Tartan Army and their private war

i8hibsh

Last point first, desisting!:)

:peace:;)

Im not going to trawl the internet to get quotes for you, if you have not heard the thing he has said nor read them then i would imagine you are of a mind to agree with him. therefore you are correct i am not willing to scour the net provide examples to be confronted by, rivalry, and friendly banter responses.

But, dont get me wrong, while pro union, if we were to go about it in the right fashion. i.e. without the dirty politics and mud slinging, id be more inclined to listen.

The snp should be about more than slagging off the union and England imo.

I totally agree, however I think they are about much more than that.

One of the reasons I was asking for quotes, etc., is that - as far as I am concerned - Alex Salmond has always stated that he and the party he leads are in no way anti-English and that they seek to have the best possible relationship with England and the rest of the UK. Therefore I would be genuinely interested, and suprised, if anyone could come up with actual evidence that suggested otherwise.

He has been equally clear and consistent about his desire to see the Act of Union repealed, but this is very definitely not the same as being anti-English.

Many people seem to automatically equate one with the other, but if they were to actually listen to what Salmond says and read the SNP's stance on this matter then they might revise their opinions.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest S.U.S.S.
I totally agree, however I think they are about much more than that.

One of the reasons I was asking for quotes, etc., is that - as far as I am concerned - Alex Salmond has always stated that he and the party he leads are in no way anti-English and that they seek to have the best possible relationship with England and the rest of the UK. Therefore I would be genuinely interested, and suprised, if anyone could come up with actual evidence that suggested otherwise.

He has been equally clear and consistent about his desire to see the Act of Union repealed, but this is very definitely not the same as being anti-English.

Many people seem to automatically equate one with the other, but if they were to actually listen to what Salmond says and read the SNP's stance on this matter then they might revise their opinions.

It seems to me he talks but we hear slightly differnent things. Didnt mean to come accross as rude in an earlier post.

I just feel he has too many pot shots for my liking. BUT, i promise to listen to his next interview with renewed receptivness.:)

We could be great, we just need to stop spitting from the castle walls to realise it.

;)

Concentrating on this serves two purposes though:

1. It appeals to the romanticised wha's like us Brigadoon bigots of the Tartan Army and their ilk

Even if that is true, and I think your view of the SNP and Scottish society is extremely inaccurate and outdated, that is hardly the fault of the SNP themselves, is it?

2. Means they cannot be examined on normal political policies - economics, health, law & order, etc - that simply do not stand up to even basic scrutiny.

Oh, I don't know... You could always try examining them (http://www.snp.org/policies) and then let those interested know what weaknesses you see within them and exactly what aspects of them are in any way anti-English. Anti-Union, undoubtedly and unashamedly; but that is not the same as anti-English.

It seems to me he talks but we hear slightly differnent things. Didnt mean to come accross as rude in an earlier post.

I just feel he has too many pot shots for my liking. BUT, i promise to listen to his next interview with renewed receptivness.:)

We could be great, we just need to stop spitting from the castle walls to realise it.

;)

Nae bother: I sometimes get a bit narky about things I care about too. (And Hearts give me one helluva lot to get narky about these days...)

Oh, I don't know... You could always try examining them (http://www.snp.org/policies) and then let those interested know what weaknesses you see within them

I already have done, hence the reason I comprehensively dismantled each and every SNP supporter's arguments on the previous incarnation of this board. :)

I already have done, hence the reason I comprehensively dismantled each and every SNP supporter's arguments on the previous incarnation of this board. :)

Hmmmm... must've missed that devastating piece of political analysis. :dribble:

However, I'm still not hearing any evidence from anyone demonstrating that Alex Salmond, or the SNP's policies, are in any way racist, bigotted, or anti-English.

:sleepy::tumbleweed:

The dow a deers do think they are more Scottish tho and infuriates me

Think you've lost the plot. each to there own. Go and have a wee lye down

Sorry, I might be going blind but the first mention of england in this post was from yourself???

And I also find it a bit strange that you object to Scotland fans hating england but it is ok for you to hate Scotland fans...weird

I don't hate Scotland fans per sa

I hate Nationalistic do a dears

Would it be ok for Scotland fans to hate Republic of Ireland fans?

i hope so or I am a bad boy!:527:

Evidence...?

Quotes...?

Examples...?

Still waiting...

:tumbleweed:

I think Salmond fits quite snuggly into the following

1.One who is strongly partial to one's own group, religion, race, or politics and is intolerant of those who differ

2.a person who is utterly intolerant of any differing creed, belief, or opinion.

