
13 hours ago, Morgan said:

It is.

He meant to write ‘Tennents can’t be spelt’.

:) 

:laugh:

Must have been pished when he posted.

9 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Good choice! 🍻 

I think you mean this one

Reserva1925.jpeg

18 hours ago, Craig_ said:

Had mine nearly 2 years now......drinking rate has sky rocketed since then..!

best lagers would be Lowenbrau Oktoberfest and Spaten Oktoberfest....favorite though was the Franizkaner Royale, sadly now discontinued....

On 23/09/2019 at 19:55, AW1 said:

Lagers 

1. Tooheys Extra dry(Australia) 

2. Birra Moretti (Italy) 

3. Bellfield Brewery Bohemian Pilsner(Scotland) 

4. 1079 project (Some Aldi lager) 

5. Rheinbacher (Germany/Aldi) 

Beers 

1. Disco truck mango IPA (Glasgow, Scotland) 

2. Hazey Days (London, England) 

3. Cornraker (Orkney, Scotland) 

4. Trade Winds (Cairngorms, Scotland) 

5. Exmoor Gold (Devon, England) 

I like drinking

See that Disco Truck Mango IPA - is that brewed by the Drygate Brewery?  Popped in there on a glorious sunny Sunday before the recent Celtic game and was convinced to buy a pint of it, or something very similiar.  Flat af, and at 4.50 right put me in a wee tiff.  Was saying to my son I should just have got the peanut butter flavoured one as I'm sure it would have been better than this nonsense.

19 minutes ago, ArcticJambo said:

See that Disco Truck Mango IPA - is that brewed by the Drygate Brewery?  Popped in there on a glorious sunny Sunday before the recent Celtic game and was convinced to buy a pint of it, or something very similiar.  Flat af, and at 4.50 right put me in a wee tiff.  Was saying to my son I should just have got the peanut butter flavoured one as I'm sure it would have been better than this nonsense.

Disco Forklift Truck Mango Pale ale is indeed brewed by the Drygate Brewery which is just next door to Tennents, Wellgate Brewery.

3 minutes ago, Stuart Lyon said:

Disco Forklift Truck Mango Pale ale is indeed brewed by the Drygate Brewery which is just next door to Tennents, Wellgate Brewery.

Thanks, Stuart. :thumbsup:

I noticed that as we left, due to the Tennents Murals which coincidentally I passed on my last trip to Celtic park, 5 yrs previously in a LC game.  Anyway, my advice is avoid!  The cynic in me screamed - They were trying to get rid.

13 hours ago, Do The Dance said:

I have the opposite problem where my missus is constantly wiring into mine! 

2 hours ago, ArcticJambo said:

Thanks, Stuart. :thumbsup:

I noticed that as we left, due to the Tennents Murals which coincidentally I passed on my last trip to Celtic park, 5 yrs previously in a LC game.  Anyway, my advice is avoid!  The cynic in me screamed - They were trying to get rid.

I've not tried anything yet from the Drygate Brewery that I've actually enjoyed or would ever wish to drink again. Craft-beer bandwagon-jumping, backed by an industrial lager producer trying to earn hipster kudos? No ta.

The Williams Brothers themselves brew some decent beers though.

42 minutes ago, Auld Reekin' said:

I've not tried anything yet from the Drygate Brewery that I've actually enjoyed or would ever wish to drink again. Craft-beer bandwagon-jumping, backed by an industrial lager producer trying to earn hipster kudos? No ta.

The Williams Brothers themselves brew some decent beers though.

I've never ventured past their Gladeye !PA (take it you've tried), which at 5.5% and 1.49 a 500ml bottle in Aldi certainly does the trick for me! :thumbsup:

1 minute ago, ArcticJambo said:

I've never ventured past their Gladeye !PA (take it you've tried), which at 5.5% and 1.49 a 500ml bottle in Aldi certainly does the trick for me! :thumbsup:

Yup, tried it, didn't care for it. Not a fan of very hoppy beers though.

10 minutes ago, Auld Reekin' said:

Yup, tried it, didn't care for it. Not a fan of very hoppy beers though.

Aye, It's certainly hoppy.  I'm one of those that rarely ventures far from home when it comes to trying new stuff once I've established a liking for something.  Most likely missed out on a tonne of great stuff over the years. :(

Any hoppy beers that disgust you that you could recommend then, please.  :D

1 hour ago, Psychedelicropcircle said:

Paolozzi

Forgot about paolozzi. Done the Edinburgh beer factory tour at Bankhead a year ago. Well worth it if you haven't done it already 

3 hours ago, ArcticJambo said:

Try it from a cold can at home. A lot better 

1 hour ago, ArcticJambo said:

Aye, It's certainly hoppy.  I'm one of those that rarely ventures far from home when it comes to trying new stuff once I've established a liking for something.  Most likely missed out on a tonne of great stuff over the years. :(

Have a go at any of the lighter-coloured beers from the Tempest Brewery then!

