The Dentist

AlimOzturk

2 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

The injection to numb the gums isn't too bad. Sharp pain at first like any jag but it's more just uncomfortable whilst they slowly inject the stuff. 

That's assuming they don't stick the needle directly into one of your nerves which is what happened to me a year ago. Probably the sorest pain I've ever experienced but it was also there and gone within less than a second.

Thats what i just had to get done as when they where driling i still felt it and it wasnt very pleasant. The nerve blocker made the whole left side of my cheek numb. I felt like i had been 12 rounds with Mike Tyson. They could have litterly yanked every tooth out on my left side of my mouth and i woulnt have felt a thing after that injection.

The actual injuection was horrific tbh but like you say is over and done with fairly quick,

10 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Thats what i just had to get done as when they where driling i still felt it and it wasnt very pleasant. The nerve blocker made the whole left side of my cheek numb. I felt like i had been 12 rounds with Mike Tyson. They could have litterly yanked every tooth out on my left side of my mouth and i woulnt have felt a thing after that injection.

The actual injuection was horrific tbh but like you say is over and done with fairly quick,

My teeth are quite healthy. I've not had to get a brand new filling for about 10 years. However I had to get 4 fillings in my teens which have all fallen out fully or partially about 3 times each. I've had to get the injection at least 20 times in the last 15 years. Each time they fall out they need to make the hole slightly bigger. One tooth has had to be re-done that many times that I now have a crown on it.

Edited by hughesie27

14 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

Have avoided the dentist for the last few years as I honestly dread it. Stupidly, I let things get fair bad but thankfully my dentist managed to sort it all out. 

Four fillings, a root canal a wisdom tooth extraction and scale and polish later and my teeth have never felt this good in years. 

Suppose my advice is dont avoid the dentist no matter how uncomfortable it is for you. 

Had 3 days of pain with a root canal, extraction from now on.

All roads lead to Gorgie

Root canal work was the worst experience I have had at the Dentist. It didn't work either and after a couple of months of lingering pain I needed an extraction anyway. 

Most other visits have been straightforward apart from having old fillings replaced. The first few seconds of the drill are the worst as you are not sure if the jag has had enough time to work but only once I have had to tell the dentist to stop and they topped up the dose before starting again.

2 hours ago, BarneyBattles said:

A dentist told me they always try to hit the nerve as although it feels like you've stuck your tongue into a live socket it virtually guarantees you won't feel a thing getting drilled. It's only happened to me once and as you say, it's a bit sore but only very briefly.

Definitely went instantly numb now you mention it.