3.a person who constantly and stubbornly holds a particular point of view etc

I think you may find that is the word quite sifficiently summed up and backs up my little moniker for the fat little Scottish embarrasment

To quote Bart Simpson

"The ironing is delicious"

Is their a wee competition going on on this thread to see who can use the word irony most?

Can you show me where within my post i said that?

Do all hearts fans run hibs down during a conversation that has nothing to do with hibs?

no.

Salmond and his lot have a pop almost every time one of them get in front of a camera or gives an interview.

Small man with a large chip on his shoulder.

And a lot of chips in his belly my dear friend

I think Salmond fits quite snuggly into the following

1.One who is strongly partial to one's own group, religion, race, or politics and is intolerant of those who differ

2.a person who is utterly intolerant of any differing creed, belief, or opinion.

3.a person who constantly and stubbornly holds a particular point of view etc

I think you may find that is the word quite sifficiently summed up and backs up my little moniker for the fat little Scottish embarrasment

All of the above says so much more about you and your prejudices than it does about Salmond or the SNP. None of the three options you list above can in any way be applied to anything Salmond has said or done in the public arena, before or after the 2007 Scottish Parliamentary Elections.

It seems I need to repeat myself yet again:

Hard Evidence...?

Attributable Quotes...?

Specific Examples...?

Still waiting...

PROVE ME WRONG!!!

All of the above says so much more about you and your prejudices than it does about Salmond or the SNP. None of the three options you list above can in any way be applied to anything Salmond has said or done in the public arena, before or after the 2007 Scottish Parliamentary Elections.

Hard Evidence...?

Attributable Quotes...?

Specific Examples...?

Still waiting...

PROVE ME WRONG!!!

OFFS

I aint gonna go you tubing every video of his

the guy hates England and the English and as well as having a million chips in his fat body he has ahuge one on his shoulders.

Agree or disagree it's your choice (which I respect)

I can read his body language, read his subtle undertones etc in every interview

he is pathetic

He can't have a conversation without mentioning(well blaming) Westminster and England

I am utterly ashamed to be Scottish when his bile comes vomiting out his glutoneous mouth

Hard Evidence...?

Attributable Quotes...?

Specific Examples...?

Still waiting...

PROVE ME WRONG!!!

And please allow me the courtosy

provide me of some evidence of his pro Englishness?

I'd get a pot of coffee on as it may take you some time my friend

Guest S.U.S.S.

Good to see they stopped the trams!

Also great i can get St Andrews day off, whell if im a civil servant and give up one of my other days off.;)

So now we have Fat bigotted liar!

;):P

OFFS

I aint gonna go you tubing every video of his

the guy hates England and the English and as well as having a million chips in his fat body he has ahuge one on his shoulders.

Agree or disagree it's your choice (which I respect)

I can read his body language, read his subtle undertones etc in every interview

he is pathetic

He can't have a conversation without mentioning(well blaming) Westminster and England

I am utterly ashamed to be Scottish when his bile comes vomiting out his glutoneous mouth

I'm sensing you don't like the man... :coolgleamA:

Maybe, just maybe, this is colouring your views of him and the party he leads and is this causing you to overlook that you cannot come up with one shred of actual evidence that he is an anti-English bigot. Quite simply, you are unable to do this because no such evidence exists, due to the fact he is not!

Did anyone hear some Nationalist clown on unreal Glasgow Radio yestedray (Travel Clun spokesman)?

He got interviewed about the George Burley appointment

He goes yeah it's great in his skin crawl toe curling blood boiling weegie accent and goes on to say

whoever he appoints as his number 2 and number 3 you can assure you we will support him all we can

Nothing wrong with this so far you quite rightly say then he says

"It will be the only team GB we will support"

Firstly don't speak for me you weegie **** (I'll edit it for you mods to save you the hassle)

Why do these clowns ahev to bring England into the conversation ALL the time!

I hate em

You are obviously a wee bit hard of thinking. The guy was spokesman for the Association of Tartan Army Clubs (the "we" bit), and they are campaigning (along with English, Welsh and N.Irish fans groups) against the concept of TeamGB at the London Olympics.

ATAC do not "hate" England or the English, and have a working relationship with the Football Supporters Federation in England regarding opposing "Team GB" - there's a shock, the main supporters organisation in ENGLAND is against it as well, not just us "narrow minded" Scots...........