23 minutes ago, Auld Reekin' said:

Have a go at any of the lighter-coloured beers from the Tempest Brewery then!

Will look out for them. :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, AW1 said:

Try it from a cold can at home. A lot better 

Aye, fruity best colder.

14 hours ago, Auld Reekin' said:

Taking things very slightly off-topic, a question for all you fellow fans of fine German beer: alongside a good hefeweiss, my favourite style of German beer is unfiltered lager or dunkel beer. However, I always seem to struggle with ordering it when I'm there. I've heard and seen it referred to under various terms: zwickel, kellerbier, klosterbier, but is there a better or more generic name I can use for this style of beer that will be recognised across Germany?

(Of course, much of any confusion caused to the long-suffering German bar-peeps could well be caused by my inability to speak their language or pronounce any of their words recognisably...)

As far as I know, there is no general term for such beers (other than to say unfiltered or unpasteurised and I get the feeling that would likely lead to some weird looks from the barman). If I was ordering in a bar in Germany, I would just ask them what kind of Kellerbier or Zwickel they have and let them reel off a few. I would tell you what to say in German but, if your accent is anything like mine and I imagine it is, they'll just give you a pitying look and respond back in English anyway .

54 minutes ago, Selkirk_Jambo said:

As far as I know, there is no general term for such beers (other than to say unfiltered or unpasteurised and I get the feeling that would likely lead to some weird looks from the barman). If I was ordering in a bar in Germany, I would just ask them what kind of Kellerbier or Zwickel they have and let them reel off a few. I would tell you what to say in German but, if your accent is anything like mine and I imagine it is, they'll just give you a pitying look and respond back in English anyway .

Cheers mate! Might try "Haben sie Zwickel oder Kellerbier?" and see how I get on with that. No-doubt however, as you suggest, I'll slightly (or very much) mispronounce one (or all) of the key words in that sentence and get the response above. Or just a blank look. 

It's lovely stuff though, so I'll persevere!   :booze:

c9a2a450ba59a27f49d45413ad092e85--german  *

(*Sorry, I've no idea whether there's beer in this picture or not or, if there is, whether it's actually unfiltered...)

I would just go with "Was für Kellerbier habt ihr?" if it's anyone younger than the age of 60 :D

26 minutes ago, Auld Reekin' said:

Cheers mate! Might try "Haben sie Zwickel oder Kellerbier?" and see how I get on with that. No-doubt however, as you suggest, I'll slightly (or very much) mispronounce one (or all) of the key words in that sentence and get the response above. Or just a blank look. 

It's lovely stuff though, so I'll persevere!   :booze:

c9a2a450ba59a27f49d45413ad092e85--german  *

(*Sorry, I've no idea whether there's beer in this picture or not or, if there is, whether it's actually unfiltered...)

Please. No need to apologise 😐 :D

1 hour ago, Selkirk_Jambo said:

I would just go with "Was für Kellerbier habt ihr?" if it's anyone younger than the age of 60 :D

Nah... I know "Haben sie..." is probably unnecessarily formal and polite (particularly as I'm not that far off 60 myself), but I'm reasonably confident I can pronounce it correctly and will understand the reply. It also means I won't have to try and learn another German phrase.   :thumbsup: 

(I jest of course: I'd love to be able to speak more and better German... if only I wasn't cursed with a severe allergy to actually putting in the effort required and it wasn't such a feckin' difficult language in the first place!) Anyway, Prost!   🍺

On 25/09/2019 at 12:18, ArcticJambo said:

Just remembered the name of another real-ale brewery you should try - I've hated every single beer I've tried by them - Oakham Ales! I can even tell you where to go to drink the horrible stuff: Thomson's Bar* in Morrison Street.   :Icky:

(*An otherwise excellent pub.)

(p.s. Their Bishop's Farewell was just about drinkable, so maybe you should steer clear of that one...   :thumbsup:  )

Edited by Auld Reekin'

Samuel Camazzola
On 25/09/2019 at 08:13, Stuart Lyon said:

I think you mean this one

Reserva1925.jpeg

That's the bad boy. Very nice in the Spanish sun. ☀ 

Think it's abv was 6%+.

13 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

That's the bad boy. Very nice in the Spanish sun. ☀ 

Think it's abv was 6%+.

I'll be enjoying a few in about 10 days.

On 25/09/2019 at 08:59, Stuart Lyon said:

7 quid a pint in Voyage of Buck !!