Nope

and I hate how these clowns think the only way to be Scottish is to

a.Hate England

b.Vote SNP

c.Be in Tartan Army

I do neither and I assure you I am as much Scottish as those scrotes

"Scrotes"? I think you need to research the subject matter before chucking around ill-informed insults.

1. It appeals to the romanticised wha's like us Brigadoon bigots of the Tartan Army and their ilk

Is this the standard of debate these days on Kickback? Pathetic.

The White Cockade

Oxford Concise English Dictionary :-

Irony - When a Celtic/Ireland/Scotland hating bigot goes all pc about the Tartan Army

The SNP are not an English hating organisation and in fact many Englishman, Welshmen etc are members of the Party

You may disagree with their policies but that doesn't make them racist or bigoted

The fact that Therapist et al continuously come out with this bilge is due to their own bigotry and no one elses - FACT!

You have dismantled all of the SNP policies with your reasoned arguments - em dream on sonny.....

Hard Evidence...?

Attributable Quotes...?

Specific Examples...?

Still waiting...

PROVE ME WRONG!!!

I wouldn't wait around, he's just mouthing off and as you say, it's speaks voluments for his own prejudices, especially whe he doesn't have a clue what he's talking about.

Guest S.U.S.S.

Frrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeedddddddddddddddddddddddoooooooooooooooooommmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!:P

angry understudy
I'd be very interested (and very surprised) if you could back-up that statement with a single example.

You are clearly pursuing a major "agenda" regarding the Scottish football team, their most active and loyal supporters, and those Scottish politicians whose views do not happen to coincide with yours, but you are happy to throw around accusations of bigotry at others.

Strange...

I agree 100%.

I think this could be a case of a raving Unionist bashing a raving Nationalist thus they are as bad as each other.

Also I don't think it is advisable to make such a comment about our democratically elected First Minister, the more fastidious peolple in society may consult with their legal teams. You should be careful what accusations you throw around in print on Internet forums.

Perticularly when there are paid up members of the SNP, such as myself, reading these comments in disbelief.

Perhaps the mods might care to remove the offending comment?

Guest S.U.S.S.
I agree 100%.

I think this could be a case of a raving Unionist bashing a raving Nationalist thus they are as bad as each other.

Also I don't think it is advisable to make such a comment about our democratically elected First Minister, the more fastidious peolple in society may consult with their legal teams. You should be careful what accusations you throw around in print on Internet forums.

Perticularly when there are paid up members of the SNP, such as myself, reading these comments in disbelief.

Perhaps the mods might care to remove the offending comment?

And perhaps the mods can be left to moderate their own board.

Also, are non paid up members not tattle tales then?;):P

I'd get a pot of coffee on as it may take you some time my friend

Didn't take too long at all. All taken from:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml;jsessionid=1FOCUESI1TXMHQFIQMFSFFOAVCBQ0IV0?xml=/news/2007/12/01/nsalmond101.xml&page=1

"If people in England want to have a referendum on Englishness they can ask their representatives. I think it is a good thing to have a developing sense of Englishness," he says. "An English parliament would be a good step."

"But the leader of the SNP laughs at the suggestion that he is infuriating the English on purpose"....."I would put it more positively. My objective is to build the confidence of the Scottish people so they will accept the normal responsibilities of being an independent country. The idea that I would propose to freeze the council tax in Scotland to irritate people in England is ridiculous. I don't get up in the morning wanting to annoy the English. I'm the biggest practising Anglophile in Scottish politics. I like the English."

So why does he find it so hard to share a flag and national identity with them? "The idea of national independence is about a country standing on its own two feet, governing its own affairs, having the self respect that self determination brings. It's not whether you like another country or not. I like Americans but I wouldn't suggest that we should be governed by America."

Would he support England or France at football? "It depends on the match. I would have preferred England to beat Croatia, I'm not passionate about it. I'm a Scottish supporter, but I'm not anti-England." He warms to his English theme. "There are lots of things I love about the English, the wealth of English literature, the sense of moderation, the inheritance of a democratic tradition - although qualified occasionally. The sadness is that Englishness has been lost. England has suffered a loss of identity far more than Scotland."

Don't the English and Scottish characteristics complement one another? "We can do well as equals. All I'm suggesting is that we recast the relationship. We'll still be United Kingdoms; there will still be a monarch and a social union. All that will happen is that there will be two parliaments and the two parliaments will be responsible for their own affairs. So you won't have those bossy Scots going down and reconfiguring English health and education without so much as a by your leave. Meanwhile, the Scots will be allowed to develop their own economy and their own resources and make their own way in the world."

angry understudy
I don't hate Scotland fans per sa

I hate Nationalistic do a dears

Well dosn't that make YOU the bigot?

Oh blimey, here's an other one.

Explain why?

Another what?...I support the Scottish national team like everyone else and am very proud to be Scottish..Why are the tartan army embarrassing?

Behaving like total morons abroad, lifting up their kilts to everyone, throwing up in the streets,thinking they are some kind of hillarious cult hit across Europe, celebrating defeats, constant anti-English references despite the fact the English dont even hate us. Basically just a bunch of silly little men giving my country a bad name.

Didn't take too long at all. All taken from:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml;jsessionid=1FOCUESI1TXMHQFIQMFSFFOAVCBQ0IV0?xml=/news/2007/12/01/nsalmond101.xml&page=1

"If people in England want to have a referendum on Englishness they can ask their representatives. I think it is a good thing to have a developing sense of Englishness," he says. "An English parliament would be a good step."

"But the leader of the SNP laughs at the suggestion that he is infuriating the English on purpose"....."I would put it more positively. My objective is to build the confidence of the Scottish people so they will accept the normal responsibilities of being an independent country. The idea that I would propose to freeze the council tax in Scotland to irritate people in England is ridiculous. I don't get up in the morning wanting to annoy the English. I'm the biggest practising Anglophile in Scottish politics. I like the English."

So why does he find it so hard to share a flag and national identity with them? "The idea of national independence is about a country standing on its own two feet, governing its own affairs, having the self respect that self determination brings. It's not whether you like another country or not. I like Americans but I wouldn't suggest that we should be governed by America."

Would he support England or France at football? "It depends on the match. I would have preferred England to beat Croatia, I'm not passionate about it. I'm a Scottish supporter, but I'm not anti-England." He warms to his English theme. "There are lots of things I love about the English, the wealth of English literature, the sense of moderation, the inheritance of a democratic tradition - although qualified occasionally. The sadness is that Englishness has been lost. England has suffered a loss of identity far more than Scotland."

Don't the English and Scottish characteristics complement one another? "We can do well as equals. All I'm suggesting is that we recast the relationship. We'll still be United Kingdoms; there will still be a monarch and a social union. All that will happen is that there will be two parliaments and the two parliaments will be responsible for their own affairs. So you won't have those bossy Scots going down and reconfiguring English health and education without so much as a by your leave. Meanwhile, the Scots will be allowed to develop their own economy and their own resources and make their own way in the world."

:Agree:

" Originally Posted by i8hibsh

I'd get a pot of coffee on as it may take you some time my friend "

:banghead2:

No I won't, "my friend", because nowhere in this post, or any other, have I said that Salmond is pro-English. I don't know if he is or not - although the answers he gives in the interview above suggest that he is much more so than many believe - but there is a big difference between not being pro-English (i.e. having an attitude to England and the English that is neutral or ambivalent) and being anti-English (having an active dislike of England or the English people).

Another what?...I support the Scottish national team like everyone else and am very proud to be Scottish..Why are the tartan army embarrassing?

Behaving like total morons abroad, lifting up their kilts to everyone, throwing up in the streets,thinking they are some kind of hillarious cult hit across Europe, celebrating defeats, constant anti-English references despite the fact the English dont even hate us. Basically just a bunch of silly little men giving my country a bad name.

A bad name? Voted fans of the tournament at France 98, applauded by home supporters whilst on foreign soil all over Europe. No violence. Extemely vocal throught games to SUPPORT OUR TEAM - yes what a terrible slur we are to Scotland..

Surly OUR problem lies at home? Glasgow, Edinburgh, Dundee (any big city) on a Saturday night. Drunks. Fighting. Puke. Racism. Bigotry. Vandalism. The list is huge. Thats a disgrace to Scotland, NOT the tartan army.

A bad name? Voted fans of the tournament at France 98, applauded by home supporters whilst on foreign soil all over Europe. No violence. Extemely vocal throught games to SUPPORT OUR TEAM - yes what a terrible slur we are to Scotland..

Surly OUR problem lies at home? Glasgow, Edinburgh, Dundee (any big city) on a Saturday night. Drunks. Fighting. Puke. Racism. Bigotry. Vandalism. The list is huge. Thats a disgrace to Scotland, NOT the tartan army.

This is part of the problem, thinking everyone in Europe adores the tartan army...thats a myth. Fair enough their not violent, but neither are Gretna fans...does that make them great?

Carl Weathers

These threads never fail to raise a smile.

I'm just delighted to see George Burley get the job, I was resigned to the fact Tommy Burns would get it.

A few folk on here would have hated Scotland even more then! :)

Carl Weathers
This is part of the problem, thinking everyone in Europe adores the tartan army...thats a myth. Fair enough their not violent, but neither are Gretna fans...does that make them great?

Most places give Scotland fans a friendly welcome because their reputation goes before them and that's pretty much a fact.

I think you've got a bit of a chip on your shoulder Mark. Compare Scotland fans to any other Nation's supporters, who would you prefer we were like? I can't think of many better.

These threads never fail to raise a smile.

I'm just delighted to see George Burley get the job, I was resigned to the fact Tommy Burns would get it.

Me too!

A few folk on here would have hated Scotland even more then! :)

:biggrin:

Guest S.U.S.S.
Most places give Scotland fans a friendly welcome because their reputation goes before them and that's pretty much a fact.

I think you've got a bit of a chip on your shoulder Mark. Compare Scotland fans to any other Nation's supporters, who would you prefer we were like? I can't think of many better.

Brazil

Have you seen the burds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

TBH i cant think of many worse. I just dont like all the clowning around in kilts and silly hats, celebrating defeats etc...we have great club fans IMO, but the tartan army are just a total cringe.

What a pile of absolute ill-informed tripe.

I have been following Scotland abroad for a few years, I've never lifted my kilt to anyone nor seen anyone do it. I have never puked up in the street, although I have seen guys outside Tynecastle do it :eek:

I have never seen anyone "celebrate" defeat, another tabloid driven myth that you've happily swallowed, I have encountered very few people in the TA who are "constantly anti-English" (do you understand the concept of rivalry?).

Can you give examples of when and where the TA have given Scotland a "bad name"? I can give you example's where the TA have given Scotland a "good name" if you want?

I have been following Scotland abroad for a few years, I've never lifted my kilt to anyone nor seen anyone do it. I have never puked up in the street, although I have seen guys outside Tynecastle do it :eek:

I have never seen anyone "celebrate" defeat, another tabloid driven myth that you've happily swallowed, I have encountered very few people in the TA who are "constantly anti-English" (do you understand the concept of rivalry?).

Can you give examples of when and where the TA have given Scotland a "bad name"? I can give you example's where the TA have given Scotland a "good name" if you want?

Spot on. I can't ever remember me celebrating a defeat of Scotland?! (I'm not an English fan...)

No thanks, heard it all before.

Its hardly rivalry...its completely one way.

Just because you personally dont behave like the rest of them doesnt change anything.

As for tabloid myths, I cant recall ever even reading about the tartan army in tabloids...sounds like paranoia to me.

And no i cant think of individual examples, im just speaking generally on their behaviour...its obviously causing great offence :rolleyes:

cashgenerator
Did anyone hear some Nationalist clown on unreal Glasgow Radio yestedray (Travel Clun spokesman)?

He got interviewed about the George Burley appointment

He goes yeah it's great in his skin crawl toe curling blood boiling weegie accent and goes on to say

whoever he appoints as his number 2 and number 3 you can assure you we will support him all we can

Nothing wrong with this so far you quite rightly say then he says

"It will be the only team GB we will support"

Firstly don't speak for me you weegie **** (I'll edit it for you mods to save you the hassle)

Why do these clowns ahev to bring England into the conversation ALL the time!

I hate em

Fair comment to be honest. Heaven forbid that someone be lighthearted on the radio.

No thanks, heard it all before.

Its hardly rivalry...its completely one way.

Just because you personally dont behave like the rest of them doesnt change anything.

As for tabloid myths, I cant recall ever even reading about the tartan army in tabloids...sounds like paranoia to me.

And no i cant think of individual examples, im just speaking generally on their behaviour...its obviously causing great offence :rolleyes:

Well if we get the game against them at Wembley at the end of May we will see how much the rivalry is there. Gauranteed trouble I'd suggest. English jackies have the rep for fighting remember...

Never read about the TA in the tabloids??! I take it you A) Can't read or B) buy and read broadsheets which I doubt. Remember the Italy game last year and the French game? The TA were in the papers EVERY day!!!

Jeez, is it Unionist Ladies Night on the easily offended bus the night?

Ding ding!

Archived